PDA

View Full Version : kentucky derby: who to watch/ who will win

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 03:33 PM
20 horses in the field pick 5. i always play horse #4 (sinister minister) no matter who it is cause its my lucky number, got the best angle going into the 1st turn, and most importantly, the #4 cloth they wear is always yellow with a black 4. i got a few bucks on him to win, place, and show.

i dont follow horseracing but its fun to watch and bet on and actually pretty easy if you do a 10 minute read on the horses and play the longshots vs. favorites.

im going with #s 7, 17, 8, 4, 2 in that order (none of which got greater than 12:1 odds)

last year the long shot won (giacamo i think). this year theres about 4-5 horses at 50-1.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
and it's, can't stop by a nose....

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.kentuckyderby.info/kentuckyderby-odds.php

Brother Derek 4-1
Lawyer Ron 9-2
Barbaro 6-1
Sweetnorthernsaint 6-1
Sinister Minister 8-1
Point Determined 10-1
Bob and John 10-1
Jazil 10-1
AP Warrior 15-1
Steppenwolfer 15-1
Sharp Humor 18-1
Showing Up 25-1
Private Vow 30-1
Keyed Entry 30-1
Cause to Believe 35-1
Bluegrass Cat 40-1
Deputy Glitters 50-1
Flashy Bull 60-1
Storm Treasure 75-1
Seaside Retreat 100-1

if you put $2 on each the bottom 10 you have a 1 out of 2 shot of doubling your money atleast. safe bet, fun. and you got half the field.

shimmysteelerfan
05-05-2006, 03:50 PM
i pick cause to believe, sounds like a kick ass name. next would be seaside retreat, cause if the ****er wins by god i would quit my job!!!!!

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 03:54 PM
if im going for the trifecta i usually pick the horse with the coolest name, a favorite, and a semi-longshot. in this case i like "sharp humor" watch for him.

SteelerzGirl
05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
I like to watch all the pre-Kentucky Derby stuff because I like to see what kind of funky hats all the women are wearing. I heard on The Today Show this morning that they're going to have a special Mint Julep drink which will cost $1,000/drink. Only 50 of these drinks will be sold. Proceeds to go to a charity for horses to die w/dignity. So get out your credit cards, fellas... I want one of these drinks...(lol). :smile:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=bizarre&id=4088470

I'm taking Steppenwolfer in the Derby just because I think it's a cool name.

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I like to watch all the pre-Kentucky Derby stuff because I like to see what kind of funky hats all the women are wearing. I heard on The Today Show this morning that they're going to have a special Mint Julep drink which will cost $1,000/drink. Only 50 of these drinks will be sold. Proceeds to go to a charity for horses to die w/dignity. So get out your credit cards, fellas... I want one of these drinks...(lol). :smile:

thats what i though too. i think hes horse #2. go rusty.

i'll buy you a lime green kool-aid if he wins :cool:

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2006, 05:04 PM

:drinkup:

Suitanim
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd like to go for the party, but I don't really gamble, and could care less about horse racing.

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM
i shouldve called this thread "pick a number between 1 and 20"

i think im out 6 bucks tomorrow with horse4 but i have several trifectas that could bring a cheap and decent return.

j-dawg
05-05-2006, 08:15 PM
thought this was a bit funny....

Time to take another peek [Lifestyle Theme] into "The Lifestyles of the Rich... and Cranky."

People think it's easy being rich, but these peasants know nothing about the crushing pressure of always having to stand out in the crowd, if only for appearance's sake. Take the Kentucky Derby. This annual run for the roses is the preeminent social event for the horsey set. It's a grand setting, a place to see and be seen, an occasion to wear your Versace white suit and your $1,000 handmade Panama hat, and, of course, a place for sipping the royalty of Southern drinks: mint juleps.

But there's the rub, you see. These days, mint juleps have become so commonplace at the Derby that they're serving them in plastic cups! How can one stand out if even the hoi polloi are sloshing down juleps like they were Slurpees?

Well, thank goodness for Woodford Reserve. For this year's Derby, this distillery has rescued your truly-rich by offering a drink worthy of them. Called "The Ultimate Mint Julep," it's made with only the finest Kentucky bourbon, mint imported from Morocco, sugar from the South Pacific, and ancient ice brought in from the Arctic Circle. Equally important, the UMJ is served in a gold-plated cup and sipped through a silver straw. Now that's class!

The beautiful part is that this libation comes with a price tag of $1,000. Per drink. Not including tip. The price is beautiful, because it will separate the true hoity toities from the riff-raff, and the world will be in proper balance once again.

This is Jim Hightower saying... Not only does the Ultimate Mint Julep let the rich rise above the rest of us, but it also lets them show their philanthropic side, for the distiller will donate the drink's profits to a charity for retired race horses. What do you bet that the rich get a bar receipt for each of their $1,000 juleps, so they can deduct the cost from their income taxes as a charitable contribution?

Sources:
"An expensive thirst-quencher (tip not included)," Austin American-Statesman, April 12, 2006.

tony hipchest
05-05-2006, 08:24 PM
, and ancient ice brought in from the Arctic Circle. included),"

who the hell wants to drink frozen wooly mammoth piss?

MattsMe
05-06-2006, 12:06 AM
who the hell wants to drink frozen wooly mammoth piss?

Tom Cruise???

tony hipchest
05-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Tom Cruise??? i thought there was no answer to that question. i stand corrected.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Tom Cruise???
:rofl: sweet!!!!!!!

SteelerzGirl
05-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Wow, Jewel hangs out at NASCAR races and the Kentucky Derby! I love it! :smile: Tom Brady is at the Derby, too. He looks like such a dork. Blech. LOL

83-Steelers-43
05-06-2006, 05:16 PM
The proceeds from the mint juleps go to retired horses. Yeah, screw those Katrina victims......lol. At least we have our priorities straight.

Congrats to Barbaro.

SteelerzGirl
05-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Congrats to Barbaro.

Yea, it wasn't even close! My Steppenwolfer came in 3rd. I'm happy w/that.

3 to be 4
05-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Barry Bonds has enough Steroids in him to win the Kentucky Derby.

tony hipchest
05-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Barry Bonds has enough Steroids in him to win the Kentucky Derby.

on another board we had a great run of corey dillon big nose jokes.
he won the derby "by a nose".
belichick was gonna try him out at "nose" tackle.
he was jamal lewis's best friend and customer, etc.