PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl sets record with 111 million viewers

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM
For the second year in a row, the Super Bowl has set a record for American television viewing.

The Nielsen Co. said that an estimated 111 million people watched the Green Bay Packers outlast the Steelers. That tops the 106.5 million who watched the 2010 game between New Orleans and Indianapolis.

The series finale of "M*A*S*H" had held the title of the most-watched TV show in the United States for 27 years. It is now No. 3.

Fox had the advantage of a game between two of the National Football League's iconic franchises and, even though it looked like it could be a rout when the Packers took a 21-3 lead, it went down to the final minute and held viewers' interest.

The most-watched moment of the game was Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's final incomplete pass, which essentially clinched the game for Green Bay, according to TiVo Inc., the digital video recorder maker. At least initially, there was some debate among announcers about whether Mike Wallace had been interfered with.

The average Super Bowl viewer with a DVR either paused, rewound or fast-forwarded 145 times during the game, TiVo said.

Television ratings in general have been super for the NFL this year, with viewership up 13 percent over last year, Nielsen said. Games on CBS, Fox and NBC averaged 20 million viewers, more than twice what networks get for their prime-time programming.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11038/1123741-67.stm

Hard to believe anyone would risk killing this cash cow with a lockout/strike - in other sports having small market teams play in your champiosnhip is ratings death - not the NFL

TRH
02-07-2011, 04:21 PM
fabulous.
111 million saw an embarrassing display of "football" by us, some of who never watch us, only yesterday they did. And this is how they see the Pittsburgh Steelers.
And this is after we have some of the biggest trash talking fans in football.

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
fabulous.
111 million saw an embarrassing display of "football" by us, some of who never watch us, only yesterday they did. And this is how they see the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Who cares what they think? We all know what the Steelers are capable of year in and year out, and that's all that matters.

TRH
02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Who cares what they think? We all know what the Steelers are capable of year in and year out, and that's all that matters.

i think alot of people care about our image. We all want the whole world to see us at least put in a good performance.
I was actually hoping for a great "national stage" performance after our miserable showings on Sunday night this year in the NO and NE games.

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
That's just it. Most people either love the Steelers, or they hate them...there's no middle ground. I've learned to accept that and ignore the naysayers.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 05:30 PM
fabulous.

When did we become Raiders, Jets and Ravens fans? :chuckle:

I know you're upset, it's cool. Just sounds a bit extreme to me is all lol.

TRH
02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
When did we become Raiders, Jets and Ravens fans? :chuckle:

I know you're upset, it's cool. Just sounds a bit extreme to me is all lol.

a bit upset lol....but you explain to casual fans or even non-fans how special the "Steelers" thing is, how tough they are, etc....then when everyone's finally watching, they put on a dismal, weak performance like that....
Frustrating. :noidea:

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd rather lose to the Packers than any other team in the NFL. Not a big fan of losing though...

xli...
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
a bit upset lol....but you explain to casual fans or even non-fans how special the "Steelers" thing is, how tough they are, etc....then when everyone's finally watching, they put on a dismal, weak performance like that....

Very true. But the didn't roll over and fought till the end. People have to respect that.

stb_steeler
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
fabulous.

some of that 111 million were viewers watchin hopeing for a Steeler loss. They hate us when we win they hate us when we lose.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM

You shouldn't have to explain how good a team is when they're in the Superbowl lol. Green Bay was just the better team that day, that's all.

I know it's frustrating, but if we're talking about casual and non-fans, they don't get it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. The team made some huge mistakes, but nearly fought back to win it. There aren't a lot of teams in the league that would have put on that kind of gutsy performance after being down like they were at times. I'm in no way ashamed or embarrassed by them at all.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 09:27 PM
You shouldn't have to explain how good a team is when they're in the Superbowl lol. Green Bay was just the better team that day, that's all.

I know it's frustrating, but if we're talking about casual and non-fans, they don't get it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. The team made some huge mistakes, but nearly fought back to win it. There aren't a lot of teams in the league that would have put on that kind of gutsy performance after being down like they were at times. I'm in no way ashamed or embarrassed by them at all.

Agreed - maybe if I was still trying to get over the 17-14 Seattle win in XL after they picked up the flag on the Clark Haggans hold or the INT by Arizona when Roethlisberger foolishly tried to throw into triple coverage into the end zone in a doomed attempt to reach Holmes I would be more upset, but this was a great season by a team I thought would not only miss the playoffs but might blow up last April

Quasar
02-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Very true. But they didn't roll over and fought till the end. People have to respect that.
They did.

The most-watched moment of the game was Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's final incomplete pass, which essentially clinched the game for Green Bay, according to TiVo Inc., the digital video recorder maker.