PDA

View Full Version : Ok we don't need mike pouncey.

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Our O-line did a great job tonight. Our defensive secondary shit the bed. that is all

also 3 turnovers don't win you the game against anybody, i don't care if you're playing in the pop warner leagues.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Our O-line did a great job tonight. Our defensive secondary shit the bed. that is all

also 3 turnovers don't win you the game against anybody, i don't care if you're playing in the pop warner leagues.

Sadly, I still think we do. Today's success was based more on the fact that Heath and the RB were constantly chipping in with help on blocks, and that GB didn't always use 3 defensive lineman fronts, using 2 for many plays.

I think people still overrate our O-line. Starks and Colon are above-average tackles, and Pouncey is a stud, no question about it. Kemo is mediocre at best, people overrate him based solely on his ability to pull to the right. Take that play out of the playbook and he's pretty average, if not below-average. The first INT was his fault, look at how he got pushed back into the pocket. For a 340 lbs. who supposedly is one of the strongest players on our team, it sure doesn't look like it. And Ramon Foster is still improving, but he doesn't have a high ceiling. I like him as a backup, nothing more.

If I were Kevin Colbert, I'd take a look at this loss and see why an infusion of talent via free agency is definitely necessary.

If it were up to me, I'd do this:

For starters, I'd have to accept that having a competent offensive line means I'm going to have to spend money, period. These players are paid at a premium because they are worth it. Without them, the success of the offensive unit as a whole is compromised, as we have very often witnessed.

With that in mind, I'd sign two Baltimore Ravens, OT Jared Gaither and OG Marshal Yanda.

Gaither is one of the better left tackles in this league, a monster of a man who is still very young and is good in both pass-protection and run-blocking. Yanda is a Pro-Bowl guard, make no mistake about it, he just doesn't get the recognition because he spends so much time playing tackle (has position versatility!) due to injuries. He plays with a nasty demeanor and is tough as nails. There's a story going around about him getting tased and not even flinching, I think it's on Youtube.

With those two guys locked down, the offensive line would look like this:

Gaither - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Yanda - Colon

I still see one hole in that line, and it's Kemo. Now, here are two different options. Trade a first and a third to the Saints for Carl Nicks or draft Mike Pouncey. Personally, I'd prefer Nicks, even with the high price. Nicks is a 25 year old 6'5, 340 lbs. guard who can do it all, and is already one of the five best guards in the league. Has great movement and light feet for a guy his size, and is ridiculously strong (I can't state enough how strong he truly is). My logic is that if Mike Pouncey, or Marcus Cannon, or whoever else for that matter, ultimately wind up becoming great players in the future, they will play at Nicks' level, so why not go for the sure and immediate thing right from the get go?

That would leave the line looking like this:

Gaither - Nicks - Pouncey - Yanda - Colon

Believe it or not, that interior offensive line would be one of the best units in the entire league. Gaither is a borderline franchise tackle, meaning you can definitely move forward with him in your long term plans. Colon is a solid right tackle who'll play better with these guys on their side, and whom I can most definitely live with.

Second round pick is invested in a CB, and voila, the two biggest needs in our team are not only filled, but filled with quality players.

But unfortunately, I don't run the Steelers, and I'm pretty sure their frugality will once again prevail this off-season. Not that I have anything against it, it's a successful formula that has been proven many times, but it would be pretty amazing to see how dominant this team could be if we added free agents.

pete74
02-07-2011, 05:48 AM
i think a corner is far more important to us then a guard. we were exposed all year by good QB's and next year will be worse if we dont change. McFadden would be a good nickel corner but he's just not good enough to start. Gay has good moments but the bad outweigh the good and its time for him to go.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Green Bay's plan wasn't to bring pressure. It was to keep a pocket so Ben doesn't run out.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Saints ain't parting with Nicks. No way no how.

I like the Gaither idea though....I still say we need Pouncey and have the brothers on the line.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Legursky may have been our best player last night. The line will be OK i think with Pouncey back, Starks and Colon all added.

Its all about secondary, secondary, secondary.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2011, 08:59 AM
We have age and cost growing on the oline. Regardless of what occurred last night.

Adams is up there, Kemo, sorry I just dont like him, hot head and always has key penalties at the worst time.

We have 2 high end guys in starks and colon.

I do agree I'm now not 100% sold on oline in 1st round, because our secondary has glaring holes in it, and free agency at hand. some times a big loss like last night, might cause a FA's to want to leave.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Sadly, I still think we do. Today's success was based more on the fact that Heath and the RB were constantly chipping in with help on blocks, and that GB didn't always use 3 defensive lineman fronts, using 2 for many plays.

I think people still overrate our O-line. Starks and Colon are above-average tackles, and Pouncey is a stud, no question about it. Kemo is mediocre at best, people overrate him based solely on his ability to pull to the right. Take that play out of the playbook and he's pretty average, if not below-average. The first INT was his fault, look at how he got pushed back into the pocket. For a 340 lbs. who supposedly is one of the strongest players on our team, it sure doesn't look like it. And Ramon Foster is still improving, but he doesn't have a high ceiling. I like him as a backup, nothing more.

If I were Kevin Colbert, I'd take a look at this loss and see why an infusion of talent via free agency is definitely necessary.

If it were up to me, I'd do this:

For starters, I'd have to accept that having a competent offensive line means I'm going to have to spend money, period. These players are paid at a premium because they are worth it. Without them, the success of the offensive unit as a whole is compromised, as we have very often witnessed.

With that in mind, I'd sign two Baltimore Ravens, OT Jared Gaither and OG Marshal Yanda.

Gaither is one of the better left tackles in this league, a monster of a man who is still very young and is good in both pass-protection and run-blocking. Yanda is a Pro-Bowl guard, make no mistake about it, he just doesn't get the recognition because he spends so much time playing tackle (has position versatility!) due to injuries. He plays with a nasty demeanor and is tough as nails. There's a story going around about him getting tased and not even flinching, I think it's on Youtube.

With those two guys locked down, the offensive line would look like this:

Gaither - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Yanda - Colon

I still see one hole in that line, and it's Kemo. Now, here are two different options. Trade a first and a third to the Saints for Carl Nicks or draft Mike Pouncey. Personally, I'd prefer Nicks, even with the high price. Nicks is a 25 year old 6'5, 340 lbs. guard who can do it all, and is already one of the five best guards in the league. Has great movement and light feet for a guy his size, and is ridiculously strong (I can't state enough how strong he truly is). My logic is that if Mike Pouncey, or Marcus Cannon, or whoever else for that matter, ultimately wind up becoming great players in the future, they will play at Nicks' level, so why not go for the sure and immediate thing right from the get go?

That would leave the line looking like this:

Gaither - Nicks - Pouncey - Yanda - Colon

Believe it or not, that interior offensive line would be one of the best units in the entire league. Gaither is a borderline franchise tackle, meaning you can definitely move forward with him in your long term plans. Colon is a solid right tackle who'll play better with these guys on their side, and whom I can most definitely live with.

Second round pick is invested in a CB, and voila, the two biggest needs in our team are not only filled, but filled with quality players.

But unfortunately, I don't run the Steelers, and I'm pretty sure their frugality will once again prevail this off-season. Not that I have anything against it, it's a successful formula that has been proven many times, but it would be pretty amazing to see how dominant this team could be if we added free agents.

It's easy to spend other people's money, isn't it? lol Just ask Obama. (Burn!)

I agree with your analysis regarding the skillset of our o-line, except for Colon who is one of the better RTs in the game. You're spot on when it comes to Kemo.

With that said, I disagree with your diagnosis.

No NFL team can be good at everything. O-line is just one of those areas where Steelers aren't dominant. Colbert has done a great job on the O-line though, considering it's made up of late round picks, except 53 of course. This has allowed the Steelers to draft studs at other positions with the high picks, like Timmons, Ben, Ziggy, Woodley, ect.

The strategy has been pretty successful, I'd say.

As far as signing Gaither, I think that'd be a mistake. He's an injury waiting to happen. Starks would end up playing anyhow. Plus, Starks is an allright LT. The money the Steelers would have to pay Gaither wouldn't be worth the upgrade.

isunormalil
02-07-2011, 09:05 AM
What is missing from this team is Holmes and a Corner. Our receivers have really matured. You put Holmes on the field with Wallace, Sanders and Brown...wow. I can't believe we gave him away for a 5th round pick. I understand the thought process...but the jets don't sniff him without a 1st round pick.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
I would love to have Mike Pouncey, and I'm pretty sure the Steelers are high on him. So are the Packers.......

Do you think it's possible that the Steelers let Greenbay win so they could get him first? :doh:

Before using a first round pick on Mike, I personally would consider the Big Legursky as an option at RG. He played very well against Raji.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I would love to have Mike Pouncey, and I'm pretty sure the Steelers are high on him. So are the Packers.......

Do you think it's possible that the Steelers let Greenbay win so they could get him first? :doh:

Before using a first round pick on Mike, I personally would consider the Big Legursky as an option at RG. He played very well against Raji.

You laugh but in last year's draft, the Colts took the player the Saints really wanted, one spot ahead of them. :doh:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
1) Holmes was getting a 4 or 5 game suspension

2) I beleive his words "thats how you be great" over and over in the Sb really turned the Rooneys sour, as they are words of ME ME ME. Not we we we.

3) His tweets on waking and baking. Not appropriate at all.

4) Rumors of his contract demands of wanting big bucks. As opposed to discussing it privately.

The suspenion cost the steelers trade value, they dumped him to get rid of the mess.