PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers Have Already Lost

mesaSteeler
02-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Howard Fineman
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fineman/the-steelers-have-already_b_819008.html

The Steelers Have Already Lost

WASHINGTON -- As a Pittsburgh native it pains me to say this but here goes: Even if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, they've already lost.

Fate, fashion and their own faults combine to put the Steelers in a no-win situation in Sunday's matchup with the Green Bay Packers.

The Steelers are the bad guys. There is nothing they can do about it. If they win, it's because they are rotten and brutal, or so it will be said. If they lose, they will have deserved it, because they are rotten and brutal, or so it will be said.

Why? Well, let's start where we must, with Big Ben. His actions last year in that Georgia college town -- even though they didn't result in criminal charges -- are too awful for most of the country, and (still) for many people in Pittsburgh, to stomach. Where diehard Steelers fans see a brave quarterback, millions of others see a cowardly, spoiled kid who used his posse to assist his sexual predations.

No amount of holy water sprinkled by the Rooneys can absolve him. And no amount of smiling for the cameras will put Ben Roethlisberger in the same likability league with Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, who runs like a thoroughbred, who throws like Elway, who has the long, sad visage of a French count, and who went to Berkeley.

Then there is the "dirty play" issue. This is, in my view, a completely phony charge, but the Steelers themselves have made their situation worse with their words. I know football and I know that Pittsburgh does NOT play a different or more violent game. It's just that they are better and more focused at it, and they rose to prominence via ferocious defense and frightening pictures of a toothless Jack Lambert.

The Steelers were in the wrong place at the wrong time when Commissioner Roger Goodell, whose father was an anti-war congressman, decided suddenly to express late-in-the-day concern about rough play in the NFL, even as the league was selling videos of its greatest "hits."

James Harrison and Hines Ward, two of the toughest men ever to play the game, made the mistake of taking issue with Goodell and the league. Now they are being portrayed as evil, soulless dudes who don't care if they concuss themselves or give concussions to others. They are seen, at best, as pathetic, indentured gladiators sacrificing their brains for the sake of a big paycheck.

The tougher the Steelers play on Sunday, the less they will be liked no matter what the score is. If, say, Harrison puts Rodgers on the ground, all the talk will be about whether it was a legal hit, not whether it was a great play.

The New Yorker just ran a story about whether football should be banned because of head and other injuries, and the debilitating long-term effects of the game on the health of retired players. This was a cultural milestone of sorts, in that the New Yorker actually ran an article about pro football. (Other than the piece by Malcolm Gladwell about football and head injuries, from October 2009).

It seems as though the Steelers, the greatest franchise in football history, mastered a sport that is now entering a long twilight of controversy, regret and second guesses.

The forces of political correctness are about to add professional football -- at least as played by the Steelers, which is to say, with passionate intensity -- to a long list of shunned activities and products that includes smoking, pepperoni, guns, fur, meat, salt, hunting with scoped rifles and the stock market.

President Obama says he has "some love" for the Steelers. Fine. I will believe him if he gets out there and defends them. After all, Steelers fans are folks who cling to their guns and their religion -- their religion being the Steelers.

The Steelers have also won too much to be beloved. I can sympathize with this. In America, success breeds admiration -- and then jealousy and contempt. People were looking for reasons to root against the Steelers, and the Steelers and Goodell gave them some.

Finally, there is the national media. I know more about the national media than I do football. I am, not always proudly, part of it and have been for a long time. (There aren't many of us from Pittsburgh, by the way.) And I can tell that the national media is totally against the Steelers.

Why? It's fairly simple. The Lamestream Sports Media (to use Sarah Palin's term) is mostly based in the New York region. They all wanted the New York Jets in the Super Bowl, not only because it was New York, but because the team in question once starred Joe Namath and now has a head coach who is good copy, foot fetish and all.

They have been taking the Jets' humiliating loss in Pittsburgh out on the Steelers ever since Antonio Brown caught that game-sealing pass. Rex Ryan suddenly had nothing to say, but all of those Manhattan-and-Bristol-based sports writers certainly do. They are rooting for the Packers. Even if the Steelers win, the scribes and talking heads will find a way to diss the Steelers. Count on it.

It's a media conspiracy.

Hand me my Terrible Towel.

It's almost game time.

stb_steeler
02-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Same ole same ole.......all non steeler fans hate us but, they wanna be us! :tt02:

skinart82
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about the Steelers! I love them and that's all that matters!!!!!

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I could not care less if the rest of the universe sees the Steelers as the bad guys in this-- 20 years from now, nobody is going to remember that crap, only WHO WON.

I cannot wait to see Das Kommissar have to hand the Lombardi to Big Ben. I say while he is doing it, James Harrison should run at him like he is going to tackle him so we can all see the coward flinch on national TV (that is, if his noggin does not explode when he has to congratulate Big Ben and Mike Tomlin on a great season)....

4xSBChamps
02-04-2011, 08:28 PM
nMCaHxZuf94

1st&Goal
02-04-2011, 08:37 PM
:poop:

SoCalFan
02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
:poop::poop:

ETL
02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Rodgers, "who has the long, sad visage of a French count"

So true. All these "lamestream" media have the hots for this guy and can't wait to bl0w him.

tony hipchest
02-04-2011, 09:19 PM
:poop::poop::poop:

the fans who like a feel good story are insignificant to the true football heads who like real, manly football and are cheering for the steelers.

El Nino
02-04-2011, 09:26 PM
make em hate us even more! **** the haters!

GameTime55
02-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about the Steelers! I love them and that's all that matters!!!!!

THIS^

Packerstud
02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
You guys really eat this sheet up don't you. The only people who write this stuff are Pittsburgh based or bias. It's like you guys are trying to build a bad boy, "raiders" type image of yourselves. You enjoy this stuff.

Well I guess whatever gets ya through the day.

tony hipchest
02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
winning lombardi's get us through the day.

SteelersBry79
02-04-2011, 10:15 PM
You guys really eat this sheet up don't you. The only people who write this stuff are Pittsburgh based or bias. It's like you guys are trying to build a bad boy, "raiders" type image of yourselves. You enjoy this stuff.

Yes we eat this shit up because we know we're the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. I love all these writers who have no other story....correction..so called Pittsburgh natives that have nothing better to write about than to say Ben and the Steelers are the bad guys whether we win or lose.

I was born a Steelers fan. I remember having a Steelers pennant in my bedroom as a little kid, so my loyalty to my team has not changed and never will change, albeit whatever some washed up writer with a grudge has to say.

Can you show me proof that the Steelers are trying to put on a Raiders "bad boy" image? You have no right to say that about the Steelers. Back in the day, the Raiders were the bad boys, that's a common fact, and the proof is out there. Yes they went after Swann and others with intent to hurt or just to get a cheap shot in. Yes the hits that they delivered would get players suspended at best these days, but that was football, and as much as I hate the Raiders, they were a damn good team and I've seen the game films, and they gave the Steelers a fight every single time.

But as for the Steelers trying to get the "bad boy" image, that's a total lie. Thank the writers, other teams and people who just hate the fact that we have more SB rings than they do. All these people have done is take a clean, tough player like James Harrison and turn him into a bad guy for no reason except the fact that he plays football the way it's meant to be played. The same with Ward. He gets called the dirtiest player in the game, but for what? Clean blocks and hard hits? You don't see any of the Steelers going after any player with intent to hurt anyone. If the players they do hit can't take it, quit, plain and simple. Instead of doing that, they'll run to Goodell and cry like a bitch and that'll just give the Steelers more of a bad image which is wrongfully warranted.

As for Big Ben, I'm personally getting sick and tired of seeing what supposedly happened in Georgia in EVERY article written about him. Ben could save the world, but somewhere in that article you would see the Georgia incident. I think most people around here either are trying to forget about it or just don't care anymore. The only negative comments about him are the ones by the haters.

I get a huge smile on my face knowing that the haters can do nothing to the Steelers except give them more motivation to go out and win even more. Everyone else is pissed off because when it comes down to it, this is the bottom line: no matter what anyone can do to them, the Steelers will kick anyone's ass at any given time and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Like the hatchet job today in The New York Times today in which it is claimed the Packers are for player safety first and always while the Steelers are pro-concussion? Yep - that is a Pittsburgh based ragsheet

Two Teams Show Divide in Debate on Safety

Aaron Rodgers sat woozily on the Green Bay Packers’ bench after a hard hit from the Detroit Lions on Dec. 12. Midway through a ghastly loss, with the Packers’ playoff hopes in the balance, the veteran receiver Donald Driver decided that Rodgers, his star quarterback, needed some encouragement.

“I went behind him and told him that this game is just a game,” Driver recalled this week. “Your life is more important than the game.”

A professional player telling another to put his long-term health ahead of the team — a once and, to some, still-heretical idea — thrilled those who are trying to temper the sport’s win-now, regret-later ideology. Neurologists nodded. Parents cheered.

As for the rebuttal in football’s continuing debate, that was gladly delivered this week by none other than the Packers’ opponent in Sunday’s Super Bowl — the Pittsburgh Steelers, whose stars stumped as football’s defiant traditionalists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/sports/football/04rodgers.html?ref=football

Sorry for citing a publication i recognize you probably do not know exists, let alone read - my bad:chuckle:

sacredgrooves
02-04-2011, 11:24 PM
They should not even be allowed to discuss the Steelers on the limp-wristed huffpo site.

pittsurghsteelers4life
02-05-2011, 03:06 AM
I really don't understand some of the shit u R saying ...now U from pittsburgh.....who care about about what the media & other people say about our steelers ...if u R a steelers Fan you know they don't like us anyway.....that what makes us stronger.....Don't ever down grade us ever NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID ABOUT US STEELERS......I DON'T LIKE WHEN U SAY ......IF WE WIN ITZ NOT GOING TO MATTER BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE STEELERS WHO GIVES A DAMM ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.....PEOPLE HATE ME @ WK BECAUSE I'M A STEELERS FAN & I LV IN INDIANAPOLIS.....I'M THE ONLY PERSON @ WK THAT IS A STEELERS FAN U THINK I CARE. ABOUT WHAT THE HELL THEY THINK ABOUT ME & I KNOW THEY HATE ME ...THEY R HOPPING & PRAYING THAT THE STEELER LOSE....BUT U KNOW WHAT WE WILL PREVAIL & win this shit come Sunday...A LOT OF PEOPLE MIGHT HATE US BUT THERE IS MILLIONS THAT LOVE US ALSO U CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY.......SO WHAT I SAY TO U IS **** WHAT U SAY..........GO STEELERS..

Wallace108
02-05-2011, 03:28 AM
As Greg Lloyd would say ...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWTHg1gVqyabEh9yuYi2EMUoGx67qss E9DFM-G1gIDPgNfFg_F&t=1

bhoov
02-05-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm fine with everyone else hating the Steelers. It's a sign of all of the success of our team.

What ***** me off is how there is always an excuse when the Steelers always win. The media will say they played dirty or got help from the refs. Or that the other team played flat (Jets) or gave the game away with too many turn overs (Ravens). It's never that the Steelers outplayed them.

It's one thing to hate the Steelers but give credit when it's due and don't f****n sully a hard fought victory.

FanSince72
02-05-2011, 07:53 AM

This from someone who took the time to create a 3-inch by 7-inch animated banner with four different messages and a constantly changing final score and brought it over to a Steelers forum.

Whatever gets you through the day indeed.

P.S. Did it become 24-0 because you really believe that will be the score or is it because your software doesn't allow for numbers below zero?

P.P.S. And why only 24 for your guys? Surely Aaron "The-Greatest-Indoor-Passer-of-All-Time" is capable of more than just 3 TD's and a field goal, no?

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I really don't understand some of the shit u R saying ...now U from pittsburgh.....who care about about what the media & other people say about our steelers ...if u R a steelers Fan you know they don't like us anyway.....that what makes us stronger.....Don't ever down grade us ever NO MATTER WHAT IS SAID ABOUT US STEELERS......I DON'T LIKE WHEN U SAY ......IF WE WIN ITZ NOT GOING TO MATTER BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE STEELERS WHO GIVES A DAMM ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.....PEOPLE HATE ME @ WK BECAUSE I'M A STEELERS FAN & I LV IN INDIANAPOLIS.....I'M THE ONLY PERSON @ WK THAT IS A STEELERS FAN U THINK I CARE. ABOUT WHAT THE HELL THEY THINK ABOUT ME & I KNOW THEY HATE ME ...THEY R HOPPING & PRAYING THAT THE STEELER LOSE....BUT U KNOW WHAT WE WILL PREVAIL & win this shit come Sunday...A LOT OF PEOPLE MIGHT HATE US BUT THERE IS MILLIONS THAT LOVE US ALSO U CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY.......SO WHAT I SAY TO U IS **** WHAT U SAY..........GO STEELERS..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TgPctAEx4sk/TB5XM75dfiI/AAAAAAAAAFw/hByiB5rQpsQ/s320/drunkposting.gif

FanSince72
02-05-2011, 08:39 AM
ROFLMAO!

And it's not even ten o'clock yet!

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2011, 08:48 AM

ke5Mr5eCF2U

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TgPctAEx4sk/TB5XM75dfiI/AAAAAAAAAFw/hByiB5rQpsQ/s320/drunkposting.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3wuSO59OdM&feature=related

TRH
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
damn....its funny that the "bad guys" who've already lost blow the doors off the rest of the NFL teams considering merchandising sales. even comfortably outdistancing the closest competitor (dallas) by a wide margin. These sales come in from all 4 corners of the country and in-between too.
No-win situation, huh? We still have the largest fan base as well. Already lost? What?

Again....the media hates to see us winning and is rooting against us, therefore pulling stories out of their a** that we just "can't win".
This is getting quite amusing watching everyone try and knock us down a peg or two, while we clearly have the most supporters and largest fan base. Its so contradictory its not even funny.

As a matter of fact, the more the media creates this "against the Steelers" thing, the more fans i think we actually get. They're shooting themselves in the foot. Its just like the movies. Everyone likes the big bad tough guy.

Hayeksheroes
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Belichek stealing practice videos is not dirty. Please.

FanSince72
02-05-2011, 09:22 AM
WRONG!!!! The Steelers have already LOST because of who they are up against on Sunday. The F@*!ing GREEN BAY PACKERS. All this talk about Rodgers, yeah yeah he is definitely gonna do work on you guys, but I havent heard much about how Matthews is going to destroy big fat ass Ben. $10 says Raji is going to get ANOTHER interception and make you douche bags cry. YOU HAVE NO HOPE!!!!

I had no idea the bars opened this early.

4xSBChamps
02-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Belichek stealing practice videos is not dirty. Please.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/BillBelichick.jpg

"... I paid him to say that..."

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 09:24 AM
WRONG!!!! The Steelers have already LOST because of who they are up against on Sunday. The F@*!ing GREEN BAY PACKERS. All this talk about Rodgers, yeah yeah he is definitely gonna do work on you guys, but I havent heard much about how Matthews is going to destroy big fat ass Ben. $10 says Raji is going to get ANOTHER interception and make you douche bags cry. YOU HAVE NO HOPE!!!!

:yawn:

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Kind of excited your team has made the Super Bowl for the first time since you were born?

mesaSteeler
02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I had no idea the bars opened this early.

What else is the there to do in Green Bay this time of year but drink?

4xSBChamps
02-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Kind of excited your team has made the Super Bowl for the first time since you were born?

arron rogers is god

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/GreenBayPackerbaby.jpg

dcbng
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
All I saw was huffington post, and I refuse to read that trash rag. Nor do I choose to believe anything that they spew onto paper, so, after reading others responses, it makes me glad that they have chosen the packers.

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I saw Aaron Rodgers walk on water once. True story.

4xSBChamps
02-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I saw Aaron Rodgers walk on water once. True story.

... yeah... but, that was in a dome, correct?

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Take a good look ladies and gentleman. This is what you sound like when you've never witnessed your team in the Super Bowl, well, since 1996/'97 anyhow.

We act live we've been there before. I hope this newb-dweeb is a shadow of how Green Bay may feel at the moment. Good luck scumbag and don't let the THUD splatter your hopes too bad!

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
All I saw was huffington post, and I refuse to read that trash rag. Nor do I choose to believe anything that they spew onto paper, so, after reading others responses, it makes me glad that they have chosen the packers.

Ummm - Fineman's point was that he does not give a damn if the Steelers have been fitted for the black hats this week - he will always support them - nice of you to keep an open mind and criticize the content of an article without reading it:banging:

The author (he was the chief political reporter for Newsweek for years before he left that sinking ship in 2010) is a rabid Steelers fan who grew up in Squirrel Hill and over the years has expressed tremendous affection for the city in which he was raised - check out this column after the 2005 AFC championship loss to the Patriots on that point

Lessons in unity from Pittsburgh

We are all in this together. Winning is important, but not the only thing. In America, pride of place is an all-but-forgotten form of salvation. Cities matter....

No one in Pittsburgh was or is allowed to pull rank. It's a civic crime. More than that, it's impossible: If you are a Pittsburgher, well, that's what you are, whether you are a Mellon or guy who sells them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6875602/ns/politics-howard_fineman/