PDA

View Full Version : Lil Wayne Calls 'Green And Yellow' 'Perfect' Comeback Remix

SacknificentStew56
02-05-2011, 03:45 AM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1657329/lil-wayne-green-and-yellow.jhtml

Lil Wayne Calls 'Green And Yellow' 'Perfect' Comeback Remix
New Orleans MC also maintains he's always been pro-Packers since his father brought home swag from the 1997 Super Bowl.
By Mawuse Ziegbe (@mawuseziegbe)

When the Green Bay Packers go up against the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Super Bowl on Sunday, the Wisconsin heavyweights will have the support of Lil Wayne, who recently dropped the Packers-pride anthem "Green and Yellow." Weezy's revamp of Wiz Khalifa's Steelers-pumping hit, "Black and Yellow," surfaced online Thursday, and on Friday morning (February 4), the MC opened up about the whirlwind creation of the track.

Sporting a dark-green Packers shirt and spectacles with his long dreads in thick braids, Wayne explained his reasons for crafting "Green and Yellow" on ESPN's "First Take."

"What happened was I was watching some of those Steelers on media day, and one of them said, after they was finished doing their interview, 'Black and yellow, black and yellow.' I was like, 'You know what? I'm such a Cheesehead, such a Packer fan, I might as well go in there and make 'Green and Yellow,' " he said. Then the process from an idea in Weezy's head to a full-fledged remix moved swiftly, with Wayne releasing the track just a day after catching the Steelers on Tuesday. "I made it last night. I made it the night before last. I made it, and we just went viral with it."

While Wayne maintained the track is "not a dis song at all. It's a fight song," he admitted he's been getting some flak for the record. However, most of the negative feedback hasn't been from riled-up Steelers supporters, but rather New Orleans Saints fans who think Wayne should be showing more hometown love.

"I talked to [Packers player] Ryan Grant, and he was very thankful, like, 'We needed that.' I talked to [Steelers player] Ike Taylor, and he was kinda upset, 'cause, you know, he's from New Orleans. We went to the same high school together. A lot of people in New Orleans was upset because they expected me to be a big Saints fan, but I never was," Wayne admitted.

For fans confused by the "6 Foot 7 Foot" MC's allegiance to Green Bay, Wayne explained that rooting for the Packers is a family tradition.

"I've been a Packers fan. My father, my great, late father, he went to his first Super Bowl in 1997 when the Packers was in the Super Bowl in the Superdome. When he came home that night, he just came home with a bunch of Packers everything. Packers towels, Packers cups, so, you know, and I'm from the 'hood, and so we used those cups as dishes. We used those cups. So I remember drinking out of Packers cups for years, so I've been a Packers fan for years. I would get the 'John Madden' game, and Brett Favre was on the front of the cover, and I've been a Packers fan," Wayne recalled. "I don't want to be one of those Saints fans that became a Saints fan when they went to the Super Bowl. Everybody know the Saints been terrible for a long time, so I've been a Packers fan."

The remix marks the first time Weezy has reworked someone else's track since he was released from prison in November. The MC said he rode back into the remix game on Wiz's track because of its connection to the sports world.

"I actually thought it was coincidentally perfect, because the song ended up being a quote-unquote 'fight song' for the Steelers. I just thought I'd remix it," he explained. "I haven't done the remix to nobody's song, and I'm kinda popular for that. I'm popular for doing a remix to everybody's song, and since I came home from my vacation, I haven't done a remix to anybody's song, so I was like, 'This is the perfect first song to do it to.' "

Even though he jumped on Wiz's record, Wayne seemed to be down with challenging the Pittsburgh MC and fellow Steelers fan Snoop Dogg who appeared on the "Black and Yellow" G-Mix to a bet on Sunday's match. But instead of forking over cash, Weezy proposed that the lyricists part with a signature part of their image.

"If they wanna make a wager I would say ... we all got long hair ... so whoever loses should cut their hair," Wayne said coolly.

What do you think of Wayne's "Green and Yellow" track? Let us know in the comments!

45 3 0 More | Comment On This Article ..

FanSince72
02-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I've given this a lot of thought and here's what I think of Lil' Wayne:

:tt02:

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Honestly? I think their BOTH retarded! We'll be settling our rap-sheet on the field this Sunday. Nerves are setting in, it's almost go-time. Lil Wayne or whatever his name is can suck on his own sausage for all I care! Dumb Rat-birds fan.

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I actually think Green and Yellow is better because the words are football related and make more sense.

1. I know Khalif didn't make the song for the Steelers specifically
2. I don't know why Khalif's label let Lil Wayne use the music and style of the song. They must have gotten permission. It might even be the same label...wouldn't surprise me...more pub is more pub...just like when MTV was battling VH1 and you find out they are both owned by Viacom...lol

TRH
02-05-2011, 09:05 AM
weak. You can't even think up your OWN city/sports anthem? You have to borrow (copy) from Khalifa??? Good grief.....

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 09:13 AM
weak. You can't even think up your OWN city/sports anthem? You have to borrow (copy) from Khalifa??? Good grief.....

Not gonna lie. The words are cooler because they are football related. I don't know WTF Khalifa is talking about.

ETA: Oh...I just heard the GMix of Black and yellow and I like it a lot. The original was boring. Now i like it.

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I actually think Green and Yellow is better because the words are football related and make more sense.

1. I know Khalif didn't make the song for the Steelers specifically
2. I don't know why Khalif's label let Lil Wayne use the music and style of the song. They must have gotten permission. It might even be the same label...wouldn't surprise me...more pub is more pub...just like when MTV was battling VH1 and you find out they are both owned by Viacom...lol

The ones some underground rappers made for the Jets and Ravens were football related too...what sets those apart from Green and Yellow? They don't suck as bad as Lil' Wayne. Yeah, I know he's famous (for whatever reason), but dude sounds like he's rapping through a busted up nose. His voice annoys the shit out of me, therefore I haven't been able to get through more than thirty seconds of the song lol.

1. Correct, Khalifa's version wasn't about the Steelers specifically. Just repping himself and the city.

2. You don't need permission to do a parody, which is technically what Wayne did. Example...Weird Al never needed permission to do any of his parody songs. It's even more legal when you're only doing it for youtube.

As far as labels go...Lil' Wayne is under Cash Money and Young Money (both owned by Universal Motown Records). Wiz is under Atlantic Records (subsidiary of Warner Music Group).

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Agreed. And not to mention the fact that it's not even original to copy Black and Yellow anymore.

Pretty sad and pathetic IMO, more so when someone famous does it. Just shows lack of talent in my eyes.

steelers33
02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Yah livin in Wisconsin this is all I have been hearing for the past few days.

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
2. You don't need permission to do a parody, which is technically what Wayne did. Example...Weird Al never needed permission to do any of his parody songs. It's even more legal when you're only doing it for youtube.

Hmmm...I didn't think of it as a parody. I always thought weird all got permission but I figured they gave it to him because it only boosts the popularity of their original song and they were obvious "spoofs". This song I don't really see as a spoof but then again...

I need to look of parody rules...what defines it.

I didn't realize there were Jets and Raven versions. I'd like to listen. Do you know the names?

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Hmmm...I didn't think of it as a parody. I always thought weird all got permission but I figured they gave it to him because it only boosts the popularity of their original song and they were obvious "spoofs". This song I don't really see as a spoof but then again...

I need to look of parody rules...what defines it.

I didn't realize there were Jets and Raven versions. I'd like to listen. Do you know the names?

I don't remember the exact names. They're easy enough to find though. Just search Green and White and Black and Purple in youtube.

My fiance does/did a lot with copyright law with the bands he's been in/is in. He explained it to me (it's long and confusing) when I asked about the Green and White covers.

Here's a decent explanation of it though. Apparently Weird Al almost always asked permission (more of a respect thing) and won't make a parody if the artist doesn't agree to it though.

Here's what the law specifically states though.

Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, 510 U.S. 569 (1994)[1] was a United States Supreme Court copyright law case that established that a commercial parody can qualify as fair use. That money is made does not make it impossible for a use to be fair; it is merely one of the components of a fair use analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music,_Inc.
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-c.html#5

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Dear lord...there's even a "Blue and Red" (Giants) and "Purple and Yellow" (Lakers) remix. :doh:

SacknificentStew56
02-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Be on the lookout for my new single called, Super 7!! It's gonna be hotter than Wiz Khalifa's fingertips right after smokin' that chronic!!

casteeler
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Every remake of Black and Yellow are garbage! This song is about Whizs' love for the city of Pittsburgh, the Steelers and it turns out he is a Pens fan. Get your own song Lil Wayne

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't remember the exact names. They're easy enough to find though. Just search Green and White and Black and Purple in youtube.

My fiance does/did a lot with copyright law with the bands he's been in/is in. He explained it to me (it's long and confusing) when I asked about the Green and White covers.

Here's a decent explanation of it though. Apparently Weird Al almost always asked permission (more of a respect thing) and won't make a parody if the artist doesn't agree to it though.

Here's what the law specifically states though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music,_Inc.
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-c.html#5

Cool thanks.

I still don't understand what defines a parody vs copy since these songs are not humorous spoofs.

I just listened to green and white. The words are boring. All this stuff increases the popularity of black and yellow...so maybe that's why they don't have a problem with it. Even companies realize now that youtube is free advertising and makes things more popular. I remember when it first came out and companies were shutting everything down. Now almost any video passes and non BMG songs pass. It doesn't hurt anyone. BMG needs to chill.

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Here's a Steelers remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnh8kcMjROI

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Cool thanks.

I still don't understand what defines a parody vs copy since these songs are not humorous spoofs.

A copy (or cover) would be using the same lyrics. You do need permission for that. Now, that doesn't apply to some kid making a youtube video of himself/herself singing the lyrics to the beat of the song or some garage band messing around with doing a cover of a song...but they cannot release a cover at a live venue (unless they aren't getting paid and there is no cover charge) or on a CD/tape that is up for sale.

El Nino
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
lil wayne sucks

SteelKnight
02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
A copy (or cover) would be using the same lyrics. You do need permission for that. Now, that doesn't apply to some kid making a youtube video of himself/herself singing the lyrics to the beat of the song or some garage band messing around with doing a cover of a song...but they cannot release a cover at a live venue (unless they aren't getting paid and there is no cover charge) or on a CD/tape that is up for sale.

Oh...I see...so all you have to do is change the lyrics, and the music is yours? Wow. I remember in the old days artists used to sample music and I thought there was a rule about how long a sample could be before permission was needed ...but then again that would be the actual recording.

So what you are telling me is music is not protected at all by the music industry? The only thing the industry protects is lyrics? So a musician that creates a piece without words but an original sound is not protected at all? I had no idea. I thought the music and the word were protected.

Hey...i just thought of something. Remember back in the day the Blues brothers stopped Dole from using "Soul man". He had made it into "Dole man" with the same sound but just different words. They were liberals and didn't want their song used to support a Republican. They were able to stop him. Confusing. Who knows? maybe he only changed the refrain.

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Oh...I see...so all you have to do is change the lyrics, and the music is yours? Wow. I remember in the old days artists used to sample music and I thought there was a rule about how long a sample could be before permission was needed ...but then again that would be the actual recording.

So what you are telling me is music is not protected at all by the music industry? The only thing the industry protects is lyrics? So a musician that creates a piece without words but an original sound is not protected at all? I had no idea. I thought the music and the word were protected.

Hey...i just thought of something. Remember back in the day the Blues brothers stopped Dole from using "Soul man". He had made it into "Dole man" with the same sound but just different words. They were liberals and didn't want their song used to support a Republican. They were able to stop him. Confusing. Who knows? maybe he only changed the refrain.

You'd have to read and review the entire law made. There are provisions for parodies, and yes...one of them is that using the music is fine, but not the actual lyrics. I've never read the entire thing, because I don't do anything in the realm of Copyright Law and never had a vested interest in it. I'm just going by what I've read and from what my fiance has told me (who does have a long history with DCMA and copyright law). He explained it better, but it's long and confusing (as most copyright laws are, for a reason).

Need4Sweed
02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I live here in Maryland and as a Steelers fan, i hate the parody Black n Purple (Ratbirds), can't stand it. Soooo unoriginal, get your own. Black n Yellow has become a Steelers rally call in the "hood". I can tell you that most of us Maryland born Steelers fans ( there are a lot of us ) take pride in the song and hate when it's duplicated and imitated. Especially by the Ratbirds.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-05-2011, 04:10 PM
WHO CARES WHAT LIL WAYNE says? What do gangster rappers know anyhow?

tony hipchest
02-05-2011, 04:27 PM
theres a phrase for bitch asses cribbin other peoples shit in the rap game.

lil wayne = shark biter

btaylor179
02-05-2011, 05:10 PM
i always thought it was black n gold anyway!!!!!!

El Nino
02-05-2011, 05:27 PM
WHO CARES WHAT LIL WAYNE says? What do gangster rappers know anyhow?

lol wayne aint no gangster. probably has a privileged background, he couldnt punch his way out of a paper bag

yep i was right. honor student growing up. the most gangster thing he's ever done was play with a gun and shoot himself lol

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs067.snc6/167748_191791830838749_132914193393180_641453_6947 121_n.jpg

BengalDestroyer
02-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Are teams ever going to have any originality or are they always going to copy Pittsburgh? Green and Yellow? Title Towels? Give me a break, this only makes you look like followers Packers fans....Steelers Nation did it first!!!

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 09:29 AM
UazJ0d-KmJU

all-others pale

Kanata-Steeler
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
UazJ0d-KmJU

all-others pale

"....keep that Steelers machinery hummin'..."

that is just so perfect. yep, everything else really does pale to an original.
:tt04: