PDA

View Full Version : Missing: Heath Miller

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 10:34 PM
to avoid further hijacking of another thread, i thought this specific topic was very relevant of its own discussion. i know heath miller has been regarded more of a 6th lineman than a receiving threat this season, but spaeth did OK. especially when sanders went down, i thought it was the perfect opportunity to get heath more involved (which begs the question....

why wasnt he more involved in the first place?

i finally saw the ugliest of the ugly... heath miller was running wide open for a sure TD on the 2nd int ben tried to force to wallace.

someone dropped the ball not making miller a focal point of the offense. it was havilly regarded that all the opportunities in the world would be there for him to have a HUGE day.

maybe this was too obvious to arians. perhaps he had to outsmart and trick them by NOT using what what obviously shoulda been our most potent weapon.

i guarantee that had jermichael finley been healthy, it woulda been him carving us up instead of jordy nelson (who woulda had an even greater game had he not been hearing footsteps the whole time).

You sent me back to NFL Rewind

Yep - Miller was free around the Green Bay 35 on the left hashmark and raised his hand to let Ben know nobody was near him - if Ben makes a decent throw it is 6

Going into the game everyone said you could make yardage against Green Bay by throwing to the tight end - no clue why they did not exploit that (after Arians made Spaeth the focus of the game plan for the first Jets game)

the blueprint to attack lebeau/capers fire zone blitz is a true and tried method that has existed for years.

the oilers/titan's frank wycheck used to score a td on us every single game it seemed. can anyone really remember any wr's they had when him, mcnair, and e. george were the focal point of their offense.

the jags kyle brady used to give us fits when we were trying to shut down j. smith and k. mccardell.

ravens and browns used 2 high picks to select todd heap and k. winslow jr. to try to help knock us off our afc north throne.

we traded up to draft a safety (polamalu) to help combat this and make him a dynamic focal point of our defense.

we took our own tight end with aour 1st raound pick after 2004.

this is in a time when safeties and tight ends were typically regarded as 2nd round (or later picks).

teh bengals have jumped on board using a 1st round pick on a TE.

teh recurring theme here is the importance of a TE in defeating our scheme. to get to the playoffs you must 1st win the division.

the packers killed us with finley last season. the patriots dumped moss in favor of 2 rookie tight ends who killed us this year. any guesses to what the patriots woulda done had we met again?

why want heath a more vital part of our gameplan against the mirror image of our defense?

was it so obvious that we thought it was too obvious to work? :banging:

BehindSteelCurtain
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Are you implying that we draft a receiving TE?

Merchant
02-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Anyways.

I agree with everything you said, Tony. We got a stud in Heath and all season he was under-utilized. I have no explanation as to why. I understand that with the state of the O-Line he had to stay in more for protection, but that's no reason to have a weapon like that in your arsenal and not fire it.

I'm not a huge Arians basher but some blame has to be given to the Offensive Coordinator. But then again, Arians was the coordinator in '09 when Heath had his probowl year. So what gives?

I have no explanation.

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Are you implying that we draft a receiving TE?lol... no.

i thought that was quite evident when i noted we spent a 1st round pick on heath miller in 2005 (and then a 3 rounder on spaeth in 07).

miller makes a ton of money. he is regarded as one of the best tight ends in the league.

what i am implying is that a great TE is an integral weapon when it comes to combating the fire zone blitz.

the steelers should be the last team to lose sight of this.

BehindSteelCurtain
02-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Heath is no athletic freak lol.......Hes more of security blanket type guy and someone that can get a opening and haul it in

ETL
02-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Has Arians answered the question you ask?

Why wasn't Heath used more often?

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Has Arians answered the question you ask?

Why wasn't Heath used more often?

i would love some accountability on the matter, but im sure he would just say the players didnt execute the call (i.e. blame ben).

kudos to ben for manning (not peyton or eli) up and taking the blame... something coaches need to do every once and a while.

TRH
02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
i was shocked we didn't use Heath more in the SB. During the week, most of the analysts thought he would be our "secret weapon".
instead, Arians went overboard with the use of Wallace.

Backfire.

Men of Steel
02-07-2011, 11:45 PM

are you serious with keeping that sig pic of parker and holmes???
:noidea: :doh:

tony hipchest
02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
i was shocked we didn't use Heath more in the SB. During the week, most of the analysts thought he would be our "secret weapon".
instead, Arians went overboard with the use of Wallace.

Backfire.i do agree that wallace was a main focal point (possibly to a fault), but he had just about the same statistics in the regular season as greg jennings.

this is why i cant just throw arians under the bus and not place some blame on ben.

wallace had a great TD grab and led the team in receptions. had bens arm not been hit on the 1st int, the throw to wallace coulda very well been a td completion with a perfect throw (like the one rodgers hit jordy nelson with on the packers 1st td). ben missed a wide open wallace where all he had to do was lead him to the pylon.

all good calls on paper.

i also believe that mendenhall and the running game was a much bigger part of the gameplan than what we saw. the steelers had some great rushing plays drawn up. being down 14-0 and then 21-3 pretty much neccessitated that we abandon the run to play catch up, but once we caught up, we saw some very effective runs. it was too little, too late.

i think we gameplanned to use 2 great weapons (wallace and mendenhall) and failed to adjust to miller when we quickly got behind.

the evidence shows that ben may have missed some reads and tried to force the issue at the most inopportune times. the coaches may have failed by using up all their running plays when the absense of c. woodson opened the doors to start slinging it to miller.

are you serious with keeping that sig pic of parker and holmes???
:noidea: :doh:

:chuckle:

scsteeler
02-08-2011, 02:08 AM
lol... no.

i thought that was quite evident when i noted we spent a 1st round pick on heath miller in 2005 (and then a 3 rounder on spaeth in 07).

miller makes a ton of money. he is regarded as one of the best tight ends in the league.

what i am implying is that a great TE is an integral weapon when it comes to combating the fire zone blitz.

the steelers should be the last team to lose sight of this.

Miller was open a lot and correct me if I am wrong the QB should see this and go to him more when he makes his reads. I love Ben as our QB but he wants the Big Play to often sometimes and will not take the short underneath plays that keep drives alive sometimes.

BritishSteel
02-08-2011, 05:11 AM
I don't have an answer for why we looked beyond Heath Miller when the guy was downfield and available, but in general, and the reduction in Miller's production recently I think is a joint result of recent O-Line woes and the fact Arians doesn't play with a full back. He's a good blocker is Heath, and he spends a lot of time on Arians O wrestling with OLBs.

TRH
02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Miller was open a lot and correct me if I am wrong the QB should see this and go to him more when he makes his reads. I love Ben as our QB but he wants the Big Play to often sometimes and will not take the short underneath plays that keep drives alive sometimes.

Heath is too busy blocking these days. Ben usually finds him when he can....i don't have a problem with this.
Problem with a play like the last one is that you CANNOT get sacked and Arians had him looking Wallace all the way and it had to be the forced throw unfortunately.
We over-used Wallace in the game and at that point the Packers were reading it all the way.

eafratitpm3
02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I know this really has no bearing on this thread but I'll say it anyways, did anyone notice on the last play the Steelers had on offense that if Ben would have pumped it to Wallace, Heath was wide open in the left flat, just saying. I get the impression that Heath was open like that more times during the game but we look to much for the big play instead of taking what is given to us. My 2 cents!

lionslicer
02-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I know Arians this season has used Heath way differently than he has in the past because he's a very good pass blocker and that line needed a lot of help.

MasterOfPuppets
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
my reply to a poster in another thread...

he had a few , but since heath and the RB's combined for 16 receptions and 216 yds the last time they played the packers, arians in his infinite wisdom , decided he would out smart capers and not use them in the passing game ....you know...since capers might expect him to use plays that worked well before.

heath - 7 / 118 yds
mendy - 6 / 73
moore - 3 / 25