PDA

View Full Version : Bad hair day for Polamalu

mesaSteeler
02-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Bad hair day for Polamalu
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/07/bad-hair-day-for-polamalu.html
By: John Perrotto
Beaver County Times

Monday February 7, 2011 12:22 AM

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Green Bay Packers’ hope was that they could keep Troy Polamalu from being a factor in Super Bowl XLV.

They accomplished that objective on their way to a 31-25 victory over the Steelers on Sunday night at Cowboys Stadium.

Polamalu, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, made just three solo tackles. The first didn’t come until the waning moments of the third quarter when he ran wide receiver Jordy Nelson out of bounds following a 37-yard gain.

“When you spread out the offense the way they do, you’re able to put somebody on one side of the field and just work the opposite side of the field,” Polamalu said.

The Packers did so throughout the game, usually employing offensive sets featuring four and five wide receivers and staying away from the middle of the field and Polamalu, the strong safety.
Advertisement Click Here

“I had some opportunities but I was off a step here and there,” Polamalu said.

That was the case on both touchdown catches by wideout Greg Jennings from quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

When Jennings hauled in a 21-yarder with 2:24 left in the second quarter to give the Packers a 21-3 lead, Polamalu slammed into him in the middle of the field at the goal just a hair late. Jennings then beat Polamalu to the right corner of the end zone for an 8-yard score with 11:57 remaining that pushed the Packers lead to 28-17 after the Steelers had sliced a 21-3 deficit to 21-17.

Rodgers, the game’s Most Valuable Player, also made outstanding passes on both scores. In all, he completed 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards and three touchdowns.

“He put the balls in some tight places and he made some really good throws,” Polamalu said.

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 01:24 AM
I can't recall Polamalu making any plays in the playoffs.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 01:27 AM
I can't recall Polamalu making any plays in the playoffs.

The Achilles injury never healed.

steelcity1974
02-07-2011, 05:18 AM
The Achilles injury never healed.

Weak excuse. He's been out there running hard and throwing his body into plays...mostly after it's too late. His instincts have been off...has nothing to do with the injury.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Yeah, his injury has limited him, but teams took advantage of his instincts, if that makes any sense. Polamalu's success is largely due to his inane ability to anticipate plays, and teams ran the same one multiple times, only to switch it out late in the game and have him completely fall for the fake.

Basically what happened today with Jennings' second TD.

Still, the Achilles injury never fully healed, and Troy is extremely humble and never takes praise. He will always say he made mistakes, so don't really take everything he says for granted. He was still an importance presence for us, and the plays he made are not the kind you measure on statbooks.

He took out TE's, deep routes, and other things. And for that, he's invaluable to us.

pete74
02-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Troy hasnt played very well since the playoffs started. he just hasnt been himself

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Weak excuse. He's been out there running hard and throwing his body into plays...mostly after it's too late. His instincts have been off...has nothing to do with the injury.

I'm pretty sure that's why Lebeau has not used him in any fancy blitz packages.

SouthTexasSteel
02-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Being the proud owner of an achillies injury while in the military I can tell you that it WAS a factor in the playoffs. It's the kind of injury you can't even discribe. And it's an injury that he may never fully recover from for a player playing his style of football and his position. It's also time we start facing that possibility. With that being said, him playing through that injury give me a whole new respect for Troy.

pete74
02-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Being the proud owner of an achillies injury while in the military I can tell you that it WAS a factor in the playoffs. It's the kind of injury you can't even discribe. And it's an injury that he may never fully recover from for a player playing his style of football and his position. It's also time we start facing that possibility. With that being said, him playing through that injury give me a whole new respect for Troy.

you have no clue what was wrong with him? thats like saying all headaches are exactly the same. for all you know he was 100%. he didnt have a great game but he was able to fly around on the field and jump so im sure it wasnt bothering him to much

Steelers17
02-07-2011, 09:12 AM

100% agreed as the equally proud owner of bilateral partial tears. One never fully recovers from Achillies damage!

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Im sure the injury has a hand in this. But for 3 playoff games he has spun around like a top back there. Jenings corner catch troy was caught spinning there as well.

1 guy didn;t lose this, but the pass defence was horrible. Just think if those 5 balls weren;t dropped by the packer wr's.

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Im sure the injury has a hand in this. But for 3 playoff games he has spun around like a top back there. Jenings corner catch troy was caught spinning there as well.

1 guy didn;t lose this, but the pass defence was horrible. Just think if those 5 balls weren;t dropped by the packer wr's.

then Rogers approaches 475 or more yards passing.

He was good enough to go....Playing him 25 yards off the line of scrimmage has been a big huge FAIL...so lets keep doing it?? I don't know..something definitely wasn't right.
Hard to defend against the pass when your entire secondary consists of Ike Taylor.

dpiedra
02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Troy was able to do more on his 1.5 legs than many other in the secondary. That being the case he was in no condition to carry the team and unfortunately, neither the offense or others in the defense made the big play when we needed it.

NCBlackWolf
02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
then Rogers approaches 475 or more yards passing.

He was good enough to go....Playing him 25 yards off the line of scrimmage has been a big huge FAIL...so lets keep doing it?? I don't know..something definitely wasn't right.
Hard to defend against the pass when your entire secondary consists of Ike Taylor.

Ike has played HUGE the whole playoffs.

Feel for him.

Steelrule
02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I like Troy, a lot. But he has been invisible or had limited impact in all three SB appearances.

TRH
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
wonder how long before the media takes out after him as a "choker" (a la Barry Bonds) who can't get it done in the big meaningful games.
Only thing going for him is his great, quiet personality. Thats saving him a little bit from the media wolves.

rcoplien
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
We needed some big plays and he was totally not involved at all. WTH happened.

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
He guessed too much...and guessed wrong.

Buddha Bus
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I still think that Achilles injury was nagging him the entire post season. He didn't look right for the last 4 games. I still love him though. He'll bounce back next year and be the animal we all know and love! :tt04:

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I still think that Achilles injury was nagging him the entire post season. He didn't look right for the last 4 games. I still love him though. He'll bounce back next year and be the animal we all know and love! :tt04:

Absolutely agree.

He looked good up until the Ravens game and then after that he just fell off the map. In the Jet game and the SB, he wasn't anywhere near his usual form and he was only involved in maybe two or three flat-out blitzes in BOTH games.

I think his straight-line speed was OK, but he couldn't turn or twist like he's used to doing and that made him very ordinary.

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
neither did james harrison. "the beard' was mysteriously absent as well. did keisel shave before the game?

Buddha Bus
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
neither did james harrison. "the beard' was mysteriously absent as well. did keisel shave before the game?

If he did, then a mangy beaver must have crawled up on his chin and died on his way out of the tunnel! :chuckle:

TRH
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
it also doesn't help playing him 30 yards from the line of scrimmage. Ridiculous.

TRH
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM

i was watching closely, and some of our big bad dudes were getting MAN-handled by their OL. We need some of that over here on our side.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
He looked good up until the Ravens game and then after that he just fell off the map. In the Jet game and the SB, he wasn't anywhere near his usual form and he was only involved in maybe two or three flat-out blitzes in BOTH games.

He apparently strained his achilles tendon in the New England debacle (same game in which Roethlisberger messed up his foot), nursed it through limited practices, then further aggravated it in the second Cincinnati game (the week after he made teh season turning strip of Flacco) on his pick six of Palmer and second INT in that game when he had to lateral the ball because he could not run - Steelers shut him down for the next 2 games and he looked OK when he leaped the line to go after McCoy in the Cleveland game, but something wasn't right all through the playoffs (2 tackles in the Ravens game & missing several others/4 tackles-1 assist in the Jets game/3 tackles and some bad plays in pass coverage yesterday)

Troy is not a big guy and its looks like his body is simply breaking down

I would blame the notorious Heinz turf but the body count was higher on that rotten artificial turf yesterday

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
i was watching closely, and some of our big bad dudes were getting MAN-handled by their OL. We need some of that over here on our side.

Including Woodley getting tackled on a 3rd and 1 play early in the game in which Aikman could not believe holding isn't called

I read before the game that the Steelers 3-4 would not be quite as treacherous for the Packers since they run the same defense and that maight be one resons for how well the blitzes were blocked

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I read before the game that the Steelers 3-4 would not be quite as treacherous for the Packers since they run the same defense and that maight be one resons for how well the blitzes were blocked

Meh, the Jets and Ravens also use the 3-4, so I wouldn't read too much into that. It was more of just a failure to execute...if anything.

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Including Woodley getting tackled on a 3rd and 1 play early in the game in which Aikman could not believe holding isn't called

I think it was Timmons. I couldn't believe it either, but it was the only noncall of the night so I can live with it. :chuckle:

fordfan485
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM

The "beard" was too busy updating his twitter from the sideline during the game. keiselsbeard is his twitter name.

xli...
02-08-2011, 01:10 AM
wonder how long before the media takes out after him as a "choker" (a la Barry Bonds) who can't get it done in the big meaningful games.
Only thing going for him is his great, quiet personality. Thats saving him a little bit from the media wolves.

That and he has two NFL Championships.

And doesn't have a huge head from doing roids.