PDA

View Full Version : Where Do The 2004-2010 Steelers Fit Among Notable NFL Teams

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 08:56 PM
One of the subplots going into last night's game was whether the Steelers would be a "dynasty" if they won another Lombardi - they did not, but since 2004 they have had a core of players with a lot of success (3 super Bowl appearances/4 AFC championship game appearances) and as a winner of multiple Lombardis are a notable team

Top shelf for me (based on number of championships) are the 60s Packers (5 in 7 years); 70s Steelers (4 in 6 years); and 80s 49ers (4 in 9 years)

Second tier are 90s Cowboys and 2001-2004 Patriots (3 in 4 years)

Steelers remind me of the mid-late 80s Giants and rank a little higher with one more Super Bowl appearance - killer defense and offense that gets the job done with 2 Lombardis for both teams

tanda10506
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
It's hard to say because football now is nothing like it was then. Maybe be it's just me but I wouldn't count anything before Super Bowl 1. I'd say the 70's Steelers and the 80's 49ers are the top 2. Everybody has there own definition of dynasty, to me the modern Steelers: 2004-present are. 2 championships, 3 AFC championships, and have been in the playoffs every year except one. I would be hesistant to put the 90's Cowboys on that list. I would say that the Patriots from 2001 until the year they lost the Super Bowl to the Giants would be the next "tier". If the team had stuck together I would say Patriots 2001-present, but when a team splits up 90%, that "dynasty" is not the same. I'd put the Super Bowl 1 era Packers and the present day Steelers on the tier after that. Football is so different, even from decade to decade that it's not really cut and dry.

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 09:19 PM
It's hard to say because football now is nothing like it was then. Maybe be it's just me but I wouldn't count anything before Super Bowl 1. I'd say the 70's Steelers and the 80's 49ers are the top 2. Everybody has there own definition of dynasty, to me the modern Steelers: 2004-present are. 2 championships, 3 AFC championships, and have been in the playoffs every year except one. I would be hesistant to put the 90's Cowboys on that list. I would say that the Patriots from 2001 until the year they lost the Super Bowl to the Giants would be the next "tier". If the team had stuck together I would say Patriots 2001-present, but when a team splits up 90%, that "dynasty" is not the same. I'd put the Super Bowl 1 era Packers and the present day Steelers on the tier after that. Football is so different, even from decade to decade that it's not really cut and dry.

Packers won the first 2 Super Bowls and the 1961-62 team that won in the original, pre-Super Bowl NFL had the same core at its peak and is regarded as the better team over 1965-67 Green Bay that won three straight and the first two Super Bowls - big pre-Super Bowl difference was you did not need to win multiple playoff games

And have to give Dallas its due - 90s Cowboys were loaded and the last great team before free agency - if Jimmy Johnson had not pi**ed off Jerry Jones they would have won 4 Super Bowls in a row and probably been regarded as the greatest team of all time

harrison'samonster
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
It's hard to say. I sometimes have trouble thinking of these Steelers as a dynasty, because there have been a few years they didn't compete very well (06 and 09). As far as championships go, 3 appearances in 6 seasons definitely puts them up there.

And I know they didn't win, but 4 straight SB appearances puts the Bills up there in that second tier. Unless your going by Championship wins, of course.

steeltheone
02-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Nobody remembers anything but a victory.

4xSBChamps
02-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Top shelf for me (based on number of championships) are the 60s Packers (5 in 7 years); 70s Steelers (4 in 6 years); and 80s 49ers (4 in 9 years)

Second tier are 90s Cowboys and 2001-2004 Patriots (3 in 4 years)

Steelers remind me of the mid-late 80s Giants and rank a little higher with one more Super Bowl appearance - killer defense and offense that gets the job done with 2 Lombardis for both teams

I'd include the 1982-1991 Redskins, with SB Championships in '82, '87, and '91, with a 4th appearance being a loss in '83, in that '3rd-tier' grouping:
lotsa turnover in that team in those 10 seasons, but they used Gibbs' simple formula and found ways to win, similar to Pittsburgh the last 6-8 years

Atlanta Dan
02-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I'd include the 1982-1991 Redskins, with SB Championships in '82, '87, and '91, with a 4th appearance being a loss in '83, in that '3rd-tier' grouping:
lotsa turnover in that team in those 10 seasons, but they used Gibbs' simple formula and found ways to win, similar to Pittsburgh the last 6-8 years

Agreed you have to figure out some way to work Gibbs in - most great runs involved a great QB/coach combo - Gibbs won three Lombardis with 3 different QBs (Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien)