PDA

View Full Version : This Loss Was In The Cards

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm a big believer in "what goes around comes around" and I can't say that I didn't see this coming way back in September.

With all of Ben's transgressions and his overall attitude issues, he was given a second chance at redeeming himself as a person. The trick was to change who he was and atone, not just to himself, but to his fans and to people in general for his foolishness and his arrogance.

He did all of the right things, said all the right things and surrounded himself with positive input and stayed away from the things that created the mess he found himself in. But many people (and to a large extent myself included) were skeptical about the sincerity of his "rebirth".

Let's face it, when he was looking at losing it all, it's easy for someone to go through the motions and say and do all the right things when there's a big prize (the SB) waiting at the end.

There's an old expressions that says: "The true test of a man's character isn't what he does while everyone's watching, it's what he does when no one's watching".
For Ben, it was easy to do all the right things while the world was scrutinizing his every move and I had the feeling that if he did all of that and then went on to win yet another SB, would that be because he really changed, or because he just wanted that prize?

If he won that SB, it would be easy to continue his "new" lifestyle. But from a true growth point of view, that would have been too easy and not any real test of his resolve because he simply would have done all the right things while "everyone was watching".
I think that fate has a way of keeping things balanced and if Ben had won this game, there would have been no real consequence for his past behaviors and in fact it would have seemed as if he was being rewarded on the basis of some trite; "my bad" instead of for undergoing any real transformation.

But now, as Aaron Rodgers takes the bows and gets to display the trophy, we'll see if the Ben who has been diligently minding his "P's and Q's" is the real deal or will he instead revert back to his old ways because from here on in, "no one will be watching".

I think that from a growth and maturity point of view, this loss was in the cards because the test now is the real one --- what does Ben do now that the lights are off and the season's over and there's no trophy, no acclaim and no one to prove anything to but himself?

When Tiger Woods' litany of transgressions finally came out and the proverbial shit hit the fan, people wondered the following season if he would still win major tournaments and my first thought was, "no, not this year". I thought that for the same reasons; that fate wouldn't allow it. That Tiger would have to prove something before the Karma wheel swung back in his direction and it's turned out to be just that way so far.

I think that if Ben is to really and sincerely grow as a person and as a professional, this loss was inevitable and in many ways carved in stone. Fate and Karma simply weren't going to let him off that easily and that he needs to show the world what he does "when no one is watching".

He's got the ball, let's see what he does with it.

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
I've felt all year like i don't know how we keep winning. This is one of the weaker overall Steeler teams to be this succesfull since the 80's. My answer was the QB. BR7 IS THAT GOOD.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I wonder how Holmes must be feeling.

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I've felt all year like i don't know how we keep winning. This is one of the weaker overall Steeler teams to be this succesfull since the 80's. My answer was the QB. BR7 IS THAT GOOD.

I agree with that, but I think the bigger picture is that in order to really move forward, you have to take a step back sometimes.

To put it another way, you learn more from failure than from success.

If Ben is to really grow as both a person and as a professional, he needed this loss to demonstrate that he can't just look at life as a series of last-minute heroics or corrections; that real success comes from sound planning and thoughtful execution.

In other words, life is more than just a series of two-minute drills.

grward
02-07-2011, 10:03 AM
When we didn't recover the muffed punt, I knew it was going to be along night. I told my friend that when plays like this don't go your way it's not a good sign. I truly believe the game is measured in inches and with that we were inches away from a victory many times. Yeah, bad signs all night long.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
once we loss the coin flip I knew it wasn't going to go our way, the plan was to let Green Bay's offense go first to sizzle the nerves of Rodgers a little. how many more seasons is Fox doing Super Bowls, can't stand their entire team.

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Ben's fine and will be fine. His perceived "attitude" of previous times had nothing to do with the loss.

Although with our complete ineptness at handling elite teams out there, i seen this one coming a mile away. I had hope....but deep down i knew we weren't that good and really didn't deserve the trophy.
Congrats to GB

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I agree with that, but I think the bigger picture is that in order to really move forward, you have to take a step back sometimes.

To put it another way, you learn more from failure than from success.

If Ben is to really grow as both a person and as a professional, he needed this loss to demonstrate that he can't just look at life as a series of last-minute heroics or corrections; that real success comes from sound planning and thoughtful execution.

In other words, life is more than just a series of two-minute drills.

I agree, looking forward this loss will be the best thing for the team. However, Ben , will be in the spotlight all off season whether we won or not.

dpiedra
02-07-2011, 10:13 AM
This team did wonders to win games this year that it shouldn't have won. How the Ravens blew the pay-off game is still a mystery .. not sure if that speaks to the greatness of the Steelers at the time, or the horrible play of a Ravens team that like the Steelers, looked better than it really was. One other thing that should be noted is that this team played pretty much the same all season ... turnovers, bad penalties, and relied on either the D or Ben to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the late going. This time, it was no different ... can you win a SB with that many bad penalties, with three turnovers (not blaming Mendelhall - it was only his 3rd of the season), a very inconsistent offense? Doubtful, yet we almost pulled the same rabbit out of the hat.

To me, the OC has to absorb some responsibility for a team that at time this year (despite the injuries to the OL) showed very little ability to adjust ... the offense looked horrible and this was no more clear than in the final drive of the SB. How you go a full season and end up with a gift (the chance to drive for the win with 2:00 min left) and look so unorganized is pathetic. Clock management in the second last drive for the Steelers was also suspect.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
maybe it was also meant to humble Mendenall, making that disgusting sexual reference in the AFC game he pooped one out the other end this time around in the Super Bowl.

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
maybe it was also meant to humble Mendenall, making that disgusting sexual reference in the AFC game he pooped one out the other end this time around in the Super Bowl.

:sofunny:

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
When we didn't recover the muffed punt, I knew it was going to be along night. I told my friend that when plays like this don't go your way it's not a good sign. I truly believe the game is measured in inches and with that we were inches away from a victory many times. Yeah, bad signs all night long.

I was thinking along the same lines. I don't remember the player that arrived first but he swatted the ball the wrong way. We did not get any breaks in the game. Turnovers were one sided. This is the one thing that burns me up inside. Nobody wants their team to commit turnovers in the SB. I'm very disappointed. I would rather get blown out than think about what could have been.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I was thinking along the same lines. I don't remember the player that arrived first but he swatted the ball the wrong way. We did not get any breaks in the game. Turnovers were one sided. This is the one thing that burns me up inside. Nobody wants their team to commit turnovers in the SB. I'm very disappointed. I would rather get blown out than think about what could have been.

well if the Steelers had all three timeouts and the two minute warning, the whole last drive would have been different.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
well if the Steelers had all three timeouts and the two minute warning, the whole last drive would have been different.

That's true. We did seemingly waste our timeouts! I can't believe that we had three plays to pick up 5 yards and we failed to do so. The short intermediate routes are non-existent in our offense. The long pass to Wallace on the last drive was a mistake. We should have picked up the 5 yards and then tried a longer pass.

dpiedra
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
That's true. We did seemingly waste our timeouts! I can't believe that we had three plays to pick up 5 yards and we failed to do so. The short intermediate routes are non-existent in our offense. The long pass to Wallace on the last drive was a mistake. We should have picked up the 5 yards and then tried a longer pass.

Agree ... Brady tore us apart this year and hardly ever threw for more than 20 yards. Most are 5-10 yard catches and we couldn't find one of those at the end. The poor management of the clock in the second last drive for the Steelers and the complete confusion of the final drive has to be placed on Arians' head. NO way you throw to Wallace for over 10 yds when all you need is 5 ... where was Miller on a cross route across the centre?

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Exactly. I kept screaming at the TV " we just need FIVE yards"!!!! Just throw a 5 or 6 yard pass, ya know? Don't try and chance a 10, 20 yard pass at this point.
Reminded me of the Jets regular season game we lost. We did the same thing on that drive.

Also, Ben used a very costly timeout, i think it was early in the 3rd quarter maybe....i didn't understand that one. You're in the SB. Ya gotta save that.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
This team did wonders to win games this year that it shouldn't have won. How the Ravens blew the pay-off game is still a mystery .. not sure if that speaks to the greatness of the Steelers at the time, or the horrible play of a Ravens team that like the Steelers, looked better than it really was. One other thing that should be noted is that this team played pretty much the same all season ... turnovers, bad penalties, and relied on either the D or Ben to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the late going. This time, it was no different ... can you win a SB with that many bad penalties, with three turnovers (not blaming Mendelhall - it was only his 3rd of the season), a very inconsistent offense? Doubtful, yet we almost pulled the same rabbit out of the hat.

To me, the OC has to absorb some responsibility for a team that at time this year (despite the injuries to the OL) showed very little ability to adjust ... the offense looked horrible and this was no more clear than in the final drive of the SB. How you go a full season and end up with a gift (the chance to drive for the win with 2:00 min left) and look so unorganized is pathetic. Clock management in the second last drive for the Steelers was also suspect.

I admit I just didn't have the confidence this time around that I had in 08 with the game winning drive. We seemed to be able to get "just so close" and never be able to grab the lead that was ours. For some reason, I just felt like it wasn't our year. I'm upset, dejected, etc as any good fan would be....but I'm not jumping off a bridge because in the back of my mind I had a bad feeling about this one.

In 2008 we just had "it". The same "it" the Saints had last year. This year just didn't seem that way...but seemed the Packers did have it.

TRH
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Exactly. I kept screaming at the TV " we just need FIVE yards"!!!! Just throw a 5 or 6 yard pass, ya know? Don't try and chance a 10, 20 yard pass at this point.
Reminded me of the Jets regular season game we lost. We did the same thing on that drive.

Also, Ben used a very costly timeout, i think it was early in the 3rd quarter maybe....i didn't understand that one. You're in the SB. Ya gotta save that.
Many dumb decisions in this game. You had poor play from the defensive unit and dumb decisions by the offensive unit and coaching staff.

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 11:23 AM
There were a lot of times this year where I wondered how do we keep winning also. But this has nothing to do with anything in September or Ben on a personal note.