PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers, What Now? Steelers Must Retool for a Return To Title Game

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Slideshow analysis of what is next - excerpts below

Unlikely to Return:
Keyaron Fox, Flozell Adams, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Shaun Suisham, Jeremy Kapinos...

Possibly Due for Replacement:
Trai Essex, Willie Colon, Bryant McFadden, William Gay...

Coaching Changes
He may have had a good overall season, but this was likely the final year in Pittsburgh for Bruce Arians. (this may just be wishful thinking by the author of this article)

New Philosophies
The Steelers need to find and commit to an offensive philosophy. Part of that will be helped by a new coordinator who will, hopefully, have a definite idea of what to do with this offense...
Defensively, the Steelers need to abandon their late game prevent packages and need to re-evaluate how they play with a lead.
Too often, Pittsburgh's defense bent once they had a lead. They didn't surrender games the way they did in 2009, but the potential was clearly there for problems. Another year older and slower, and this defense might be in trouble. You can't be lucky all of the time.

Utilize the Draft
Colbert needs a couple of deep drafts to infuse this team with talent again. The Steelers are, in reality, starting to age. Most of their superstar players are thirty or above. Several are starting to become injury prone as well. It's time to start looking at the future.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/599749-pittsburgh-steelers-what-now-steelers-must-retool-for-a-return-to-title-game#page/4

ebsteelers
02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
is batch really going to retire? he does nothing besides hold a clipboard... i could see leftwich gone and dixon as number 2... wont keep 4 quarterbacks obviously.. need upgrade at special teams... kicker (sushiam what the hell was that)... and if spueleva could stay healthy would be good

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
i cant see why suisham wouldnt return and atleast compete in camp. we have an option year for flozell. gotta keep either him or colon. the line is too thin to let both walk.

steelax04
02-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I was actually going to start a thread on this. Are the Steelers due for a few "rebuilding" years? I know they don't do wholesale rebuilding, but I'm talking about a few 9-7 seasons to bring in some new talent and get the team ready for a 'Team of the Decade' type of run.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, as 'The Standard is the Standard' and I expect a SB win every year, but a couple sub-par years might be a necessary evil.

ggoldman
02-07-2011, 12:19 PM
first things first, and thats keeping Ike and LaMarr, they are too valuable to our D to let them walk

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I think one downfall of Arians is he refuses to use a fullback. That's great, but stick to it then. David Johnson is in there too much...he's NOT a fullback, and he is only mediocre at best. If you insist on running these plays that use a fullback-type player so often, then dump Johnson and get a bona-fide Dan Kreider-like fullback! Johnson had a CRUCIAL false start penalty early when it was still 0-0. The Steelers were driving, things were looking good, then on a 2nd and 2, the drive stalls with that bone-headed penalty.

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I like Gay as a nickel back. I know he got beat by Nelson once, but no one in pass coverage looked great (or that good) last night. Gay had a pretty big play on 3rd by breaking up that pass that was challenged and confirmed incomplete. Huge f.ucking play right there.

I agree with Tony, Suisham should compete don't see why not.

TRH
02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
We will probably go down in history as one of the teams with THE most work to do for the next year. Tomlin has a monumental task ahead. It was a miraculous achievement that we made it as far as we did this year....we never should have.
We will never get this far next year with a non-producing offense, a "swiss-cheese" like defense against the pass, below avg special teams, and many of the coaching blunders made along the way.

Tomlin will probably rest today and get started with the whole process tomorrow if he hasn't already. ALOT to do. Arians will be back for sure...highly unlikely they'd fire him after a trip to the SB.

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I like Gay as a nickel back. I know he got beat by Nelson once, but no one in pass coverage looked great (or that good) last night. Gay had a pretty big play on 3rd by breaking up that pass that was challenged and confirmed incomplete. Huge f.ucking play right there.

I agree with Tony, Suisham should compete don't see why not.

Yeah, I agree. They just need some depth at corner, because I don't thing Madison quite cuts it, but if they get a solid young player in there as the 4th corner to learn and develop (who knows, maybe Butler is that player and will see an increased role next year) , they'll be set. They need to lock up Ike, though.

People need to understand that cutting a million players just because they had a bad game isn't good for confidence and morale at all. Long term, Gay is a great option at nickel.

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I agree. They just need some depth at corner, because I don't thing Madison quite cuts it, but if they get a solid young player in there as the 4th corner to learn and develop (who knows, maybe Butler is that player and will see an increased role next year) , they'll be set. They need to lock up Ike, though.

People need to understand that cutting a million players just because they had a bad game isn't good for confidence and morale at all. Long term, Gay is a great option at nickel.

Yeah. Locking up Ike is a must.:tt03:

PhantomJB93
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
We need a first round cornerback. We need one. I don't think I can take it anymore, our front seven can only make up for our completely inept secondary so many times. We can survive without another first round olineman or dlineman, we're just built that way. But I just can't take another year of Mcfadden and Gay's bull$hit.

I don't get why some people think these middle round scrub CBs are gonna cut it, history shows they don't. Yeah, every so often you find a diamond in the rough, but go through the last decade and literally almost EVERY notable CB has been a first round prospect. I mean, seriously, thta's not even an exxageration, the ratio is like 10good first round CBs to every one good middle round CB.

Pentheon
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
The main people id like to see replaced is mcfadden n gay....mcfadden constantly gets beat, and I always thought gay was too soft...he seems scared to tackle and his coverage isnt that great. Oh yea also get rid of mundy, we could use a better backup safety. His awareness is terrible, everytime I see him play he ALWAYS has his back turned to the ball and never even once takes a look

other than that fix our o line up and get ben a little more time or learn to use our check downs, receivers arent gonna be open every play.

thumper
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I think one downfall of Arians is he refuses to use a fullback. That's great, but stick to it then. David Johnson is in there too much...he's NOT a fullback, and he is only mediocre at best. If you insist on running these plays that use a fullback-type player so often, then dump Johnson and get a bona-fide Dan Kreider-like fullback! Johnson had a CRUCIAL false start penalty early when it was still 0-0. The Steelers were driving, things were looking good, then on a 2nd and 2, the drive stalls with that bone-headed penalty.

:thumbsup:

ggoldman
02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Crezdon has the size and speed, but hes just raw right now. maybe he will make the jump in his second year like so many of our players do.

ebsteelers
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
hopefully bulter could step in, they need someone who can jam at the line mcfadden playing 10 yards off is getting old, gay is good at blitzing, if butler could step up thatd be huge, keep madison for special teams..

anyone think we trade back in the draft, gaining more picks for next year and future years.. it'll help get the team younger quicker

ggoldman
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
only if there's no one worth it in the first round. I think we trade back in the 2nd round, like when we got Mike Wallace, but go DB instead of WR

tube517
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Fire Tomlin. he sucks (sarcasm) :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I was actually going to start a thread on this. Are the Steelers due for a few "rebuilding" years? I know they don't do wholesale rebuilding, but I'm talking about a few 9-7 seasons to bring in some new talent and get the team ready for a 'Team of the Decade' type of run.

With a QB whom I believe will improve next season (with the trouble he brought on himself it appeared to me he was emotionally beaten down by the time the playoffs arrived and that his foot never healed) and is in his prime barring catstrophic injury the Steelers should be competitive on offense for several more years, at least insofar as talent is concerned.

The D is in for major rework with so many players over 30 (A. Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Hoke, Farrior, Harrison, Taylor, Clark), an obvious problem with the McFadden/Gay CB position, and Troy ending the season with another major injury that clearly impacted his effectiveness, perhaps permanently.

It has been a great 7 year run since 2004 but nothing lasts forever.

figg
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
With a QB whom I believe will improve next season (with the trouble he brought on himself it appeared to me he was emotionally beaten down by the time the playoffs arrived and that his foot never healed) and is in his prime barring catstrophic injury the Steelers should be competitive on offense for several more years, at least insofar as talent is concerned.

The D is in for major rework with so many players over 30 (A. Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Hoke, Farrior, Harrison, Taylor, Clark), an obvious problem with the McFadden/Gay CB position, and Troy ending the season with another major injury that clearly impacted his effectiveness, perhaps permanently.

It has been a great 7 year run since 2004 but nothing lasts forever.

:thumbsup:

Best DB available in the draft!

MACH1
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
We will probably go down in history as one of the teams with THE most work to do for the next year. Tomlin has a monumental task ahead. It was a miraculous achievement that we made it as far as we did this year....we never should have.
We will never get this far next year with a non-producing offense, a "swiss-cheese" like defense against the pass, below avg special teams, and many of the coaching blunders made along the way.

Tomlin will probably rest today and get started with the whole process tomorrow if he hasn't already. ALOT to do. Arians will be back for sure...highly unlikely they'd fire him after a trip to the SB.

Don't need to fire him. His contract is up, just don't re-up it.

ggoldman
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Troy said he felt better than ever before, he was just avoided all post-season, and guessed wrong a few times in the super bowl

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 01:12 PM
yeah it seems troy was off his game, but I don't know if we can attribute that to an injury.

Cowher always seemed to have favorites who would make the team no matter what. I think Tomlin is completely different, and he makes each player earn their spot. We'll see if he shakes anything up this off-season. I don't think there will be any major changes this year though.

sign Ike and Woodley, try and get Starks and Colon. We'll see how this team develops through the next season.

kirklandrules
02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
The author of this blog doesn't know what he's talking about.

Unlikely to Return:
Keyaron Fox (best backup ILB on the team), Flozell Adams (see Colon below), Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich (I agree one of these QBs will probably be gone), Shaun Suisham (I'm thinking he's well like by coaches and players and sure did well kicking the ball), Jeremy Kapinos...

Trai Essex, Willie Colon (money won't be the issue with Willie's failure to make it back next year ... his injury is tough to overcome), Bryant McFadden (he'll be back), William Gay (sorry folks, but you'll see Willie back as well)...

Coaching Changes
He may have had a good overall season, but this was likely the final year in Pittsburgh for Bruce Arians. (this may just be wishful thinking by the author of this article) (I wouldn't cry over Arians going bye-bye, but I'm not holding my breath that they actually get rid of him).

ggoldman
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Unlikely to Return:
Keyaron Fox (best backup ILB on the team), Flozell Adams (see Colon below), Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich (I agree one of these QBs will probably be gone), Shaun Suisham (I'm thinking he's well like by coaches and players and sure did well kicking the ball), Jeremy Kapinos...

Trai Essex, Willie Colon (money won't be the issue with Willie's failure to make it back next year ... his injury is tough to overcome), Bryant McFadden (he'll be back), William Gay (sorry folks, but you'll see Willie back as well)...

Coaching Changes
He may have had a good overall season, but this was likely the final year in Pittsburgh for Bruce Arians. (this may just be wishful thinking by the author of this article) (I wouldn't cry over Arians going bye-bye, but I'm not holding my breath that they actually get rid of him).

do you think we re-sign Sepulveda? he keeps getting hurt, but hes really good when healthy

Merchant
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Unlikely to Return:
Keyaron Fox (best backup ILB on the team),

Fox is gone. Mark my words. Too many IDIOTIC penalties on special teams on a unit where he's the captain.

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Farrior needs replaced he is just horrid in pass coverage!

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Farrior is a tremendous leader. You need leadership like his on defense. He still has a decent amount left in the tank, so maybe they can rotate a bit more with a younger player, or make Farrior a backup. But I say definitely keep him for his leadership alone.

TRH
02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
i think Fox will be made an example of and be gone. I'm sure he's been told countless times to NOT do this anymore. Yet he keeps doing it.

Farrior is a great leader....i'm not sure if he'll be here or not. If he is, i expect someone else out on the field instead and Farrior to be a "batch-like-clipboard-carrier" although he'll actually make it in the game for a couple plays.

Rotorhead
02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
We need to lose Gay, BMac was injured (could be a reason for the poor play in the playoffs) and still better than Gay. Gay is decent in the nickel, but that means he is the backup and every QB in the league starts salivating at the prospect of Gay being on a #2 WR. I think we have the option to pick and choose our line after all the injuries work themselves out. We definatley need a corner early in the draft. Then some youth in the Def. While I don't like BA I don't think he called a bad game, but dammit get a FB already! We really don't have much work IMHO.

BKAnthem
02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Mcfadden and Gay need to go...they need cover corners when the game is on the line to take away QB's primary Options and give the Blitz time to be effective...this Zone shit is exactly that...shit....

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 04:27 PM

I have no idea why he was on Jennings but that was the only play he looked terrible... and then on the (I think) other Jennings TD there seemed to be some miscommunication between him or Troy. :noidea:

I think Farrior has one year left in the tank, though. He played great the entire season.

Buddha Bus
02-07-2011, 05:05 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/2573152408_454e45a115.jpg

TORCH THIS TEAM! BURN THEM TO THE GROUND! Time to tear it all down and rebuild! Trade or cut everybody and fire every coach! They all suck!

Whoa! I guess I've got a touch of the "Reactionary Idiot Fever" that's going around. :chuckle:

Seriously, we just need to get our tackles back next year and stay healthy on the O-line. Maybe draft at least one O-lineman. I'd like to see Butler or Lewis step up and take a corner spot away from McFadden/Gay. Could they possibly be worse? Maybe pick up a top corner in free agency, though it's highly unlikely the FO will pay for them. Draft a safety to start grooming behind Troy and another D-lineman, preferably nose tackle. I'm hoping Sweed can get healthy and turn it around finally and we can cut El loose. Dwyer needs to step up and take Moore's spot.

We can definitely regroup and make another run next year. We have outstanding skill position players and can rework the defense a little to improve.