PDA

View Full Version : Wally couldn't come through like Santonio did

steelers33
02-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Well what can you say after watching replay after replay of that final pass play that was an easily catchable ball. It was not an easy catch but Wallace HAS to make that catch. Santonio made a tough catch in the EZ as we all have known. Our receivers inexperience came through in prime time. The play before that Wallace looked completely lost and precious time burned off the clock. I doubt that was Ben in a pressure situation like that, our receivers just shit the bed there. I really wished we would of had Santonio in those moments as much as I hate to say it.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I did see this coming, I was wondering if anybody was going to bring it up. I feel pretty much the same way. I don't know enough about football to completely agree with you though, I might be wrong.

It did seem like none of our receivers were getting anything done last night. Even with Woodson out and Shields hurt, we never got the passing game going.

CargoJon
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
The whole damned offense looked disorganized on that last "drive". I thought I was watching the Eagles for a moment there.

The Curtain's Crusader
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I understand what you're saying but Holmes dropped plenty of passes too. Remember the one in the endzone that he whiffed on right before "the catch" in XLIII? I'll take Wallace's upside over Holmes and all his crap any day.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
eh I don't see Wallace being in a Steelers uniform for long term.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Do you think he's going to sign a big deal with another team when his contract runs up? I wouldn't really surprise me, we don't keep big time receivers for long. But that's because we've always had Ward, one of the greats. His career is going to be ending in the next few years, I think the Steelers might try to hang on to Wallace.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Just curious as to why you do not see Wallace in a Steelers uniform long-term? I have my own opinions on the matter..

quiggle
yes, maybe similar along the lines like when Parker left.

CargoJon

You're right, maybe we can get Yancy Thigpen back. :doh:

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Well what can you say after watching replay after replay of that final pass play that was an easily catchable ball. It was not an easy catch but Wallace HAS to make that catch. Santonio made a tough catch in the EZ as we all have known. Our receivers inexperience came through in prime time. The play before that Wallace looked completely lost and precious time burned off the clock. I doubt that was Ben in a pressure situation like that, our receivers just shit the bed there. I really wished we would of had Santonio in those moments as much as I hate to say it.

I think we tried too many 10-20 yard routes. You have to say Santonio ran some beautiful routes. I think our inexperience at the WR position really hurt us last night. Our receivers did not make the necessary adjustments.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2011, 10:43 AM
quiggle: you dont see wallace in a steeler uniform for to long?lol

Parker left because he broke his leg and someone else stepped in and parker became a casualty, just like Smith has now become. Perhaps you need to buy a clue, as you seemed to have misplaced yours, lol

TRH
02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
that was a hard catch to make. We should have went for an easier, shorter pass completion. It was a dumb call, amongst many dumb calls.
That said....Santonio, for all his great catches, drops ALOT of balls as well.....so there's not guarantee he makes tha one either

pete74
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
that was an extremly tough catch to make. that ball shouldnt of been thrown there and if it had to be then a better pass would of been nice

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Who cares whether Santonio would have caught the ball or not, he plays for the Jets. If we kept him we would've lost him in free agency and we wouldn't have drafted Sanders or Brown or both. We are better off with out Santonio.

steelers33
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Who cares whether Santonio would have caught the ball or not, he plays for the Jets. If we kept him we would've lost him in free agency and we wouldn't have drafted Sanders or Brown or both. We are better off with out Santonio.

Yes we are, but that is not the point. The point is Wallace's inexperience showed while Santonio's experience showed in similar situations to win the Super Bowl.

mcg24
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Wallace had a fantastic game. Anyone who blames this on him is not thinking straight. Roethlisberger missed him multiple times.

KordellO'Donnell
02-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Well we wont get Holmes back and besides his off field behavior is too bad to be a part of the organization. Just ask Ben:tt03:

SteelerEmpire
02-07-2011, 11:45 AM
We "only" needed 5 yds for the 1st down... WHY Ben chose to throw to Wallace, who was DOUBLE COVERED and way beyond the 5 we needed, is just another mistake by Ben last nite...

Wallace108
02-07-2011, 11:45 AM
This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be about. :wink02:

Wallace had a fantastic game. Anyone who blames this on him is not thinking straight. Roethlisberger missed him multiple times.

Bingo, mcg. Wallace would have had two more TDs if Ben hadn't gotten hit on the one throw and threw it outside instead of inside on another. Wallace played well, and I highly doubt the outcome would have been any different if we had Santonio instead. :noidea:

SteelHaven
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Lame thread.

There were mistakes made by everyone. You can't pin this on one play or one guy. We had numerous chances to turn our fortunes

tube517
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Cut Wallace...he's overrated..........:chuckle:

sexyllama
02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Seriously?

This game came down to the QB's and ours was just out-of-synch. Ben kept forcing throws into DOUBLE COVERAGE just to get the ball to Wallace.

The O-line did incredible... how much pressure did you see on Ben? He was just off and on all night. The Interception-for-TD should have never been thrown...He can see pressure in front. Checkdown was wide open and Ben once again goes for 25+ pass.

I hope you have the game DVR'd, if you do go back to the 2:00 sequence. Look at the the 3 and 5 then 4th and 5.

3rd/5: Ben throws a 20 yard pass into double coverage. If you watch closely the RB is WIDE OPEN WITH NOBODY NEAR HIM FOR 10-15 YARDS

4th/5: Ben throws into Double coverage when he had HEATH MILLER WIDE OPEN on the out route.

It's a team game. We lost to a better team, we had 3 TO's for 21 points. We even had a chance with 2:00 left. Ben was just off the whole Playoffs. He only showed up 1/2 of each game.

It happens just not our year.

Go Steelers!

PS I'm someone who gets pissed when it's always our defense or somebody else (never the QB)

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Gerry Dulac from the P-G contends Wallace needs some signifcant work on his game

THE POSTSEASON CERTAINLY proved that wide receiver Mike Wallace still has a long way to go in his development, despite the numbers he posted in the regular season. I know he finished with seven catches for 78 yards and had a 25-yard touchdown against the Packers, but he showed he had problems gaining separation against good corners and doesnít play tough enough in the middle of the field.

The reason the Steelers kept throwing him those quick passes to the sideline was because thatís the only way they could get him the ball. Wallace canít get open, otherwise, unless he runs away from somebody. Thatís also why I though the loss of Emmanuel Sanders really hurt them. One of the things he does well is gain separation from defensive backs and get open, at least better than Wallace.

If you ask me, Roethlisbergerís second interception was as much Wallaceís fault because he had position on CB Jarrett Bush and should have caught the pass. At the very least, he could have made sure Bush didnít make the interception. But he ran a soft pattern and it cost the Steelers.

Opposing teams have figured this out, which is why he was such a non-factor in the postseason.

Why Roethlisbergerís final three passes were all directed at Wallace, and not Hines Ward or Heath Miller, their most dependable receivers, is beyond me.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

steelax04
02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Surprised someone hasn't pulled this one...

SWEEEEEED > Wallace

:chuckle:

SteelHaven
02-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Surprised someone hasn't pulled this one...

SWEEEEEED > Wallace

:chuckle:

Wallace couldn't catch a Sweed?

Pentheon
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM

That wasnt an easy catch, it was forced... if you watch that 3rd and 4th down again you'll notice mendenhall WIDE open for the check down and could have ran well passed the 1st down...4th dwn play spaeth or heath (didnt see the number) was wide open to get a first down as well.

I just wish we would learn to use our check downs more than forcing the ball.

PhantomJB93
02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't think Wallace has "it." "it" isn't a describable quality, it's just..."it." Wallace definitely has more physical talent, he's faster, he's taller, and in a pickup game he's probably a much better overall receiver. But he doesn't have "it," and Santoino did.

I hope this post actually makes sense to some people. :noidea:

sexyllama
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Exactly, Ben was forcing the ball with Wide Open 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.

I actually think that a new QB Coach would be in order. Why?

1. Ben doesn't to be getting to that next level *consistently* He has been out-of-synch since the start of the Playoffs.
2. He almost never uses the wide-open checkdown. Watch the SB and you'll see plenty of people WIDE OPEN in the middle 5-7 yard routes.
3. He keeps going for the TD pass when we need 3-5 yards. Maybe it's play design but he had guys wide open all night
4. He's won 2 out of 3 SB's so it's minor but I think he could be even better if he had a QB coach that WOULD PUSH him to be like Steve Young (which I actually think he has that kind of ability in terms of passing and mobility)

He is lights out when he reads the field and keeps moving the ball instead of all 20+ yard passes.

llama

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
The reason the Steelers kept throwing him those quick passes to the sideline was because thatís the only way they could get him the ball. Wallace canít get open, otherwise, unless he runs away from somebody. Thatís also why I though the loss of Emmanuel Sanders really hurt them. One of the things he does well is gain separation from defensive backs and get open, at least better than Wallace.

Wtf? Wallace was open quite a bit but Roethlisberger was not able to deliver. This happened a lot during the regular season so I'm not sure what the problem is...

Wallace not a long term Steeler? :doh:

Wallace is a stud. It was his second year and first post season. He'll get there.

sexyllama
02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Wallace doesn't have it?

They had Wallace bracketed most of the night:

1. The WR quick screen is because the CB's play off him 12 yards. Great play easy 5 yards every time.
2. If you notice every interception or blocked pass featured Wallace and TWO other defenders.
3. I'm not trying to be mean or an ass but watch the tape. We had WIDE open guys sitting 5-10 yards in the middle all day. Ben just kept throwing 20+ yard passes.

Look at Hines or Heath on most of the plays... wide open and single coverage.

llama

Wallace108
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
THE POSTSEASON CERTAINLY proved that wide receiver Mike Wallace still has a long way to go in his development,

OF COURSE he has a long way to go in his development. He's been in the league only two years. Think back to Santonio's second season ... Wallace is A LOT farther along in his development than Santonio was. And Wallace is only going to get better. :tt03:

sexyllama
02-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Agreed. Wallace is a stud.

Forgot to mention the underthrown ball where Woodson got hurt (Wallace had three yards on the guy coming out of the break and had to slow down)

Then the overthrown ball when Wallace had 5-6 yards near the endzone.

Ben has Hines, Heath, and checkdown RB that he did not use consistently. Also, Wallace was getting the safety rotation over-the-top.

llama

chibucks
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
is the espn box score correct in that he was targeted 16 times? wow...

tube517
02-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Santonio would've been in the piano bar throwing glasses at the waitress and getting high in the back room.

NoShootouts
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Wallace is a stud

he's just not a #1 WR

MillerMania83
02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
WOW, can't really believe some people are saying this about Mike Wallace....#17 IS A STUD, and will be for a long time in this league....IT'S ONLY his 2nd year, PLEASE....As it was mentioned, at this point in his career he IS def farther along than Santonio was....Plus, it seems so far, we don't have to worry about getting up in the morning at reading about #17 in the police blotter, lol, kid seems to really have his head on straight and only wants to get better....Our WR's have a HUGE upside and a super bright future ahead of them....They are young, need to be taught, it takes time....Hopefully when #86 is done playin' on the field, he'll be on the sidelines teaching, like he's doing now while still playing at a high level IMO, #86 is almost ALWAYS CLUTCH....Thats why so many are wonderin' WTF happened that last drive....#17 is young, INCREDIBLE, but young, should have been lookin' for #86 or #83, or even #82, as ARE showed up yesterday and had that fire in his eyes that I wish most of the team would have had.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I was just reading this local article where the writer blames it on Ben for the Steelers losing yesterday because had he never gotten into his sexual assault incident, the Steelers might not have traded Holmes due to his incidents, but coupled with Ben's shenanigans they had to send a message out. That would have been nice to see another two minute drive last night with Ben and Holmes, but oh well.

Eztarget
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM

This is silly. Wallace is great for other reasons but he's not your clutch drive catch type of guy (yet). If Ben leads him to the outside on that play in the 3rd quarter we would have been up 24-21 at that point. Ben missed him horribly and he was WIDE open.

I agree with the OP and have been saying this in other threads. Keeping Ben and trading Holmes was a bit of hypocrisy .

To me Holmes would have made some of those big drive continuing catches that Wallace was dropping yesterday and has to power to at least break some tackles on a bubble screen (which we suddenly seemed to LOVE yesterday). But like others have said why were Ward and Miller not your target when you really needed a catch? Ward and Miller have been there done that MANY times. That whole last drive was pathetic from the get go. Wasting two Timeouts earlier KILLED us there.

We should have kept Holmes this year and let him walk when his contract was up. That way Sanders, Brown and Wallace would have had a year to learn from him.

Oh well as bad as we played we were STILL in it with 2 minutes left and that alone was amazing because we did play REALLY bad all game.

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
We should have kept Holmes this year and let him walk when his contract was up. That way Sanders, Brown and Wallace would have had a year to learn from him.

The Steelers wouldn't have drafted Sanders and Brown if they didn't let Holmes go.

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Trading Holmes is the one thing about this organization that I have to take issue with.

I thought it was a bad idea when they did it and I still do.

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Holmes would have been gone after this year, anyways, so I don't see a problem with the trade. I'll take the future of Sanders/Brown over Holmes this past year.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
yesterday when we were watching the game and they showed the profile pics of the players my friend's child asked her why was Wallace wearing a Hershey Kiss on top of his head?

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Wallace is not as complete a reciever as Holmes is...Someday he is still learning

spro
02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Wish it had been thrown to Randle El. He seemed more ready in the SBowl.

therocksteeler
02-07-2011, 05:42 PM
2010 Route Running Rec:
-Holmes
-Ward
-Miller

~Wallace is more of a slant or hitch n go receiver, catching most of his passes over the shoulder. The Pack last night covered us well with their backs. However our route running receptions by Ward, Miller and Randle El kept us close and moving down the feild. I do wish we had Holmes last night due to one simple fact. Holmes was amazing at coming back to Ben and getting open after the route and play had broken down causing Ben to scramble. Kinda makes we wish the Steeler Organization would have extended to Holmes an olive branch in order to give hime the chance to change. Then again his actions in off season just simply broke the camels back.

At any rate...I agree with Hines Ward's comments last night, "We'll be back!"

:coffee:

mcg24
02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
It's a shame that people need a scapegoat for every single game we lose. The simple fact is the Steelers were not as good of a team as the Packers last night.

If you need a player to blame for anything, blame Keyaron Fox. Don't blame players who had great games like Wallace, that's just ridiculous.

SteelCityScotty
02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Exactly, Ben was forcing the ball with Wide Open 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.

I actually think that a new QB Coach would be in order. Why?

1. Ben doesn't to be getting to that next level *consistently* He has been out-of-synch since the start of the Playoffs.
2. He almost never uses the wide-open checkdown. Watch the SB and you'll see plenty of people WIDE OPEN in the middle 5-7 yard routes.
3. He keeps going for the TD pass when we need 3-5 yards. Maybe it's play design but he had guys wide open all night
4. He's won 2 out of 3 SB's so it's minor but I think he could be even better if he had a QB coach that WOULD PUSH him to be like Steve Young (which I actually think he has that kind of ability in terms of passing and mobility)

He is lights out when he reads the field and keeps moving the ball instead of all 20+ yard passes.

llama

This may be a crazy idea, and he might not be qualified for the position at all, but does anyone think Charlie Batch could slide into the role of QB coach for the Steelers? He's been around awhile, and his playing days should be winding down. But, as a longtime Steeler and "local boy" in Pittsburgh, it would be tough to just cut him after all these years.

Back-up QBs becoming successful coaches isn't a new idea (Gary Kubiak, Bill Musgrave, Doug Pederson). Plus, I would expect he already has a decent rapport with Big Ben.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
CUT WALLACE!!!!1!!!
/sarcasm

Really guys we're resulting to this.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 06:35 PM
This is silly. Wallace is great for other reasons but he's not your clutch drive catch type of guy (yet). If Ben leads him to the outside on that play in the 3rd quarter we would have been up 24-21 at that point. Ben missed him horribly and he was WIDE open..

After watching a replay of the game that missed throw is huge - when he threw the ball there was nobody within 5 yards of Roethlisberger (Matthews had blitzed but then followed the back out in coverage) - Ban had all sorts of time to take get set and throw it outside to the pylon

I think the Packers would have melted with a 21-0 Steelers run at that point

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
CUT WALLACE!!!!1!!!
/sarcasm

Really guys we're resulting to this.

His playoff performance did not come close to his regular season - 3 100 yard games to end the regular season raised expectations - he is a developing talent, but I thought the playoffs would result in Wallace being designated as the next great WR like Swann was after Super Bowl X in his second year

stb_steeler
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
2010 Route Running Rec:
-Holmes
-Ward
-Miller

~Wallace is more of a slant or hitch n go receiver, catching most of his passes over the shoulder. The Pack last night covered us well with their backs. However our route running receptions by Ward, Miller and Randle El kept us close and moving down the feild. I do wish we had Holmes last night due to one simple fact. Holmes was amazing at coming back to Ben and getting open after the route and play had broken down causing Ben to scramble. Kinda makes we wish the Steeler Organization would have extended to Holmes an olive branch in order to give hime the chance to change. Then again his actions in off season just simply broke the camels back.

At any rate...I agree with Hines Ward's comments last night, "We'll be back!"

:coffee:

Well hang in there....The Steelers are known for bringing back players. didnt Holmes only get a one year deal in New York?

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Well hang in there....The Steelers are known for bringing back players. didnt Holmes only get a one year deal in New York?

No room for Tone - Steelers are bringing Burress back:chuckle:

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
His playoff performance did not come close to his regular season - 3 100 yard games to end the regular season raised expectations - he is a developing talent, but I thought the playoffs would result in Wallace being designated as the next great WR like Swann was after Super Bowl X in his second year

He was under/overthrown so many times. And that one throw where Charles Woodson broke his collarbone afterward, he had excellent coverage. Remember Wallace is still in his 2nd year. Luckily you guys are not part of the FO.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
that would be awesome to bring back Plax and Holmes, pipe dream though.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
He was under/overthrown so many times. And that one throw where Charles Woodson broke his collarbone afterward, he had excellent coverage. Remember Wallace is still in his 2nd year. Luckily you guys are not part of the FO.

I certainly am not saying cut him or that he is Limas Sweed with a lower uniform number; i think he is the Steelers best big play receiver since John Stallworth

I am noting that for whatever reason his success in the playoffs (where reputations are made - it is why Swann & Stallowrth are in Canton) did not match his regular season - as far as being glad I am not in the FO, I doubt Dulac from the P-G claimed Wallace could not gain separation from playoff DBs based solely on what Dulac saw from the press box - my guess is for whatever reason (Arians trying to justify all the bubble screen calls?) Dulac has some sources with the Steelers for that observation

mcg24
02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
that would be awesome to bring back Plax and Holmes, pipe dream though.

No it wouldn't. We are a class organization, not the Bengals.

quiggle
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
go be class with the community, this is about winning now. all costs.

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
go be class with the community, this is about winning now. all costs.

Yes because "me me me" = winning :thumbsup:

Velvet Elvis
02-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Gimme a freaking break. Ben couldnt hit the broadside of a barn yesterday. His accuracy was pathetic, and you want to blame Wallace ?? GET REAL DUDE. Easily catch-able you say? Thats a joke, he was double covered and was at the height of his jump and it barely hit his fingers. Get a clue and come to reality that Ben is the one who shit the bed !!!!!!!!

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
ben was the one who missed a lot of throws with the WR wide open. twice he failed to connect on bombs to wallace when he had 2 or more steps on a db

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I think Miller or Ward should have targeted on that play, but losing Sanders was huge. You might not say, but he is crucial on 3rd downs.

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I think Miller or Ward should have targeted on that play, but losing Sanders was huge. You might not say, but he is crucial on 3rd downs.

yeah true that. i had a bad feeling about the game when sanders went down. toward the end of the season he started being one of ben's go to guys when they need a key 1st down picked up.

Lord of Lombardi
02-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Can I have some of what you're smoking so I can forget all about reality. Wallace is not why we lost the game last night. He is probably last in line to blame the loss on.
Ben, Mendenhall, every DB especially GAY should be first in line.

Please don't ever run our team.

ZoneBlitzer
02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
This is what happens when you let a Super Bowl MVP walk away on the cheap. There can be no doubt that he was a go-to guy for Ben. I could see last night's result coming from a mile away. Wallace is a work in progress and the others show promise but they are just not there, yet.

figg
02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
On playbook they showed the last drive and how Wallace wasnt running his routes full speed. They think Wallace wasnt sure of what he was doing. That last play was a horrid route by him. Hopefully he continues to get better.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
On playbook they showed the last drive and how Wallace wasnt running his routes full speed. They think Wallace wasnt sure of what he was doing. That last play was a horrid route by him. Hopefully he continues to get better.

Considering how Mendy had 2 guys on him, if I was Ben I wouldn't have thrown it. But that's Ben. Imagine in Super Bowl 43. What if the pass to Holmes was intercepted? Ben would probably get a lot more heat than right now.

figg
02-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Considering how Mendy had 2 guys on him, if I was Ben I wouldn't have thrown it. But that's Ben. Imagine in Super Bowl 43. What if the pass to Holmes was intercepted? Ben would probably get a lot more heat than right now.

On the int to Bush he had Miller wide open for a possible td.

steelers33
02-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Can I have some of what you're smoking so I can forget all about reality. Wallace is not why we lost the game last night. He is probably last in line to blame the loss on.
Ben, Mendenhall, every DB especially GAY should be first in line.

Please don't ever run our team.

That's not the point of the thread idiot, the point was Wally's inexperience in route running and his inability to make the tough catch in the end is what hurt us. The point was saying Santonio's experience won us SB 43 while Wally simply could not match that.

BehindSteelCurtain
02-07-2011, 11:03 PM
99 Catches for over 2,000 yards and 16 TDs in 2 seasons in the NFL is impressive

xli...
02-08-2011, 12:02 AM

I'm sure his ass would have been traded with Holmes last off season.

Wallace108
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
That's not the point of the thread idiot, the point was Wally's inexperience in route running and his inability to make the tough catch in the end is what hurt us. The point was saying Santonio's experience won us SB 43 while Wally simply could not match that.

Are you serious? Wallace was open and the ball got there late. That allowed the DB to close in and get a hand on the ball. Watch the play again.

You're criticizing Wallace's route running, but how many times was he open and Ben failed to get him the ball? :noidea:

I'm not knocking Ben, but it is what it is.

figg
02-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Are you serious? Wallace was open and the ball got there late. That allowed the DB to close in and get a hand on the ball. Watch the play again.

You're criticizing Wallace's route running, but how many times was he open and Ben failed to get him the ball? :noidea:

I'm not knocking Ben, but it is what it is.

He ran a shit route. They showed him and Ward coming off the snap and they were running stride for stride. Unless Wallace had a leg injury there is no excuse for that.

Wallace108
02-08-2011, 12:30 AM
He ran a shit route. They showed him and Ward coming off the snap and they were running stride for stride. Unless Wallace had a leg injury there is no excuse for that.

A shit route? :doh:
He got open in between two defenders. Had the ball been thrown earlier, it would have been a catch and a first down. But the ball was thrown high and late, which allowed the DB to make a play on it. And this is Wallace's fault? :noidea:

MACH1
02-08-2011, 12:34 AM
his inability to make the tough catch in the end is what hurt us.

And all this time I thought it was the 21 points off turn overs. :doh:

figg
02-08-2011, 12:46 AM
A shit route? :doh:
He got open in between two defenders. Had the ball been thrown earlier, it would have been a catch and a first down. But the ball was thrown high and late, which allowed the DB to make a play on it. And this is Wallace's fault? :noidea:

There was no seperation trust me. They showed it on playbook. They crushed him.

Wallace108
02-08-2011, 12:52 AM
There was no seperation trust me. They showed it on playbook. They crushed him.

I just watched the play about 5 times in a row. There was separation. Had the ball gotten there sooner, or if it had hit him between the numbers, that's a catch. For whatever reason, Ben was off all game. That was an easy throw to make. But like I said, it was high and late. I'm not sure what else I can say.

figg
02-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I just watched the play about 5 times in a row. There was separation. Had the ball gotten there sooner, or if it had hit him between the numbers, that's a catch. For whatever reason, Ben was off all game. That was an easy throw to make. But like I said, it was high and late. I'm not sure what else I can say.

Did you watch playbook? BTW i'm not giving Ben a pass just calling it the way I see it. They showed the play from different angles. He wasnt running full speed.

Wallace108
02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Did you watch playbook? BTW i'm not giving Ben a pass just calling it the way I see it. They showed the play from different angles. He wasnt running full speed.

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant ... what's playbook?

Are you talking about on NFL.com? If so, I don't go there much. :noidea:

figg
02-08-2011, 01:26 AM
At the risk of sounding completely ignorant ... what's playbook?

Are you talking about on NFL.com? If so, I don't go there much. :noidea:

It's a show on NFL Network. They break down game tape. They showed the side view of the play and were crushing Wallace for not running full speed and a bad route.

Wallace108
02-08-2011, 01:32 AM
It's a show on NFL Network. They break down game tape. They showed the side view of the play and were crushing Wallace for not running full speed and a bad route.

My cable company doesn't offer NFL Network. :doh:
If there's nowhere to view it online, I'll have to take your word for it.

scsteeler
02-08-2011, 02:04 AM

I don't think Holmes would have made that catch. The Ball was a little high in which it had to be and coverage was good on that play.

It was Bad choice by Ben. Heath Miller was open for the first and Wallace was in a sense double covered. I know I am going to get it for saying that but Ben made some Bad choices on a lot of drives where he had Miller open and decided to go for the Big Play.

Steelers>NFL
02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Santonio was not all-pro his second season in the league. Jeez people.

Lord of Lombardi
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM

When did you change the point of the thread to "You're an ass to blame Wally?" Ben over threw ALL DAY LONG. Ben missed wide open receivers early and often and never got on track until it was too late. He did not look like the 2 time super bowl winning QB that he is. You think Wallace hurt us with that last incompletion? You sound just like a Ratbird fan complaining about TJ or Boldin? They have a legitimate complaint. You..... are lost. Ben was slow on that pass and his zip was zero. Like your point! That last pass is 25th on a list of 25 reasons why we lost the game. Santokio could've gone down as one of the best WR's ever, instead he will be known for the most illegitimate kids coast to coast. His time was limited in this organization. How can your ass compare Ben putting the ball "on target" to Tokio to what he produced last Sunday? You can't. Over throws since the first drive. Ben was not ready to win this past Sunday. His year caught up with him. If his candy arm was able to hit Wally in stride these past two years, Santokio's legacy would be old news. He belongs in the same league as Plaxico dropico "Thats how you be great" Most embarrassing individual MVP award in Steeler history for such a team sport.
Learn this, Wallace is already 10 times the player Toker is. If you can't see that you don't belong routing for the Steelers or the Rooneys

tube517
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Sandoobio made it to the HOF??

SteelCityMom
02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Sandoobio made it to the HOF??

He's making a bid for the Stoner Hall of Fame. :chuckle:

http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/attachments/general-discussion/4701d1216632945-stoner-survey-.jpg

JEFF4i
02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
All the team didn't perform like '08 did.

/thread

bornaSteelersfan
02-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Wally is far superior to Holmes. Santonio is a punk, stoner, glass thrower. He probably wouldn't have been able to play because he would have gotten arrested in Dallas for some crap. The last play was called properly, but Ben was slow to throw and off the mark. Poor execution and really uncatchable.

TRH
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
All the team didn't perform like '08 did.

/thread

boy, you can say that AGAIN.

zulater
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
In Santonio's second season he wasn't anywhere near the weapon that Wallace was in his second season. There's a maturation proccess, this was Wallace's first year as a starter, he lost time with Ben because of the suspension. All in all I would say that Wallace is among the best young talents in the league, and as far as we know he doesn't come with any unwanted baggage, so I sure as hell can't see why anyone would take a shot at him?

Third Rail
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I like Wallace but I found him pretty worthless in the Super Bowl, other than that one TD. All I ever hear about is his amazing speed, but it didn't seem to help him get over the line of scrimmage very often. And as for the people always complaining about Ben underthrowing him... well, maybe that's because when he doesn't underthrow him, wally doesn't catch up to it. He should have caught that one surefire TD pass in the 3rd quarter. Don't give me the "Ben just overthrew him" crap. It was a simple shot to the end zone. He pulled that crap the first time we played the Jets, too. I'm starting to think that if he makes the slightest contact with a corner or safety, you can forget about him making a catch because his attention will be too focus on looking for a flag.

He needs to get there faster. But he didn't, and Tomlin made the boneheaded decision to let Suisham try a 52-yard field goal, possibly his second worst decision of the night (the first being using up two timeouts while there was still, what? 20 minutes to play?)

I will say this for Wallace, though. He played as well as the rest of the team on Sunday.

steelax04
02-09-2011, 03:30 PM
you can forget about him making a catch because his attention will be too focus on looking for a flag.

Not according to this thread...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70351

Seems like Wallace can't catch up to the ball OR act enough to get a flag. :doh: