PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet Sunday for me

HAWK
02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Obviously tomorrow is what we've all been looking forward to since the last SB we won. However, tomorrow at 1pm my son is leaving for the Marines. So while my wife and I are looking forward to the game, our hearts out heavy at the same time. I'm proud of him...but you still hate to see them go.

And to top it off, my younger son somehow turned out to be a Packers fan. He has been since he was prob 10.

GO STEELERS!! :tt02:

4xSBChamps
02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
best wishes for your son

:helmet:

SouthTexasSteel
02-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Hawk.. May God bless your son and his decision to be part of a team that provides a blanket of freedom that the rest of us live under!!! As far as the younger son goes, the Packers brilliant marketing strategy of having their team wearing uni's that look like PJ's for a 6 year old has played out well. Some folks just get in a comfort zone of rooting for a team that is sooooo cool they wear PJ's.. Thank God they don't wear Barney Purple... some things you just can't recover from... just sayin' :wink02:

SteelCityMom
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Best wishes to you, your son and your family Hawk! :drink:

HAWK
02-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Hawk.. May God bless your son and his decision to be part of a team that provides a blanket of freedom that the rest of us live under!!! As far as the younger son goes, the Packers brilliant marketing strategy of having their team wearing uni's that look like PJ's for a 6 year old has played out well. Some folks just get in a comfort zone of rooting for a team that is sooooo cool they wear PJ's.. Thank God they don't wear Barney Purple... some things you just can't recover from... just sayin' :wink02:

You're probably right! I've already told him that if Pitt loses he'll be living with the grandparents. :flap:

grward
02-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Tell your son, on behalf of Steelers Nation, that we are ALL grateful for his Immaculate protection that he will be providing all of us! THANK YOU! Our hearts go out to you and your wife.

SH-Rock
02-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I would be doing the following dance in front of your son after the Steelers win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eZu9-XHoA

stlrtruck
02-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I salute your son for making the sacrifice of his own life to join the military. Tomorrow is just a game and the battles that go on between the lines is nothing compared to the battles that your son has promised and dedicated his next years to have for our freedom to enjoy the game.

I pray God's blessing over him.

BlastFurnace
02-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Obviously tomorrow is what we've all been looking forward to since the last SB we won. However, tomorrow at 1pm my son is leaving for the Marines. So while my wife and I are looking forward to the game, our hearts out heavy at the same time. I'm proud of him...but you still hate to see them go.

And to top it off, my younger son somehow turned out to be a Packers fan. He has been since he was prob 10.

Hawk...your family will be in my prayers....and I mean that. I still remember leaving for Basic Training in 1985...and saying goodbye to my parents was the toughest thing I have ever done. It's 25 years later, and I still remember that moment vividly. But...being in the military changed my life for the better. He will be in good hands.

stb_steeler
02-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Tell your son we are thankfull for his service.....Tell him to keep his head up high and you keep up the Steeler spirit.....:tt05:

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Best wishes to you, HAWK. Is this your son's first deployment? I can remember going off on my first deployment back in 2000 like it was yesterday.... You should be very proud of him.

I see time serving in the military kind of like a good workout-- it SUCKS while you are doing it sometimes, but afterwards, you look back on it and realize, those were some good times. As hard as it was, you meet some good friends and get to see/do some crazy things that people who have never served wouldn't believe.

Tell him to be safe, but if he gets the chance, to kill a couple of Taliban bastids for me. I am glad to be out now, but sometimes I feel that burning feeling inside, like hating to be sitting on the sidelines only watching with everything that is going on over there. Sometimes, I wish I was with the troops and out there making a difference still/again.

El Nino
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM

be proud of him. as a former soldier, i salute his service.

StainlessStill
02-05-2011, 05:51 PM

That's incredible. I thank your son for the sacrifice he has made for such a young life and thank you for being a proud dad! Here's to your son coming home safely and coming home a much more Patriotic man! And, of coarse, I hope you stuff if in your youngest's face when we win our 7th title, haha!

Good luck to your son as well as your family!

SoCalFan
02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Man,what a day for you and your family!THANK YOU....Is your son thats leaving a Steeler fan,if so,WHY would he not be able to stay for the game?Re schedule his flight,postpone his pick up,do what ever it takes!:applaudit:He is devoting several years of his life to the military,the least they could do for him is let him watch a Steelers Super Bowl!:tt03:

HAWK
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks to all for the ind words. It is his first go around and I think he's nervous. I let him read this thread and he was very grateful for the kind words.

Thanks again.

chacha
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM
All the best to you and your son!

BigRick
02-05-2011, 11:49 PM
All the best to your son and the rest of your family. May God watch over him. Oh, and GO STEELERS !!:helmet: