PDA

View Full Version : Packers WR route running

Steelboy84
02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
These WRs run some pretty sharp routes. NFL N playbook is showing all the zigs and zags, the outs, the slants, and how they create "voids" in a secondary. I'm not sure if you run man to man, zone, a combo, or what. They don't drop many passes either.

They run this play with 3-4 wide outs where they have two slants on one side, one slant on the other with the slot receiver/TE running and out. The receiver on that side seems to be open all the time, even with a CB right in his face. And it's a quick pass pattern.

And with what seems as a below average ability to stop 3rd and 10 or longer in different cases, this might prove to be a problem for Pittsburgh.

They're the best slant team in football, and if they catch our secondary playing up, they just might go double move a few times. I don't think you blitz Troy in this game. I don't think you can afford to. He's our best cover man.

I hope this game is a low scoring one. I don't like the idea of a shootout.

lexingtonsteelersfan
02-05-2011, 06:58 PM
There are tough but we have had two weeks to study film and try to stop them. They have also had two weeks off and maybe just maybe the timing is off even just a little. We can also affect Rodgers by hitting him a few times early. I predict a pick 6 that we jump the route on and take it all the way back.

The bottom line is i think we have enough motivation to win because it's the Super Bowl. But Tomlin gets no votes for coach of the year, we are underdogs, Kurt Warner disrespects Big Ben, we are without Pouncey which surely gets the guys attention that everyone has to be better for us to win, we have experience at the SB and more people are picking Green Bay to win. I just have a feeling that we have a ton of motivation to go out and win this game andi trust in Tomlin and Lebeau to get a game plan that takes away some of Rodgers strengths.

What are we going to do just let him kill us passing all day? or are we going to plan and blitz and create formations to confuse?

Farrior_roirraW
02-05-2011, 08:41 PM
They don't drop many passes either.

Haha, what?

I've watched quite a few Packers games this year and have seen James Jones do nothing but drop passes.

No doubt their WRs are solid, but yeah, I don't know about that.

Steelboy84
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Haha, what?

I've watched quite a few Packers games this year and have seen James Jones do nothing but drop passes.

No doubt their WRs are solid, but yeah, I don't know about that.

They've been pretty solid as of late, especially Jennings.

Packerstud
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Looks like you've been doing some studying Steelboy84. A lot of teams have tried to stop the quick outs by blitzing, thats when Aaron act likes Ben and runs for yards,

The problem for the Steelers D will be when we line up with 5 wide outs. No team has had an answer for that all year.

Pressure on Rodgers should be your key here. I've seen all of Rodgers games multiple times. He plays his worst when heavily pressured, hit a lot and behind on the scoreboard.

James Jones has had problems making catches this year. In our last three games he has corrected the problem and has no drops.

Farrior_roirraW
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
James Jones has had problems making catches this year. In our last three games he has corrected the problem and has no drops.

Better hope that holds true for tomorrow :chuckle:

Steelboy84: And, yeah, obviously Jennings is great. No doubt.

tanda10506
02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Makes me a little nervous because the way they spread the field and run routes they remind me of New England. Rodgers is totally over hyped right now for some reason, but he can still burn is. I have a feeling that GB will try to run there offense the way the Patriots ran there's against us earlier this year. Hope we are ready for it.

LVSteelersfan
02-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I hope they put five wideouts out there. That is less people to block Harrison and Woodley. They both win one on one blocking EVERY TIME. And Harrison will fake a blitz and drop in coverage while Timmons loops around and knocks the crap out of the QB. You can bet Timmons and Woodley are the key factors in this game. Woodley is a beast and Timmons is deceptively fast for a man his size. I hope Rodgers throws a quick pass to Jones and it pops up in the air because he has the jitters and can't catch. Troy will be there to pick it off.

MasterOfPuppets
02-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Looks like you've been doing some studying Steelboy84. A lot of teams have tried to stop the quick outs by blitzing, thats when Aaron act likes Ben and runs for yards,

The problem for the Steelers D will be when we line up with 5 wide outs. No team has had an answer for that all year.

Pressure on Rodgers should be your key here. I've seen all of Rodgers games multiple times. He plays his worst when heavily pressured, hit a lot and behind on the scoreboard.

:rolleyes: apparently some have or they would be 18 - 0 right now. you keep trying to convince us of how invincible the packers passing attack is, but yet it was ben who hung the 500 yds on your D last year.
the steelers rb's and TE caught 16 passes for 216 yds.

Steelboy84
02-05-2011, 11:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81e252c4/Playbook-Handling-the-Steelers-blitz

:sweating:

mcg24
02-06-2011, 02:50 PM

It didn't kill the Lions when they beat you. You are such a moron. The sad part is that when the Steelers win, you will run and hide and never be seen again on these boards.

Farrior_roirraW
02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah... glad to see the Packers never drop a pass. lmfao, Unfortunately, it didn't matter. :(

casteeler
02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
A great recieving core vs C minus pass defense. Gay should not keep his job