PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau's plans

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I definetly do not want to start a LeBeau flaming thread, and I'm sure no one else here does either. That being said, all game the Packers had a recieving option open. It was unbelievable. I understand guys get beat and outran and those kind of things. But all game they had a guy open, sometimes 8-9 yards open. The defense made a few stands but only one without the assistance of a Packers receiver dropping a catchable ball. What I'm saying is, when one of our LB's, CB's or safeties gets burnt or ran around that's on them, but when a recieving option is left completely open on every single play that's on LeBeau. Granted most of the guys that were wide open were only a yard or 2 out, but they were so open that they turned it into an 8-10 yard play most of the time. And it was very similar to the New England loss. New England didn't have someone wide open all the time but they were beating the coverage. I understand McFadden will get beat but we have good defensive personell who are capable at playing most of the game without making mistakes. It seems to me that when another team comes in and spreads the field with a slot reciever or extra TE, LeBeau has nothing for it. Teams have been doing it for a while, and he's been coaching for a while, and I still haven't seen him stop it. No disrespect for LeBeau but other teams are going to see this and try to take advantage. He needs to fix that! Wondering what you guys think??

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 08:06 PM
im thinking ben attempted one more pass, had a higher completion %, and had an open receiving option (that he overthrew many times) open on every single play.

does that mean dom capers needs to fix his SB winning defense as well?

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
LeBeau was doing all he could, it was the executing aspect that failed. Pretty much every QB will find an opening when blitzes get picked up like they were yesterday.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I think the problem is dealing with 3rd downs. I don't think there's a problem giving up short yardage plays on 1st and second, but it seems like they make too many of their mistakes on 3rd, letting drives continue. What to do about it, I don't know. I can't answer your question, or I'd probably being standing on the sidelines making big money.

stb_steeler
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Off with Lebeau's head i say, drag him to the city square an stone him. Let the people be heard damn it.......:popcorn:

quiggle
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
opponents don't fear his system anymore. it's time to retire.

LegendSteel
02-07-2011, 08:19 PM
opponents don't fear his system anymore. it's time to retire.

It's not that as much as it's the fact that the 3-4 isn't so tough to crack anymore. Defenses go in cycles. Once everyone figures out the 3-4, teams will go to the 4-3, then once that's figured out, teams go back to the 3-4. It's a never-ending cycle. I remember reading a good article on it a while back.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
while i think LeBeau should have did a better job at mixing things and causing confusion (hey...what happened to that??? We're were basically almost always in set positions instead of dancing around causing chaos...), he can't answer for the "on-the-field" execution. He can't force Gay to not get burnt, for Troy to be thinking the wrong way, etc....

It was mainly the on-field non-executing that failed. The other small part (that does fall on the coaching staff) was the lack of fire and on-field rage to win. I would've killed to have GB's attitude on our side last night. They were PUMPED.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 08:37 PM
What are you guys taking about? Polamalu was way off, they had decent pressure, and they secondary was horrible when it mattered. But then again, in the second half they started 5 drives and all ended in punts. Now it was the offense's fault for not capitalizing. Gosh, if Mendy didn't fumble we could've won. But it was a team loss so there are no if, ands, or buts. The better team won, get over it. Wait till September or whenever the season starts and then complain. We did make the Super Bowl right?

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
we need the personnel in the secondary. if mcfadden is out #2 db that shows how crappy our corners are. other than ike there's nobody else that can defend any team's #2 or #1 wr

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
It's not that as much as it's the fact that the 3-4 isn't so tough to crack anymore. Defenses go in cycles. Once everyone figures out the 3-4, teams will go to the 4-3, then once that's figured out, teams go back to the 3-4. It's a never-ending cycle. I remember reading a good article on it a while back.

It's a copycat league - Steelers & Packers both play a 3-4 zone blitz, statistically were the #1 and # 2 defenses in the league, and made the Super Bowl - some teams had some trouble cracking that nut and you can bet with the Packers winning the Super Bowl the 3-4 is going to be installed by more teams with losing records

Agreed it is a cycle of defenses trying to stop the offense of the day and offenses trying to move the ball against the successful defense of the day

NYT Fifth Down had a great series on the evolution of NFL defenses, of which the 3-4 was described last fall as "the league’s favored defensive look"

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 1
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-1/

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 2: Evolution of 4-3 Front
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-2-evolution-of-4-3-front/

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 3: The 4-3 Front Continued
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-3-the-4-3-front-continued/

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 4: The 3-4 Front
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-4-the-3-4-front/

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 5: The Zone Blitz
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-5-the-zone-blitz/

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 6: The 46 Defense
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-6-the-46-defense/

Guide to N.F.L. Defenses, Part 7: Nickel Subpackages
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-7-nickel-subpackages/

bigchuck
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM
i thought i saw bill gay out there not making plays, lebeau unfortunatly didnt suit up.

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Look I like LeBeau as much as the next guy, but that doesn't mean he's untouchable. I know the sarcastic remarks are cool to make on forums, but when a team of great players is consistantly beat by a certain style of play, it's time for that teams coach to figure out a way to stop that style of play. I know that most QB's will find someone open when the blitz is picked up, I'm not talking about just in blitz situations though. Also, if the blitz keeps getting picked up: CHANGE IT or do something else!! Saw a lot of people complaining on here when the Pats passed all over on us about how LeBeau changed nothing, there was even a thread wondering if he didn't change anything on purpose to save something for the playoffs. Now that it's happened again I'm the only one who see's it?? In my opinion LeBeau is the best defensive coordinator, probably ever. I also understand what was mentioned earlier that the players have to execute, but this is the 2nd team this year that all game the players weren't able to execute. When that happens the coaching staff (Tomlin and LeBeau) need to change the plan and see if the team can execute a different game plan.

SH-Rock
02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
One more thing. How many TOs were there. You cannot expect your defense to stop the points when your offense keeps having TOs. The defense gets tired. Arians seriously needs to go. The defense has carried this team for years now. It's time for the offense to step up.

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
One more thing. How many TOs were there. You cannot expect your defense to stop the points when your offense keeps having TOs. The defense gets tired. Arians seriously needs to go. The defense has carried this team for years now. It's time for the offense to step up.

This is also true. Releasing Arians would be the best thing that happened to this team. All I'm saying is LeBeau is the complete package except for this problem with spread out offensive using a slot reciever or 2nd TE, and we know it's something he can fix. I'd just like to see it fixed.

SteelersinCA
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
How would you suggest he change? What personnel do the Steelers have to match up with teams like the Pats and Packers. We went 12-4 this year. There are 3 maybe 4 qbs in the league that can beat us like that. If you play that game 10 times I think we win 8 times against the pack.

Lebeau isn'ta miracle worker he can only work with what hes got.

stb_steeler
02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Look I like LeBeau as much as the next guy, but that doesn't mean he's untouchable. I know the sarcastic remarks are cool to make on forums, but when a team of great players is consistantly beat by a certain style of play, it's time for that teams coach to figure out a way to stop that style of play. I know that most QB's will find someone open when the blitz is picked up, I'm not talking about just in blitz situations though. Also, if the blitz keeps getting picked up: CHANGE IT or do something else!! Saw a lot of people complaining on here when the Pats passed all over on us about how LeBeau changed nothing, there was even a thread wondering if he didn't change anything on purpose to save something for the playoffs. Now that it's happened again I'm the only one who see's it?? In my opinion LeBeau is the best defensive coordinator, probably ever. I also understand what was mentioned earlier that the players have to execute, but this is the 2nd team this year that all game the players weren't able to execute. When that happens the coaching staff (Tomlin and LeBeau) need to change the plan and see if the team can execute a different game plan.

You just answered your own post....Execute! its not Lebeau out on the field, the players didnt get er done.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
This is also true. Releasing Arians would be the best thing that happened to this team. All I'm saying is LeBeau is the complete package except for this problem with spread out offensive using a slot reciever or 2nd TE, and we know it's something he can fix. I'd just like to see it fixed.

To play devil's advocate here for a minute, it wasn't Arians out there creating turnovers, and it wasn't Lebeau out there blowing coverage. The coaches coach and the players play. The coaches can't go out and execute the plays for them.

With that said, I hope Arians is gone as well. He calls good games sometimes, but I'm just not pleased with his overall performance as an OC. I think it's time for a change.

As for Lebeau...he's great at what he does. GB just planned for him and the defense extremely well. It happens. Gotta give the GB coaching staff and players a lot of credit for what they did.

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 10:31 PM
arians can only seem to call a good game against baltimore. against any other good defense, i just don't see it.

rocckbottomxmen
02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I know I will get flamed for these comments but it is and has been time for him to step down for several yrs now. I say this not because he does not have it any longer, I say this because he is to stubborn in his beliefs. He just believes he can stop people in a 4 wr set with his base 3-4.

He runs the same blitzes all the time. I bet most of you did not know that the steelers defensive play book is over 90 pages and every year in training camp Lebeau creates a new defensive play. Why he does not use them is unbeknown to me. He should have used blitzes that packers have not seen before. But that said Arians also should shoulder alot of this loss.

I do not understand why he went away from the run game so early. And when we did pass how many of you notice that the middle of the field was wide open for at least 10 to 20 yards past the los.

But with all of that said I am proud of this team and feel wonderful about our future. As a steeler fan you have to take this season as a freeby. No one expected us to be here anyway. Although I thought at the beginning of the year we would be here in the super bowl. I actually thought we could have been there with a 15 and 1 record. I honestly thought we would only lose to the patriots in the regular season but get them back in afc championship game

BehindSteelCurtain
02-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I find it funny how people here are saying what he should and shouldnt do.....I guarantee he knows 500,267 times the stuff that we know about football.

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I find it funny how people here are saying what he should and shouldnt do.....I guarantee he knows 500,267 times the stuff that we know about football.

Really?

Then why is it that we can't consistently get a team off the field on a third and eight passing down?

Let's have a show of hands.

When we have a team in a situation longer than third and six, how many of you HONESTLY believe that that team will be punting on the next play most of the time?