PDA

View Full Version : What would you change in the steelers right now?

GoldJohn
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
If you could make some reasonable changes what would they be. Whether its fixing the O-Line or improving backfield what would it be ?

Stairway2-7
02-06-2011, 10:28 PM
release GAY!!!!!!!!

stb_steeler
02-06-2011, 10:30 PM
What worries me the most is next season.. Will our D be able to compete being that some are up there in age. I sure hope we can fill those positions.

Merchant
02-06-2011, 10:30 PM
release GAY!!!!!!!!

I think Gay is developing into a solid Nickel-back. McFadden is the weak-link and that's what I would change. We need a good corner opposite Ike.

SteelCityMom
02-06-2011, 10:31 PM
OL and Arians are my biggest worry right now.

They'll get the D worked out relatively well, offense needs the most attention though IMO.

casteeler
I think Gay is developing into a solid Nickel-back. McFadden is the weak-link and that's what I would change. We need a good corner opposite Ike.

You must be high! Gay is horrible

electrotune1200
Using our recievers to their potential. Too many hook routes. You hit those guys in stride and they are gone.

GoldJohn
02-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I want a solid O-line and some better secondary coverage

BigRick
02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
release GAY!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Walt
02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I think they have to improve the secondary first and foremost. Yes, the o-line is a problem but really tonight the o-line played pretty well considering the injuries and the opponent. You've got all five of these guys, plus Colon, Starks, and Pouncey coming back. Assuming they resign the free agents.

Ike is not bad but he's not elite, and we don't have anyone outside of Troy who is a ball hawk. As long as we are weak in the secondary teams like the Packers and Patriots will just throw the ball every down and beat us when it counts.

MACH1
02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
We should start with getting a real OC.

TRH
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
don't even have to look at any other responses.

The FREAGIN' secondary (its horrible).
And cut K. Fox. He's committed numerous stupid game-killing penalties this year.

ricksteelers55
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM

And cut K. Fox. He's committed numerous stupid game-killing penalties this year.

Oh yeah...if I'm the GM,Fox is out, I would seriously consider drafting Maurkice's twin brother Mike and I wouldnt mind us taking a shot at the Safety out of WVU Robert Sands

ETL
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I like Gay. McFadden was weak at then end of the year. If we can afford a shut down corner, I would like one.

stb_steeler
02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Gay got beat by Patriots TE , he was horrible tonight.

HAWK
02-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Release Gay and improve pass protection.

dpiedra
02-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Secondary is the weakest link ... Play selection is lame ... Learn to use those receivers on quick plays for 5 -10 yds

TRH
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Secondary is the weakest link ... Play selection is lame ... Learn to use those receivers on quick plays for 5 -10 yds

i agree w/you that the play selection sucked. We threw too many of those dumb screen passes that barely got us any yards whatsoever.
Problem is, we made it to the SB. Do you know what that means? It means that they'll NEVER get rid of our offensive coordinator, at least for another year or two at best. You don't fire guys when they get you to the SB.
Problem is, Arians dumbness didn't get us here and its shielded by a great D (at least up until tonight...) and by helluva lot of lucky plays (we had a ton this year...the reality is that we should have never even got this far...).
So Arians will be back. No question. Damnit.

WickedSteel
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
They need a shakeup in the secondary and o line help. Give Ben an o line like Rodgers or Brady and he will be able to shine hooking up with the young speedsters.

TRH
02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
They need a shakeup in the secondary and o line help. Give Ben an o line like Rodgers or Brady and he will be able to shine hooking up with the young speedsters.

i'd agree with that.
As much as people want to "credit" the OL (and they did well considering how deep the injuries are), the fact is Ben's constantly running for his life. If you review the game on film, look how quick the defenders are all over him and around him. Its ridiculous.
Then watch Rogers. Although we got to him a couple times, most of the time he had much more time than Ben to stand back there.
I think the secondary needs a bigger shakeup 1st. Its just plain bad. We also need to start playing Troy where he's best again. This thing of playing him 20 yards deep is just not working out for us.
The OL will be better because next year we'll automatically have Colon, Starks, and Pouncey back.

oregonfootball
02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
We better start to look beyond Ben, like they did for farve. A great one would have easily tipped this one's favor for us. Ben'soff field distractions had to hurt too at least some.:puke::puke:

JCPsteelers
02-06-2011, 11:59 PM

This right here. The corners are an embarrassment. Gay and McFadden couldn't cover my grandmother.

Sixburgher
02-07-2011, 12:15 AM
We better start to look beyond Ben, like they did for farve. A great one would have easily tipped this one's favor for us. Ben'soff field distractions had to hurt too at least some.:puke::puke:

Maybe we should tank next season so we can draft Luck.

Stupid. The worst part of losing a Super Bowl is people spewing this kind of mindless crap.

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 12:20 AM
For all the questionable playing by the O line this season, they stepped it up at the end of the season and through out the playoffs. We need a corner bad, but Arians has to go. I'm not worried about age or linebackers or D line, that will all be fine, it always is. I love the Steelers, but it will be tough watching them next year if Arians returns. Cut Arians and get another corner back.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I want a solid O-line and some better secondary coverage

I'm not saying our O-Line is great and we should definitely try and improve it. But it is not the entire problem.. Ben needs to hit receivers in stride. He needs to get more comfortable hitting quick slants, etc. The short intermediate routes have pretty much been written out of the playbook.

Our secondary coverage sucks. It does. What shall we do?.. Should we bring in a shut down corner over signing Woodley? I'm not super impressed w/Woodley.. I think he is good because he plays in our system. He reminds me of Chad Brown.. What did Chad Brown do the rest of his career. He was quiet..

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I like Gay. McFadden was weak at then end of the year. If we can afford a shut down corner, I would like one.

Just curious... Would you spend the money on Woodley or sign a shut down corner? I mean the one in Oakland. No way our CB play improves via the draft next year.

JCPsteelers
02-07-2011, 12:53 AM
all things considered, I actually thought the OL held up pretty well today. With Colon and Starks coming back next year off injury I'm okay with where we are.

The corners, big weak link.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
God....just title this thread "Let's complain about Gay and Arians" The entire team sucked today.

oregonfootball
02-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Maybe we should tank next season so we can draft Luck.

Stupid. The worst part of losing a Super Bowl is people spewing this kind of mindless crap.

Mindless Crap? You just love him too much. Duh.
I said nothing of tanking on purpose.
I simply said an elite QB would have easily won this for us. That's a fact! Why are the Packers where they are? Rodgers can kill us.

Sixburgher
02-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Mindless Crap? You just love him too much. Duh.
I said nothing of tanking on purpose.
I simply said an elite QB would have easily won this for us. That's a fact! Why are the Packers where they are? Rodgers can kill us.

And you're just another faultfinding nimrod who can't see the forest for the trees. You clearly implied that Ben needs to be replaced with an "elite QB." So where do we get the "elite QB?" Is there an "Elite QB Tree" out there I'm unaware of? Duh!

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
release GAY!!!!!!!!

replace mcfadden. gay is a good nickel. we need crezdon butler and keenan lewis to show something. draft a corner in the 1st round in this upcoming draft. we are good on o-line right now if we don't have injuries coming our way again

BritishSteel
02-07-2011, 03:21 AM
replace mcfadden. gay is a good nickel. we need crezdon butler and keenan lewis to show something. draft a corner in the 1st round in this upcoming draft. we are good on o-line right now if we don't have injuries coming our way again

This - A good corner to compliment Taylor is crucial - without one we'll always look vulnerable as we did yesterday. We need to take a CB in round 1 in April, though the cb we've drafted in the last couple of drafts need to stand up and be counted.

steelcity1974
02-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Same thing I'd change for the last several years. Need better O linemen and better CBs.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Same thing I'd change for the last several years. Need better O linemen and better CBs.

We have a winner.

Ideally, or rather in the perfect world, we'd address these needs in Free Agency and stock up on future talent on the draft, but that's highly unlikely.

Still, one can dream. I wish we can lure as many talented ring-chasers as we can find, and have ourselves one dominant team. Flozell was great for us this season, I'm sure there are others out there who'd do the same thing.

Nnami Asomugha, Champ Bailey, Richard Seymour, to name a few. These guys want to win a ring (in Seymour's case, another one) and they all have superfluous amounts of money already.

Just thinking about that defense gets me too excited, and sad too, because it will never happen :noidea:

LE - Aaron Smith
NT - Casey Hampton
RE - Richard Seymour

LOLB - LaMarr Woodley
ILB - Lawrence Timmons
ILB - James Farrior
ROLB - James Harrison

CB - Nnamdi Asomugha
FS - Ryan Clark
SS - Troy Polamalu
CB - Ike Taylor

Nickel / Dime extra DB - Champ Bailey

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I0KlWPiJ0R8/SgVM_OHqVDI/AAAAAAAAADc/7JiF6_nQfc0/s320/noyphh.jpg

pete74
02-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Arians needs to go. Green Bay brought in 2 big guys every single time we had the ball on 1st down then took them out on 2nd. who the hell is stupied enough to run on every 1st down when you know the other team is expecting it? Arians.

we also need a corner round 1 in the draft. Mcfadden could be a good nickel corner but he is not good enough to start. Arizona dropped him after 1 year for a good reason and we wont make playoffs next year if we dont change our secondary. teams know now that they can throw all day on us.

if there is a good WR in round 3 i would jump on him. i know alot of you think sanders and brown are stars but i dont see it. sanders may do well but i dont see brown ever starting and this will probably be ward and el's final season so we need help.

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Ryan Clark has lost a step ..... Farrior is horrid on pass coverage....Hampton is highly overrated

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 05:55 AM
As I have read this thread, it is littered with the typical responses after a loss, our secondary sucks, we need OL help, Arians must go, even the traditional we better draft a QB. As I watched the game I felt the difference in the game was the QB play. Rodgers was on fire and Ben was a little off. I wonder if Wallace had the big game jitters because (even though he had 9 catches) he seemed to be on a different page than Ben a couple of times. That May have been Ben but maybe Wallace ran the wrong routes on occasion.
I felt the secondary did fine, Rodgers was terrific. He put throws in very tight spots and most other QB would have had picks in those situations.
I think we may have found a starting guard for the future in Legursky, he was, IMO, outstanding.
I am not a fan of Arians, but the game he called was by and large decent, except the call on the pic 6. We failed to execute on O. We had receivers open with Ben missing them. We took 2 ridiculas penalties on ST, the first being the block in the back which then led to a pick 6 then Fox's penalty (which has been to common place) on the last kick off.
Our QB wasn't sharp but we were within 6 points of another title after giving them 21 points off turnovers.
Sometimes, instead of trashing our team, we might just applaud the opponent for playing a nearly flawless game.
we are fine at QB, RB, DL, LB, S, we could use some CB depth and OL help. We need to attempt to resign Colon, Woodley and Ike and draft well like we always seem to do. I also think Butler will show something next season ( the reason he didn't dress much this year was he struggles with ST's)
I for one am excited about next season.

pete74
02-07-2011, 06:01 AM
As I have read this thread, it is littered with the typical responses after a loss, our secondary sucks, we need OL help, Arians must go, even the traditional we better draft a QB. As I watched the game I felt the difference in the game was the QB play. Rodgers was on fire and Ben was a little off. I wonder if Wallace had the big game jitters because (even though he had 9 catches) he seemed to be on a different page than Ben a couple of times. That May have been Ben but maybe Wallace ran the wrong routes on occasion.
I felt the secondary did fine, Rodgers was terrific. He put throws in very tight spots and most other QB would have had picks in those situations.
I think we may have found a starting guard for the future in Legursky, he was, IMO, outstanding.
I am not a fan of Arians, but the game he called was by and large decent, except the call on the pic 6. We failed to execute on O. We had receivers open with Ben missing them. We took 2 ridiculas penalties on ST, the first being the block in the back which then led to a pick 6 then Fox's penalty (which has been to common place) on the last kick off.
Our QB wasn't sharp but we were within 6 points of another title after giving them 21 points off turnovers.
Sometimes, instead of trashing our team, we might just applaud the opponent for playing a nearly flawless game.
we are fine at QB, RB, DL, LB, S, we could use some CB depth and OL help. We need to attempt to resign Colon, Woodley and Ike and draft well like we always seem to do. I also think Butler will show something next season ( the reason he didn't dress much this year was he struggles with ST's)
I for one am excited about next season.

i wouldnt blame anything on wallace, he had his man burnt for 2 td's but ben couldnt deliver. if anyone had the jitters it was ben. most of his throws were off or poorely thrown. he just hasnt been himself since game 1 in the playoffs. if he was able to get the ball were it needed to be like Rodgers did we would of won. our line gave him more then enough time he just was way off last night

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 06:05 AM
i wouldnt blame anything on wallace, he had his man burnt for 2 td's but ben couldnt deliver. if anyone had the jitters it was ben. most of his throws were off or poorely thrown. he just hasnt been himself since game 1 in the playoffs. if he was able to get the ball were it needed to be like Rodgers did we would of won. our line gave him more then enough time he just was way off last night

I didn't blame Wallace I only questioned whether or not he was on the same page and maybe ran the wrong routes on occasion.. I DID say I felt Ben was off and ultimately that was the difference in the game, Rodgers was perfect and ben was not.

StainlessStill
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Time to rebuild our offensive line. Pouncey is our staple. We are looking great at the WR position. Very young, speedy, clutch men in Sanders, Brown and Wallace. Hines will be back for a couple more and Heath, I think, STILL needs to be targeted. Can't target him if we don't have an o-line to match our new style so, the draft needs to be offensive line, defensive line, and secondary HEAVY, maybe a corner 1st-second round and maybe get Pouncey in the 3rd.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 06:26 AM
bring back Plaxico, trade Gay.

SouthTexasSteel
02-07-2011, 06:43 AM

That... I was keeping that to myself, but I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that.

we are fine at QB, RB, DL, LB, S, we could use some CB depth and OL help.

Not ruling out the need for a safety yet. I'm holding my breath on Troy's injury. I rehabbed an strained achillies injury from 12 years ago that still hurts in cold weather and when I run too long. Granted I was 36 when I got it... :chuckle:

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Time to rebuild our offensive line. Pouncey is our staple. We are looking great at the WR position. Very young, speedy, clutch men in Sanders, Brown and Wallace. Hines will be back for a couple more and Heath, I think, STILL needs to be targeted. Can't target him if we don't have an o-line to match our new style so, the draft needs to be offensive line, defensive line, and secondary HEAVY, maybe a corner 1st-second round and maybe get Pouncey in the 3rd.

It would be great if Pouncey dropped t the 3rd. However, he is rated as the top interior OL prospect coming out, so if we want him and he is there at 31 that is where we pick him.

StainlessStill
02-07-2011, 06:48 AM
It would be great if Pouncey dropped t the 3rd. However, he is rated as the top interior OL prospect coming out, so if we want him and he is there at 31 that is where we pick him.

Depends on how deep the other positions are in this draft, skill guys-wise. If so, then we could snag him possibly in the second but it won't be at 31.

isunormalil
02-07-2011, 07:02 AM
One name is all you need to know. I don't care how the ownership needs to make this happen...but getting Nnamdi Asomugha without losing woodley would be a big move. Our defensive backfield has been average at best the past 10 years.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Special teams coordinator. How many penalties on kick returns did we have last night? Who really thought Suisham had a prayer in hell of making that 52 yarder? I know I didn't. New kicker.

CB

OL

Yes, please shit can Arians as well.

isunormalil
02-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Special teams coordinator. How many penalties on kick returns did we have last night? Who really thought Suisham had a prayer in hell of making that 52 yarder? I know I didn't. New kicker.

CB

OL

Yes, please shit can Arians as well.

The 52 yard attempt was a terrible call. Everyone in our room was yelling punt the dang ball. Pin them inside the 10, or give them the ball on the 20. Terrible call!

TRH
02-07-2011, 07:32 AM
The 52 yard attempt was a terrible call. Everyone in our room was yelling punt the dang ball. Pin them inside the 10, or give them the ball on the 20. Terrible call!

ABSOLUTELY true. I was screaming at the TV at the time. STUPID call, stupid coaching. You don't kick from that distance at that time. You punt and try to pin them. Chances are too high that Suisham misses that kick. Its a long one and the much added pressure of being in the SB.
Really poor coaching. Bad decision.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 07:33 AM

I was thinking 2 things;

1. Idiot colts letting Stover try that 50+ yarder last year that gave the Saints great field position and set up a go-ahead TD.

2. I would have rather seen them go for it, even on 3rd and very long. At least if they don't get it or fall short, it's still better field position then the 7 or more yards you lose on the missed FG.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 08:44 AM
bring back Plaxico, trade Gay.

Uggghh....I just threw up in my mouth a little. :chuckle:

bern1
02-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Fire Bruce Arians :drink:

caseyviator
02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
1ST- OUR PLAY CALLIN IS SO DAMM BAD!!! ARIANS HAS TO GO PERIOD!!!!!!.-WHO SAID TO TRY THE 52 YD FG?????? EVERYBODY WHERE I WAS WATCIN WAS IN SHOCK WHEN THEY LINED UP TO TRY...HOW IS IT SOO MANY CASUAL FOOTBAL FANS WERE SO AGAINST THIS TRY??? YET THEY , THE IN THE KNOW,, COACHES TRIED IT??????????
2ND- WE NEED 2 GOOD COVER GUYS 2 OF THEM....EVEN IF WE LET WOODLEY GO THATS FINE GET 2 GOOD COVER GUYS SELL OUT FOR THEM!! OUR COVERAGE ALWAYS BEATS US AGAINST THESE GOOD QBS..I MEAN COME ON, EVERYBODYS GONNA KEEP PASSIN ON US,,,,WE CAN REPLACE A LB EASIER THAN GET COVER GUYS...DO WHATEVER IT TAKE TO KEEP IKE AND GET 2 MORE COVER GUYS..HELL BUY REVIS!!!!

3-MENDY IS GONE!!!!! I SAID IT..HE JUST FUMBLES TOOOO MUCH IM SICK OF IT,.....WE CAN RUN REDMAN AND WHOEVER ELSE WHO DONT FUMBLE THIS IS REDICULAS!!!!!

THESE ARE THE 3 THINGS WRONGE WITH OUR TEAM-BIG THINGS

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 11:31 AM
1ST- OUR PLAY CALLIN IS SO DAMM BAD!!! ARIANS HAS TO GO PERIOD!!!!!!.-WHO SAID TO TRY THE 52 YD FG?????? EVERYBODY WHERE I WAS WATCIN WAS IN SHOCK WHEN THEY LINED UP TO TRY...HOW IS IT SOO MANY CASUAL FOOTBAL FANS WERE SO AGAINST THIS TRY??? YET THEY , THE IN THE KNOW,, COACHES TRIED IT??????????
2ND- WE NEED 2 GOOD COVER GUYS 2 OF THEM....EVEN IF WE LET WOODLEY GO THATS FINE GET 2 GOOD COVER GUYS SELL OUT FOR THEM!! OUR COVERAGE ALWAYS BEATS US AGAINST THESE GOOD QBS..I MEAN COME ON, EVERYBODYS GONNA KEEP PASSIN ON US,,,,WE CAN REPLACE A LB EASIER THAN GET COVER GUYS...DO WHATEVER IT TAKE TO KEEP IKE AND GET 2 MORE COVER GUYS..HELL BUY REVIS!!!!

3-MENDY IS GONE!!!!! I SAID IT..HE JUST FUMBLES TOOOO MUCH IM SICK OF IT,.....WE CAN RUN REDMAN AND WHOEVER ELSE WHO DONT FUMBLE THIS IS REDICULAS!!!!!

First off, lose the caps already. It's freaking annoying.

2nd...I get your frustrations, but how does Mendy fumble too much? Do you even know how many times he fumbled this year and last year?

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't make many changes. The young guys are only going to get better, and the only thing they really need to do is add some depth at cornerback and maybe another young linebacker or two linebacker (it's a shame Gibson is gone). Their starting corners aren't bad...Gay just had a bad game, and McFadden has been fighting through injury most of the year. Madison is not an everyday corner, they need a solid youngster in there.

tube517
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I think McFadden is too injury prone. He isn't the same player he was in earlier years. He was hurt with the Cards and this year too.

ebsteelers
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
first time posting, was super situtions of posting during the play off run, 22 years old life long steeler fan

as to what i would change.. we need some major upgrades at cornerback

if we could get a solid number 2 and move mcfadden to 3 gay to 4 then i think we would be in alot better shape then we are not

now im not sure of top cbs on the market beside asmagodaua (sp) and i know the steelers wont go after him its not there way,

but are there any other solid cbs out there?

what about cromartie?

i think the o line will be better another year with this oline coach plus will be getting guys back and with the experience they got this year will be a big plus

EastLibertyHomer
02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Get Kemoeatu into anger management.

Oh..and let the OC walk.

tube517
02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
You are right, This is Rediculas! :rofl:

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I would release Keenan Lewis immediately.

What does he offer this team?

MDSteel15
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
1. Bruce - One word, gone
2. Keyaron - cut!
3. Kemo - have a nice life...
4. Draft O-line help
5. Hold on for this... SIGN Nnamdi!!! Spend a little for this guy and help solidify the best damn defense in the league!!!

TRH
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Thinking about this.......there's so many changes that need made (hard to believe i'm saying this from a Super-Bowl appearing team..) that i can't even think clearly right now to properly get them all out on the table.

*i'm surprised Fox hasn't been cut as of yet today lol....look for him to be the very 1st casualty. Good riddance.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Let's all cut the Nnamdi talk now....we all know it isn't going to happen. It's nice on Madden, but we know this organization has been successful not running the Daniel Snyder model, and we'll most likely stick to that.

MDSteel15
02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Let's all cut the Nnamdi talk now....we all know it isn't going to happen. It's nice on Madden, but we know this organization has been successful not running the Daniel Snyder model, and we'll most likely stick to that.

I don't play video games like the rest of you. But every once in a while the Heads upstairs do bring somebody in like this!

kirklandrules
02-07-2011, 01:02 PM
*i'm surprised Fox hasn't been cut as of yet today lol....look for him to be the very 1st casualty. Good riddance.

Yeah, that is exactly what they used to do with James Harrison. Fox is a serviceable backup to Farrior. Without Fox there isn't a backup with enough speed to play that role if Farrior goes down or decides to hang up the pads. If you dump Fox, you might want to think about who fits this role going forward ... and remember it takes a good 2-3 years to understand the defense.

MDSteel15
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, that is exactly what they used to do with James Harrison. Fox is a serviceable backup to Farrior. Without Fox there isn't a backup with enough speed to play that role if Farrior goes down or decides to hang up the pads. If you dump Fox, you might want to think about who fits this role going forward ... and remember it takes a good 2-3 years to understand the defense.

Try Larry "F'ng" Foote!!!

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
OL and Arians are my biggest worry right now.

They'll get the D worked out relatively well, offense needs the most attention though IMO.

Agreed.

The shakiness and unpredictability of the O-line is putting way too much pressure on the defense to keep the game close. It's also not allowing for much in the way of creativity in play-calling because the line has enough trouble with simple plays and can't block for anything more complicated, so that results in either Ben running around or having to make "vanilla" plays against "rocky road" defenses.

That said, we DO however need to address the cornerback issue and we need to move mountains and try to get a pair of shutdown corners who we can depend on.

Gay, McFadden and Taylor are OK at best and with the exception of Taylor, seem to need too much safety support from Troy and Clark and that opens things up too much for good QB's. We need a pair of corners who can be left on their own much of the time without having to be watched over by the safeties to guard against small plays turning into huge plays.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Agreed.

The shakiness and unpredictability of the O-line is putting way too much pressure on the defense to keep the game close. It's also not allowing for much in the way of creativity in play-calling because the line has enough trouble with simple plays and can't block for anything more complicated, so that results in either Ben running around or having to make "vanilla" plays against "rocky road" defenses.

That said, we DO however need to address the cornerback issue and we need to move mountains and try to get a pair of shutdown corners who we can depend on.

Gay, McFadden and Taylor are OK at best and with the exception of Taylor, seem to need too much safety support from Troy and Clark and that opens things up too much for good QB's. We need a pair of corners who can be left on their own much of the time without having to be watched over by the safeties to guard against small plays turning into huge plays.

Oh yeah, I know the secondary needs some attention as well. Certainly haven't overlooked that...I think they'll get that taken care of though.

OL has been a huge problem for years now, both in run and pass blocking. I know injuries are partly to blame, and they're always going to happen...but hopefully we get some good, young guys in there who aren't always injured lol.

kirklandrules
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM

You mean the guy who can't cover his own shadow? I like Larry in run support, but he doesn't have the speed to keep up with TE and RBs. That is why you don't see Foote spell Farrior on obvious passing downs (he tended to spell Timmons).

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 01:47 PM

lol. props

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I would start by signing that one guy from Oakland.......

I forget his name?

Jason Cambel or something??

MDSteel15
02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
You mean the guy who can't cover his own shadow? I like Larry in run support, but he doesn't have the speed to keep up with TE and RBs. That is why you don't see Foote spell Farrior on obvious passing downs (he tended to spell Timmons).

OK so you move Timmons to Farrior's spot anf insert Foote! Not hard to think that thru :noidea:

sexyllama
02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Changes:

Coaching:

1. Worried about Lebeau/Butler situation
2. QB Coach needs to go. Ben should/can be elite. He needs more consistency. Needs to use his 2nd, 3rd, 4th reads (he missed many wide open guys while forcing to Wallace) Seriously, how come it took a suspension and an outside QB guru to fix his release, etc.
3. Secondary Coach needs to go. We haven't developed a CB or Safety since Cowher left. Name anything we've developed over 3 years?
4. Very minor but Discipline. What is up with all of our Raider-type penalties over the last 1-2 years...especially that stretch during the end of year with 120 to 140 yards in penalties. Ike headbutting that wasn't called, etc...
5. Props to Tomlin, Front Seven, and Kugler....
6. Worried about adjustments and Defense. i.e. name the CB's beyond the two starters for the JETS, that's right you can't. But they coached them up to play vs. Brady they went from 3-4, 4-3, to 3DL with 8 CBs. EIGHT. 4 you've never heard of but they played zone every time and played zone really well

Players
1. CB, CB, OL, OL, DL, CB, OL,
2. Great core but we need a free agent steal like Farrior for the CB Depth and OL Depth.
3. We can't possible have more OL injuries can we?
4. Hood should be starting was great out there.
5. Need Woodley and Ike
6. A great cover corner in FREE AGENCY would be awesome but we are the Steelers

Llama

MillerMania83
02-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I think they have to improve the secondary first and foremost. Yes, the o-line is a problem but really tonight the o-line played pretty well considering the injuries and the opponent. You've got all five of these guys, plus Colon, Starks, and Pouncey coming back. Assuming they resign the free agents.

Ike is not bad but he's not elite, and we don't have anyone outside of Troy who is a ball hawk. As long as we are weak in the secondary teams like the Packers and Patriots will just throw the ball every down and beat us when it counts.

BINGO...Couldn't agree with ya more...First and foremost the secondary needs to be improved BIG TIME this offseason....It's not a coincidence the elite/passing QB's in the league usually shred us when we play them, usually everytime....Facts are the facts folks.

tube517
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I would tell Mike Tomlin to stop his second job w/House and third job with the Black Eyed Peas

CaliStillersFan
02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
We only have 2 weaknesses, lack of depth on the offensive line and the lack of quality CB's. If our defense doesn't get pressure on opposing QB's our weak secondary gets exposed. Until we have 2 quality corners, games like yesterday are going to keep happening against solid QB's like Brady and Rodgers.

MillerMania83
02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Also on my wish list, I've been saying it for years now, and it almost happened last year, but Bruce Arians has to go, he just does....Too many instances where the play calling is just hideous....And some of the stuff is just common sense, but he does the exact opposite....IMO, I'm a Big Ben guy, true last nights wasn't his best, but I'd want him on my side over any other QB in the league....And with a top notch OC in the fold, I think Ben would just grow and get better for years down the road....BA IMO does NOTHING to help Ben progress as a QB with so many of his atrocious play calls, it's actually pathetic to watch most of the time.

And as for Gay, I wanted to send him out to pasture many times in the past....Plain and simple, THE GUY CAN'T COVER, he just can't, gets burned every time....But this year he has come up with some pretty good plays....Had a few sacks, was actually gettin to the QB this year....But he CAN'T COVER, thats a BIG PROBLEM, lol....The first TD yesterday, he wasn't in bad position, he was right there, but he was lookin' at the WR, didn't turn around, and when he did it was in the Nelson's hands....If he knew how to cover/play it right, he could have easliy swatted that ball away, have to make the plays, esp in the SUPER BOWL....In the end, IMO, time to let him go.

PhantomJB93
02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
1. Either find some how, some way to entice and sign Nnamdi Asomugha (if there is still no cap, I think we need to make an exception to our "self-imposed" cap to get this done), or draft a first round CB. Or hell, do both and let Ike hit the open market. Complete change of secondary personel couldn't hurt.
2. Fire Arians, hire...anybody else
3. Resign Woodley
4. Kepp Flozell another year, shift Colon to RG

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
1. Either find some how, some way to entice and sign Nnamdi Asomugha (if there is still no cap, I think we need to make an exception to our "self-imposed" cap to get this done), or draft a first round CB. Or hell, do both and let Ike hit the open market. Complete change of secondary personel couldn't hurt.
2. Fire Arians, hire...anybody else
3. Resign Woodley
4. Kepp Flozell another year, shift Colon to RG

Flozell Adams is average to below .....Bye Bye

SteelCurtain5643
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I would kill William Gay. He's worthless. The whole secondary is downright terrible with an exception to Ryan Clark. They need to rebuild the whole secondary and get guys who can defend against the pass alot better than the clowns we have now.

GoldJohn
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I would kill William Gay. He's worthless. The whole secondary is downright terrible with an exception to Ryan Clark. They need to rebuild the whole secondary and get guys who can defend against the pass alot better than the clowns we have now.

You forgot troy :thumbsup:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Mainly Secondary and resigning Ike and Woodley

Cutting McFadden,, if Smith is healthy he comes back in the rotation of the DL at reduced dollars, Sepulvada can be cut or traded if any value is there, I think we do need a kicker though.

We do not need to draft a DL till 4th round and work with him for a couple years. I think our Dline as is, meaning Keisel, Hampton, Hood, Smith etc can last a bit longer. You dont try to change the number 1, 3-4 line in football.

Oline needs to be addressed via the draft, we have enough pieces to create a decent rotation. But mendy ran great behind them, Ben had a good year. I do believe Ben needs to get out of the pocket to be succesfful. therefroe we dont need a top oline, lol Let some junk come through.

We will win the division next year, we minimally shoud be in the afc championship game. I dont think our schedule is that hard to not be at the top.

Eztarget
02-07-2011, 03:33 PM

This sums it up. If we had another corner that could cover guys when we blitz (which is a lot) then we'll be fine. As others have said though our D is aging and it's starting to show. Troy can't seem to make it a whole season anymore without some type of leg ailment, Farrior is looking slower and Harrison is getting up there in age as well.

My needs:

1. CB to replace McFadden and perhaps start thinking about Troy's eventual replacement.
2. Two new LBer's to groom to replace the aging Farrior and Harrison.
3. Fix the offensive line.
4. A trustworthy kicker that can kick at Heinz Field.
5. Dick LeBeau needs to start grooming his replacement. When the Eagles Jim Johnson died suddenly the Eagles defense suffered. Who knows how many more years LeBeau wants to work.

steelers2685
02-07-2011, 04:25 PM
What are the priorities the Steelers must pursue now that the offseason has begun?(after the resolution of the lockout, of course) I would think that Woodley is #1 priority followed by addressing their secondary. Considering we don't have a deep secondary is scary, considering Anthony Madison, William Gay, and Ryan Mundy are what we'd have to look forward to? I know the answer already, but would the Rooney's go after Asamghwe (spelling?)??? All we can do now is look forward rather than back at last night's debacle, so let the discussion begin.

steelers2685
02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
In terms of last night, I'd have changed the desire of this team. They did not seem fired up to me, neither coming out of the tunnel at the beginning nor after momentum was swinging our way in the third quarter. I'd have thought that Tomlin would have them fired up a bit more than they were.

I too say kicker, secondary, and Woodley. I think O-line can be addressed by a pick or two but remember how many of our guys went down this year with injury. Half the guys weren't even supposed to be starters.

TRH
02-07-2011, 04:35 PM
there's many....
1. addressing the secondary. Huge.
2. addressing the OL and going forward on who we have and who's coming back from injury.
3. i think privately Arians will be looked at. In this day and age, 14, 17 points is not going to win you games. We got lucky in some games. Ultimately, if i had to guess, i think he'll be back next year. We're a club whose ownership thrives on stability and we did make it to the SB. Wouldn't be a shocker to see him let go though either.
4. They'll franchise Woodley
5. decide what they're going to do with some of the older guys (Farrior, etc..)
6. figure out how we defend against short slants and middle routes. Its known to everyone at this point. You think this year was bad, wait until next (unless we get new personnel and change some schemes, etc)

those are a few immediates that will need to be discussed and dealt with, if they haven't begun already

TRH
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=steelers2685;918760]In terms of last night, I'd have changed the desire of this team. They did not seem fired up to me, neither coming out of the tunnel at the beginning nor after momentum was swinging our way in the third quarter. I'd have thought that Tomlin would have them fired up a bit more than they were.

i hear ya!!
it was like the NE game all over again. On the flip-side, if you were watching, Clay Mathews was FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED UP!
I really wish we would have come out like that. Our team seemed like "ya, this game, its no big deal...."

steelers2685
02-07-2011, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=steelers2685;918760]In terms of last night, I'd have changed the desire of this team. They did not seem fired up to me, neither coming out of the tunnel at the beginning nor after momentum was swinging our way in the third quarter. I'd have thought that Tomlin would have them fired up a bit more than they were.

i hear ya!!
it was like the NE game all over again. On the flip-side, if you were watching, Clay Mathews was FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED UP!
I really wish we would have come out like that. Our team seemed like "ya, this game, its no big deal...."

To me, seeing Ben come out at the half with his hat on backwards (although offense wasn't getting a ball) was a bit disappointing. These guys should have been coming out of that tunnel like they were going to war, fully geared up and ready to go. Didn't happen, and you hit the nail on the head, reminded me exactly of the NE game, we played from behind the whole time, came back at the end, but ultimately, turnovers killed us.

Anyone else notice that most of Ben's throws seemed high? Do you think he was favoring that knee at all?

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 09:26 PM
i would change the philosophy of letting our rookies rot on the bench on defense for so long. you will ONLY get better with real game experience so why not add in butler to our nickel/dime packages? it worked for our offense when we gave brown/sanders a chance. and it also worked for the packers.

Rotorhead
02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I know this may get alot of hate, but I am going to say it anyway:
What about trading Mendy for Nambdi . . . Now hear me out.
I dont think running game dropoff would be too bad from Mendy to Redman. Redman runs more downhill and Mendy better on the outside. Redman seems to have more fight when running and breaks tackles just as well as Mendy, only he doesnt do that stupid useless spin Mendy reverts too all to often. Mendy is faster I think and the reason he had all those big runs. Now, the upside to this idea is we get a HUGE upgrade in corner play (where we need the best upgrade). I guess I wouldnt be to upset if this were to happen (not that it even has a possibility, but just a thought).

pete74
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
no way i trade Mendy for someone that old. if he was 5 years younger or you said Revis i would trade in a second but not for a player who only has 3 years left

kirklandrules
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Bring in a true FB and tell Arians that if he doesn't learn to use that position, we'll let Fox give him an unnecessesary roughness move.

Finally, I would draft O-line and CB to prepare for the future. Then I'd tell some of the slackers who currently sit in those positions that they better produce or they are gone (eg: Hills, Lewis).

Trade Mendy? That guy was running great in the playoffs and the SB. He's going to be a huge asset next year and beyond. I like Redman, but skill wise, he's way down the food chain from Mendy it aint funny.

Rust454
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
1. Fire Arians

2. Let Woodley go (over-rated)

3. Sign Nnamdi Asomugha (I know, out of character. But, I think this team has another SB run left in them. Maybe he takes less money to be with a contender.)

Funny how BMac and Gay are getting all the flak...... Ryan Clark deserves just as much = his coverage stinks just as much.

TRH
02-09-2011, 04:40 PM
1. Fire Arians

3. Sign Nnamdi Asomugha (I know, out of character. But, I think this team has another SB run left in them. Maybe he takes less money to be with a contender.)

Funny how BMac and Gay are getting all the flak...... Ryan Clark deserves just as much = his coverage stinks just as much.

You must be out of your mind. There's seems to be some pipe-dreamers around that are thinking that the Asomugha's, the Woodley's are going to take less money "to be with the Steelers or a playoff team". Unless your talking like 100 bucks or something, FORGET IT. lol
Guys like this are all going to sign with likely the highest bidder. It's wishful thinking on fans parts because they want to keep the Woodley's of the world.
If its sky-high priced "free agents" or "trades", you can also forget. The Rooney's don't take part in that and they're certainly not going to start now.

I will agree with you that Woodley is expendable, but we're likely to franchise him.

Steelboy84
02-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Sign a consistent corner, get rid of William Gay.

If we can't get another OC, then Arians needs to get Ben more plays out of the pocket. I get so sick and tired of Arians having Ben drop back in the pocket every time he passes. He's not that type of QB. More rollouts. The boy had a 100 QB rating OUTSIDE of the pocket this year!

Fox has to go. That screw up in the SB is reason enough.

Tomlin has to gain more control over this team. He needs more discipline and better decision making. Trying that 52 yard FG was stupid. We had the momentum. Why not punt and pin them deep?

A new RB coach. Mendy has to learn what Tiki Barber did: HOLD THE BALL!

The receiving core was more solid than I expected this year, but a big receiver wouldn't hurt (I've given up on Sweed).

Tomlin making a few changes will mean another trip to the SB next year. Ben taking a lot of sacks and our CB play are our weaknesses. Other than that, we can make it to the SB next year. Our defense keeps us in every game.

Rust454
02-09-2011, 05:12 PM
i would change the philosophy of letting our rookies rot on the bench on defense for so long. you will ONLY get better with real game experience so why not add in butler to our nickel/dime packages? it worked for our offense when we gave brown/sanders a chance. and it also worked for the packers.

:applaudit:Outstanding point.

If McFadden and Gay are going to bet burned that bad, you might as well go with the youngsters. They might make mistakes, but thats how you learn.

Rust454
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Btw, I though Worilds showed some promise when permitted to play.

bornaSteelersfan
02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Bring in a true FB and tell Arians that if he doesn't learn to use that position, we'll let Fox give him an unnecessesary roughness move.

Finally, I would draft O-line and CB to prepare for the future. Then I'd tell some of the slackers who currently sit in those positions that they better produce or they are gone (eg: Hills, Lewis).

Trade Mendy? That guy was running great in the playoffs and the SB. He's going to be a huge asset next year and beyond. I like Redman, but skill wise, he's way down the food chain from Mendy it aint funny.

I agree that we need a fullback format. Franco Harris had Rocky Bleier; Barry Foster had Merril Hoge; and Jerome Bettis had Time Lester. Since we got Pouncy last draft, I would hope that we draft a FB early on to improve upon that. With that addition, there is no need to even consider getting rid of Mendenhall (who would say that?!). I also agree we definitely need some help at CB.

vasteeler
02-09-2011, 06:51 PM
i wouldnt change a damn thing. we have been to 3 superbowls in 6 years. i think ill trust the rooney's and mike tomlin in what ever they decide to do.

i swear some of you guys are insane:willy:

steeltheone
02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Get a replacement for Farrior. then cut him or Foote. 3.3 mil is too much money to ride the pine.
Cut Smith
Cut R. Clark

SH-Rock
02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Draft Jimmy Smith
Have Butler step up
Cut Fox and Lewis

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-09-2011, 08:20 PM
1) Cut Keenan Lewis, Barnett - they have done NOTHING and cannot even supplant WIlliam Gay or McFadden as starters. Lewis has already demonstrated several times that while he may have some physical talents, he is dumber than a stump (a.k.a. Anthony "Guarantee" Smith) and does not have a brain for football.

2) Re-sign Ike Taylor, Woodley

3) Gay and McFadden can compete for the Nickel/Dimeback spots-- and truth be told, I am not even sure I feel so confident about them even in that diminished role. Maybe Crezdon Butler can impress us this next year and take the Nickel or Dime back position?

4) Draft: CB, OG, DL, DL, DL, CB

OT: We should be good at OT, with Colon, Starks, the Hotel, and even Jonathan Scott/Tony Hills to compete for the starting positions. Because of all the injuries, we have a lot of position flexibility (Hotel can play RT/LT, Starks can play RT/LT.

OG: Adding Michael Pouncey at RG should give us a dominant offensive line (Starks/Hotel, Kemo, Pouncey, Pouncey, Hotel/Colon)

CB: We need a shutdown CB, that along with DL, should be our top priority. Hood is only going to get better, but the rest of our DL is in the twightlight of their careers, and we are getting near the point where if we don't draft their replacements NOW, they won't be ready when some of these guys go down for the last time in a year or two (keep in mind, it took Hood two seasons to pick up his position).

zsheik22
02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Give Gay 1 more year. He can blitz ok, but he cant cover for crap. He knows he's on thin ice, if he cant pick it up and do it this year... cut him. Fox needs cut, Kemo needs cut, Lewis needs cut, Arians needs to get gone.

Ike is a second corner at best, Troy is an absolutely amazing player but his injuries kill us, Clark has lost a step, Aaron Smith is also godsend but hurt too much as well. Kick coverage scares the living hell out of me.

Got a lot of work to do. The secondary worries me the most. The O line did what it needed to do, Ben just played bad and the play calling didnt do him any favors. I wonder how later we can get Pouncey2.

I've got a terrible feeling about next year, just really hope it's wrong.

kirklandrules
02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
OT: We should be good at OT, with Colon, Starks, the Hotel, and even Jonathan Scott/Tony Hills to compete for the starting positions. Because of all the injuries, we have a lot of position flexibility (Hotel can play RT/LT, Starks can play RT/LT.
Colon won't be back (injury will be too much to overcome), Hotel has 1 year left on his contract, Scott is a backup at best, Hills has done nothing. I think you need to draft a tackle of the future that Hotel can take under his wing next year and provide training.

OG: Adding Michael Pouncey at RG should give us a dominant offensive line (Starks/Hotel, Kemo, Pouncey, Pouncey, Hotel/Colon)
Michael Pouncey getting drafted by the Steelers makes a great storyline. But you never see these storylines pan out for Steelers fans.

CB: We need a shutdown CB, that along with DL, should be our top priority. Hood is only going to get better, but the rest of our DL is in the twightlight of their careers, and we are getting near the point where if we don't draft their replacements NOW, they won't be ready when some of these guys go down for the last time in a year or two (keep in mind, it took Hood two seasons to pick up his position).
If the Steelers want a shutdown corner, they will have to either get lucky or learn to not be so successful. You typically don't find shutdown corners drafting at 31 unless someone exceeds expectations.

I do agree that they need more young bodies on the D-line. I think McLendon is going to continue to improve and have heard good things about him over the course of this year. He just needs to gain a couple more pounds (as Keisel did).

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I think it's time to come away with a solid corner with our first pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. In past years, we've landed some KEY players to key positions in need of either depth or RIGHT NOW, NFL ready players.

2007: Lawrence Timmons- ILB
2008- Reshard Mendenhall- RB
2009- Ziggy Hood- DL
2010- Maurkice Pouncey- C

We got our stud inside linebacker for the future, our stud running back for the future, a defensive lineman to build around and an absolute ALL pro in Pouncey on our offensive line to build around. This trend needs to continue with our first round draft picks, this time going after a STUD corner in the first round to rebuild our secondary corpse.

We went linebacker CRAZY last season and picked up some solid wideouts to give us hope there. I expect the linebacking units to remain strong as well as adding another addition to the WR position, maybe the slot if need be. I also expect to get some deep offensive lineman mid-late draft as well.

Right now, the rotation I would be happy with as follows for our first 3 picks:

1. Corner
2. OL
3. WR
4-5: possibly a S or OL/DL.

TRH
02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I think it's time to come away with a solid corner with our first pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. In past years, we've landed some KEY players to key positions in need of either depth or RIGHT NOW, NFL ready players.

2007: Lawrence Timmons- ILB
2008- Reshard Mendenhall- RB
2009- Ziggy Hood- DL
2010- Maurkice Pouncey- C

We got our stud inside linebacker for the future, our stud running back for the future, a defensive lineman to build around and an absolute ALL pro in Pouncey on our offensive line to build around. This trend needs to continue with our first round draft picks, this time going after a STUD corner in the first round to rebuild our secondary corpse.

We went linebacker CRAZY last season and picked up some solid wideouts to give us hope there. I expect the linebacking units to remain strong as well as adding another addition to the WR position, maybe the slot if need be. I also expect to get some deep offensive lineman mid-late draft as well.

1. Corner
2. OL
3. WR

i don't see why this couldnt' be a possibility at least. I can't imagine we'll use our 1st pick for anything but a DB

MDSteel15
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
1. Fire Arians

You sir, are certifiable! :doh:

thumper
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
release GAY!!!!!!!!

Gay was forced to play out of position (wide) - he just isn't
very good at playing outside but he is fine at defending the slot.
Worth keeping

thumper
02-10-2011, 03:47 PM

1. Corner
2. OL
3. WR

Pretty much how I feel as well. If the best O-lineman is considered
better than best CB on the board at 1, then I'd be fine switching
those picks. Bottom line, the first two picks should be keepers
at OL and CB. We need them to be. At 3, BPA would be fine with
me, excluding LB, QB and RB. If they want OL, DB again I would
be OK b/c I think both units could use 2 picks if they were the
best players at the time. Could also go DL at 3. Grabbing a safety
at some point would be wise - it's not as if we have SHIT after
25 and 43 back there. And they are getting older.

kirklandrules
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Gay was forced to play out of position (wide) - he just isn't
very good at playing outside but he is fine at defending the slot.
Worth keeping

Don't confuse the level of competition with the position on the field. Covering a guy wide is actually easier than covering in the slot because you have the slideline working in your favor. The reason he's better in the slot is because he's no longer covering the opponents top 2 WRs ... as the nickleback, he's usually covering the 3rd WR.

bubbletownwr88
02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
1. Cut Gay, McFadden, Fox
2. Get a safety so ryan clark can stop getting beat
3. I don't care what the hell it takes get Raiders Cb we are desperate
4. Draft a Tall Receiver in the later rounds to go get the ball (all steelers receivers are shorter than 6'1)
5. Put Kemoetu in school he needs to learn when the plays over
6. Resign LaMarr Woodley
7. Draft a MLB for the future Farrior's done in two years.
8. WIN NUMBER 7!!!!

steeltheone
02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
4. Draft a Tall Receiver in the later rounds to go get the ball (all steelers receivers are shorter than 6'1)
5. Put Kemoetu in school he needs to learn when the plays over
6. Resign LaMarr Woodley
8. WIN NUMBER 7!!!!

Farriors done in two years? Have you seen him in coverage? If we ride him this year we are asking for trouble.

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
bubbletownwr88;920333 said:

Gay I don't think will be going ANYWHERE. As bad as he is targeted one on one at most times, he was victim of Rodgers putting the football at pin-point accuracy. He was in position on that T.D ball so that play shouldn't overshadow his rule in the Dime/Nickel, where is excelled at this year. I'd blitz him more often, he was great off the edge with speed so he IS valuable with upside in depth. McFadden might be on his last legs as a starter and Fox is CERTAINLY a goner. No need for him now.

I agree to a certain extent. Clark did a great job and fits the defense in what we ask him to do. Don't get beat deep and come up in the box and hit hard, very hard. With that said, we NEED to groom another safety, we virtually have NOTHING behind Clark OR Troy and that's a concern since Mundy hasn't really taken any steps.

I don't even know what this means.

This obsession with tall WR's needs to go. We got most of our men to groom for the next several years. If you're looking for a big target, how about starting with Limas Sweed? The man deserved another chance and could be big. If not, then we go out and get another "tall" wideout. Personally, I'd like to see a worthy slot man who can get the job done with our underneaths and then turn it into positive yardage.

6. Resign LaMarr Woodley

He'll get his payday he deserves and it WILL be with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

We got linebacker hybrids that can man the middle linebacker position. How long will Farrior hold up is the question. I fully expect teams to spread us out more often than not now and that's where Farrior's game fails him. Farrior is solid, but this may be his last season.

Winning #7 will be VERY high on our checklist! Here we go!

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I have high hopes for Sly. He will one day replace Farrior.

Farrior_roirraW
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Yeah, I thought this was the plan...? I think Farrior has one year left and that's it, let Sly get another year under his belt learning Lebeau's defense and then let 'im loose.

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I thought this was the plan...? I think Farrior has one year left and that's it, let Sly get another year under his belt learning Lebeau's defense and then let 'im loose.

He's probably going to get a lot more reps next year and what we've already seen, I'm really excited.

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Agreed! This dude was an absolute MANIAC in pre-season! Loved his upside. Sure it was pre-season but the man PLAYED like a STEELER through and through. Was aggressive, ALWAYS around the ball and had a great motor. I can't wait to see him blossom.

ZoneBlitzer
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
I would change the philosophy that style points do matter because when you're stinking the joint out with numerous turnovers all throughout the post-season it does matter.

That's the sort of "style' you don't want to aspire to. And as a "style" it stinks. If I'm Tomlin, I junk that phrase in the bin. It helped the club to a point. But now it appears as if it is their little crutch to lean in that it says that it's ok if things go wrong and look like crap along the way. They won ugly all year long for the most part. That ugly style finally caught up to them and that is not winning football.

Kanata-Steeler
02-11-2011, 04:01 AM
We need to add more "commitment" to the RUN, and not these suicidal ARIENS<->BEN inconsistent, and predictable passing plays that on a 50/50 basis amount only to disaster's.
I'm sick of the Steeler's Defense having to constantly mop up after Ben (Ariens) and the Offense.
Ariens is too SOFT n stoopid on our O-Line ! -Ariens has gotta go, but where can we find our perfect O-Coordinator ? -that'll be the real deal.

SeinfeldNut
02-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Need to cut those WR screens out of the playbook, we have the WRs to stretch the field and make a number of catches. I agree also with #'s 2, 6-8