PDA

View Full Version : Humes potential

Big D
05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I read on this guys scouting report. In the report it didnt have to much negative things to say. I wonder why he slipped down to the 7th round. And what do you all think of the chances of him being the next bettis

Black@Gold Forever32
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
His speed is what caused him to fall. The next Bettis I highly doubt that. Jerome is a Hall of Famer. I think Humes has some potential and could have a productive NFL career though.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Humes fell right into our laps on Day 2 of the draft. He was projected as high as a 4th rounder by some boards but fortunately he fell to us. He's the sleeper of our draft this year, he could be something special..

Big D
05-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I would love another hard nose hard pounding running back. One of the reasons why i dont like willie parker is because he isnt a traditional steeler running back. Am i the only one who has a hard time watching a speed back in our backfield

RichmondVA
05-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Hokie grad... Hokie fan... He was the third best back on the team (fourth if you count Marcus Vick as one). So, easy there with any Jerome replacement hopes and dreams! I don't see lightning stricking twice - at the same position (reference - Willie was not the featured back at UNC).

Midnightwriter07
05-05-2006, 05:10 PM
You can easily look at Hume's average yard per carry and see that he is a player. Was 4.6 or something which is pretty damn good !! He was in a system where they had a QB that could run as a weapon so i think if he was on a different team, His carries owuldh ave been up and he would have had alot higher rushing stats. His coach used him in a way in which we would as well. He was on a team that had 3 decent running backs so no crazy stats, but if you watch him play, he had some very impressive runs and wasnt afraid of anyone. I think he will make the team and could easily develope into a role that we would use on short yardage and to help close out games. I think was a definate steal in 7th and Hoak will make him an even better running back.

dSharp
05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I would love another hard nose hard pounding running back. One of the reasons why i dont like willie parker is because he isnt a traditional steeler running back. Am i the only one who has a hard time watching a speed back in our backfield

Speed gives you big play ability. Willie is the kind of back who (with some seasoning) will be able to get those 3-5 yards per carry, but on any given play, he can take it to the house. It's a huge advantage to have a back like that at our disposal. A big back is what we've had for years and years, and it's done so much for us. If you look at the NFL today, though, the game is getting faster, and you need to have that big play possiblity on every down.

The whole thunder and lighting approach to the running game is so much more effective than anything we've done in the last 10 years, it should provoke the thought that Willie (a home run back) is what we've been missing. I don't know, man. To know we have a weapon like that is just so exciting.

Don't get me wrong though, tradition is tradition. The power running game is the heart and soul of our offense, and I'm sure that power back will show up this season somewhere along the line. Just try to remember that we're using a two back system now. I think our offense is so much more dangerous with Willie being a part of that system.

ps. I like Humes, too. I watched a few of his games when I was down in Uniontown and I thought he was decent. I also think he looked real good at the Senior Bowl. I think he had a touchdown and a couple nice receptions.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I read on this guys scouting report. In the report it didnt have to much negative things to say. I wonder why he slipped down to the 7th round. And what do you all think of the chances of him being the next bettis

Bettis. No. But we got him for a bag of peanuts. If his future net production matches Verron's then we're happy.

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Bettis. No. But we got him for a bag of peanuts. If his future net production matches Verron's then we're happy.bettis, r. waters, and l. johnson? were like the rushing attack of l. white and r. bush coming out of college. (not to compare any of these runners to bush) point is, humes is one of the last players taken in the draft and jerome was one of the 1st. theres a reason.

humes is probably the back who can put up numbers like jerome did 2 years ago in the opener vs. oak though. 3 td's with 1 yd rushing.
i doubt he will be wearing brian urlacher for a back pack any time soon though

Suitanim
05-05-2006, 08:11 PM
He was one of like 3 big backs available...that's why i targetted him, and, aparently the Steelers still feel the same way.

Not to toot my horn, but...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=4470&highlight=cedric+humes

Black@Gold Forever32
05-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Big D I brought this up to you in another thread. What does Willie Parker have to do for you to quit busting his balls? I guess 1200 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average isn't enough for you. Yea, Willie has his share of 1 yard carries or less. But on the very next play he can take it the distance.

Cowher never won a Super Bowl with just a power running game. He finally won it with a speed back starting. Trust me I know running the football is very important and you need to run the ball to win in the NFL. But Cowher and the Steelers finally figured out you need speed and the ability for the big play to go along with the power running game to win it all.

I love tradition and our tradition is a power running game. But in today's NFL speed kills. So Willie should be our starter. Staley hopefully can stay healthy to be the hammer. If not I hope Haynes or Humes can fit the bill.

Midnightwriter07
05-06-2006, 04:25 PM
well not really, the pats won with D and Dillon who is not really a speed back by any means. We happened to have Parker who had a great run at the right time. If you watched closely, he had a good hole to go through so i think the O line had alot to do with it as well. I love having a fast back and a power back where you cna interchange them and i think both are as equally as important. No matter how much someone loves Parker or loved Bettis... we dont win squat without both of them and the roles hey played. There are alot of very good backs and teams, past and present that had fast backs, some had power backs. the important thing with our Steelers is that we have a very dominating O Line, finally have a Q Back that compliments our running game to go along with a good receiving core and a pretty good defense. It takes all of the above normally to win a SuperBowl.. not just a speed or power back. So enjoy the fact we basically have both and at different times they both can be successful when the other isnt.

nwksteeler
05-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Humes will benefit from comimg into a no pressure situation and learning how to play Steeler ball without all the lofty expectations usually placed on rookie rbs. He has the physical attributes to become an adequate back in this league not to mention a helluva situation that he fell into. He has a chance to be good

Koopa
05-07-2006, 07:20 PM
He was one of like 3 big backs available...that's why i targetted him, and, aparently the Steelers still feel the same way.

Not to toot my horn, but...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=4470&highlight=cedric+humes

HAHAHAHAHA, not to toot your horn?? homie everytime something you say happens you post the url to the thread you said it in. face it you love to toot your own horn, no need to be saying "not to"

anyway, i like what i've read on humes too, but i hope we rarely see him this year, cause i want duce to prove all his haters wrong and stay healthy and be our main running back out there

HburgXL06
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I agree Humes is a great back but there's a part of me that also wants to see Duce come out strong again this year. Time will only tell.

BuFu

tony hipchest
05-07-2006, 07:59 PM
anyway, i like what i've read on humes too, but i hope we rarely see him this year, cause i want duce to prove all his haters wrong and stay healthy and be our main running back out there next year will be willies year to prove all his haters wrong.

willie, in his lone year of starting, pretty much topped anything duce has ever done with philly.

its simple. if you have a c. williams, w. dunn, b. westbrook type back you dont try to replace them in favor of an alstott or duckett. the steelers will not try to reinvent the wheel with staley. as good as he is, hes no jerome. no one out there is. trying to force it upon humes or staley is a bit unfair.

Koopa
05-07-2006, 11:55 PM
ok, now don't start overrating bettis now, he's a great player but anyone can be a short yardage back with a good line. bettis leadership is what is gonna be tough to replace, not his power

Haiku_Dirtt
05-07-2006, 11:55 PM
i doubt he will be wearing brian urlacher for a back pack any time soon though

That was classic.

I'm not knocking Humes. I did watch a fair amount of Va Tech football. I do think he has plenty to prove still so we paid the right price. I'm happy he'll get a chance with the Steelers - better O-line than the Hokies.

Suitanim
05-08-2006, 09:18 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, not to toot your horn?? homie everytime something you say happens you post the url to the thread you said it in. face it you love to toot your own horn, no need to be saying "not to"

anyway, i like what i've read on humes too, but i hope we rarely see him this year, cause i want duce to prove all his haters wrong and stay healthy and be our main running back out there

I'm just trying to be polite, but I don't have to be. I could say:

"See, I told you so!"

Bettis overrated? Bettis' power "easy to replace"?

No and no. He finished 5th all time in rushing yards, and he was easily the biggest RB to ever effectively play the game, so, no, his power will be almost impossible to replace, and he is not overrated.

Koopa
05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm just trying to be polite, but I don't have to be. I could say:

"See, I told you so!"

Bettis overrated? Bettis' power "easy to replace"?

No and no. He finished 5th all time in rushing yards, and he was easily the biggest RB to ever effectively play the game, so, no, his power will be almost impossible to replace, and he is not overrated.

f'k being polite lol

and see you are looking at it the wrong way with bettis. y'all are making the mistake i made when david robinson retired. i didn't give rasho or narz a chance cause they weren't david. i was baseing them off what david did over his whole career the same way y'all are doing with bettis.

don't look at bettis' career look at what he did this past season on the field. any power back can come in with this line and get those stats. the only thing they won't have is bettis' leadership, that's all. just like rasho did when he first came, he put up the same numbers david did his last year, but since i was comparing him to what david did his whole career i hate rasho, and i still hate that worthless peice of shit lol.

and that's all i want is his stats. which duce can do, veron can probably do, and in a couple of years humes can do.

Big D
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
you have a point about how cowher never won a superbowl with a power back. But he also didnt have a great qb like what he has with ben. He had bubby,neil,kordel and tommy boy

clevestinks
05-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Humes fell right into our laps on Day 2 of the draft. He was projected as high as a 4th rounder by some boards but fortunately he fell to us. He's the sleeper of our draft this year, he could be something special..
This is what I`m hoping for. I was going around some message boards to read up on him before I responded. He has alot of upside, and we need a back for that last roster spot anyway. its just to bad that Bettis aint around to bring him along!

Hypnotic
05-12-2006, 09:11 AM
It sent chills down my spine that we drafted a Hokie player considering I'm a WVU fan but I like this kid alot. I hope he makes the team and is not demoted to the practice squad. Good up the middle runner that will be our biggest back but has decent speed to make runs of 30-40 yds.

SteelCityPride
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I think we are going to see a slightly different Steeler team this year. The Steelers are building themselves up with a 1st round draft pick at WR along with speedy cedric wilson and durable Hines Ward. They have a TE who can stretch the field and arguably one of the best QB's in the league right now. When a team has to start respecting the pass the way they will this year you will start to see the linebackers inching back at 4-5 yds instead of 3-4 yds off the ball and you will occassionally get 7 guys in the box, this is when Willie is going to be dangerous. He isn't going to break a ton of tackles between the tackles, but when these teams start to respect our passing game, like we are going to force them to do this year, Willie is going to have the opportunity to make big gains. I think if they use a big back at this point they are wasting chances to go for this big one. I am not yet drinking the Willie Kool-Aid, I am not a huge fan of his yet, but he has potential and if we get this type of play out of opposing defenses, he could prove to be a great player. However, if you see the same steeelrs team, he is not my number 1 running back and a guy like Humes could have the potential to be grromed into our main back with willie as a third down type of player.

Big D
05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
i guess i'll jump on the willie bandwagon when he shows consistancy. Yes this will be a different team then what we are used to seeing. I want to see the traditional steeler run first model. And that hard nosed defense we have seen for nearly 40 years. You throw to score you run to win