PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' mentality won't change

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/today/s_450641.html

"Don't make too much of it when Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt says he'll call more pass plays this season.
And, please, don't talk about how great it would be to "open up the offense."

The offense already is open.

Flash back to the playoff win at Indianapolis, when Ben Roethlisberger went 6 for 7 on a 10-play, 84-yard first drive. Recall the AFC title game, when Roethlisberger dropped back on seven of the first 10 snaps and 15 of the first 23............."

Midnightwriter07
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Still, it's instructional to note that even when they "opened up" in the playoffs, the Steelers still ran the ball 58 percent of the time.

We're a running football team, first and foremost. That's what we do. That's the mentality of our line, and that gives us a physical attitude."

I think the "attitude" is over looked alot by people who want us to turn into the colts because we have Big Ben and some decent receivers. When you can punch teams in the mouth with your ground game, that makes them not want to play you, not want to be on the field while your getting first down after first down and hitting them in the mouth while doing it. I hope doesnt change.

clevestinks
05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Ben was in his second year, Miller in his first season, this offense is on the move, we will never forget or abandon the run, but we will looked to Ben more often

SteelerzGirl
05-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree with Cleve and said so when I saw who the Steelers drafted this year. I think we're going to see a lot more air attack this season.

Stlrs4Life
05-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I believe we are fine the way we are.

Suitanim
05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
The Steelers drafted a speed-burner WR, and moved up in the first round to get him.

A couple years ago, the Steelers drafted a speed-burner safety, and moved up in the draft to get him. He single-handedly changed the entire complexion of the Steelers defense.

Why would it surprise anyone if Holmes brought the same changes to the offense?

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 11:07 PM
The Steelers drafted a speed-burner WR, and moved up in the first round to get him.

A couple years ago, the Steelers drafted a speed-burner safety, and moved up in the draft to get him. He single-handedly changed the entire complexion of the Steelers defense.

Why would it surprise anyone if Holmes brought the same changes to the offense? ben has been right at the top in passer efficiency and yards per attempt since he came into the league. that wont change. cowher wont run up the score once he gets a lead, and will turn to grind it out, ball control offense. none of that will change. scoring early, quick, and often will be just that much easier though.

this is a strange dichotomy, cause if the offense becomes more explosive and productive in the passing game (holmes+reid+miller, and of course hines and willie) it will lead to more games of ben on the bench in the 2nd half, and our 3rd and 4th string running backs running out the clock in the latter parts of games.

clevestinks
05-06-2006, 05:47 AM
I agree with Cleve and said so when I saw who the Steelers drafted this year. I think we're going to see a lot more air attack this season.
I like when the ladies agree! :cool: