PDA

View Full Version : NO HOF for Bettis or Dawson

Rick5895
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
The votes are in and no Dawson or bettis. Voting in that mumbly mouth piece of crap Sharpe and Ed Sabol and no Dawson is pathetic.

Hopefully our boys will take this slight out on the Green bay Packers on Sunday.

Steelboy84
02-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Shannon Sharpe is more than deserving. Should have gotten in on the first ballot. We wouldn't see football the same way without Sabol. Both Dawson and Bettis will get in.

Meadkins40
02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Curtis Martin should have gotten in before Marshall Faulk.

NYC_Steeler
02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
I didn't think they were getting in this time - maybe next year. You can't argue with Faulk, Sharpe, Sanders, or Sabol.

NCBlackWolf
02-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Loved Dawson but not sure about him in the HOF;
Bettis though should have been a first ballot. 5th leading rusher of all time, right? What the hell? And a class act.

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2011, 08:00 PM
The votes are in and no Dawson or bettis. Voting in that mumbly mouth piece of crap Sharpe and Ed Sabol and no Dawson is pathetic.

Hopefully our boys will take this slight out on the Green bay Packers on Sunday.

Ed Sabol is a significant factor as to why the NFL is as popular as it is today - during the 60s and 70s when pro football passed baseball as the national pastime, NFL Films rolled out weekly 30 minute shows on the game of the week that were run on local stations around the country, filmed the footage for Cosell to narrate highlights on Monday Night Football halftime (a huge deal then since there was no ESPN until 1979) and put together the films narrated by Facenda that mythologized the teams and players - but I guess you had to be watching at the time to appreciate it

In terms of contributions to the game Sabol earned his place in Canton as much as many of the owners who have gone in

Did not expect Bettis to get it in his first year (good career stats but few breakout seasons) and am afraid it is getting tough for Dawson as the years pass

One piece of good news is it looks less likely than ever Paul Tagliabue will ever get in

Steelboy84
02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Curtis Martin should have gotten in before Marshall Faulk.

I don't think so.

Marshall was one of the most dangerous backs of all time. Most of your game plan was for Marshall Faulk.

wootawnee
02-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Ask any linebacker who they would rather face Jerome or DumFaulk.... and you know they dont want any piece of the Bus.........

http://apudgeisasandwich.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/972005jerome_bettis_steelers-sm.jpg

NCBlackWolf
02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Ask any linebacker who they would rather face Jerome or DumFaulk.... and you know they dont want any piece of the Bus.........

http://apudgeisasandwich.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/972005jerome_bettis_steelers-sm.jpg

I know Brian Urlacher knows what it feels like to be hit by The Bus...

As I am typing this Sterling Sharpe is calling in the the NFL Network and making his lil' bro cry. Shannon is a horsefaced stud ( and apparently, a cry baby.:flap:) but is deserving of the HOF. He also broke the Steelers back a few times back in the Bubby days.

JackHammer
02-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Bettis though should have been a first ballot. 5th leading rusher of all time, right? What the hell? And a class act.

Not sure about Dawson in the H.O.F.????? WOW! He's basically Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson combined. He's absolutely a Hall of Famer and that much is recognized by most writers and so called experts. That being said, I wasn't banking on him or Bettis getting in this time. It's about priority with the H.O.F. Players like Dirt Dawson have to be patient and wait for a year where there aren't a bunch of high profile names. Namesake will probably get Bettis in before Dirt too.

LukesDad88
02-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Dawson should be more of a shoe in than Bettis. Bettis was one of the best backs during his era, and arguably the best. Dawson was unquestionably THE BEST at his position during his era, and is in the conversation amongst the best five centers of all time.

Eztarget
02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Both should be in period. If you finish in the top 10 rushers of all time you should be in over Deion Sanders.

NCBlackWolf
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Both should be in period. If you finish in the top 10 rushers of all time you should be in over Deion Sanders.

That idiot Theisman just said Deion was the greatest football player in the NFL. Ever.

Deion was great but the greatest?

ucsteve667
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
That idiot Theisman just said Deion was the greatest football player in the NFL. Ever.

Deion was great but the greatest?

great unless he had to tackle someone...
lame
and f*ck that horsehead too

mesaSteeler
02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Dawson snubbed again!
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/27366-dawson-snubbed-again

Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:30 PM
Written by Bob Smizik

The bypassing once again of the great Dermontti Dawson by the selectors of the Pro Football Hall of Fame remains unexplainable.

In voting that took place yesterday, Dawson, who played for the Steelers from 1988-2000, was a finalist but not one of seven chosen for enshrinement.

The seven were: Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent, Richard Dent, Ed Sabol, Les Richter and Chris Hanburger.

Hard to quibble with Faulk and Sanders but Sharpe and Dent do not belong in the Hall of Fame before Dawson.

According to profootballrefence.com, Dawson was first team All-Pro center six times. Dent, a defensive end, was All-Pro once. And there are two defensive ends selected every year and only one center.

Sharpe was first team All-Pro four times.

Steeler bias often is given as a reason for exclusion, but Dawson was not part of the large contingent of Steelers who made it from the 1970s. That excuse might work for L. C. Greenwood, but Dawson’s prime was in the 1990s.

I hope Dawson’s low-key personality isn’t a factor here. It makes you wonder, though, that two well-known and flamboyant broadcasters, Sanders and Sharpe, got in before Dawson, who was a quiet, humble gentleman. Dawson's quiet, thoughtful approach made him an outstanding interview, but his style would never work on a TV set.

But he sure could play football.

One of these years the Pro Football Hall of Fame will recognize that.

wyn50
02-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Linemen get little respect in the hall. Hopefully he will get in sooner or later.....more like later.

steelers33
02-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Can't argue with that logic there 6>4>1. Hopefully him and the Bus make it in next year.

ZoneBlitzer
02-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Here's how it works. If your a staff member of the NFL Network, you're guaranteed a seat upon nomination. How else can you explain Deion getting in? The HOF should be about class as a player. Deion demonstrated none of that. He just hyped it up and played for half a dozen teams in 14 years. That should show his class as a pro as he moved from team to team always seeking the biggest paycheck and never forming a camaraderie between his fellow players and the organizations he played for.

wyn50
02-06-2011, 04:29 AM
You have a point. There seems to e a trend about working for the NFL network and getting into the hall. :tt:

SacknificentStew56
02-06-2011, 04:48 AM
I think Jerry "Geritol" Jones had something to do with it. Not only are we playing the BIG game in his stadium, but how in the heck does Dawson or Bus not make it in this year? It's a conspiracy.

steeltheone
02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Deion Was one of the best cover corners and kick returners ever....Bottom line

Cannonball Butler
02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Deion Sanders never made a tackle in his life. It is tackle football, right ? Non deserving, in my book.

Rick5895
02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Ed Sabol is a significant factor as to why the NFL is as popular as it is today - during the 60s and 70s when pro football passed baseball as the national pastime, NFL Films rolled out weekly 30 minute shows on the game of the week that were run on local stations around the country, filmed the footage for Cosell to narrate highlights on Monday Night Football halftime (a huge deal then since there was no ESPN until 1979) and put together the films narrated by Facenda that mythologized the teams and players - but I guess you had to be watching at the time to appreciate it

In terms of contributions to the game Sabol earned his place in Canton as much as many of the owners who have gone in

Did not expect Bettis to get it in his first year (good career stats but few breakout seasons) and am afraid it is getting tough for Dawson as the years pass

One piece of good news is it looks less likely than ever Paul Tagliabue will ever get in

I agree with hyou on ED Sabol, but not at the expense of any player. He could have been added as a 1 time only extra as a contributor. I didn't expect Bettis in this year either, however, Dawson is arguably one of the best centers to play, righ there with Webby and a lot better than Dwight Stephenson.

MDSteel15
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
You want to start snubbs, Charles Haley is the ONLY player to start on 5 Super Bowl Champions and Richard Dent gets in over him? BullSh$t...

mesaSteeler
02-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Deion Sanders never made a tackle in his life. It is tackle football, right ? Non deserving, in my book.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Atlanta Dan
02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Here's how it works. If your a staff member of the NFL Network, you're guaranteed a seat upon nomination. How else can you explain Deion getting in? The HOF should be about class as a player. Deion demonstrated none of that. He just hyped it up and played for half a dozen teams in 14 years.

Have to respectfully disagree - You make it sound like Sanders kept getting cut and played special teams to hold on to a roster spot

Cannot blame Sanders for getting drafted by the woeful Falcons - when he had the chance he got away from the Falcons mess, went to the 49ers, and won a ring

Next year he left the 49ers for the Cowboys and won another ring

Sanders refused to tackle but he was a peerless cover corner and punt returner (53 INTs and 22 TDs) - his style of play might not have worked well in the 70s but as the game has evolved he had the skill set that is increasingly required from a corner - I am no fan of Sanders' personality but he didn't get the #34 position on the NFL Network top 100 players list because he works for the network

oBBwQ6KeP7c&feature=related

fer522
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM
marshall faulk stats
Career 176 156 2836 12279

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FaulMa00.htm

Jerome Bettis stats
Career 192 153 3479 13662

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00.htm

i think the bus should have made it in this year :noidea:
or may be im just being bias IDK

steel-EERS
02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Dawson was straight out the best Center of his generation, no one else comes even close. alot of anti steelers crap going around this month!