PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Steelboy84
02-04-2011, 02:53 PM
The Steelers and cornerback Ike Taylor are discussing a new contract to keep the pending free agent in Pittsburgh, the Tribune-Review reported Friday.

Taylor, a six-year starter who would be one of the top free agents at his position, talked about the prospects of a new deal Thursday during the players' final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

"There have been conversations," Taylor said in Fort Worth, Texas. "I've talked with a few people in this organization about remaining here. They know I want to retire as a Steeler.

"I've been telling them I want to be here since the beginning of the season. Now it's getting down to this point."

The Steelers have plenty of financial incentive to sign Taylor to a long-term contract sooner than later. Using a franchise tag on Taylor could cost them close to $10 million next season, the Tribune-Review noted.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e1ec5d/article/taylor-confirms-contract-talks-with-steelers-are-in-progress

isunormalil
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
The Steelers and cornerback Ike Taylor are discussing a new contract to keep the pending free agent in Pittsburgh, the Tribune-Review reported Friday.

Taylor, a six-year starter who would be one of the top free agents at his position, talked about the prospects of a new deal Thursday during the players' final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

"There have been conversations," Taylor said in Fort Worth, Texas. "I've talked with a few people in this organization about remaining here. They know I want to retire as a Steeler.

"I've been telling them I want to be here since the beginning of the season. Now it's getting down to this point."

The Steelers have plenty of financial incentive to sign Taylor to a long-term contract sooner than later. Using a franchise tag on Taylor could cost them close to $10 million next season, the Tribune-Review noted.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e1ec5d/article/taylor-confirms-contract-talks-with-steelers-are-in-progress

No way you franchise Taylor. You would sign Nnamdi Asomugha before you pay Taylor that kind of franchise dough. Taylor is solid...but not top 5 cb material.

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
No way you franchise Taylor. You would sign Nnamdi Asomugha before you pay Taylor that kind of franchise dough. Taylor is solid...but not top 5 cb material.

That's a good point. I wish we could get both. We would be an instant Dynasty. BMac is definitely the weak link on the team. Maybe he would be a good nickel CB competing with Gay and Butler for that spot.

I wish wish wish Nmandi would just say forget the money and come play for us for 7 mill per year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-04-2011, 03:30 PM

Taylor is MOST CERTAINLY a top 5 cornerback, his only knock is that he has hands like bricks and never makes the interception. He routinely gets the other team's #1 WR, and for the most part, holds them pretty much to a few catches for maybe 20 or 30 yards.

mcg24
02-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Taylor is MOST CERTAINLY a top 5 cornerback, his only knock is that he has hands like bricks and never makes the interception. He routinely gets the other team's #1 WR, and for the most part, holds them pretty much to a few catches for maybe 20 or 30 yards.

Come on, top 5? No way. You can make an argument for top 10, but not top 5.

OX1947
02-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Come on, top 5? No way. You can make an argument for top 10, but not top 5.

He has top 5 cover ability but quite possible bottom 5 of all time hands. Corners have to get INTs. He has 11 freakin INTs in 8 years.Thats a little over 1 INT a year. Come on. I sign him, but he isnt top 5 money.

Rotorhead
02-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I can see top 10 but I dont think top 5. IF he could catch then he would be close if not in the top 5.

pete74
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Taylor is a top 8 corner in my mind. cover wise he is really good and he really excels in helping stop the run and tackeling were most corners suck in that area. actually i would probably say there are8 corners i would rather have but i would never want to see Taylor leave. hopefully he agrees to a fair price.

regardless if we sign him we need to draft a corner in the first 2 rounds

MDSteel15
02-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I wish wish wish Nmandi would just say forget the money and come play for us for 7 mill per year.

If he is as smart as he tries to sound, he would do this! But money changes peoples perception of what they want... :noidea:

austinfrench76
02-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Top 10, not 5, only because of his hands. The problem with Ike is that he has games and in some cases season where he is absolutely unbelievable and becasue he draws the other teams best recievers he will occasionally get beat. WORST HANDS EVER though!!!!

MattsMe
02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Ike is the most underrated corner in the league. Especially by Steeler fans.

mcg24
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Underrated I absolutely agree with, just not top 5.

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
If he is as smart as he tries to sound, he would do this! But money changes peoples perception of what they want... :noidea:

Wouldn't that be awesome? (Nmandi coming to Pitt). I think I would have trouble sleeping. I would be too excited. I would no longer be afraid of the Pats. Can you imagine Ike covering the second best receiver and Nmandi covering the best. Then we would have Troy and clark roaming? We would probably become the #1 pass defense.

We could win 3 championships. The other thing is if we signed him, we would save one of our draft picks and not have to get a CB. We could see whether either Butler or Lewis has developed to challenge Gay and BMac.

With our amazing linebackers we would be an instant Dynasty. Young Money Crew would come along and Mendy is only 23. Redman, Heath, Ben.

The only weakness would be the O-line. We can get around that.

I wish I were his friend, I would be able to convince him. Championships are more important. Also being part of the Steelers dynasty, he could get endorsements and learn under Lebeau for a year or so.

Whatever happens, I hope he does not go to Baltimore.

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Taylor is a top 8 corner in my mind. cover wise he is really good and he really excels in helping stop the run and tackeling were most corners suck in that area. actually i would probably say there are8 corners i would rather have but i would never want to see Taylor leave. hopefully he agrees to a fair price.

regardless if we sign him we need to draft a corner in the first 2 rounds

You hedged. I like it. I can go top 8. Bottom line is we need him. I just wish we could pair him with Nmandi.

pete74
02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
You hedged. I like it. I can go top 8. Bottom line is we need him. I just wish we could pair him with Nmandi.

i would love that to but i think we have a better shot at JJ from the bengals.

El Nino
02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
ike taylor is like rod woodson with dwight stone's stone hands :chuckle:

anyone else think gay is better than b-mac right now? gay has really stepped up his game since last year

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
i would love that to but i think we have a better shot at JJ from the bengals.

Yeah. You mentioned that. i'd like him too but I can tell he wants big money. He was dropping hits that he'd be fine with the franchise tag... The only thing I don't know is if that was in response to a question.

Seriously though, Nmandi should consider it...the fun of owning 3 rings and eing more famous and having more fun preparing each week...

I wish they would just institute a player cap like in Basketball...and set it at like 10 million.

Nobody has thrown at Nmandi for a while...they just avoid him.

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
ike taylor is like rod woodson with dwight stone's stone hands :chuckle:

anyone else think gay is better than b-mac right now? gay has really stepped up his game since last year

It's hard to tell if Gay is better than BMac since he is covering lesser talent. Gay plays a lot. We use the nickel a lot.

Hampton may get a lot of rest in this game.

I like Ike a lot. Even when he slows down in 3 years, we can use him as a nickel corner.

pete74
02-04-2011, 06:32 PM
yea if we had Nmandi we would have the most fearful defense in the NFL(as long as we resigned Ike). if i was in his shoes i would take the pay cut to come here. he already made a ton of money

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
yea if we had Nmandi we would have the most fearful defense in the NFL(as long as we resigned Ike). if i was in his shoes i would take the pay cut to come here. he already made a ton of money

I know right? You can be part of something great. You could be even better well known. Players say they play to win SBs...why not do it? What the difference between 11 million and 7 million? 40% of the difference would go to the government anyway.

We would be a Dynasty. Lebeau could even mix some man-blitz schemes in if teams only had 2 WRs on the field. he could blitz Troy, Clark, Harrison, Woodley, Hampton, Keisel, and Hood. Timmons could pick up the TE. Nmandi and Ike could play lockdown man on the WRs. Farrior could rome to look out for RBs coming out for safety valves. Beast.

El Nino
02-04-2011, 07:53 PM
It's hard to tell if Gay is better than BMac since he is covering lesser talent. Gay plays a lot. We use the nickel a lot.

Hampton may get a lot of rest in this game.

I like Ike a lot. Even when he slows down in 3 years, we can use him as a nickel corner.

i dont know, bmac when he was playing injured was playing the #3 wr's with gay on the #2, and I thought he might have been doing a better job than bmac. in any case his play has greatly improved from last year.

Farrior_roirraW
02-04-2011, 09:31 PM

This.

SteelKnight
02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
i dont know, bmac when he was playing injured was playing the #3 wr's with gay on the #2, and I thought he might have been doing a better job than bmac. in any case his play has greatly improved from last year.

You might be right but i don't like that image for exaqmple of how House beat him on that final Ravens play. If Housh had not dropped the ball, that would have been a first down.

I think he is a good nickel CB and will be good guarding the 3rd best receiver. He may be able to guard Driver though. Since the packers have 4WRs I have no idea what we are going to do. I hope we just keep the nickel. I don't want Madison on the field. I was saying, Mundy would be a good option. He has better field awareness than Madison.

Gay is better. i remember i wanted him cut but after the way he played early in the season I was impressed. He's starting to slip again. He's perfect as a nickel back.

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 03:43 AM
The contract will be interesting. Reports said that 8.27/year is 14th (Tramon Williams) while 9.73/year is 3rd (Charles Woodson). Clearly Ike is somewhere in between those.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/111080709.html

Consider that we only offered Clark 3.5 million per year, bitterness might ensue if they offer Ike 9 million. I wish Ike would just take 7.5 million and call it a day. Troy is so popular, he really should give us a discount. He gives this peaceful image like the soul is the most important and God is first so I hope he doesn't take us to the cleaners. Ed Reed only took a little less than 7.5 million per year. I wish Troy would just take 8 million...which is higher than his 7.53 M contract now. He can get tons and tons off endorsements if he wants.

SacknificentStew56
02-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Ike will get paid but as we all know, the bank won't get broke wide open for him. We also have Woodley to pay along with plenty other guys.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-05-2011, 07:05 AM
I was thinking 8 or 7 as well. However, its a contract year luckily the terms of contracts for him are different them Wood's, other teams want a top CB, he is a free agent, and has played extremely well.

He will get a 5 contract, or hopefully something for the home town.

They can't Franchise him as Woodley will be getting that as the CBA won't be done yet.

btaylor179
02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
hes not that good....bottom line...

btaylor179
02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
if he can shut down jennings then we will see

SH-Rock
02-05-2011, 07:28 AM
The Standard is the Standard. If Ike foolishly wishes to leave then we'll get another guy who will have to and want to play like/better than him.

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
They can't Franchise him as Woodley will be getting that as the CBA won't be done yet.

I agree that is their plan. Sign Ike then franchise Woodley with the promise to start negotiating wen there is a new CBA and the 30% rule is gone.

The Standard is the Standard. If Ike foolishly wishes to leave then we'll get another guy who will have to and want to play like/better than him.

Yeah...eventually we would recover. In the short term (maybe 1-2 years), we would suffer though. That defense would be picked apart with BMac and Gay as the 2 starters. It would really be tossing aside those seasons.

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Ike is very underrated and is a very very important piece to our success over the years. Lets hope we can land him a fair contract to where he can retire a Steeler! The guy has seriously earned his due. #24 brings it and NEEDS to bring it come Sunday. He may be a sleeper....

SH-Rock
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Ike is very underrated and is a very very important piece to our success over the years. Lets hope we can land him a fair contract to where he can retire a Steeler! The guy has seriously earned his due. #24 brings it and NEEDS to bring it come Sunday. He may be a sleeper....

I was watching the '08 Super Bowl and after looking at Larry's TD with coverage by Ike, I have to give kudos to Larry. Ike had perfect coverage and you couldn't ask anything else. 9 times out of 10 that ball would've dropped.

xli...
02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Ike will get paid but as we all know, the bank won't get broke wide open for him. We also have Woodley to pay along with plenty other guys.

Isn't Woodley a free agent next year? If there is a next year...

Rick5895
02-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I hope they can resign Ike. IMO the franchise tag, if used, will be for Woodley. When the Steelers brought back the 4 former players (Lefty, BMac, Foote, ARE) in the spring I am sure part of the reason, aside from the huge dividends in depth, was to show this group of potential free agents, that playing elsewhere isn't neccesarily a good thing. If the Steelers and Ike are talking I will be willing to wager, Ike wants to stay and will give the "hometown discount" to stay.
I also feel that Ike is a top 5 or 6 CB. Sure he gets beat every now and then, so do all of the best corners, but he routinely shuts down the other teams best WR, and I don't think that will change this Sunday when he covers and defeats Jennings.

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Isn't Woodley a free agent next year? If there is a next year...

Woodley is hands down our #1 option and he seems pretty laid back about it and just wants to play. He'll get his money and it'll be here.