PDA

View Full Version : The official lets get rid of William Gay thread.

rcoplien
02-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Let's start!! He has made some horrible coverage plays as a DB and basically stinks. Anyone Concur?

PhantomJB93
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Keep him as a 4th CB, he's good except when he has to cover beyond 10 yards lol

We should not have him in as a 2nd or 3rd string anymore though unless there is an injury.

NCBlackWolf
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Please sign me up.

TRH
02-07-2011, 08:50 PM
just let him blitz every single play.

Swan Lake
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
He has good speed and is an excellent tackler.:tt04:

casteeler
02-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Lovin' this thread! Get lost Gay

BlaZeQuietly
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I heard he was gay

NCBlackWolf
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Need less gay!

Fire Arians
02-07-2011, 09:19 PM
i just think we need more depth at cb. gay is ok as a #3 or #4, we need someone to replace b-mac

steelers2685
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
On that play that Jordy Nelson couldn't bring in, William Gay kept running downield??? I wish he'd have kept running right into a different uniform. Reminds me a lot of Dewayne Washington all over again! FRUSTRATING!

Merchant
02-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Okay. Let's say you get your wish. Gay is cut. Now what? Oh righttt.. we have that amazing shut-down corner the Rooney's have been hiding in their garage all this time!

Do we need to draft a solid Corner? Yes. But Gay has played well this year other than the Patriots game. Is he a corner that you can put on the other team's #1 receiver? No. But he's a good option in Nickel packages.

BigRick
02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
i just think we need more depth at cb. gay is ok as a #3 or #4, we need someone to replace b-mac

I have to agree with your assessment. There are some good corners in upcoming draft, but where the Steelers will be drafting they'll already be gone. :helmet:

xli...
02-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I heard he was gay

:rofl:

But no really, where is the pen.

blkngld4ever
02-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Let's start!! He has made some horrible coverage plays as a DB and basically stinks. Anyone Concur?
I could be wrong but I think get rid of W. gay thread started a very long time ago. This is not new

Men of Steel
02-07-2011, 11:59 PM
willie gay SUCKS when he takes on ANY receiver one on one.

his tackling sucks also, always tackles up high, if you need to refresh your memory, remember when AP ran his sorry ass over vs the vikes.

he is always hesitant on EVERY SINGLE PLAY.
hesitant to tackle, hesitant to adjust to the receiver.

and dont anyone start with this, he makes good plays here and there blah blah.
YEAH! for every one decent play he makes, he screws up on 100 other ones.

willie gay is only good at being weeally gay. :banging:

Aussie Steeler
02-08-2011, 01:24 AM
He's good for passes below 10 yards but gets burned like a mofo in big plays. Just blitz him every play.

ricardisimo
02-08-2011, 04:25 AM
I'm always at a loss for words when this topic comes up, except to joke that it has to be his last name. William Gay is neither spectacular nor awful. He's a pretty darned good nickel corner who actually won a few games for us during the regular season.

In fact, in the past five or six games, I've seen Troy blow more deep coverage and miss more tackles than Gay. Would anyone ever suggest that we "get rid of Troy"? I'm assuming not, but there are more than enough bozos out there, who knows? :noidea:

McFadden has stunk it up royally all season long, and yet I haven't seen a single "Cut McFadden" thread. Why? Last name, maybe? It's ridiculous.

BengalDestroyer
02-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Totally disagree with the notion of getting rid of WIllie. He had a really good year...Despite the bad performance against NE and not the best performance in the SB, he had a good year. He's a really good nickel back. Our problem in secondary comes down to BMac, he hasn't played the same since he went to Arizona, got burned all year...I'm a fan of Willie and see no reason to get rid of him, BMac on the other hand well, he'd make a good fourth corner!

Rick5895
02-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Totally disagree with the notion of getting rid of WIllie. He had a really good year...Despite the bad performance against NE and not the best performance in the SB, he had a good year. He's a really good nickel back. Our problem in secondary comes down to BMac, he hasn't played the same since he went to Arizona, got burned all year...I'm a fan of Willie and see no reason to get rid of him, BMac on the other hand well, he'd make a good fourth corner!

I agree with most of your assesmant, although I wouldn't neccesarily put it all on BMAC either, even though he was not up to the standard this season. We need more speed in the secondary and better coverage. I think what is more neccesary is a package that can handle the teams that go spread on us. Lebeau will find a way I am sure, but watching the Pack this year and and Patriots in years past the teams that had success against them played with a 4 man line and some cover 2. We love our D and the 3-4 zone blitz, but it does have weaknesses against offenses like the pack , Cheats, Saints run. IN the game on Sunday we had receivers open as well, the difference in the game was Ben misfired and Rodgers didn't, not the play of any one CB.

pete74
02-08-2011, 05:58 AM

Bmac needs replaced this offseason if we want a chance at even making playoffs next year. every team knows exactly how to beat us now. even though we knew exactly what green bay was going to do in the super bowl we couldnt stop them because our corner and saftey play was well below average. bmac is a big reason why we cant stop the pass as is gay. gay plays less time then mcfadden yet has allowed more td's then anyone else on our team.

i would like to make a run at a good cb in free agency plus grab another in round 1 or 2

Spidey
02-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Gay is a nickel Dback, and that's where his place is on this team. hHe proved last season that he isn't a cover corner!

I think we've been getting away with having the likes of Gay/BMac/Clark back there because the challenge from the other AFC North sides in the Wideout department is pretty shallow.

Cleveland have basically nothing, the Rats have old timer Mason, slow Boldin, slower Housh and speedy Stallworth (who they never bothered with), the bungals have chad, who's consistently shut down by Ike, and Old, but wise, troublemaker Owens, who has bad games when he's in a strop!

I see all these teams especially Cincy and Baltimore re-tooling with some speed this off season, so the play of the secondary is going to have to step up.

Even if we do spend that first round pick on a corner, we still desperately need Butler to pan out and take over at BMac's spot, at least for the time being. Lewis looks a liability when ever he's on the field, and I really feel he's on borrowed time, to play corner you need to be smart, Lewis isn't.

I quite like Mundy, but as long as Dick is pulling the strings he's festering behind Clark, Clark had one good game all year!

Whatever happens, we need to see a re-deployment of Troy to a more active roll, get Ike re-signed, but everything else needs a long hard look!

BKAnthem
02-08-2011, 06:38 AM
The Steelers need to realize that the days of the Zone only corner is over...if you don't have corners that can play man you have no chance...the Steelers have 1 man corner with decent speed and every time they've lost that's always been the reason, Gay and Bmac are always running AFTER a reciever, how about running with them? Stride for stride, how about that?...their first 3 draft picks should be a cover corner,O lineman, and a safety because Clark looks slower every year and Troy is starting to injure himself every other play...I just don't get how much of a genius Colbert is touted to be he can't draft a decent cover corner or O lineman? the whole time he's been in the 'burgh and all he has to show for all the corners and O-lineman he's drafted is Pouncey,Marvel Smith and Taylor?

TRH
02-08-2011, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=BKAnthem;919179][B]The Steelers need to realize that the days of the Zone only corner is over

So true. You keep playing your DB's 30 yards off the ball you're going to get KILLED with the pass in this day and age of quick slants and middle routes. Especially by the good QB's. You are done.

CargoJon
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
http://media.miamiwarcanoe.com/story_pics/MWCSID=123%7CCongrats_Youve_Got_the_Gay.jpg

I've been yelling about this dude for a long time and I cringe whenever I see him on the field.

The problem with keeping him and blitzing him every play is that after awhile teams are going to realize that's all he's on the field for and pretty much give away our defensive play.

steelersfansince78
02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Gay has been on my shizit list since last year, when he would consistently get burned. He played like garbage against the Pack in the SB. B Mac is the other corner that must go. I wish we would've corralled Cromartie last year in the offseason before the Jets nabbed him. That would've been like getting Carnell Lake back in the fold! I do have high hopes for Crezdon Butler, as he had a monster preseason last year. I believe we are grooming him to step in for either B Mac or Gaybo next year. Let's try and pick up a Free Agent corner or look to the draft to solidify the secondary. Of more importance, however, is the O and D lines. We need to pickup one or two good lineman on both sides. Aaron Smith may retire, Kiesel's getting up there too. Colbert the genius will be scouting the talent and we will nab some gems in the draft.

AND WE WILL BE BACK IN THE SB WITHIN THE NEXT 2-3 YEARS, I PROMISE THE STEELERS NATION THAT BABY!! STEELERS FOR LIFE!!

lionslicer
02-08-2011, 09:45 AM
He's a good blitzer... which is odd because he's rarely blocked when he blitzes, even if he shows the blitz, I think he's just so small no one really notices him.

LeBeau isn't an idiot, obviously Gay has shown he's better than the guys behind him which says a lot about how little depth the steelers have at defensive back.

cloppbeast
02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm always at a loss for words when this topic comes up, except to joke that it has to be his last name. William Gay is neither spectacular nor awful. He's a pretty darned good nickel corner who actually won a few games for us during the regular season.

In fact, in the past five or six games, I've seen Troy blow more deep coverage and miss more tackles than Gay. Would anyone ever suggest that we "get rid of Troy"? I'm assuming not, but there are more than enough bozos out there, who knows? :noidea:

McFadden has stunk it up royally all season long, and yet I haven't seen a single "Cut McFadden" thread. Why? Last name, maybe? It's ridiculous.

:iagree:

You might be a communist, but you know a thing or two about Gay dudes. j/k

I agree. Gay is a heck of a nickel corner. He matches up perfectly with little slot recievers like Welker, but not so well against outside WRs with size.

What the Steelers need is a legitimate number 2 CB.

CargoJon
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Maybe we could pick up his relative Randall?

http://www.nostarclothing.com/tshirt_blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/colts-saints-superbowl-gay.jpg

MDSteel15
02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
He has good speed and is an excellent tackler.:tt04:

Swan is spelled SWANN... just saying :coffee:

Matt91
02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Gay and Madison on the same side on a 3rd and goal in late 4th quarter: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

ricardisimo
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
:iagree:

You might be a communist, but you know a thing or two about Gay dudes. j/k

I agree. Gay is a heck of a nickel corner. He matches up perfectly with little slot recievers like Welker, but not so well against outside WRs with size.

What the Steelers need is a legitimate number 2 CB.
:bomb: I'm an anarchist! And a contrarian! Why can't anyone get that straight? :wink02:
Gay and Madison on the same side on a 3rd and goal in late 4th quarter: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
As I recall, that play worked out just fine, with Madison breaking up the pass. Two of the TDs were on Troy, or did I miss something?

BengalDestroyer
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I agree with most of your assesmant, although I wouldn't neccesarily put it all on BMAC either, even though he was not up to the standard this season. We need more speed in the secondary and better coverage. I think what is more neccesary is a package that can handle the teams that go spread on us. Lebeau will find a way I am sure, but watching the Pack this year and and Patriots in years past the teams that had success against them played with a 4 man line and some cover 2. We love our D and the 3-4 zone blitz, but it does have weaknesses against offenses like the pack , Cheats, Saints run. IN the game on Sunday we had receivers open as well, the difference in the game was Ben misfired and Rodgers didn't, not the play of any one CB.

Amen, Ben did not play very well....

Matt91
02-09-2011, 06:18 AM
:bomb: I'm an anarchist! And a contrarian! Why can't anyone get that straight? :wink02:

As I recall, that play worked out just fine, with Madison breaking up the pass. Two of the TDs were on Troy, or did I miss something?

It worked becaue Rodgers overthrew, but the receiver had passed Madison, who did not jump, too, we were lucky in that

Rotorhead
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I am sold on getting rid of Gay, he can absolutely not cover 1-on-1. I am not sold on losing BMac yet, he was injured the last several games and had an ab injury in the SB. I honestly dont recall seeing BMac playing much if at all in the SB. I just hope he was hindered by that injury (it is a core area which plays a role in anything a CB needs to do) and can get back to his old self next season. I would take Bmac in the nickel over Gay. As slow as Townsend was, he was rarely out of position, wish they would have kept him for one more year.

mcg24
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I heard he was gay

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/fail/5/I-Detect-Fail.jpg

Stielers
11-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Fans, I emailed Ed Bouchette after that Superbowl loss to Packers, the season opener embarrassment to the Ravens and last nights absolute meltdown down to those damn Ravens again last night. Why on earth is William Gay playing professional football? And why on earth do the Steelers renew that man's contract? He got torched by a doggone rookie last night!!!! Our season is over and it is his fault. Ever notice how he is never interviewed? This sucks and we need a shut down corner as we haven't had one since Woodson. I hate seasons that end in November. Predicted finish: 8-8 and another Super Bowl hangover for the Steelers. I am seriously questioning Mike Tomlin's ability to have his team ready for big games.

Rick5895
11-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Fans, I emailed Ed Bouchette after that Superbowl loss to Packers, the season opener embarrassment to the Ravens and last nights absolute meltdown down to those damn Ravens again last night. Why on earth is William Gay playing professional football? And why on earth do the Steelers renew that man's contract? He got torched by a doggone rookie last night!!!! Our season is over and it is his fault. Ever notice how he is never interviewed? This sucks and we need a shut down corner as we haven't had one since Woodson. I hate seasons that end in November. Predicted finish: 8-8 and another Super Bowl hangover for the Steelers. I am seriously questioning Mike Tomlin's ability to have his team ready for big games.

Our season is over??!! Really??!! Tomlin can't lead this team into big games??!! :banging: We may as well not show up for the last 7 games then. Gay has played pretty decently this season, we have a good stable of young CB's on this team. Lewis has made great strides, C.Allen and brown will be very good layers down the road. Gay shouldn't have been locked up on that rookie on that last drive, T.Smith has way too much speed, Lewis or Allen should have been on him.
We have 4 division games left, starting with Cinci next week. I say we finish 12-4 or 11-5.

btaylor179
11-07-2011, 07:24 AM
how does he let that smith dude get behind him......he just ran right past him...hes horrible

Sixburgher
11-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Cool story, bro.

isunormalil
11-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Gay is lucky he didn't get beat a few plays earlier on that deep past that went off Tori's finger tips. He got really lucky there. I knew at that point it was a matter of plays before he got burned like a bad bag of popcorn.

I don't know how many were blitzing on that play that scored the TD...but you either trust your corners (which i don't) or you go with a heavy blitz. I prefer the heavy blitz and make him throw short passes and use clock.

Sixburgher
11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Gay is lucky he didn't get beat a few plays earlier on that deep past that went off Tori's finger tips. He got really lucky there.

Yeah, especially since Smith was Ike Taylor's responsibility on that play.

SteelCurtain5643
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Hes a joke. He doesnt even belong on this team, or any NFL team for that matter. Hes done nothing in his career and is nothing but a waste. GET RID OF HIM!

Fire Arians
11-07-2011, 04:07 PM

I'm standing by this. I think our personnel is fine, we just need to move gay to the #3 and Lewis as our #2 in base packages. Lewis has the physical tools that gay doesn't have, and is able to cover faster wr's or bigger, typical #2 WR's.

Tory Smith wasn't able to run by Lewis, and flacco had to use a comeback route to complete one in that matchup. I'd feel comfortable with lewis on a speedster type of player. Hell he's covered mike wallace and did more than hold his own in training camp. I think it's time that lebeau trusts him with more responsibility

ETL
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm standing by this. I think our personnel is fine, we just need to move gay to the #3 and Lewis as our #2 in base packages. Lewis has the physical tools that gay doesn't have, and is able to cover faster wr's or bigger, typical #2 WR's.

Tory Smith wasn't able to run by Lewis, and flacco had to use a comeback route to complete one in that matchup. I'd feel comfortable with lewis on a speedster type of player. Hell he's covered mike wallace and did more than hold his own in training camp. I think it's time that lebeau trusts him with more responsibility

I agree with you. I think Lewis has more physical tools but he may have been lacking in football intelligence and experience. I dont think one game will make me make a knee jerk change but he's someone to keep an eye on. I also think Cortez Allen may have potential as well.

FanSince72
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Gay has the chops - I've seen them - but he does tend to get lazy and in a game like last night, lazy is simply not an option. He let at least three critical passes get by him and I saw one (where Flacco was basically throwing while being tackled) that Gay actually watched go over his head and get caught when all he had to do was basically jump up and stick his hands out but didn't.

That's just not concentrating.

He has the speed and from time to time he can stay with someone like he's glued to them. But he reminds me a bit of Plaxico - when his head is in the game, he can be brilliant.

But when it's not... :doh:

DFWSTEELERFAN
11-08-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm tired of seeing the back of 22 chasing a wr that has beaten him. This one will leave a bad taste for a long time because that one big play will end up losing the biggest game of our season/ the division title for us.

The Gay supporters will say the one play didn't cost us the game, but I totally disagree. We should win that game 75 pct of the time up 4 and 30 yards out with that little time left.. All Gay had to do is stay on top of him for that play.. As stated in earlier in this thread, Gay clearly can't cover deep/speedsters. The play call was bad as well.. Apparently DL has as much faith in 22 as all the fan boys that are always sticking up for this jokester... Get rid of this clown before he costs us the next big game. If you have any doubt who the weak link is on this team, go back and re watch the Pats game last year...

I haven't had this much dislike for a Steeler player since D.Washington and Chad Scott. Gay seems like a nice kid who had a rough childhood, but that doesn't make him an NFL Player.

inturnmike
11-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Get out of here you fair weather fan...Go be a Browns fan. The season is over? Huh? Go look at our remaining schedule. We have 2 games vs. the Browns and the Bengals, and we play KC, St. Louis, and SF. I predict we will win out and end up 13-3. All of those remaining teams are very beatable. I think the Ravens could lose to SF and SD, making them 12-4. Should we get rid of Gay? Probably, or at least bench him in favor of someone else. I was calling for his head after last year's SB.

truesteelerfan
11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Obviously Ike is our #1- and this season is NOT over! But in a perfect world, I'd love to see Gay have to compete with BMac, Lewis, and even Brown to be our starter, or even our #3 or #4- I'm not convinced he's one of our players who doesn't have to make his mark in special teams. He looked good for a bit, but maybe now that teams have some film on him, his flaws are exposed and they know how to beat him- which does not bode well for us.

Steelersfan87
11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
What a shock, one game and sports fans overreact.

DanRooney
11-08-2011, 03:10 PM
http://burgh.us/9ow

Coverage stats from Steelers Depot. Not good all around. Gay was targeted 14 times...

casteeler
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
What a shock, one game and sports fans overreact.

One game? He's been getting burned for a few more than one game, this team has vastly improved since week 1 but the secondary has not improved at all. The secondary played well vs Brady but besides that.... Ugly. All season long Gay has been beaten on coverage, blown coverage and fallen flat on his face, plenty of DBs have a tough game or two but he has had more than a dozen over the past season and a half. Steeler fans have been bad mouthing this guy for a while and I feel bad for him but he's a #4 CB ... No higher

SoCalFan
11-08-2011, 05:45 PM
They played well against brady due to game planning and the QB pressure! We were leading the league in pass D,kinda confusing there!

Steelerfreak58
11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
LOL it was one game... sheesh

xbroughneck
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
On that play that Jordy Nelson couldn't bring in, William Gay kept running downield??? I wish he'd have kept running right into a different uniform. Reminds me a lot of Dewayne Washington all over again! FRUSTRATING!

Keynan isn't much better, but he's faster and he'll probably cost less to keep. Give Keynan ALL of Gays minutes because he won't be worse. He may not be better either, but I think Keynan is hungry.

DFWSTEELERFAN
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Gay wasn't exposed vs NE because they have no team speed (Outside of Welker/ who was covered by Ike)...

ricardisimo
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
http://burgh.us/9ow

Coverage stats from Steelers Depot. Not good all around. Gay was targeted 14 times...
He was targeted a lot, which is a first this season, for whatever reason. Been wondering about that. The question now is whether Gay can adjust. We'll see.

On a more promising note, his completion percentage was better than just about everyone but Clark. He gave up the TD, that's the big thing, but according to Clark that was his fault for not helping out up top.

I still have yet to see this proof that William Gay is either the best or worst cornerback to play the game. He's still performing (even in this, his worst game) remarkably better than the only guy who might push him for playing time, Keenan Lewis.

How exactly do most Steelers fans think this game is structured, that somehow you can just cut someone who under-performs one week and then... what? What do you do then? Whole lot of misplaced anger here, if you ask me. I'm at a loss to understand why they didn't go back to what they had been doing so well immediately before the Patriots game. The press coverage seemed kind of like a one-off to me, What do I know? :noidea:

Black N' Yellow
11-11-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of NFL teams would kill to have the Steeler's defensive backs, including Gay. He isn't the best in the league by any means, but he's far from the worst. He's gonna have games where he's lights-out and he's gonna have games where he'll get beat.

Besides, Taylor, Clark, and Polamalu get beat quite often in pass coverage and nobody's making threads to get rid of them? Shocker.

PhantomJB93
11-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I think it's hilarious that Gay, and the secondary in general, has been awesome all year except the two Ravens games, and all of a sudden everybody's acting like they've played awful in every game, and like shutting down the Pats and Brady is no big deal. Seriously, I've understood trashing Gay in the past, he's deserved it, but overreacting now is just uncalled for.

MasterOfPuppets
11-12-2011, 02:29 AM
How exactly do most Steelers fans think this game is structured, that somehow you can just cut someone who under-performs one week and then... what? What do you do then?

well duh ! :rolleyes: ...c'mon Ric , you know the drill.
after you cut said bum , then you get all warm and fuzzy about the back up ... you know ... the guy who couldn't beat out the freshly cut bum ? obviously the coaches who spend countless hours evaluating players based on what they see in practice don't have a clue ( especially that old guy with the 50 years of NFL experience ) , anywho , you get all excited over the new starter who you just know is a future HOF'er . then your knew man crush quickly comes to a screeching halt when all of the sudden you realize this guy is just as big , if not a bigger bum then the last bum ! .. lather , rinse , repeat ...:hatsoff:

here's an illustration...
deshea townsend .... why is this scrub still starting ? put Bmac in for gods sake !

bryant mcfadden.......McFadden sucks ! that gay guy looked great in preseason ! he should be starting !

william gay ............ gay is the worst CB in the league ! cut his ass and start lewis !

keenan lewis ......... to be continued.

DanRooney
11-12-2011, 02:36 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of NFL teams would kill to have the Steeler's defensive backs, including Gay. He isn't the best in the league by any means, but he's far from the worst. He's gonna have games where he's lights-out and he's gonna have games where he'll get beat.

Besides, Taylor, Clark, and Polamalu get beat quite often in pass coverage and nobody's making threads to get rid of them? Shocker.

lolol

Polamalu43
11-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Agree 110% Dude sucks...

Black N' Yellow
11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
lolol

Gay's just as good and better than most defensive backs in the league. He's not supposed to make all the big plays and he doesn't have the talent like Taylor. But he's not getting paid as a top corner and Pittsburgh doesn't need him to be. Plenty of teams would take him if he was available, he's not horrible by any means.

queeg
11-12-2011, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=rcoplien;918935]Let's start!! He has made some horrible coverage plays as a DB and basically stinks. Anyone Concur?[/QUOTE

Support the Steelers. Thus type of discussion is regretful!

queeg
11-12-2011, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=rcoplien;918935]Let's start!! He has made some horrible coverage plays as a DB and basically stinks. Anyone Concur?[/QUOTE

Support the Steelers. This type of discussion is regretful!

Steelervinny
11-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Gay is the worst corner on the team. Keenan Lewis definitely took his spot. He's been horrible ever since Brady burned him for 4 TD's last year. He's had an okay time up until last week. He was horrible. He is quick and he makes his tackles, but his coverage ability is seriously lacking. We need to draft a CB, and draft more OL's. Come on now Colbert. Gilbert and Pouncey was a good start, but we need to do more.

DanRooney
11-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Gay's just as good and better than most defensive backs in the league. He's not supposed to make all the big plays and he doesn't have the talent like Taylor. But he's not getting paid as a top corner and Pittsburgh doesn't need him to be. Plenty of teams would take him if he was available, he's not horrible by any means.

I agree with some of that. But to say there are plenty of teams that would jump at the opportunity to take our CBs is a stretch. Remember this is a DB group with ZERO turnovers. I'll take a wild guess and say that's the worst in the league. They are also product of a pressure based system which helps them out tremendously.

Taylor is good. Gay is "okay" if he's in the slot with a slow receiver who's not taller than him. He isn't "better than most DBs in the league." Lewis doesn't look like anything spectacular. Allen is just another body right now and hasn't had the opportunity to show anything.

Black N' Yellow
11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I agree with some of that. But to say there are plenty of teams that would jump at the opportunity to take our CBs is a stretch. Remember this is a DB group with ZERO turnovers. I'll take a wild guess and say that's the worst in the league. They are also product of a pressure based system which helps them out tremendously.

Taylor is good. Gay is "okay" if he's in the slot with a slow receiver who's not taller than him. He isn't "better than most DBs in the league." Lewis doesn't look like anything spectacular. Allen is just another body right now and hasn't had the opportunity to show anything.

Beats all the undrafted bodies in the Patriots secondary... :p

And I'd assume that most solid secondaries are the product of a front seven that consistently gets pressure on the quarterback. The Steelers haven't been able to do that as well as past years so that's why the turnovers aren't coming.

I personally think he's fine and won't complain if he gets resigned next year.

steelbad@50
11-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Good one.......:toofunny: