PDA

View Full Version : Are you kidding me!

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
There's a lot of people on this forum taking the loss correctly. That being said I can't believe some of the things I've read on this forum by our own fans about Ben. Yes Ben lost this game, big deal, it's one game. I know it was the Super Bowl but some of you are acting like it's more then one game. He's not going to be superman every game. I read that some people on here now think Rodgers is better then Ben. Horsesh*t! Because he's one half as many super bowls as Ben or because his record in close games is now 5-12 instead of 4-12? He had a good year and he's a good QB, that's all, he's not anywhere near Ben's normally high quality of play. I also heard saw one of us say "If Ben can't do it he needs to step aside and let someone else do it". Ben does it 4-5 a year, if you want more then that then you are expecting to much, it's not him doing to little. He plays great and when he doesn't his 4th quarter play is usually enough to still win. And then others saying that the bad game is "part of his personality". No, the bad game is a bad game. You didn't see people saying that about Brady in the lost to the Jets. On the field play has nothing to do off the field behavior for the most part. Looking around on here seeing stuff I'd hear from the media about Ben as if this loss means that he's still the same guy, doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Now this doesn't apply to a lot of you on here but I had to say something. It's a damn same this rubish is being put out there on our own forum.

vasteeler
02-07-2011, 11:23 AM
it like this after every loss:banging::banging::banging:
i swore to myself i was going to stay away a while after this loss. what the hell is wrong with me:doh:

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree, I think we're all just dissapointed in the loss. Ben didn't come through this time, like we count on.

We've got next year, The O-line will be healthy, the young wide receivers will have a whole year to get better, and Lebeau is going to fix this secondary problem.

I think losing the SB will only make them hungrier next year.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I honestly respect yours as well...but right now we've got more than enough Ben threads to go around lol. All you did really was create a new thread for the same argument to continue in. :chuckle:

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Lol, I know it's frustrating. But some of the things I see in my opinion cross the line. If that's how people feel about a QB who gives them winning seasons and playoff trips almost every year, 3 super bowl appearances, 2 championships AND SLAYS THE RAVENS EVERY TIME THEY PLAY then maybe they should get behind the media hype and go join a GB or Patriot forum. I usually don't like to step on toes here, but come on.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 11:26 AM
some guy on another site suggested Ben might have had a slight concussion yesterday and looked a little dazed out there. another said he is purely a drama queen faking when he landed on his knee then right after ran for about twenty yards. Ben is basically a target scapegoat so anything that goes wrong will be the first to blame.

biggtee
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
21 pts off 3 turnovers BALLGAME!!! ride or die with big ben FOREVER!!!!

tube517
02-07-2011, 11:42 AM
We have bandwagon fans just like every other team.......

quiggle
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I get tickled thinking about Ben going forward with the engagement and getting married, starting a family and having children. but that's a little off topic.

The Curtain's Crusader
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I agree last night wasn't his best performance and don't care for his off-field antics but there's no other QB I'd rather have leading our team. Fits perfectly with Steeler football, IMO, and is always entertaining to watch. No way the loss last night was all Ben's fault.

Merchant
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I wonder if Colts fans were like this after Manning threw the game-losing Pick-6 in last year's Super Bowl.

TRH
02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Correction. Ben didn't lose the game. Our entire team lost the game along with a shockingly badly coached game.
Only one turnover can be blamed on our QB (one was Mendy's, the other his arm was struck when throwing..) and our defense let them score on the 2 turnover opportunities they had when they could have stopped them.
I'm on the side that this wasn't Ben's fault. That said, he certainly did nothing to make the move to the "elite status" in anyone's eyes either. It was a big game for him to do so and he couldn't pull it off.

There were other things that contributed to the offense being non-productive when needed such as Arians' terrible playing-calling last night and ridiculously long snap counts (right down to 0 or 1 on the snap count clock), allowing the defense to have the best look possible at our formation and prepare. That one i didn't understand last night and i still don't today.
We've always done well with hurry-up snaps and 'no-huddles'......yet we refuse to use them. Headscratcher.

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I honestly respect yours as well...but right now we've got more than enough Ben threads to go around lol. All you did really was create a new thread for the same argument to continue in. :chuckle:

Didn't mean to start an unnecesarry thread, I just didn't see any threads where someone wasn't bashing Ben for only bringing the Steelers 2 titles instead of 3.

You said it right bigtee, ride or die with Big Ben forever!!!

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Didn't mean to start an unnecesarry thread, I just didn't see any threads where someone wasn't bashing Ben for only bringing the Steelers 2 titles instead of 3.

You said it right bigtee, ride or die with Big Ben forever!!!

Lol...I know. It wasn't unnecessary, I just know where it's going to go is all. :chuckle:

Agree with everything else you said though!

SacknificentStew56
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I would never place the blame on Ben. There's alot of fans acting like fairweather fans and bandwagoners on here. Rodgers played a better game but he's no where near as good as BIG Ben. This game is measured by rings and Ben still own a 1 ring lead. There are alot of questions that need to be answered whether it's decision making by Ben and coaches playcalling. Or with the play of the secondary. Being the Steeler fanatic that I am, I say f*ck pointing fingers at who cost us the game, suck it up and get ready for the draft.

inturnmike
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I honestly think that Ben is simply an average QB who has the potential to make great plays happen every once in awhile. There have been too many games where I am literally shouting at Ben to throw the ball quickly, each and every play. Instead he waits, waits, waits, pumps, waits, and then forces the ball or runs.

Even my wife (whom I intorduced to football just a few years ago) was telling me that he pumps the ball too often at the guy he ends up throwing to. Who is that faking out, the defender, or our receiver (sometimes)?

And to me it looked like Bush's INT was interference..like he got to the receiver before the ball did and his body stopped the receiver from making a play on the ball.

TRH
02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I honestly think that Ben is simply an average QB who has the potential to make great plays happen every once in awhile. There have been too many games where I am literally shouting at Ben to throw the ball quickly, each and every play. Instead he waits, waits, waits, pumps, waits, and then forces the ball or runs.

Even my wife (whom I intorduced to football just a few years ago) was telling me that he pumps the ball too often at the guy he ends up throwing to. Who is that faking out, the defender, or our receiver (sometimes)?

And to me it looked like Bush's INT was interference..like he got to the receiver before the ball did and his body stopped the receiver from making a play on the ball.

good point. I wonder how often he does fake out one of our own. lol

And i'm still in belief that if the teams are reversed, the refs make that call against us. I really do.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes Ben lost this game, big deal, it's one game. I know it was the Super Bowl but some of you are acting like it's more then one game. He's not going to be superman every game.

Nobody has ever said Ben needs to be Super Man.

Ben has never been Super Man.

You must be watching a different team........

I read that some people on here now think Rodgers is better then Ben.

He is better than Ben. Ask anybody that's not a Steeler's fan, and they'll tell you the same thing.

He's much more accurate, better at reading defenses, and he's a better decision maker. It doesn't matter to me that Ben can shrug off 300 lb linemen if all he does is throw a pass his reciever can't catch because it's off the mark.

The only knock on Rodger's has been his inability to win playoff games. He had the reputation of a 'choker'. He proved he isn't a choker yesterday. If anybody is a choker, it's Ben. He's had 2 of his worst games in the Super Bowl. Rodgers had an above average game in the SB.

Because he's one half as many super bowls as Ben.

Aaron Rodgers has played half as many years as Ben. You expect him to have more Super Bowls than Ben with less seasons?

As a side note, super bowl wins aren't the only measuring stick for quarterbacks to a normal person.

I also heard saw one of us say "If Ben can't do it he needs to step aside and let someone else do it".

I agree with you here. He's the best quarterback on the roster, and still one of the better quarterbacks in the league.

Looking around on here seeing stuff I'd hear from the media about Ben as if this loss means that he's still the same guy, doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

His MO has been winning big games, he's clutch, and his comeback ability. He totally laid an egg (aka choked!) on the biggest stage and failed to bring his team back in the 4th quarter. Of course people will question him as a quarterback.

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Ben is basically a target scapegoat so anything that goes wrong will be the first to blame.

With all due respect, I disagree.

Scapegoat has been reserved since 2007. It's Arians.

BritishSteel
02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Correction. Ben didn't lose the game. Our entire team lost the game along with a shockingly badly coached game.
Only one turnover can be blamed on our QB (one was Mendy's, the other his arm was struck when throwing..) and our defense let them score on the 2 turnover opportunities they had when they could have stopped them.
I'm on the side that this wasn't Ben's fault. That said, he certainly did nothing to make the move to the "elite status" in anyone's eyes either. It was a big game for him to do so and he couldn't pull it off.

There were other things that contributed to the offense being non-productive when needed such as Arians' terrible playing-calling last night and ridiculously long snap counts (right down to 0 or 1 on the snap count clock), allowing the defense to have the best look possible at our formation and prepare. That one i didn't understand last night and i still don't today.
We've always done well with hurry-up snaps and 'no-huddles'......yet we refuse to use them. Headscratcher.

Good post - agree 100%.

Ben laid an egg last night - it seemed that he couldn't get his range right and passes were high, at least to start off with - he got better as he went along. He has to shoulder his share of the blame, alongside some dismal coaching decisions (the field goal call, the offensive play calling generally), some stupid penalties (Fox's was particularly idiotic, and probably cost him a contract extension), some poor coverage......

He's a good quarterback - he has a set of receivers who could be as good as anyone's over the next few years and we aren't going to pick up anyone who can contribute anything like what he brings in the short term.

He faced a team who played a hell of a game - lets not freak out over one result. We know we have needs we need to address, but one of the good things about the Rooney's is that they don't make snap decisions.

Hopefully Arians gets canned though.

Mexburgh
02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, Ben lost the Big Game and that hurts, if he would have made it on the last drive, SBXLIII-style, and kept the ball safe, we would be reading different comments now...but damn, he/they didn't and that's sad and disappointing.

I hope the whole team improves now, made the correct changes and after hit bottom they return to quest for the 7th title. There are other teams and QB's to root for, I stay with the Steelers and Big Ben, they have been closer to another ring than others...

Chadmagic
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
The whole team is to blame. From the coaches on down. I think we were unprepared and it showed on the field. The Packers came out hot and were ready to play. They stepped up to the plate with a win at all cost attitude and we didn't. We came out cold and reserved. We knew going into the game that Rodgers was gonna spread out the D and throw. Yet we did nothing to stop it. Fail on Defense. We had 4 quarters and 2 weeks to find an answer for that and we didn't. We played our usual D which has been vulnerable to that type of offense all season. Why we were not able to fix this problem I just don't understand.

It doesn't do you any good to force and opponent to be one dimensional if you can't stop that dimension!

I would rather have had them run the ball more on us and be able to stop the pass more and possible hold them to a field goal rather than TDs. Its about balance and we are too heavy on run D and too light on pass D.

Now the offense. Yuck. 3 turnovers didn't do us any favors. Yet, through it all, they were able to move the ball consistently on the ground for large chunks. So why did we keep abandoning it for the pass? When you see the run is working, and you throw a pick 6, why keep throwing? Fail on Offense. If we had kept running, we might have won this game. As we would be putting up points and Aaron would have been off the field. A bright spot was the Legursky held his own even though everyone thought Raji would have his way with him. Way to go Legursky.

Need4spd
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM

He is better than Ben. Ask anybody that's not a Steeler's fan, and they'll tell you the same thing.

He's much more accurate, better at reading defenses, and he's a better decision maker. It doesn't matter to me that Ben can shrug off 300 lb linemen if all he does is throw a pass his reciever can't catch because it's off the mark.

The only knock on Rodger's has been his inability to win playoff games. He had the reputation of a 'choker'. He proved he isn't a choker yesterday. If anybody is a choker, it's Ben. He's had 2 of his worst games in the Super Bowl. Rodgers had an above average game in the SB.

Aaron Rodgers has played half as many years as Ben. You expect him to have more Super Bowls than Ben with less seasons?

As a side note, super bowl wins aren't the only measuring stick for quarterbacks to a normal person.

I agree with you here. He's the best quarterback on the roster, and still one of the better quarterbacks in the league.

His MO has been winning big games, he's clutch, and his comeback ability. He totally laid an egg (aka choked!) on the biggest stage and failed to bring his team back in the 4th quarter. Of course people will question him as a quarterback.

This is a largely accurate assessment. I was thoroughly impressed watching Rodgers last night. He throws the prettiest and most accurate ball we've seen in awhile. He couldn't have walked it down the field and placed it in a better spot than where was he throwing it. I am a HUGE Roethlisberger fan, but I continue to be annoyed with his inability to properly read defenses in an efficient manner.

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
The five stages of grief are: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

Right now, most of us are at the "Anger" stage and that's perfectly normal. It was his fault, their fault, etc. and though there's plenty of blame to go around the bottom line is that things like this happen and we'll all get over it.

So when we're all finished kicking the dog and breaking the furniture, training camp will open again and we'll all scramble once again for a good seat on the bandwagon and by week 17 we'll be chanting for another Super Bowl win.

We're Steeler fans , not Lions fans or fans of some "one-shot-wonder". We're part of a winning tradition that didn't stop on Sunday, but was just temporarily sidetracked.

Can't wait for next season!

cloppbeast
02-07-2011, 01:39 PM
The five stages of grief are: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

Right now, most of us are at the "Anger" stage and that's perfectly normal. It was his fault, their fault, etc. and though there's plenty of blame to go around the bottom line is that things like this happen and we'll all get over it.

So when we're all finished kicking the dog and breaking the furniture, training camp will open again and we'll all scramble once again for a good seat on the bandwagon and by week 17 we'll be chanting for another Super Bowl win.

We're Steeler fans , not Lions fans or fans of some "one-shot-wonder". We're part of a winning tradition that didn't stop on Sunday, but was just temporarily sidetracked.

Can't wait for season!

:thumbsup: :hatsoff::applaudit:

We have it good, don't we? Complaining about a Super Bowl loss. It's rich isn't it?

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 06:07 PM

you must be watching a different team. year in and year out it's Ben in the 4th winning games. And I don't need to ask anybody to know he's better then Rodgers, nobody was talking about Rodgers till this year, when he does it a few times like Ben ALREADY HAS, then I'll have this conversation with you.

On another note, in my original post I had said Ben lost the game. I didn't mean that as he single handedly lost it though. I saw that was pointed out and wanted to clear that up.

spro
02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Worry not, Steelers fans. Karma has cleansed Ben of his sins by making him lose on the biggest stage of all, the Super Bowl.

We're gonna WIN the Super Bowl in 2012 (if there's a 2011 season).

:tt:

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
:thumbsup: :hatsoff::applaudit:

We have it good, don't we? Complaining about a Super Bowl loss. It's rich isn't it?

Amen to that!

If pissin' and moanin' about losing a potential SEVENTH Superbowl title (after our EIGHTH visit) is the worst thing we have to whine about, I'd say we're in pretty damned great shape!

Terrapin
02-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Another poster mentioned this, and I think he's onto something, as I've been noticing this all year. Ben runs the play clock down to 1 second EVERY PLAY. Realize the advantage for a defense to know the precise second the ball will be snapped. I know Manning does that crap, and maybe Ben's trying to copy him. I don't know, but as a fan it's frustrating to watch. As an opposing defense, it has to be awesome.

As far as Ben ranking among QBs, I'd rank the current QBs like this:

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ben
Brees
Rivers

He's definitely top 6 in the league, and that's just fine with me. And with this O line, I don't think there's anyone else I'd rather have. Plus, aside from the Pats, at this point in time all of the other QBs mentioned have way better WRs, as well as O lines.

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 07:36 PM
OK, I'll play.

I'd rank the current QBs like this:

Brady - because he has three rings
Ben - because he has two rings
Rodgers - because he's coming along quickly and seems to have the "it" factor.
Brees - same as Rodgers but not quite as much "it".
Manning - because he's all about gaudy numbers, but he sucks in the postseason.
Rivers - I still don't know why Rivers even comes up in these conversations.

Now if you're gonna go all "stats" on me then knock yourself out, but the only purpose stats serve is to have something to argue about or to play fantasy football with.

Stats don't win championships.

Terrapin
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
OK, I'll play.

I'd rank the current QBs like this:

Brady - because he has three rings
Ben - because he has two rings
Rodgers - because he's coming along quickly and seems to have the "it" factor.
Brees - same as Rodgers but not quite as much "it".
Manning - because he's all about gaudy numbers, but he sucks in the postseason.
Rivers - I still don't know why Rivers even comes up in these conversations.

Now if you're gonna go all "stats" on me then knock yourself out, but the only purpose stats serve is to have something to argue about or to play fantasy football with.

Stats don't win championships.

I'd be tempted to drop Manning, especially since I think he's on the downside of his career. But his WRs dropped like flies this year, and he was still solid. Like I said, the only one that would even have a chance of surviving behind our line would be Rodgers.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I'd be tempted to drop Manning, especially since I think he's on the downside of his career. But his WRs dropped like flies this year, and he was still solid. Like I said, the only one that would even have a chance of surviving behind our line would be Rodgers.

it's funny that Mannings on the downhill slope and he's probably going to get the largest $$$ contract in the history of pro football.

BlaZeQuietly
02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I wonder what would happen if we actually had an O-Line and Rothelisberger didn't spend 75% of his time dodging bullets.

stb_steeler
02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Another poster mentioned this, and I think he's onto something, as I've been noticing this all year. Ben runs the play clock down to 1 second EVERY PLAY. Realize the advantage for a defense to know the precise second the ball will be snapped. I know Manning does that crap, and maybe Ben's trying to copy him. I don't know, but as a fan it's frustrating to watch. As an opposing defense, it has to be awesome.

As far as Ben ranking among QBs, I'd rank the current QBs like this:

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Ben
Brees
Rivers

He's definitely top 6 in the league, and that's just fine with me. And with this O line, I don't think there's anyone else I'd rather have. Plus, aside from the Pats, at this point in time all of the other QBs mentioned have way better WRs, as well as O lines.

LOL...last month some had him at 5.......

TRH
02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I wonder what would happen if we actually had an O-Line and Rothelisberger didn't spend 75% of his time dodging bullets.

i've wondered that myself. We might actually score some points.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Are you kidding me? Ben had one sack and had enough time in the pocket. Ben is not a pocket passer but he can develop into a decent one. Props to Sean Kugler.

steelers2685
02-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I still don't get how you can rank Rodgers higher than Ben? Sorry, but the guy gets the job done. Yes he lost one Super Bowl, look at Brady, he hasn't won a playoff game in three years, yet he's never had the targets turned on him. Rodgers has won one set of playoff games, and ... what's that? Yeah, Ben won his first Super Bowl by being the #6 seed on the road as well. Grant it, he had the worst statistical game a QB has ever had in SB history, but he got the W. Rodgers is good, but he still has more to prove. Ben's only human, and he's carried this team and fans on his back plenty enough times as it is over recent years with these 2 minute drives. The man is good.

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 12:41 AM

An offensive line that actually blocks defenders so the QB can set and throw?

I think this guy's on to something!

As I recall, back in '05 we had a pretty decent O-line and Ben was considered a pocket passer with great scrambling ability.

Today we think of Ben as a scrambler who could be a great pocket passer because our O-line couldn't stop a squad of angry Girl Scouts.

So is something wrong with Ben?
Or is something wrong with the five guys in front of him?

Hmmm...

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 12:49 AM
:iagree:

Now a days he just running for his life. But he did have time to throw the ball yesterday...who knows!

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 01:09 AM
:iagree:

Now a days he just running for his life. But he did have time to throw the ball yesterday...who knows!

And that's what's freaking me out.

The O-line actually looked good, but I think there's a little more to it than that.

We're not the only ones who know that Ben plays better when he's moving around, so who's to say that the Packers didn't back off a bit and actually kept him in the pocket?

Think about it, it's easier for their secondary to defend against a stationary Ben than it is to defend against a moving Ben, so why force him to move if you don't have to?

The other side of that coin is that Ben has gotten so used to being chased around that if it really was a case of the O-line just playing better, maybe it freaked HIM out a little and actually made him feel strange.

Whatever the reason, Ben did not look comfortable at all in that game.