PDA

View Full Version : 3 guys we need to step up next season

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Crezdon Butler - I've been high on this pick since we got him, I have a feeling he would impress if given a shot. It's obvious mcfadden is NOT the answer and our #1 priority imho, would be to get a good 2nd CB to compliment ike. I feel with how this season has gone, tomlin may give this kid a shot sooner than expected. Gay and Mcfadden are good as EXTRA db's but we need a solid #2.

Limas Sweed - Last chance for him, he needs to make it count. Yes I know he peed the bed, but one thing about this guy is he gets open. He just has to catch. the. damn. ball. Hopefully he's gotten some professional help and seen a sports psychologist to help him with his mental issues. He definitely has the physical tools. The team most likely wants to give him another shot, because if not, he would have been cut instead of IR'ed. Hines ward isn't getting any younger, and despite sanders/brown's success, a clear cut heir to hines hasn't been established yet.

Keenan Lewis - All the reports were saying he's had great days in practice, but when given a shot last preseason, he totally shit the bed which killed his chances of winning the job over mcfadden or as the primary nickel back. He's got the speed and talent to become a solid corner, but he needs to keep his composure during a game. Another year of experience should help him. I predict a fierce battle between lewis and butler in the offseason. I'm sure the problem in our secondary can't be ignored by tomlin any longer, and we will have to make an upgrade over mcfadden. I'm sure we will be looking in the draft for help in this area also, but we have 2 young corners looking to establish themselves. Now is the their window of opportunity, who will make it count?

Farrior_roirraW
02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
If Sweed could catch the damn ball Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Sweed could all have a killer future (although even w/o Sweed I think they do).

However, I don't see Sweed getting many, if any, chances with Ward and ARE on the roster.

fordfan485
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
What ever happend to sweed anyways. He just died off the face of the earth it seems, other players that where on IR were seen on the sidelines all season long. But honestly would he even see playing time with the depth we have at receiver now.

pete74
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
i dont see any of them ever starting

PhantomJB93
02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Id like to see Butler step up, hes the only DB who has any hope at this point, Lewis isn't gonna amount to anything. But we can't take the chance on giving him a shot, we've still got to draft a CB early and maybe they can both be our #2 and nickel...

As for Sweed, he'd still be a monster if he could catch the damn ball so I haven't given up on him, he's got the speed, height, athletic ability, and he's probably our best route runner...if he learns to catch he could potentially be our #1 guy actually...so I still havent given up on him. Last shot though...(drools over a corps of a Sweed who can catch, Wallace, Sanders, and Brown).

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I see Lewis being cut.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I see Lewis being cut.

Yep - There is a reason he never sees the field as a backup DB and Anthony Madison does

theplatypus
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep - There is a reason he never sees the field as a backup DB and Anthony Madison does

I'm pretty sure he's been in Tomlin's doghouse ever since his multiple stupid personal fouls during the preseason.

Terrapin
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Who was that other CB they drafter along w/ Lewis? Joe somebody? The dude that dropped the easy int in a game late last year. What happened to him?

SteelCityScotty
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I know Mendenhall has a firm grip on our "running back of the future" position, but does anyone think Jonathan Dwyer could step up next season and get some regular carries?

I know the backfield is crowded with Moore and Redman also in the picture, but I've heard at least a few people say they're not sure if Mewelde comes back next year. Dwyer has a pretty successful track record in high school and college. At some point, he should get a shot at the professional level.

SteelCityScotty
02-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Who was that other CB they drafter along w/ Lewis? Joe somebody? The dude that dropped the easy int in a game late last year. What happened to him?

Joe Burnett...he was released by the Steelers before the season started in September. He then signed a "future contract" with the Giants in January.

Terrapin
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Joe Burnett...he was released by the Steelers before the season started in September. He then signed a "future contract" with the Giants in January.

Yeah. Wondered what happened to him. Maybe they should bring back 'Beltin' Delton Hall.

FanSince72
02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Crezdon Butler - I've been high on this pick since we got him, I have a feeling he would impress if given a shot. It's obvious mcfadden is NOT the answer and our #1 priority imho, would be to get a good 2nd CB to compliment ike. I feel with how this season has gone, tomlin may give this kid a shot sooner than expected. Gay and Mcfadden are good as EXTRA db's but we need a solid #2.

Limas Sweed - Last chance for him, he needs to make it count. Yes I know he peed the bed, but one thing about this guy is he gets open. He just has to catch. the. damn. ball. Hopefully he's gotten some professional help and seen a sports psychologist to help him with his mental issues. He definitely has the physical tools. The team most likely wants to give him another shot, because if not, he would have been cut instead of IR'ed. Hines ward isn't getting any younger, and despite sanders/brown's success, a clear cut heir to hines hasn't been established yet.

Keenan Lewis - All the reports were saying he's had great days in practice, but when given a shot last preseason, he totally shit the bed which killed his chances of winning the job over mcfadden or as the primary nickel back. He's got the speed and talent to become a solid corner, but he needs to keep his composure during a game. Another year of experience should help him. I predict a fierce battle between lewis and butler in the offseason. I'm sure the problem in our secondary can't be ignored by tomlin any longer, and we will have to make an upgrade over mcfadden. I'm sure we will be looking in the draft for help in this area also, but we have 2 young corners looking to establish themselves. Now is the their window of opportunity, who will make it count?

I'm with you on Butler and Lewis and for the reasons you've stated, but I'm not sure about Sweed. Whenever I hear about a twentysomething having to see a Sports Psychologist to learn how to do something that ought to come naturally, I start having my doubts.

It certainly can't hurt to give him one last shot next preseason, but if he still can't get it together, it's time to move on.

Rick5895
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I know Mendenhall has a firm grip on our "running back of the future" position, but does anyone think Jonathan Dwyer could step up next season and get some regular carries?

I know the backfield is crowded with Moore and Redman also in the picture, but I've heard at least a few people say they're not sure if Mewelde comes back next year. Dwyer has a pretty successful track record in high school and college. At some point, he should get a shot at the professional level.

Even though Moore did a decent job last night, I can see keeping Dwyer over him next season providing Dwyer comes to camp in shape .

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM
i forgot about dwyer, good call on getting him more involved

Velvet Elvis
02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
The #1 person that needs to "step it up" is Ben . He is not earning the 100 + million he is making. I would expect more production out of that kind of cap hit. This offense was weak all year and he was the main reason.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
i'd like to Sweed go through camp one more time and see if he has hands. If so, its time to let ARE go.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
The #1 person that needs to "step it up" is Ben . He is not earning the 100 + million he is making. I would expect more production out of that kind of cap hit. This offense was weak all year and he was the main reason.

Yeah, I am was so surprised at his plays, but the offense as whole looked garbage. Was Ben wearing gloves? If he was, it's not smart to wear gloves indoors.

SteelCityScotty
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
This discussion about Sweed made me also think of Tyler Grisham. He played in a game or two for us at the end of the 2009 season and is still on our practice squad.

I know it's a long shot, especially now that Sanders and Brown have emerged, but does anyone think Grisham will play another down with the team?

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
i'd like to Sweed go through camp one more time and see if he has hands. If so, its time to let ARE go.

ARE is gone unless he reworks his contract regardless of what Sweed does - he is the #5 receiver and lost the punt return job to Brown

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Yes because BR7 has an all pro line and top of league wideouts...How dare he not come thru every game.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-08-2011, 12:22 AM
This discussion about Sweed made me also think of Tyler Grisham. He played in a game or two for us at the end of the 2009 season and is still on our practice squad.

I know it's a long shot, especially now that Sanders and Brown have emerged, but does anyone think Grisham will play another down with the team?

Grisham is a fairly decent slot receiver. He has good speed, a good route runner and isn't afraid to take a hit. I'm surprised the Patriots haven't tried to pick him up. He fits their mold.

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I am was so surprised at his plays, but the offense as whole looked garbage. Was Ben wearing gloves? If he was, it's not smart to wear gloves indoors.

No gloves, but I was thinking that he should go get them.

I saw several balls that looked as if they slipped a bit as he threw them. He himself says he grips the ball better with the gloves so why not keep wearing them?

BehindSteelCurtain
02-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Id like to see Ben lose weight and shave that beard. You would think for the SB on national tv he would shave that beard.....NOPE

ETL
02-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Joe Burnett - out the league as I know
Mewelde Moore is still relatively young - I wouldn't get rid of him just yet
We need a youth influx in CB like we got in WR this year

I predict that EMMANUAL SANDERS will be the WR that will lead this team in catches next year over Mike Wallace. It seems to me that down the stretch - Ben had more confidence that Sanders had the better hands than Wallace.

xli...
02-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Sweed needs to be cut and forgot about for the Steelers. I think we have plenty of good WRs for the next 2-3 years. As long as health isn't an issue.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Sweed needs to be cut and forgot about for the Steelers. I think we have plenty of good WRs for the next 2-3 years. As long as health isn't an issue.

health is always an issue. look at this year and last year

and if we have 18 game seasons, well... let's hope that doesn't happen though.

sexyllama
02-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Sorry, for the Ben Lovers... I am one but:

Big Ben does need to step it up next year. For 14 million a year he needs to be A LOT more consistent. All of last year but with more consistency.

I really think he could be the "street" version of Steve Young but the playoffs were the perfect example of Coaching/ Ben being off. The Steelers played 12 quarters and he showed up for 6...

1,2 vs Baltimore (Horrid... remind you of the Superbowl? It sure does!)

3,4 vs Jets (although we kind of packed it in... he still missed wide open checkdowns and threw high)

1,2 vs Green Bay (Horrid... except for last drive, missed some wide open receivers that 2nd/5 with two minutes left and the RB is sitting all alone in the middle of the field... he throws to double coverage)

I'd start by getting him a new QB Coach. I really don't like the fact that he gained more coaching during his suspension than anything that guy we've never heard of who is the QB Coach.

Llama

Velvet Elvis
02-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Yes because BR7 has an all pro line and top of league wideouts...How dare he not come thru every game.

Stop with the excuses already. He didnt "come thru" in most of the games, the defense did. What if our defense was ranked in the middle of the league instead of # 1 or 2 all year ? We wouldnt even be in the playoffs. How many game would we have won. BR7 didnt do much all year.

Ricco Suavez
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Stop with the excuses already. He didnt "come thru" in most of the games, the defense did. What if our defense was ranked in the middle of the league instead of # 1 or 2 all year ? We wouldnt even be in the playoffs. How many game would we have won. BR7 didnt do much all year.

Yea I agree we would be just like San Diego with no defense and even the great Rivers a media darling could not get them in the playoffs. BTW didnt Sand Diego have a fair defense.