PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl picks: ESPN experts weigh in

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Too many to list so here is the link to all of the picks by ESPN folks (apparently excluding Ditka, Keyshawn, Jackson & Carter) - looks like a tilt to Green Bay overall

Michael Wilbon: Steelers, 28-24

As great as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have been for an entire decade, I think "Big Ben" and Aaron Rodgers are now the two best quarterbacks playing in the league. Roethlisberger is still underrated by his peers and the people who watch football, and we're going to be reminded of that Sunday.

Berman and Steve Young (it will kill Young if #7 gets another ring) are picking the Packers - since I am no fan of either of those gasbags that is fine by me

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?page=superbowlpicks11

Had to scroll to the bottom of one of his mailbag columns to get to it, but SportsGuy/PatriotsFanboy Bill Simmons is also picking the Packers - Simmons wouild have written a week's worth of columns on the glory of why the Pats would win if they had made it, but we get this instead -

Green Bay 37, Pittsburgh 27. Why? Because the Packers pulled a fast one on us this year. They probably should have been a 14-win juggernaut, but injuries and bad luck knocked them down to the wild card. They probably should have been remembered as one of those ridiculously fast, comically explosive, scary-in-a-dome passing teams on the level of the '99 Rams or '98 Vikings, but they were stuck playing in the NFC North. Even this week, they probably should have been favored by more than three against a banged-up Steelers team that ground out two less-than-impressive but gritty home playoff victories, but everyone's been so blinded by Big Ben stories and the possibility of another Pittsburgh dynasty that we talked ourselves into it being an even game. And maybe it will be. I just know I'm not going against Aaron Rodgers indoors. Not this year, anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110204&sportCat=nfl

MDSteel15
02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Awesome! Berman is usually wrong anyways!!! :tt02:

Jackal
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Hasn't Berman picked against us in the past 2 Super Bowls, as well? I'm almost certain he did.

4xSBChamps
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Awesome! Berman is usually wrong anyways!!! :tt02:

"... Berman... lemme tell you sumpin... you don't know the difference between crap & apple-butter...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/MeshawnholdingDitkashand.jpg

... and get your hand off mine, Meshawn!!!"

GMU Steeler
02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Wilbon's always been I think on the money about us. I know he's more of a basketball guy than football but he gets it when it comes to the Steelers and Ben. I think this game will be a close one myself.

TRH
02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
you could tell Keyshawn hates us and doesn't want to see us win. It didn't even seem like a fair and balanced discussion.
As for the bitter Steve Young, he does hate us, and yes, it would KILL him to see Ben get another one. God forbid the Steelers pull another Lombardi trophy away from the 49er's total.

TRH
02-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Ditka had a ton of kind words for our team and how great the organization, players, and coaches are. Said that we are the model franchise.

acidburn517
02-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Why does Steve Young hate Ben and the Steelers so much? I don't get it.

Also, It looks like lot of these experts just expect the Packers to runaway with this thing. The way they talk, you would think we were as inept and untalented as Cleveland or something. I know we were underdogs for XL too but I don't remember the press hype up the other team as much as they have the Packers. It's really annoying.

FanSince72
02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure that I would disagree with Simmons and I think his is a pretty fair assessment of GB. They actually DO remind me of the Kurt Warner Rams and unless we can put together a complete effort on Sunday, GB will be a formidable opponent.

I'm not saying that they are going to run up a ton of points or that our secondary is going to get torched, but a few untimely mistakes on our part could let that happen.

It's gonna be close I think and I'm hoping that the complete game that we haven't had all year (at least against anyone worth fighting) is there on Sunday. If it is, I think we can win.

If it isn't...?

Who knows?

TRH
02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=acidburn517;914616] Why does Steve Young hate Ben and the Steelers so much? I don't get it.

Because of this: How many SB trophies to the 49ers have? Its 5, right? 4 with Montana, 1 with Young.
The Steelers have 6. One more than the 49ers. If we win another one, that will be 7 and we will be pulling away from the 49ers. The bitter Steve Young can't seem to handle that. I wouldnt' say he "cut's us down" persay...but he definitely goes out of his way to try and knock us down a peg or two every chance he gets.

Third Rail
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Steve Young hates us because he thinks Ben is inferior to him despite already having one more ring as a starting QB.

Gee Steve, you ever think that if Ben had the opportunity to learn from JOE F***ING MONTANA and throw passes to Jerry Rice, he might have thrown 6 TDs in his first Super Bowl appearance?

TailgateMel
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Boomer picked us to lose against the Ravens and the Jets too...

NYC_Steeler
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
ESPN picks: 37 for Packers, 12 for Steelers. If we were to go by picks, it would be very depressing to think about it - that's why we wait for the game. I want the Steelers to crush the Packers - and show these so-called "experts" (more like buffoons) who really is America's Team.

Fire Haley
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Ditka and Mort were the only ones picking the Steelers to beat the Jets

steelerchad
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM

Also, It looks like lot of these experts just expect the Packers to runaway with this thing. The way they talk, you would think we were as inept and untalented as Cleveland or something. I know we were underdogs for XL too but I don't remember the press hype up the other team as much as they have the Packers. It's really annoying.

We were actually pretty heavy favorites in XL. The 6th seeded Steelers were a 4 point favorite over the #1 seed Seahawks.

Jackal
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, according to ESPN, we don't have a chance. Is it just me, or do these picks royally piss anyone else off, too? How can so-called "experts" be swayed by one team just because they have been dubbed the "hot" team and overlook all of the intangibles that got the Steelers here in the first place?

Am I being a homer in refusing to think that GB really is better than us?

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah, according to ESPN, we don't have a chance. Is it just me, or do these picks royally piss anyone else off, too? How can so-called "experts" be swayed by one team just because they have been dubbed the "hot" team and overlook all of the intangibles that got the Steelers here in the first place?

Am I being a homer in refusing to think that GB really is better than us?

A lot of the perception is based upon the Steelers getting shredded by New England and Brees getting hot starting in the 2nd quarter of the Saints loss in a dome - not many QBs with that kind of skill set can spread out the receivers and make the throws against the Steelers, but this definitelly is a step up from Colt McCoy, Flacco, and Sanchez

stb_steeler
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=acidburn517;914616] Why does Steve Young hate Ben and the Steelers so much? I don't get it.

Because of this: How many SB trophies to the 49ers have? Its 5, right? 4 with Montana, 1 with Young.
The Steelers have 6. One more than the 49ers. If we win another one, that will be 7 and we will be pulling away from the 49ers. The bitter Steve Young can't seem to handle that. I wouldnt' say he "cut's us down" persay...but he definitely goes out of his way to try and knock us down a peg or two every chance he gets.

The way i see how the 49ers of today are, they'd be lucky if they could catch a cold.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Steve Young hates us because he thinks Ben is inferior to him despite already having one more ring as a starting QB.

Gee Steve, you ever think that if Ben had the opportunity to learn from JOE F***ING MONTANA and throw passes to Jerry Rice, he might have thrown 6 TDs in his first Super Bowl appearance?

This is true! I am originally from Pittsburgh but lived mostly in Henderson, NV (very close to Las Vegas). I don't want to get into a religious discussion here but Mormons are very competitive. The majority of Mormons are above everyone else. My best friend is Mormon and he isn't like the rest of the flock. I grew up surrounded by Steve Young's type. Again, I'm not attempting to get into a religious discussion but want you to understand it is a cultural trait of his. Mormons = clean life Everything one else = sinners (i.e., Ben Roth). He hates the fact that Ben is successful! Ultimately, we are all human beings and we all make mistakes. I agree, we should learn from our mistakes and grow together.

wootawnee
02-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Steve Young has issues.....He is biased cause he cannot fathom young guys doing their own thing good cause he couldn't............He just hates the Steelers deep inside and cannot hide his true emotions and I find this unprofessional......Matt Millan calls him out on it all the time and it just makes me laugh............

Steve Young is forever damaged goods by the SF media cause he could not replace JOE !!!!!! They hated him cause he sucked compared to the great one.........

Please look at his shitty big game record.........

1991 10- 6 missed the playoffs
1992 14-2 lost champ game to dallas
1993 10-6 lost champ game to dallas
1995 11-5 lost div to Green bay
1996 12-4 lost div game to Green bay
1997 13-3 lost champ game to Green Bay
1998 12-4 lost div to atlanta

Steve Young sucked in the big games......And he sucks as a comentator.........

He has major mental issues..........

FanSince72
02-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Let's see...

According to most over at "Talking Head Central" (THC),

Aaron Rodgers is going to throw for somewhere between 350 and 450 yds.
He has the quickest release ever seen since homo sapiens began throwing objects
Green Bay's receivers are too good
Their defense is at least as good
We had problems against Brady and Brees and so Aaron Rodgers (being better than either of them) will give us fits
We can't protect Ben.

So is there like a place where we can send in some kind of "Forfeit Letter" or something? Because according to THC (yes, I'm thinking the same thing), it seems to me that playing the game at all would be a waste of time.

I think we should try anyway and...

BEAT THE LIVIN' SHIT OUT OF RODGERS AND THE PACKERS AND LEAVE THE CORPSES IN ESPN's" STUDIO WITH CHEESE WEDGES SHOVED UP THEIR *****!.

pitt0wns
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
The Chicago D held them to how many points?

lol

Rotorhead
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
It does get old and maybe I am a Homer too but I feel more comfortable in winning this game than I did the last two. Both the Jets and Balt have a better def than GB. Seeing what the Bears def did to GB makes me feel fine about this game. Knowing we will able to run and our playmakers we are just the more talented team top to bottom. I am also so sick of hearing how they have the best recieving corps in the league, really? They don't even have a decent TE so I would say ours tops theirs, especially the last few weeks! I don't know, I honestly think this will be a multi-touchdown lead by us at the end.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Ditka had a ton of kind words for our team and how great the organization, players, and coaches are. Said that we are the model franchise.

Ditka picks the Packers - maybe it is a NFC North thing?:noidea:

Keyshawn, Carter and Tom Jackson picking the Steelers

http://espn.go.com/nfl/notebook/_/page/sundaycountdown10/your-weekly-nfl-guide

Jaws (whom I respect tremendously) & Hoge (no shock there) go with the Steelers

Allen, Golic, Mort, Schefter, Schlereth & Wickersham go with Green Bay

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

Green Bay appears to be a pretty overwhelming pick with the spread so tight

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 06:57 PM
One more

Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints head coach and guest analyst: 34-20: “Aaron Rodgers has the time to throw and will spread out the Steelers’ defense.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

This one bothers me because the Saints showed how that can be done

4xSBChamps
02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
One more

Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints head coach and guest analyst: 34-20: “Aaron Rodgers has the time to throw and will spread out the Steelers’ defense.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

This one bothers me because the Saints showed how that can be done

exactly... was listening to Tunch & Wolf today, and they said what I'd been thinking earlier this week, that GB may go 5-wide / empty backfield / no Tight End, to limit Pittsburgh putting men in the box, and restricting their blitz:
it makes sense
:noidea:

mesaSteeler
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
"ESPN Experts" is an oxymoron!

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
"ESPN Experts" is an oxymoron!

Their headline - I just did the cut & paste:chuckle: