PDA

View Full Version : The hot team, or the tempered one?

mesaSteeler
02-06-2011, 07:56 AM
The hot team, or the tempered one?
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/05/the-hot-team-or-the-tempered-one
Posted Feb. 05, 2011 @ 3:23 p.m. ET
By Tom Danyluk

DALLAS The winter offensive. The history pages are vivid in their descriptions. Christmas Eve cold, January ice ... shortages, draining armies to a halt. At Valley Forge, it was worn soles and empty flasks and small coal fires. Prayers for an early thaw ... but survivors.

Others collapsed in rubble ... General Paulus and the German 6th, overextended and running dry on fuel at the Stalingrad outskirts. Casualties buried in snow, frozen in their last known positions.

Joe Gibbs, a coach with three rings, said it: "The character of your team is revealed in December."

The Green Bay Packers have launched their own winter campaign; it's been a mighty one. In December they stood at 8-6, wounded and teetering. Then, the call to mobilize. They're unbeaten ever since, and they've collected believers along the way.

The '07 Giants were such a team, the late sizzle that everyone expected to cool right through the fourth quarter of that Super Bowl against unbeaten New England, as they gunned and surged downfield for the winning points. The '07 Giants never cooled off.

Nor did Pittsburgh in 2005 same journey, limping along at 7-5 then the sudden eight-game burst to win it all in sleety Detroit.

Are these Packers of the same thread, in this version of the push, their quarterback lifting his game nearly every mile of the way? Only the Steelers, a thin but hardened club, remain in their path.

I'm convinced the Green Bay surge climaxed two weeks ago, dying out in the gusts of Chicago. The Packer touchdown drives came swiftly and early, a direct carryover from their shock performance in Atlanta the week before. The Bear defenders were taking cover, lightning bursts hurling from the sky.

Then Chicago stabilized. Its cover men found their legs, its linebackers made the right drops, and the only remaining Green Bay threat of the afternoon was killed off by a Brian Urlacher interception.

Even prior to the helmet shot from Julius Peppers, in the third quarter, Aaron Rodgers was out of sync and dialing up wrong numbers. Can't credit the Chicago pass rush for that there was none.

Now he faces a Steeler defense with one apparent weakness in-close pass coverage. After the Patriots murdered Pittsburgh in Week 10, the media ran with the theme dice up the Steelers short, quick throws, lots of them. Dick LeBeau has no answer for it! His corners and extra DBs are sickly; they give ground and play back to survive.

What failed to register with these geniuses is that the Pats' strategy worked only because Tom Brady was making those throws. One of the most pinpoint deliveries in history ... snappy, true, with minimal mistakes. It was like a carnival game, Brady with an armful of plush toys. Most teams don't have that luxury.

Green Bay, with the blooming Rodgers, might. I suspect they'll go at Pittsburgh early in a similar style, the tight routes, forcing McFadden and Gay and Taylor and Madison to work closer to the line of scrimmage. If Rodgers is on, he'll pry open some operating room that will loosen things downfield. And that's where the Green Bay attack has conducted its real damage.

But the gnat attack style is not in Rodgers' DNA. It appeals to certain throwers ... Brady, the accurate old Raider Rich Gannon, Montana ... but Rodgers is no cat burglar. He prefers the big heist, plundering the vaults in big, greedy chunks.

But those plays require a longer pocket to develop. Which introduces the Steeler pass rush to the equation, and now we're talking about a whole different set of problems. A hurried throw or tipped pass, maybe one of those ends up in Pittsburgh hands. Then the Steelers' Valley Forge hardening can begin exerting its influence on the game.

I heard Pat Summerall, the great CBS man, say it the other day. Someone stuck a mic on him down there in the Jerry World media circus, and he kept it simple.

"Pittsburgh wins the best team Green Bay's faced all year." The difference Steeler toughness.

Toughness ... what the hell does that really mean? It's become a throwaway word. Everybody's tough in pro ball. It's more than just toughness. It's when it's applied.

The Steelers, a platoon of roughnecks all year round. They're geared for these high-level battles in July. I like them over a team that suddenly burns hot ... that waits until snowfall to fire up its engines.

Prediction: Steelers 26 , Packers 13

bob420
02-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Good thing the Steelers have only gone 8-1 in their last 9 games. Wouldn't want them to be hot coming into the SuperBowl.

btaylor179
02-06-2011, 08:04 AM
here we go steelers here we go!

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Good thing the Steelers have only gone 8-1 in their last 9 games. Wouldn't want them to be hot coming into the SuperBowl.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ChrisBerman.jpg

"... but they're playing in a dome..."

stlrtruck
02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
The problem with being hot is eventually you do cool off.

The beauty of being tempered is that you never lose your poise, and eventually you come through the fire shaped for destiny, forged for greatness!

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
The thing I've always believed about hot teams is that when a team is hot, it generally means that they've already peaked and are riding that wave for as long as they can.

The flipside of that is a team like the Steelers who are (in my opinion) still in the process of peaking and haven't quite gotten there yet.

The difference is that while a team is still peaking, they haven't reached the top of the wave yet while a hot team is in some sense waiting for the wave to break and hoping that it doesn't happen at the wrong moment.

Our peak would be to put together the complete game against a quality opponent which is something we've come close to doing but haven't quite done yet.

Hopefully, that game will come today.

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
The difference is that while a team is still peaking, they haven't reached the top of the wave yet while a hot team is in some sense waiting for the wave to break and hoping that it doesn't happen at the wrong moment.

What Green Bay may've gained (a well-deserved rest) during this 2-week break may've been what they couldn't afford to lose (continuity of the hot-streak they'd been showing), while Pittsburgh has a group of players who learned how to handle this media-hyped vacation during the last 5 years:
this could be a very-small advantage for Pittsburgh

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Wouldn't it stand to reason the GB may be the best/toughest team Pittsburgh has faced this season as well?

Well that's a matter of opinion of course.

As far as "toughest" goes, it would be hard to say that any team that we've faced is tougher than Baltimore for a variety of reasons most of which go way beyond X's and O's.

As far as best is concerned, WE'RE the best team in football, so I really can't answer that one. :tt02:

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
After watching the Ravens choke away a game they should have won, we are tougher than them....no doubt.

Like I said, it's all a matter of opinion, but there is rarely a "choke" in a Ravens / Steelers game.

It's more like a "No mas" moment.

SteelCityMom
02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't it stand to reason the GB may be the best/toughest team Pittsburgh has faced this season as well?

They are the two best teams in the NFL right now, so yes, I would say they are.

Ravens are definitely tough matchups for us though. Not saying they are better than the Packers, but they are a tough team that the Steelers faced 3 times this season. No team knows us better than they do.

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
What Green Bay may've gained (a well-deserved rest) during this 2-week break may've been what they couldn't afford to lose (continuity of the hot-streak they'd been showing), while Pittsburgh has a group of players who learned how to handle this media-hyped vacation during the last 5 years:
this could be a very-small advantage for Pittsburgh

See? Great minds DO think alike! :thmbup:

LVSteelersfan
02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
The Steelers are going to beat the crap out of the Packers like they do every game. By the time the 4th quarter rolls around, the fat ass Raji and company will be so out of gas that the Steelers will roll in the 4th quarter. The question is will it be coming from behind. I don't think so. I think the game will stay close until crunch time and one of the greatest comeback QBs of this decade will show the world once more that he refuses to let the Steelers lose. Jennings may get a long score, but that will be one play. I don't think the Packer's LBs will be able to stop the Steelers short passing routes by Ward, Miller, Sanders and Mendenhall. I think Wallace will be a decoy that takes 2 players totally out of the play. If they run Sanders and Wallace on go routes at the same time, the middle of the field will be wide open for Miller who will eat the Packer's LBs for lunch.

KingsOfTheGridiron
02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
The dropped passes, the obvious mental mistakes.......bro, you know the Ravens choked that playoff game away this year.

Forced turnovers and sacks mean nothing I guess. You're a joke.

SteelCityMom
02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
The dropped passes, the obvious mental mistakes.......bro, you know the Ravens choked that playoff game away this year.

Shit happens. Give credit to the Steelers for creating havok.

You'd think you'd be a little more objective about it considering that the Packers nearly choked away a 14-0 lead to a division rival with a 3rd string QB leading the way...but I guess not. :noidea:

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Both teams are tough. Both teams are hot. One glaring difference I'm seeing from the players leading up to this game is that the Packers seem to have a more collective tone of arrogance about them. The Steelers, to a man, seem to be much more quiet.

I'm just ready for the Steel Curtain to unleash hell in a few hours.

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM

After watching the Ravens choke away a game they should have won, we are tougher than them....no doubt.

... are you 'asking', or 'TELLING' ?

Baltimore is a 'tougher'-team, while Green Bay is probably a better-balance of offensive fire-power & defense ~ the Pack might win against the Purple-Browns... but would they 'survive'???

GBpack2010
02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Packer Messiah I am a huge Packer fan too but Pittsburgh outplayed Baltimore in that game. The Ravens didnt choke it away. My stomach is in knots right now as I type this. Packer Messiah have some respect because were in for a tough battle.

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
See, THIS is the part where stats mean nothing and passing numbers and rushing numbers and all that crap goes out the window.

Now it's all about who brings it!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Now it's all about who brings it!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/JamesHarrisonbringsthecheckbooktoSB45.jpg

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 02:21 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!

:steelersflag: :steelersflag: :steelersflag: :steelersflag: :steelersflag: :steelersflag: :steelersflag: