PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Blame line forms behind Ben

mesaSteeler
02-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Bires: Blame line forms behind Ben
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/07/bires-blame-line-forms-behind-ben.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday February 7, 2011 12:20 AM

ARLINGTON, Texas — It was a sad sight in the Steelers’ locker room, and no one was sadder than Ben Roethlisberger.

He single-handedly took blame after the Steelers’ “Highway to Seven” drive stalled out.

For all the great things he’s done on the football this season, it all fell apart for him Sunday night in Super Bowl XLV.

Roethlisberger’s season started with him sitting out a four-game suspension. It ended with a sorry performance against the Green Bay Packers

“I feel like I let a lot of people down,” he said after the Steelers’ 31-25 loss. “I don’t put blame on anybody but myself. I let down the city of Pittsburgh, our fans and my teammates. It’s not a good feeling.”

It’s noble that Roethlisberger took all the blame. That’s not quite true, of course. There were others to blame, too. Rashard Mendenhall lost a costly fumble in the fourth quarter. The Steelers’ secondary got scorched by Aaron Rodgers to the tune of 303 yards and three touchdowns

Nonetheless, most disappointing of all was Roethlisberger’s performance.

As great as he was in Super Bowl XLIII when he completed 21 of 30 passes including the perfect game-winner to Santonio Holmes, he was that bad against the Packers.

Roethlisberger served up two interceptions in the first half.
Advertisement Click Here

Nick Collins returned the first of those picks for a 37-yard touchdown in the first quarter. It was a poor, under-thrown pass that Collins intercepted with ease.

How important was that pick?

In the 45-year Super Bowl era, there have been 13 passes returned for interceptions. Team that returned them are now 11-0.

And four plays after the second Roethlisberger interception, another bad throw in the second quarter, the Packers scored again.

“You can’t put it on all on Ben,” linebacker James Farrior said. “Those interceptions came early. We still had time to pull it out.”

Near the end, the Steelers had one more chance. They got the ball back on their own 13-yard line with 1:59 left. But all Roethlisberger could do was get one first down. On the Steelers’ final three offensive plays of the season — on second-and-5, third-and-5 fourth-and-5 — Roethlisberger threw incomplete.

“When we got in the huddle (for that last possession), I told the guys, ‘I believe in you guys. We can do this,’” Roethlisberger said.

But the Steelers didn’t.

At the very end, Roethlisberger couldn’t dig out of the hole he dug for himself.

caseydog
02-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Ben sucked tonight. So, now what. He has to decide wether this is who he is, or wether he is going to buckle down and avenge this loss. Ben has had a charmed career, in many way, up until now. He has always been able to play good one week and bad the next, and get away with it. Now, he's got to decide if he wants to be one of the elite quarterbacks that plays good every week, every play.

He has always managed to play "just well enough" to win games. It is time for him to either take it to the next level, or step aside an let someone else do it.

Aaron Rogers ate Ben's lunch tonight. Not because Rogers has more talent, but because Rogers is more professional than Ben. Hopefully, Ben learned something from this loss.

The motorcycle wreck, the sexual assault accusations -- they are part of Ben's personality. He plays fast and loose in life, and in football.

All that talent, and no self discipline.

This is no knee-jerk reaction to tonight's loss. I have been both big a fan and a big critic of Ben for a long time. And, this year, I have been watching him play like chit, and then miraculously pull out a win, and think, this can't go on forever.

Ben has soooooo much talent. He just needs to f---ing grow up, and take his profession seriously. He is better than Brady, and Manning, and WAY better than Rogers. But they execute day in and day out, better than Ben does. Ben needs to learn how to pick apart a defense the way Brady does -- the way Rogers picked apart our defense tonight.

Ben has got to stop digging himself into a hole, and count on his talent to get out of that hole.

Ben is just too talented to play that game.

CD

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 01:53 AM
He has always managed to play "just well enough" to win games. It is time for him to either take it to the next level, or step aside an let someone else do it.

Aaron Rogers ate Ben's lunch tonight. Not because Rogers has more talent, but because Rogers is more professional than Ben. Hopefully, Ben learned something from this loss.

The motorcycle wreck, the sexual assault accusations -- they are part of Ben's personality. He plays fast and loose in life, and in football.

This is no knee-jerk reaction to tonight's loss. I have been both big a fan and a big critic of Ben for a long time. And, this year, I have been watching him play like chit, and then miraculously pull out a win, and think, this can't go on forever.

Ben has soooooo much talent. He just needs to f---ing grow up, and take his profession seriously. He is better than Brady, and Manning, and WAY better than Rogers. But they execute day in and day out, better than Ben does. Ben needs to learn how to pick apart a defense the way Brady does -- the way Rogers picked apart our defense tonight.

Ben has got to stop digging himself into a hole, and count on his talent to get out of that hole.

CD

I agree. This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I couldn't have said it better.

Sixburgher
02-07-2011, 01:59 AM

Like whom? Leftwich? Dixon?

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 02:01 AM
F.uck that. I'm not blaming Ben.

Offense, defense and special teams just did not execute. The Packers did. Ballgame.

NoShootouts
02-07-2011, 02:05 AM
with the oline in shambles its amazing how far we make it

the blame is on every player and every coach including Ben but not only Ben

but seriously

Scott Kemouatu Legursky Foster Adams

we were lucky to be there tonight

I do agree it is now man up time for Ben

The Curtain's Crusader
02-07-2011, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;917802]Bires: Blame line forms behind Ben
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2011/february/07/bires-blame-line-forms-behind-ben.html
Nick Collins returned the first of those picks for a 37-yard touchdown in the first quarter. It was a poor, under-thrown pass that Collins intercepted with ease.
QUOTE]

I know it's the Beaver County Times, but did this guy even watch the game. Ben's arm clearly got hit which caused the pass to be so far off. Not just a "poor, underthrown pass." Second pick looked just as much as a great play by the defender as it did a poor pass. IMO

harts
02-07-2011, 02:11 AM
agreed
this loss is Ben's fault
I kept screaming and hoping that Troy would bail them out but it didnt happen
Ben didn't start playing until we were down 14-0

Is Ben better than Rodgers?
No
Rodgers is a consistent Highly Accurate QB he is as close to an A+ as you can get
When he gets some WR's to hold onto the ball he is really gonna be great

Ben just needs to play at his b+ - A- level at all times - and not just not when he is behind

if he would have done that we are celebrating #7 with #7 tonight

Mr. Goosemahn
02-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Ben sucked tonight. So, now what. He has to decide wether this is who he is, or wether he is going to buckle down and avenge this loss. Ben has had a charmed career, in many way, up until now. He has always been able to play good one week and bad the next, and get away with it. Now, he's got to decide if he wants to be one of the elite quarterbacks that plays good every week, every play.

CD

What? Ben can definitely pick apart a defense, it's just that some defenses are harder to pick apart than others. Was he on his game today? No. But Ben is definitely an elite quarterback and he most certainly did not play like chit this year.

He put his college-mentality behind him already. It's what he did during the entire year. Roethlisberger finally grew up. It's the first time he works with a QB coach in the off-season, the first time he came into camp in more-than-decent shape, the first time he took a genuine interest in the rookies, and the first time he truly appeared to be in control of the games in which he played in.

His TD-INT ratio of 17-5 was very impressive; in fact, the only QB who started more than 10 games and threw less INT's was Brady.

And don't believe for one second that our O-line has miraculously improved, because sadly, is hasn't. Today's success in the running game happened because 1. Green Bay used nickel and dime sets where there were two, not three, defensive linemen and 2. because Mendenhall, Moore, and Redman all managed to bounce runs to the outside. Take a look at the highlights again and see how many runs got stuffed in the middle, only to have the runner re-establish themselves and run outside. Those running lanes need to be open in the middle.

Overall, today was a pretty disappointing day for Ben, because I truly believe it was the first time in quite a while that he actually did try and work hard to win, and ultimately failed. Call it divine justice for his past actions, he just wasn't really Ben today. He missed the deep ball to Wallace, he was off on other throws, etc, etc, etc.

Keep in mind that his is a guy who is playing with a busted nose (never had it surgically repaired, technically it's still fractured, hasn't started to heal properly yet, which is why he wears the visor), an injured ankle, and dinged up his knee today. He truly is, as Hines said it, a warrior.

That aside, he also made some very poor decisions today. The first interception was all on Kemo, look at the tape. Roethlisberger went on his five step drop and Kemo just got pushed back into Roethlisberger, who still managed to get the throw out but with significantly less strength and accuracy. Wallace had already beaten his man, so it wasn't a bad decision. Again, our O-line still needs improvements.

The second INT was a bad call on Ben's part. Tried to sneak it in, but there was a tiny window and sadly, he didn't hit it.

Ben is an elite QB, period. His skills are definitely not the same as Manning or Brady's, but they're useful nonetheless. Ben was jittery today, angsty, and overall, just not on his right mind. But make no mistake, Ben is the only reason we were in today's game. He's the reason we have a chance to win every single game we play in, and it's the reason we're constantly going to be a good team in the league for the next couple of years.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I'd rather take reckless Ben and win two titles than humbled one and play like last night. He needs to go back to wearing gloves, looked more cooler too.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:15 AM
F.uck that. I'm not blaming Ben.

Offense, defense and special teams just did not execute. The Packers did. Ballgame.

I agree with you. As bad as our offense was, our defense was twice as bad.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
How many nice kick returns did we have that were called back on penalties?

Did the defense hold the Packers to FG's on the short fields after the TO's?

Did our defense cause any TO's of our own?

Did we recover that fumble in the 1st quarter after our first punt?

Ben didn't play great. But he's a great player. There is plenty of blame to go all around, singling out Ben is unfair.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Ben didn't play great. But he's a great player. There is plenty of blame to go all around, singling out Ben is unfair.

absolutely true. At least our offense put up 25. I was much less impressed with our D. No turnovers caused and after we turned the ball over, they couldn't stop them. No one's saying that though. Very disappointed with your D last night.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2011, 08:54 AM
wow

Ben needs to buckle up, man up, find out who he is? Seriously? I'll take the 2010 season, with Ben for 16 reg season games, still over anyone else. The dude gives it his all, takes the blame, and doesnt want the glory.

Wow you might think he is Trent Dilfer or Matt Stafford

Any other complaints?

How many play actions did we do? I'mnot sure if we did one.
The Steelers are so intent on making Ben a pocket passer he didnt roll out much at all.

Losing sanders wasnt an issue and EL came up just fine.

Oline played great, probably to great because we need Ben rolling out. Ben didn;t played great, but Ben played like Ben does at times and those games we tend to win. Mainly because the def doesnt get up 35. Granted 7 came fromt he int, and 14 more from good field position. But they didn't stop the pass game from the packers.

Secondary sucks, Troy should be mann'ing up and saying, No Ben I let the the team down. Gay back to his usual self, mcfadden sucks. The secondary needs to be upgraded huge. We let a team that we knew was not going to run on us, and we knew it was going to be pass pass pass and 4 or 5 wide. We knew their game plan. Still couldnt stop them.
Rodgers was hit almost 50% of the time, and although we had them rattled we fell short when it was time to really take him out.

Our D-line played great with the front 5. After that, the GB WR's were pointing to rodgers before the snap where they were going to run. Nelson pointed across the filed and they just let him roam right to the stop.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:56 AM
i thought they had him staying in the pocket too much also. Roll him out.
I also disagree with the ridiculously long snap counts. We take it down to the 1 second mark almost exclusively, giving the defense that extra precious seconds to read us and plan their attack.

Bad game calling from Arians.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 08:59 AM
i thought they had him staying in the pocket too much also. Roll him out.
I also disagree with the ridiculously long snap counts. We take it down to the 1 second mark almost exclusively, giving the defense that extra precious seconds to read us and plan their attack.

Bad game calling from Arians.

I'm with on that clock management, I was yelling at the tv during our last TD drive that we needed to leave some damn time on the clock if we wanted a prayer.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Other players on the team could have done more to make up for his mistakes, this is true.

Using this logic, no game is ever any one single player's fault. I beleive this to be the case.

But in every game, some people deserve more blame than others. As far as I'm concerned, Ben bears most of it in this game.

vasteeler
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
most of you guys get it others ( caseydog)....:doh:

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Other players on the team could have done more to make up for his mistakes, this is true.

Using this logic, no game is ever any one single player's fault. I beleive this to be the case.

But in every game, some people deserve more blame than others. As far as I'm concerned, Ben bears most of it in this game.

Using your logic, Ben could have done more to make up for other people's mistakes, but did not. But for some reason everyone else gets a pass and Ben gets to hang. No fair.

tube517
02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah, Ben is reckless and undisciplined, yet he has 2 rings. Peyton's Place is the greatest ever and what does he have? F that. Ben is the QB of this football team. He's not Neil O'Donnell. If he has a good OL, they give him protection and that INT doesn't happen. Sure, he had a bad game and there were misfires. Damn if he didn't give up and we still were in a position to drive and win. We can't rely on him to do that every single time.

KordellO'Donnell
02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
SO what was the deal with Ben out drinkin and singin last week? TMZ had him at a piano bar? WTF?

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
SO what was the deal with Ben out drinkin and singin last week? TMZ had him at a piano bar? WTF?

:doh:

TOOLofSTEEL
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
QUOTE]

I know it's the Beaver County Times, but did this guy even watch the game. Ben's arm clearly got hit which caused the pass to be so far off. Not just a "poor, underthrown pass." Second pick looked just as much as a great play by the defender as it did a poor pass. IMO

Same thing I took away from watching the game. Nothing Ben could have done about those plays really. Fact of the matter is we got outplayed. Period.

Wasn't that we didn't show up, or the refs screwed us, or the coaches did whatever... We got outplayed. Green Bay came and played better than we did and came out on top in the end.

We could play that game 10times and you'd split it down the middle. W/L

zulater
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
QUOTE]

Personally I think it was a poor play call. Throwing deep from the end zone is risky as hell, and when Kemo got beat clean at the snap and his guy was in on Ben in a nanosecond Ben had no choice but to throw the ball. If he holds the ball and takes a sack it's a safety, and if he throws the ball indiscriminatley away it's intentional grounding, also a safety, so he had no choice but to go with the first option on the play, and as you've pointed out, being as he was hit as he released the ball, the ball fell short of it's mark and into harms way.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Using your logic, Ben could have done more to make up for other people's mistakes, but did not. But for some reason everyone else gets a pass and Ben gets to hang. No fair.

Just out of curiousity, what were you saying about Neil O'Donnell after SB XXX?

Ben had by far the worst game on the Steelers. He hurt the team more than anybody else. Fox had a dumb penalty, it cost them 30 some yards on the final drive. Sure, that could have made a difference.

Still, not one player cost the team as much as Ben did.

The rest of the team, including the coaching staff, deserves some blame. I'm not arguing that.

I'm not saying everybody else gets a pass. In fact, I think the Ben apologists are the only people giving out passes.

figg
02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
No doubt Ben missed on a bunch of throws but he isnt the only reason the Steelers lost. IMO Ben put way too much pressure on himself trying to make up for his offseason. BTW way you can put the same amount of blame on Polamalu. He gave up 2 td's.

tube517
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't think Ben "apologists" are giving a free pass. The 2nd pick was clearly a bad pass. AND, he misfired alot. But, the defense had 0 TO's.... We don't win unless they get some. GB's defense got the TO's when necessary. Their defense wasn't stopping Ben in the 2nd half. But, they are the champs and did their jobs.

Ben had by far the worst game on the Steelers. He hurt the team more than anybody else. Fox had a dumb penalty, it cost them 30 some yards on the final drive. Sure, that could have made a difference.

The rest of the team, including the coaching staff, deserves some blame. I'm not arguing that.

I'm not saying everybody else gets a pass. In fact, I think the Ben apologists are the only people giving out passes.

HAWK
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Jesus people, this was a team loss. I'm no Ben apologist, but Ben did lead three scoring drives that brought us within 3 points. and if we hadn't missed that FG we would have been tied. Allot of mistakes yes, but not all on Ben.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't think Ben "apologists" are giving a free pass. The 2nd pick was clearly a bad pass. AND, he misfired alot. But, the defense had 0 TO's.... We don't win unless they get some. GB's defense got the TO's when necessary. Their defense wasn't stopping Ben in the 2nd half. But, they are the champs and did their jobs.

What were you saying The Steeler's team/O'Donnell after SB XXX?

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 02:45 PM

O'Donnell threw 2 picks when neither pass had a Steeler receiver within 10 yards of the ball. Ben threw a pick 6 in which his arms got his as he passed, causing the ball to fall short, and another one that was a questionable pass but the DB made a great play on. We also scored 8 more points in this loss than in SB XXX.

Oh, and the thing with O'Donnell is - we never won 2 rings with him under center, either.

btaylor179
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
i blame o line more than ben

zulater
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Polamalu was worse than Ben, not just yesterday, but throughout the playoffs. But I wouldn't trade either of them all the same.