PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben and his motorcycle??

clevestinks
05-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Kellen tumbling over the bars, wasn`t that big of deal, but Ben makes me nervous.

Read on:

Roethlisberger to keep riding motorcycle

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (May 6, 2005) -- Despite Kellen Winslow 's accident and his own coach's admonition, Big Ben isn't hopping off his big bike just yet.

Ben Roethlisberger was lectured by Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the dangers of riding a motorcycle without a helmet -- as Roethlisberger has been spotted doing recently -- but the quarterback isn't ready to get off his $20,000 cycle.

"He talked about being a risk taker and I'm not really a risk taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said as the Steelers opened their minicamp. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet -- something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field -- Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

"Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet)," he said. "There's a law you've got to wear it in football."

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was surprised to hear the NFL offensive rookie of the year is taking such risks so soon after Winslow's accident. The Browns tight end, drafted five spots ahead of Roethlisberger last year, was injured May 1 when he flew off a newly purchased motorcycle after running into a parking lot curb.

"Some guys are real good on motorcycles and know what they're doing, but accidents happen," Porter said. "I can't knock the guy for doing it, but it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't own a bike because I don't trust them."

Porter occasionally gets on a Jet Ski, but he said that's different from steering a motorcycle through heavy traffic. Roethlisberger acknowledged many drivers become distracted when they see him riding, shouting or waving at him.

"If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds," Porter said. "I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated."

Of course, Roethlisberger was, too, as a rookie, going 13-0 during the Steelers' team-record 15-1 regular season before losing to New England in the AFC championship game.

The Steelers are understandably cautious about combining a first-round draft choice and a high-speed vehicle. Gabe Rivera, the defensive lineman they chose instead of quarterback Dan Marino in the 1983 draft, was paralyzed after wrecking his sports car midway through his rookie season and hasn't walked since.

Many NFL contracts prohibit engaging in dangerous activities, but Roethlisberger's deal apparently doesn't specifically ban motorcycle riding.

Cowher didn't criticize Roethlisberger's riding, but is visibly uneasy with it.

"I certainly don't condone that," Cowher said. "It (playing pro football) is a very small time in your life and you've got to be very careful -- you can see it documented with Kellen Winslow in Cleveland. There are choices and consequences ... not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with. You have control over them but once you make your decision, they control you."

Meanwhile, all players reported to the minicamp, the formal start to the final month of the Steelers' offseason workouts. Most players will remain in town through mid-June for "coaching sessions," daily workouts that technically are voluntary but usually are fully attended.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2005, 08:43 PM
OH man ben ... comon bro, wear that lid.. we like your head attached to your shoulders, not in pieces on the ground !!!! Man this really blows!! From one rider to another..Put that lid on ben!!

Remember, just because you can do something, doesnt mean you should!!

Prosdo
05-06-2005, 09:37 PM
It is his choice, but I don't like it. I would think after seeing the deal with a fellow nfl player he might change. I just don't think it's a smart move at all. But again he is right he is not required to, his decision. :(

AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
05-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I don't agree with Ben's decision either. But I can see why he would do it. I mean, hes a young guy, just out of college, and he wants to have some fun. But the last thing the Pittsburgh Steelers need is to hear that Ben Roethlisberger was in a motorcycle accident. :crying02: Ben is young and has an amazing future ahead of him, but if he doesn't keep his body in shape or if he continues to put his career or even his life in danger, his future will be short lived. Be Careful Ben!

~AllAmer~

P.S. Ben, just stick with golf, its safer!:yep:

ironcitychef
05-06-2005, 11:24 PM
I think Ben is different. Was he doing stunts in a parking lot, or is he just riding with a group across a highway? Unlike Winslow, I think Ben has his priorities in line.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-06-2005, 11:49 PM
one would think cowher will more talks w/ him about it, as will his agent and his team mates

clevestinks
05-07-2005, 05:30 AM
I understand that he will be careful. But I know from being on motorcycles, I worry more about drivers not paying attention to me, And I wouldn`t think of riding without a helmet especially in the city.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2005, 06:21 AM
The majority of accidents happen because someone in a cage (thats a car for u non-bike riding people ;) ) says they didnt see the motorcyclist; ie, turning left in front of them, cutting them off in a lane change, etc. It doesnt take much ben, trust me, Ive been there.

clevestinks
05-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Exactly right Blitz. My brother , PhyschoWard, just had a friend/coworker killed, two weeks ago, 19 years old. Woman driving her car never saw him. She was charged with failure to yield the right away.

Three years ago I was right behind my friend when a deer crossed in front of him on his Harley, he hit the deer went flying, i about shit, There is no doubt in my mind that his helmet saved his life. His helmet was a mess, he had a broken sternum and alot of bumps and bruises, but he was alive, because of the helmet. The funny thing was, he had been riding for 27 years at that point, and he owns 8 Harleys, but it was the first year that he has ever wore a helmet daily. And it saved his life. We laughed afterwards in the hospital, but it was one of the scariest things I`ve ever seen.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Ive also seen deer accidents first hand, and let me tell me you, when ur riding behind someone, and a deer runs out infront of them, and there's nothing u can do to avoid it, its about the scariest thing u can imagine, especially if ur moving alot a decent rate of speed. hell, it doesnt even take a deer, a rabbit or squirrel can cause a loss of control too, and man without a lid, damn, I dont even wanna imagine it happeneing to Ben. Seeing it first hand when I was riding and also when running ambulance was enough for me.

hardwork
05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Sorry Blitz, I didn't see this thread. Just delete my thread if you like.

hardwork
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
My closest friend growing up pulled two tours in Nam as a helicopter gunship pilot and came home without a scratch. Six months later, in the smoky mountains, he was hit while riding his bike. The driver of whatever hit him dragged him, and his bike, off the road and into the woods. Hit and run. Someone found him a few days later. He was in a coma, and remained that way until he died a couple of months after that.

Just a few weeks before Tom was hit, he had been riding up in the same mountains with a friend. The friend disappeared around a corner in front of him. When Tom made the corner there was his friend, married to a cement embankment. Dead. He to had been a helicopter pilot in Vietnam.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Thats awful work!! man!! where either of them wearing gear at all?

hardwork
05-08-2005, 08:14 AM
The short answer to that Blitz is I don't know. This was in 1970, so probably not much. I have no doubt they were pushing the envolope, but still, as you say, awful.

bigbensgirl7
05-08-2005, 09:10 AM
one would think cowher will more talks w/ him about it, as will his agent and his team mates
His agent seems to think there is nothing wrong with it. He says that Ben is careful and has his career first when riding it. He also said that Big Ben has a license to ride and Winslow didn't. However, accidents can happen to anyone, and I just hope it doesn't happen to Ben...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Prosdo
05-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Damn hardwork thats nuts. I say put the helmet on make everyone happy and more importantly protect yourself.

clevestinks
05-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Thats one hell of a story Hardwork, life just isn`t fair sometime. To make it home from war, and to die that soon after, especially hit and run. Tragic! Don`t know what else to say?

ironcitychef
05-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I don't know why I'm not as fired up about all this as you all are. I have never rode a bike, but I just don't see it. When Aaron Boone busted his leg playing basketball no one was concerned about the Steelers playing charity games. If its going to happen, it will happen. Helmet/No helmet, bike/car. Do I wish he would wear a helmet, yes. Do I know that many can ride a bike without and be fine, yes. Is it a chance, yes. I guess I just see too many other things that could happen as well and figure I wouldn't feel any better if something happend on the field instead.

clevestinks
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Also I would think since he is a Steeler, he is smarter than Winslow and won`t be trick riding three weeks after buying his first bike

BlitzburghRockCity
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't know why I'm not as fired up about all this as you all are. I have never rode a bike, but I just don't see it. When Aaron Boone busted his leg playing basketball no one was concerned about the Steelers playing charity games. If its going to happen, it will happen. Helmet/No helmet, bike/car. Do I wish he would wear a helmet, yes. Do I know that many can ride a bike without and be fine, yes. Is it a chance, yes. I guess I just see too many other things that could happen as well and figure I wouldn't feel any better if something happend on the field instead.

Agreed chef, if its going to happen, its going to happen.. some people ride their whole lives w/ barely a scratch.. and others ride forever and then out of the blue, it happens.. But why not be prepared if it does happen, atleast do ur part to keep ur noggin intactd. :)

ironcitychef
05-12-2005, 11:17 PM
interesting point as this hasn't died down over the weeks...
From the Post-G
With that, he[Palmer] said, comes a certain amount of responsibility. So things like skiing and certain water sports will wait until his playing days are done. "I'd love to do a lot of that stuff, but it's just not worth it," Palmer said. "The organization's invested too much in me and I owe it to them to take care of my body in the offseason, not do risky things like that."

Did anyone else catch Joey Porter and oh, about six other nfl players riding around on Jet skis, slamming into walls for the sake of the NFL today? Sorry but this is making me mad. You gonna call it, call it both ways. What about the guy who hurt his foot playing sand football at the pro bowl a few years ago. Why not get fired up about that. Knee jerk reactions cause Ben did a sensible thing? He said he sat down and read his contract. He has only said that he rides his bike without a helmet with a group of other people , so its not like he is doing wheelies in the Kroger parking lot. If only TO had gotten injured catching Nicolette Sheridan then we really could push this to the limit.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Players do this kind of stuff every offseason and all their lives.. they're just like us. they like to be adventerous, take risks, have fun, do challening things.. every thing we as everyday joes like to do.. the difference is, they're in the spotlight, making 10s of millions of dollars doing something that we all only dream on. So there is a degree of responsibility that has be noticed on their part..but still, u cant really blame them for wanting to be their own person, and skydive, snorkle, ride bikes, jetski's, travel, all that kinda stuff.. so , just be careful guys.. PLEASE !!!

its just that now its more in the spotlight since dumbass winslow pulled his Im cool dude look at me ride stunt, and ended up hurt again.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2005, 08:01 AM
speaking of ben on his bike..

http://benroethlisberger.typepad.com/photos/ben_roethlisberger/52675667_10.jpg

clevestinks
05-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Bens got the life!

I love motorcycles, and Yes helmets are your choice. But I think Ben should really reconsider his decision on not wearing one!