PDA

View Full Version : Underestimating wallace

ETL
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
The media are so so stupid, I can't stand it. It's been a while since Wallace had a big game and idiots on ESPN are saying that Woodson and Williams are going to shut down Wallace as if it's a fact. I can't see either of them keep up with Wallace.

Watch Wallace burn them for two TDs early

Packerstud
02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Your own coach called him a "One Trick Pony"....jeeze

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/steelers-hc-mike-tomlin-press-conference-tuesday-september-28th-week-4-ravens/

Farrior_roirraW
02-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Hopefully the Packers believe this. :thumbsup:

tube517
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
BSPN has Rodgers already in the HOF. The Packers also spent every night going to mass and watching Bambi and going to sleep at 7:30pm. They can't lose. :jerkit:

The media are so so stupid, I can't stand it. It's been a while since Wallace had a big game and idiots on ESPN are saying that Woodson and Williams are going to shut down Wallace as if it's a fact. I can't see either of them keep up with Wallace.

jjpro11
02-06-2011, 10:48 AM

if you have been listening to the media this week, you would come to realize Woodson and Williams are first ballot HOFers.. Aaron Rodgers already has his bust carved out. Clay Matthews is the best linebacker in history.. James Harrison is an afterthought and Lamarr Woodley doesn't exist.. Hines is washed up.. Ben is a horrible human.

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 10:52 AM
This has been brought up before and in a straight-line situation, most teams are able to contain a speed receiver and most have been able to contain Wallace strictly from that point of view.

But Wallace, like every other Steeler receiver is not about just one thing but is now able to use his speed and his quickness and combine it with the ability (necessity) to read the situation and most importantly read Ben to extend plays and to "work" a route to suit the moment.

It's been decades since the Stallworth / Swann type of "bomb threat" has really existed in the NFL and though speed is valuable, it's not nearly as valuable as smarts.

Take Hines and Miller for example.

Here are two guys who are hardly the fastest guys out there yet they are consistently the most productive receivers in the league because they play smart and they play in the moment. Wallace, Sanders and Brown are quickly becoming the type of thinking receiver that we prefer and the type of receivers that don't just run routes and then come trotting back. They start off with a route - a plan, but they all know that that plan will likely change very quickly and that they need to create opportunities instead of just running a route.

In Wallace's case, he was certainly a deep threat in the early part of the season but like so many fast runners, he was "solved" by most defenses. Now, his breakaway speed and acceleration are far more valuable and so short routes can turn into big plays by virtue of being able to accelerate after a "routine" catch and he often has more yards after a catch than the yards gained by the catch itself.

He may have had only one trick when he first stepped on the field but now he has developed a whole catalog of illusions and when combined with the downfield blocking expected of every receiver we have, his stock has gone up quite a bit and is still rising.

stlrtruck
02-06-2011, 10:55 AM

I think you missed the first word in that comment, "Teases receiver Mike Wallace openly and calls him a one-trick pony."

steeltheone
02-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe because Wallce is 4 rec for 26 yards in the first 2 playoff games..... He blew up against Cleveland and Carolina the last 2 games of the regular season...... He needs to do it when it counts. He is still not on Santonios level yet.

dsr
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Woodson won't be covering Wallace. Williams or Shields will be on Wallace, Woodson (although starting) will be playing more or less as nickel corner and/or safety. All three corners will be on the field almost every down, but when three defensive linemen are in, Peprah (starting safety) won't be.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
8S0vHa0lfK8

frunko1
02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
did anyone else notice tyrone carter getting beat on almost every touchdown?

LVSteelersfan
02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
I can't wait for that one trick pony to take two players with him downfield and leave it wide open for the seam route to Hines Ward who is going to have a HUGE day today. If not him, then Miller or Sanders are going to be open. The key to this game is keeping Matthews out of there. If he is held at bay for most of the game, the Steelers will roll. Heath Miller will be the man who has to keep Matthews out of there and he is well suited to the task as the most underrated blocking TE in the game.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/steelers-hc-mike-tomlin-press-conference-tuesday-september-28th-week-4-ravens/

ETL
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
3 guys that were on that field on that last game that are not here today and will be a factor:

1. Jermichael Finley
2. Ryan Grant
3. Tyrone Carter

ETL
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM

I am going to give you a new nickname. It's "Trojan" because you come here kissing our asses about what a great team we have and how great out organization is, blah blah, blah but deep down you think we are chopped liver basically here for the Packers to feast on.

And after the STEELERS win, you are gonna be like all the other Trojans we had from Jets fans, Ravens fans, Cardinal fans, and Seahawk fans who will whine about some Refs call and how the NFL wants the Steelers to win.

I know your type. You will butter us up and give us props for he win but throw one last stone about that one call that could have cost the Packers he game. You're all the same - just another hater.

pete74
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Maybe because Wallce is 4 rec for 26 yards in the first 2 playoff games..... He blew up against Cleveland and Carolina the last 2 games of the regular season...... He needs to do it when it counts. He is still not on Santonios level yet.

exactly. wallace did well against the nonplayoff teams but both the ravens and jets did one hell of a job shutting him completly out of the game. hopefully the packs dont do the same thing

DanRooney
02-06-2011, 01:33 PM
3 guys that were on that field on that last game that are not here today and will be a factor:

1. Jermichael Finley
2. Ryan Grant
3. Tyrone Carter

4. Deshea Townsend
5. Max Starks
6. Willie Colon
7. Justin Hartwig (lol)
8. Santonio Holmes

FanSince72
02-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I am going to give you a new nickname. It's "Trojan" because you come here kissing our asses about what a great team we have and how great out organization is, blah blah, blah but deep down you think we are chopped liver basically here for the Packers to feast on.

And after the STEELERS win, you are gonna be like all the other Trojans we had from Jets fans, Ravens fans, Cardinal fans, and Seahawk fans who will whine about some Refs call and how the NFL wants the Steelers to win.

I know your type. You will butter us up and give us props for he win but throw one last stone about that one call that could have cost the Packers he game. You're all the same - just another hater.

I think that people who camp out on the opposition's forums are just trying talk themselves into believing their own bullshit.

I don't go to Packers forums to make myself think we can win.

I ALREADY KNOW WE CAN!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!

El Nino
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
exactly. wallace did well against the nonplayoff teams but both the ravens and jets did one hell of a job shutting him completly out of the game. hopefully the packs dont do the same thing

ben is partly to blame for it imo. wallace beat the coverage in both games and ben failed to hit him in stride.

steelers33
02-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Yah he needs to play big, we all know he has the athletic talent just how is his mental state going into this game. Hines should help him, Sanders, and Brown out with that because those three receiver's speed on turf will make a difference.

SteelKnight
02-06-2011, 03:22 PM

I hope you are right...we'll see. I do know if he wants to be considered a big time receiver he has to come through. 3 shut downs in a row...all postseason is not big time. I think he'll do it!

El Nino
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Yah he needs to play big, we all know he has the athletic talent just how is his mental state going into this game. Hines should help him, Sanders, and Brown out with that because those three receiver's speed on turf will make a difference.

wallace is gonna be a LOT faster on that turf too. hopefully ben got the timing down on it

tanda10506
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

You guys still don't have anybody that can keep up with him

ETL
02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
wallace is gonna be a LOT faster on that turf too. hopefully ben got the timing down on it

I have yet to see Ben over throw this guy.

El Nino
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I have yet to see Ben over throw this guy.

i hear he does all the time in practice. then again that could just be smoke and mirrors by tomlin :chuckle:

Packerstud
02-06-2011, 07:09 PM

What me? You need to read my posts. I gave your forum props but I don't say nice things about the Steelers. You got me confused with somebody else