PDA

View Full Version : "defense" completely lit up

TRH
02-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Yes our offense turned the ball over. One was run back for a TD, but the other 2 times, i didn't see the "D" stopping them.
And whats up with Troy? again? Are we not utilizing him properly? This thing of playing him 20 yards deep every play is CLEARLY not working out.

Fact. If Rogers receivers didn't drop all those balls, he would have approached the 500 yard mark in passing.
One drop was all in the clear and would have been an easy 60, 70 yd TD. These weren't your usual "the throw was just a bit off and dropped" or "it would have been a difficult catch but dropped" drops....these were perfect throws right in the hands that should have been caught.
An embarrassing finale on a national stage for our "5 star defense". We need serious, huge surgery on our secondary this off-season and i hope they've begun the thinking process already.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 07:44 AM
maybe it's time for LeBeau to go?

StainlessStill
02-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes our offense turned the ball over. One was run back for a TD, but the other 2 times, i didn't see the "D" stopping them.
And whats up with Troy? again? Are we not utilizing him properly? This thing of playing him 20 yards deep every play is CLEARLY not working out.

Fact. If Rogers receivers didn't drop all those balls, he would have approached the 500 yard mark in passing.
One drop was all in the clear and would have been an easy 60, 70 yd TD. These weren't your usual "the throw was just a bit off and dropped" or "it would have been a difficult catch but dropped" drops....these were perfect throws right in the hands that should have been caught.
An embarrassing finale on a national stage for our "5 star defense". We need serious, huge surgery on our secondary this off-season and i hope they've begun the thinking process already.

I heard we interviewed Jeff Fisher on the radio IN Dallas. Defensive Coordinator? Arians out? Who knows.

TRH
02-07-2011, 07:48 AM
maybe it's time for LeBeau to go?

i don't know if i'd go that far, i'm not sure. But we need to figure out a way to stop the short slants and open middle. Its getting dire. The good QB's such as Brees, Brady, and Rogers are all making us look downright foolish.
The only reason Flacco couldn't do it is because he doesn't have a cool head like those guys and gets rattled easy.

TRH
02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
I heard we interviewed Jeff Fisher on the radio IN Dallas. Defensive Coordinator? Arians out? Who knows.

interviewed Fisher? Think thats a true story?

StainlessStill
02-07-2011, 07:50 AM
interviewed Fisher? Think thats a true story?

Who knows, it could be all behind closed doors type ordeal but they were saying we indeed met with him. Very interesting.

steelax04
02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
The good QB's such as Brees, Brady, and Rogers are all making us look downright foolish.

And that's why I would go that far in saying it might be time for a new DC. The league is completely changing and I don't know if his old school genius is going to get the job done anymore. Maybe it's just personnel, though. Something just isn't right with the defense anymore.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 07:53 AM
And that's why I would go that far in saying it might be time for a new DC. The league is completely changing and I don't know if his old school genius is going to get the job done anymore. Maybe it's just personnel, though. Something just isn't right with the defense anymore.

I've thought this ever since XLIII. Watching us pummel Zona and then let them back into and even take the lead on us. Watching 2009 with teams like the Raiders coming back and beating us in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying LeBeau has to go or anything crazy like that, but there are some adjustments that could/should be made.

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 08:08 AM

Jeff Fisher is a Head Coach and head coach only. C'mon guys

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Jeff Fisher is a Head Coach and head coach only. C'mon guys

I heard we were talking about bringing Cowher back as our LB coach. :thumbsup:

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 08:09 AM
i don't know if i'd go that far, i'm not sure. But we need to figure out a way to stop the short slants and open middle. Its getting dire. The good QB's such as Brees, Brady, and Rogers are all making us look downright foolish.
The only reason Flacco couldn't do it is because he doesn't have a cool head like those guys and gets rattled easy.

Clark has lost a step....Farrior cannot cover at 36.....Did Hood get any pressure at all?

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Clark has lost a step....Farrior cannot cover at 36.....Did Hood get any pressure at all?

I thought Zig had a sack?

Farrior is indeed getting up there and should be upgraded. I think Clark's game has suffered because of the pansy hit garbage going on now. dude can't play his game.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Farrior is indeed getting up there and should be upgraded.

worst play from him last night was calling tails.

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I thought Zig had a sack?

Farrior is indeed getting up there and should be upgraded. I think Clark's game has suffered because of the pansy hit garbage going on now. dude can't play his game.

My Bad...I meant Hampton....Hood played well...

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Troy looked as if he was not just dinged but definitely hurt throughout the playoffs - I am a big Polamalu fan but I do not recall any significant plays from him throughout the playoff run and thought he had abad game yesterday - hopefully he will heal up during the offseason but since 2005 he will have only made it through one season healthy (2008) - really have to wonder how many quality years he has left

As for LeBeau, his defense got lit up by Brady, Brees, and Rodgers, who do that to pretty much everyone - Steelers are fortunate no QB with that skill set currently plays in the division - as the D declines the offense is going to have to step up next season

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Ben spotted them 7 points without even giving the defense a chance. He also gave them a head start twice with turnovers inside our side of the 50.

I thought the D played admirably against a very good offense. I didn't go into this game expecting to hold them to less than 20 points, considering the match-up. Without the turnovers, the defense held them to 7 points. Kudos to them.

Let's face it, we can't win every game 17-14. High powered offenses are going to score, and don't need any help to do so.

This one is on Ben. The Rooney's paid him the big bucks so the defense didn't always have to hold the other team to 10 points in order to win.

It seems like fans on this board will do anything to let Ben off the hook.

TRH
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Ben spotted them 7 points without even giving the defense a chance. He also gave them a head start twice with turnovers inside our side of the 50.

I thought the D played admirably against a very good offense. I didn't go into this game expecting to hold them to less than 20 points, considering the match-up. Without the turnovers, the defense held them to 7 points. Kudos to them.

Let's face it, we can't win every game 17-14. High powered offenses are going to score, and don't need any help to do so.

This one is on Ben. The Rooney's paid him the big bucks so the defense didn't always have to hold the other team to 10 points in order to win.

as bad as the offense was, the defense was worse, brother.....
If Rogers had all those perfect passes caught that were dropped, he would have had around 450 yards passing... maybe more.

i haven't been a fan of the offense either (from a coached standpoint....i think Ben has done quite a nice job), but the D was one notch worse.

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
If Rogers had all those perfect passes caught that were dropped, he would have had around 450 yards passing... maybe more.

i haven't been a fan of the offense either (from a coached standpoint....i think Ben has done quite a nice job), but the D was one notch worse.

You said it in this response......perfect passes. No defense would have stopped Rodgers the way he played last night.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM

I agree about the offense...the turnovers were killers. But at some point the D needed to step up and DO something when it mattered. They couldn't, plain and simple.

Rodgers completely exploited the secondary for most of the night. They tried running in small spurts, but they knew that wasn't going to get them anywhere.

I'm not pointing the finger at any one part of the team or person...a lot of people had a hand in that loss.

Kudos to Green Bay for playing a great game.

TRH
02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
[
I'm not pointing the finger at any one part of the team or person...a lot of people had a hand in that loss.

Man, aint that the truth. Offense, Defense, and Coaches alike. Tomlin definitely didn't have one of his "better-coached" games last night.

pitt0wns
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I think this coaching staff sucks honestly

TRH
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM

At times i really like tomlin, but sometimes wonder. That FG attempt yesterday was as bad of a call as i've seen.
Arians called a bad game. And it wasn't LeBeau's finest coached game either. Also S/T's needs to corral their guys with some discipline.
It was not a good day for our coaching staff. I'm sure they feel like crap today about their own performance.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Although I agree Tomlin and his assistants did not have a good game yesterday, reaching the playoffs 3 out of 4 years with 2 Super Bowl appearances and holding this team together in 2010 with the offseason crap + the ruined OL should get Tomlin some credit - the secondary problems that could not stop Green Bay on key third downs have been there all season against quality QBs and are at least as nmuch a talent issue as how those players are coached up

With regard to his staff, the OL and ST coaching hires this season were an upgrade and I still think it is a good defensive staff - will be interested to see if Butler takes the Arizona D coordinator job that apparently is his if he wants it and, as always, what they do with Arians - my guess is Arains returns although after 4 seasons Tomlin may want to further refresh his staff

quiggle
02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
when does Tomlin's contract expire, I wouldn't mind seeing Cowher back though.

pete74
02-07-2011, 09:57 AM
personally i blame the entire coaching staff. Ben had a horrible game but other then that it was bad coaching. We all knew exactly what Green Bay was going to do and the Steelers had 2 weeks to prepare for it and still couldnt even make them change there game plan like they made us do.

our play calling was so predictable that i was seriously calling out 90% of our plays to my wife before the ball was snapped.

our defense is a little overrated and any good QB can easily tear us up. we need to get at least 1 good corner to play opposite Ike. we really need 2 good corners but the odds of us drafting 2 or trading for 1 and drafting another are slim to none.

NCBlackWolf
02-07-2011, 09:58 AM

I don't think they "suck". Like many others have said and think, the coaching was terrible last night.

But this coaching staff did a phenomenal job all year. Losing Ben, the injuries, etc.
Hell, I didn't think a long playoff run was anywhere in the picture.

Our secondary has great to good players (Troy, Ryan, Ike) and the rest our awful.

Good qb's lit us up all year. My Steeler bias prevented me from seeing the truth this week until last night's fiasco.

Aaron Rodgers had some phenomenal throws last night as well. I know he was good but was hoping he panic in the spotlight and play like a Flacco. He ain't Flacco.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 10:00 AM
when does Tomlin's contract expire, I wouldn't mind seeing Cowher back though.

Are you on drugs. Cowher was here what, 14-15 years? During that time he had exactly the same success that Tomlin's had in 4.

I love me some Chin, but come on dude.....

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Are you on drugs. Cowher was here what, 14-15 years? During that time he had exactly the same success that Tomlin's had in 4.

I love me some Chin, but come on dude.....

^^^This.

Cowher isn't coming back and if the Rooney's didn't make knee jerk reactions with Cowher when he was here, they certainly aren't going to make knee jerk reactions with Tomlin considering the success he's had.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM

I completely agree about the defense playing well. We were there at the end of the game, but just couldn't get it done. I think Farrior is still playing great football too.

I'm not sure I can put all of the blame on Ben. The field goal attempt and Mendenhall's fumble really had a big role in the Steeler's loss.

WickedSteel
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
A stupid STs penalty and poor o line play led to the pick 6. They got backed up into the shadow of their own goal post and then the o line couldn't stop the bull rush and allowed the Pack to get in Ben's face. They hit Ben's shoulder right as he was releasing the ball and it fell short. Had be been able to get all of it I believe that Wallace was open down the field.

The second INT was all Ben. He had no business throwing that ball into double coverage. He tried to force on there and paid for it.

Mendy's fumble was part his fault, part the o line's fault. They looked nothing like they did against the Jets. Mendy was getting hit a ton in the backfield and the only time that he broke a few was when he used his own speed to get to the outside. On the fumble he was mobbed by two guys 3 yards in the backfield and Matthews popped the ball out.

The secondary has been shaky for years now and it has been hidden by the pass rush. The Steelers used to be able to get consistent pressure on the QB and force him into making poor throws and take sacks. This covered up the fact that the secondary couldn't stop a nosebleed. Now our LBs are getting older and many teams have great o lines. We cannot put enough pressure on QBs anymore and they have ample amount of time to sit back there and pick the weak secondary apart. Add to the fact that our defensive scheme can't stop teams who like to run a spread offense and get rid of the ball quickly and our secondary is exposed. Ike is pretty good but even he got burned last night. Gay got burned again and even Troy did. They need some serious shut down corners that can play man coverage if they want to be serious contenders.

Rodgers could have easily had 450+ yards and 4 TDs if not for the drops. Our D was destroyed last night because of the poor secondary play and Driver wasn't even out there for half the game!

Our offense obviously deserves some blame because they were stagnant at times. They were without Woodson and Shields for half the game and they still couldn't get anything done. They need to fix some of these problems and change schemes for next season, whenever it is, or they will be doomed to repeat.

stb_steeler
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
What is this the rumor thread???......:coffee:

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure I can put all of the blame on Ben. The field goal attempt and Mendenhall's fumble really had a big role in the Steeler's loss.

I agree, you can't put the whole blame on any player, including Ben.

Ben did more bad than good in this game, and most of it goes to him. He's your $100 million man, he's not supposed to do give the game away.

As a side note, it's only fair to blame the quarterback for losses like these. When QBs win games, they get all the credit.......

inturnmike
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM
I clearly learned two things from the SuperBowl last night....

1) I absolutely HATE the Black-Eyed Peas...

2) We need to get rid of Gay and McFadden...and get some players who will NOT turn their backs on the receivers they are covering one-on-one!!!!!!!

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
A stupid STs penalty and poor o line play led to the pick 6. They got backed up into the shadow of their own goal post and then the o line couldn't stop the bull rush and allowed the Pack to get in Ben's face. They hit Ben's shoulder right as he was releasing the ball and it fell short. Had be been able to get all of it I believe that Wallace was open down the field.

The second INT was all Ben. He had no business throwing that ball into double coverage. He tried to force on there and paid for it.

Mendy's fumble was part his fault, part the o line's fault. They looked nothing like they did against the Jets. Mendy was getting hit a ton in the backfield and the only time that he broke a few was when he used his own speed to get to the outside. On the fumble he was mobbed by two guys 3 yards in the backfield and Matthews popped the ball out.

The secondary has been shaky for years now and it has been hidden by the pass rush. The Steelers used to be able to get consistent pressure on the QB and force him into making poor throws and take sacks. This covered up the fact that the secondary couldn't stop a nosebleed. Now our LBs are getting older and many teams have great o lines. We cannot put enough pressure on QBs anymore and they have ample amount of time to sit back there and pick the weak secondary apart. Add to the fact that our defensive scheme can't stop teams who like to run a spread offense and get rid of the ball quickly and our secondary is exposed. Ike is pretty good but even he got burned last night. Gay got burned again and even Troy did. They need some serious shut down corners that can play man coverage if they want to be serious contenders.

Rodgers could have easily had 450+ yards and 4 TDs if not for the drops. Our D was destroyed last night because of the poor secondary play and Driver wasn't even out there for half the game!

Our offense obviously deserves some blame because they were stagnant at times. They were without Woodson and Shields for half the game and they still couldn't get anything done. They need to fix some of these problems and change schemes for next season, whenever it is, or they will be doomed to repeat.

Everybody in the world and their brother too, knew that the Packers were going to do this to us. And they did. I'm surprised LeBeau & co. didn't have a better answer.
3 turnovers, but really only one can be blamed on Ben.....the shared blame goes right down the line.
QB leadership. Poor defensive play. Listless, ho-hum attitude. Stupid penalties (Fox....). And most of all, the surprisingly bad coaching of last night's game. That may be the biggest head-scratcher of all.

NCBlackWolf
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM

2) We need to get rid of Gay and McFadden...and get some players who will NOT turn their backs on the receivers they are covering one-on-one!!!!!!!

Very good first post. I agree on #1 wholehartedly. #2 I agree with even more.

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM

black-eye peas were beyond terrible and Slash should have declined the offer when asked. His hat-in-the-eyes thing, playing guest solo-er in big events has gotten REALLY old.
Christina whats-her-name was so bad it was funny. Her voice is almost completely shot. Go have some more plastic surgery.

Merchant
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
In my opinion.. It's not Lebeau (anyone actually questioning him should be smacked).. It's not the scheme.. It's lack of talent at the corner position. Ike is solid, we all know that. But when our defense gets spread out by 4-wide/5-wide sets and you got McFadden, Gay, Madison in coverage against receivers like the ones Green Bay and New Orleans have, with a trigger-man like Rodgers or Brees, then it's tough to succeed. We really need to re-sign Ike and draft a solid corner.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 11:02 AM
black-eye peas were beyond terrible and Slash should have declined the offer when asked. His hat-in-the-eyes thing, playing guest solo-er in big events has gotten REALLY old.
Christina whats-her-name was so bad it was funny. Her voice is almost completely shot. Go have some more plastic surgery.

I was texting a buddy of mind during that show. A couple of quotes:

"What the hell is that plastic thing on his head?"

"I hope it melts on his face"

"Am I watching a football game or the movie TRON?"

"What's with the boxes on their head?"

"That guy looks like Dracula and his clothes keep lighting up"

"Why is Mr. T wearing 3D glasses?"

"Christina Aguilera is disgusting"

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
our play calling was so predictable that i was seriously calling out 90% of our plays to my wife before the ball was snapped..

:sofunny: - a big Green Bay fan in my office does not watch the Steelers that often and was asking what was going on with all the bubble screens

Steve Young was ripping on Roethlisberger in pre-game for not getting the ball out on time to his receivers at a precise point, but you have to wonder how much of that is on #7 and how much is the offense that he is required to operate:noidea:

TRH
02-07-2011, 11:09 AM
:sofunny: - a big Green Bay fan in my office does not watch the Steelers that often and was asking what was going on with all the bubble screens

Steve Young was ripping on Roethlisberger in pre-game for not getting the ball out on time to his receivers at a precise point, but you have to wonder how much of that is on #7 and how much is the offense that he is required to operate:noidea:

thats another one. Too many bubble screens. Problem is we threw one bubble screen this year that Wallace took for a huge gainer and we've been trying ever since to duplicate it but have come up short ever since.
We were throwing either bubbles or 10 + passes. We needed to throw more short slants or outs like Rogers was throwing. Our offense is capable.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 11:10 AM
thats another one. Too many bubble screens. Problem is we threw one bubble screen this year that Wallace took for a huge gainer and we've been trying ever since to duplicate it but have come up short ever since.
We were throwing either bubbles or 10 + passes. We needed to throw more short slants or outs like Rogers was throwing. Our offense is capable.

The best thing out of those bubble screens is the play we faked it, then ran a different play for like 10-15 yards.

tube517
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Really?? Steve Young ripped on Ben??? That's not anything new......

TRH
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
wow...just reading all of this....Tomlin HAS A LOT of work to do to prepare for next year. Teams always have work to do, but for a team that just appeared in a SB, we have more than the usual to do, change, and prepare for.

StylCurtainXL
02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I guess I saw a different game than most. Looking at the details/stats/drive charts. It appears THE difference maker in this game was clearly -3 TO differential.

I'm not sure with that kind of differential what more we could have asked of the D. 7 direct points and 2 short fields given to the hottest offense and QB in the league.

GB Drives:
21 Yds, Punt
80 Yds, TD
INT Ret TD
9 Yds, Punt (3 & out)
53 Yds, TD (2nd INT)
Penalty ridden Net 5 Yd, Punt
-3 Yds, Punt
19 Yds, Punt (Held after the 52Yd FG try)
0 Yds, Punt (3& out)
Mendy Fumble
55 Yds, TD
70 Yds FG

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I guess I saw a different game than most. Looking at the details/stats/drive charts. It appears THE difference maker in this game was clearly -3 TO differential.

I'm not sure with that kind of differential what more we could have asked of the D. 7 direct points and 2 short fields given to the hottest offense and QB in the league.

GB Drives:
21 Yds, Punt
80 Yds, TD
INT Ret TD
9 Yds, Punt (3 & out)
53 Yds, TD (2nd INT)
Penalty ridden Net 5 Yd, Punt
-3 Yds, Punt
19 Yds, Punt (Held after the 52Yd FG try)
0 Yds, Punt (3& out)
Mendy Fumble
55 Yds, TD
70 Yds FG

I absolutely agree with you. We as fans tend to look at the surface and figure they scored 31 so the D must have stunk. I thought they did a good job. Our offense failed to capitilize when our D 4 punts in a row and held them to under 20 yards in the 3rd Q. Rodgers played a great game and his passes where perfect, as good a game I have seen by a QB in a long time. Simply put, you can't turn the ball over 3 times and win big games against teams just as good or a little better.

KordellO'Donnell
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I heard we were talking about bringing Cowher back as our LB coach. :thumbsup:

NO thats a rumor, Cowher is still talking to CLeveland

KordellO'Donnell
02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Rodgers completed 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards and three touchdowns without an interception.
Just think how many more yards he would have had without all the stupid dropped passes, a new DC in the future? I think you guys already called it...

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Rodgers completed 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards and three touchdowns without an interception.
Just think how many more yards he would have had without all the stupid dropped passes, a new DC in the future? I think you guys already called it...

Simply amazing.......

The Steelers make it to the Super Bowl.......(just let that linger)

I'll repeat: The Steelers make it to the Super Bowl with the number 2 rated defense in terms of yards and number 1 defense in terms of points, and you want to get rid of one of the greatest DCs of all time? Just because Aaron Rodgers, a top 3 quarterback, threw for 300 yards?

I'll point out, without turnover-assisted drives, the defense only gave up 10 points. One of the touchdowns the defense wasn't even on the field to prevent.

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.....

I wonder if you were calling for Lebeau's head after SB XLIII when Warner threw for almost 400 yards.

TRH
02-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Simply amazing.......

The Steelers make it to the Super Bowl.......(just let that linger)

I'll repeat: The Steelers make it to the Super Bowl with the number 2 rated defense in terms of yards and number 1 defense in terms of points, and you want to get rid of one of the greatest DCs of all time? Just because Aaron Rodgers, a top 3 quarterback, threw for 300 yards?

I'll point out, without turnover-assisted drives, the defense only gave up 10 points. One of the touchdowns the defense wasn't even on the field to prevent.

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.....

I wonder if you were calling for Lebeau's head after SB XLIII when Warner threw for almost 400 yards.

If LeBeau's back next year and doesn't retire or anything, i think we can all agree though, that he has to work a scheme (or three...) to do something about these short slants and mid-middle routes. We're just getting slaughtered by good QB's to a ridiculous point.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
If LeBeau's back next year and doesn't retire or anything, i think we can all agree though, that he has to work a scheme (or three...) to do something about these short slants and mid-middle routes. We're just getting slaughtered by good QB's to a ridiculous point.

I believe the one weakness of Lebeau's scheme is a great quarterback.

I hate to sound like an apologists here, but the weakness of most defenses is a great quarterback. :noidea:

I really think a lot of it has to do with a personel weakness in the secondary. A pass defense is only as good as your worst corner. Anthony Madison playing in the nickel is not a good sign. Gay isn't as bad as a lot of people seem to think, he's a great nickel corner. He doesn't match up will against outside WRs.

Problem is, neither does McFadden. We need a ligitimate corner opposite Ike.

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM

and likewise, had ben thrown some perfect passes we probably wouldve won easilly. the line actually held up as well as they have in any other game this year.

ben was overthrowing everything. i dont know if he was more hurt than usual, or if he just put more pressure on himself to prove he was a MVP type qb and deserving of redemption for his off field troubles.

the defense played well enough to win vs an explosive offense.

PhantomJB93
02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Im not sure what to do. Lebeau is a complete genius and I would hate to see him go, but as others have said his inability to contain the short passing game is starting to get alarming. I dont think we can just let him go though.

I think it may be due more to personel and execution than coaching, but then again Lebeau has enough influence over this team that he could lobby for a star CB and get one if he wanted to, but he doesn't.

:noidea:

steelerjim58
02-07-2011, 02:09 PM

IMO, in todays NFL, against any offense that has the kind of personel Green Bay has, unless you can get crazy pressure on the qb, any defense will more often than not give up 20+ points. So it falls upon the offense to produce. Not commit turnovers and put the ball in the end zone

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
IMO, in todays NFL, against any offense that has the kind of personel Green Bay has, unless you can get crazy pressure on the qb, any defense will more often than not give up 20+ points. So it falls upon the offense to produce. Not commit turnovers and put the ball in the end zone

Yeah...TO's were the big killer. And it was something that they didn't have a problem with throughout the regular season at all. Sucks that it reared it's ugly head when it did. Obviously, you take even one of them away and it's a whole different ballgame.

Shit happens though. I still wish the D had been able to hold on one of the 2 TO drives that they were involved in. Blame lies on both sides for me. A little more on the offense for the untimely mistakes, but I think we've come to expect our D to be able to handle a little more pressure than they did.

Eztarget
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
It's simple. If you're going to blitz as much as we do then you can NOT have Gay/McFadden as your starting 2nd CB.

Look at the Jets. They have two shutdown corners which is why they can blitz. But no matter how great your defense is if you blitz and a quality QB like Brady or Rodgers has time you're going to get burned.

Our defense most of the year held teams to 3 points instead of 7 points off of turnovers. But yesterday Green Bay put up 21 points off of TO's. Imagine if our D held that to 9 points? But like I said above great QB's make you pay. Rodgers if he can stay healthy is going to be a GREAT QB for a long time.

steelerjim58
02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm curious. I hear constantly about how much the Steelers blitz. What is the definition of a blitz? Is it when the d rushes more than 4. It's very rare that Lebeau will bring more than 4 and hardly ever more than 5, unless I am just not paying attention. I have always thought that dropping Woodley and Harrison into coverage is just doing the offense a favor.

NYC_Steeler
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
If we hadn't turned the ball over, we would've won the game - pure and simple, and we would never be having this discussion. The big mistake Lebeau made was with the outside blitzing - there was no one in the middle coming towards Rodgers and he took advantage of that. We continuously left the middle open and you can't do that against a QB like Rodgers - Brady did the same thing when he lit the D up. The Steelers keep making that same mistake over and over again - I don't know why.

Curdoisseur
02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
The Steeler defense was really good, but when Rodgers is on, he's about impossible to stop. He was having to make near perfect throws to get anything done, and he was able to do just that.

Last year the Packers were in the same situation in two games - Big Ben tore us up and won the game on an absolutely perfect (read: indefensible) throw. Then Warner did the same thing to us in the playoffs. Only very strong improvements in our secondary personnel (Shields and Williams in particular) and a great pass rush saved us this season.