PDA

View Full Version : Steeler fans

GBpack2010
02-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Just a couple questions for you guys. You guys think we will meet again next season in the super bowl? Is this years team better then the 08 steelers or worse?

BehindSteelCurtain
02-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I think worse.....Our D is getting old....Too many distractions this year...Hopefully Ben gets his act together and we have a good draft and maybe well be back.....Repeating is the hardest thing to do in sports.

SteelCityMom
02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Just a couple questions for you guys. You guys think we will meet again next season in the super bowl?

I'd love nothing more than that...but the chances of it happening are very slim. It just doesn't happen very often with Cap based sports teams anymore.

Is this years team better then the 08 steelers or worse?

There are aspects of this team I think are better and worse this year compared to the '08 team.

The pass defense is worse, by far. They weren't the worst in the league or anything, but definitely nothing like they were in '08. They didn't allow a lot of points in the regular season though despite allowing (what always seemed like) a ton of yards. They were very bend but don't break in that aspect.

Run defense was actually better, but that had a lot to do with the fact that teams were throwing on the D more than usual.

Offense is kind of a wash in some areas for me. As well as Holmes stepped up in the SB, he didn't have any kind of amazing year in '08 until the playoffs hit. Wallace kind of did the opposite, but it's only his second year.

The OL was more injured this year, but played better at times...especially in run blocking. Mendy was definitely an upgrade over a declining Parker.

Ben, despite missing 4 games, I feel had a better regular season...and unfortunately a worse post season. The offense as a whole though was much better in the red zone than they had been in the past. It used to be they could move at will in between the 20's, but just couldn't get 7. They did a lot better with that this year IMO.

The TO ratio this year was out of this world. +17 in the regular season...Ben only threw 5 picks and Mendy only had 2 fumbles. Unfortunately, that didn't hold in the postseason.

ST's was better in '08 (aside from the punter), but this years ST's was better than last years. They've had trouble being consistently good in that department, but last year was just horrendous.

Sorry for the long rant lol. I'll stop there.

4xSBChamps
02-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I think this year's Steeler team was weaker than in '08, but that had little to do with last-night's outcome... too-many off-field distractions, beginning before training camp started, then the League deciding they didn't like the way Pittsburgh tackled opposing players, combined with the loss of Holmes, who despite being a meat-head (and probably a long-term cancer), is clutch

next year, Goodell will make Polamalu, Harrison & Woodley play in stiletto-heeled shoes & French maid costumes, to minimize their effectiveness ~ early rumor has-it that Goodell will loan these players equipment from his personal collection ~ so Pittsburgh's defense will be challenged even-further

wootawnee
02-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Dude.......You guys were one play away from a loss........Just remember..........One play is minus seven points...........That is how fragile these big games are............One play, and you are watchin Ben hoist it.........Thats all it takes............................................. ..Remember.............One play..............Congrats.......
Good luck next year...........

StainlessStill
02-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Just a couple questions for you guys. You guys think we will meet again next season in the super bowl? Is this years team better then the 08 steelers or worse?

I think the potential is huge for a repeat of this year, I really do. Pittsburgh/GB are simply built for title runs. If GB can get their men back to 100% healthy and if God forbid we can actually keep an offensive line together for atleast one game can pay dividends to both our chances.

As for 2008, that defense was 10X better. The first 3 games of this season, we showed the dominance of that '08 defense but overall, 2008 and that D was lights out. I mean, teams couldn't even gain ANY amount of yardage and it was game after game after game. The only team I remember moving the ball was Tenn. Other than that, that '08 D was a PHENOM. They did what we couldn't do this year. Force turnovers (Harrison's pick 6 in XLIII.)

DoctorCAD
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Steeler fans ALWAYS expect that we will be in the Super Bowl, after all, we have been in a lot of them.

As far as Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh next season, we will be there, but the general rule is that the winner falls to pieces the following season, so NO...it won't be against you.

pete74
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Steeler fans ALWAYS expect that we will be in the Super Bowl, after all, we have been in a lot of them.

As far as Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh next season, we will be there, but the general rule is that the winner falls to pieces the following season, so NO...it won't be against you.

the losing team also generally falls to pieces

i hope we make it back next season and i see green bay competing for the super bowl every year for the next 7-8 years. there a very young team and its scary to think but they will only get better if they can keep this team together

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
2008 we had a better team as far as established playmakers go, but I think this year's team has more talent.

inexperience in the WR corps really was our undoing, ben couldn't find rhythm with any of them. not having santonio hurt, bad. ben sort of relied on him for big plays all the time, and as much as I like wallace, he's not as good as tone... yet.

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2011, 01:23 PM
2008 we had a better team as far as established playmakers go, but I think this year's team has more talent.

inexperience in the WR corps really was our undoing, ben couldn't find rhythm with any of them. not having santonio hurt, bad. ben sort of relied on him for big plays all the time, and as much as I like wallace, he's not as good as tone... yet.

Agree this teammay have more talent on offense vbut is a lesser than the 2008 team

Timmons is better than he was in 2008 and an upgrade over Foote, but there was a decline pretty much across the secondary and Hood was a step down from 2008 Smith so the D was not as good

O-line actually improved over the second half of the season and was pretty much equal to 2008, Mendy was an upgrade over Holmes, but while the current WRs have more long term talent (excluding an aging Ward) they are not the equal of 2008 Ward, Holmes an Nate W.

Ben was hurt the second half of the year and had the personal mess that impacted his ability to work with new receivers so i would go with 2008 Ben

Kicking was nominally better in 2008 - this year's punting was better than 2008 but Reed was still money as a placekicker in 2008

So the better of the 2 Steelers teams was the one with the Lombardi

SteelSurf
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Dude.......You guys were one play away from a loss........Just remember..........One play is minus seven points...........That is how fragile these big games are............One play, and you are watchin Ben hoist it.........Thats all it takes............................................. ..Remember.............One play..............Congrats.......

Technically, 1 1/2 plays. My wife is convinced Christina Aguilara's horrible rendition of the National Anthem played a part in all of this.
I tried debating the issue, but she looked at me with those cold dead eyes she has and said," And THAT..is a Bitchslap of reality right there!"

cydnub
02-08-2011, 02:42 PM

I was thinking that play was a 14 point play, as the receiver looked open for 6 had Ben's arm not been hit. Game of inches indeed.

GBpack2010
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah the fumble was a real killer for the Steelers. If Mendenhall doesnt fumble we could easily be sitting here talking about your 7th lombardi instead of us.

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 07:18 PM
If Ben didnt look passed Heath that could of been for 6 to....:doh:

GBpack2010
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
If Ben didnt look passed Heath that could of been for 6 to....:doh:

Hey man I felt the same way after super bowl 32 loss against the Broncos. Just never give up and keep the faith. I know it's hard to do.

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey man I felt the same way after super bowl 32 loss against the Broncos. Just never give up and keep the faith. I know it's hard to do.

No worries mate...I never give up the faith. Its just a game of what if's. :thumbsup:

cloppbeast
02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
It's pretty much the exact same team, except a few years younger. A few starters changed, and STs was better in '08.

The major difference between '08 and '10 was injuries to the entire offensive line and Aaron Smith.

Steelerz4Life
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
It would be great if our teams play again. It would be great to beat you. WIth a little luck, Charlie Batch will start at QB against you. It would be highly unlikely he would personally hand the game to you like Ben did.

SteelCityMom
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
It would be great if our teams play again. It would be great to beat you. WIth a little luck, Charlie Batch will start at QB against you. It would be highly unlikely he would personally hand the game to you like Ben did.

You're a joke.

GBpack2010
02-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Hand us the game? Are you kidding me? We forced the turnovers and forced you to make mistakes. Ben played good and got his team back in the game. Come on man please dont be a sore loser. You got a good fanbase and most are giving us credit.

StainlessStill
02-08-2011, 11:47 PM

You DO know Ben Roethlisberger brought us within 3 points in the 4th QRT, right? STFU already. I love Charlie, but do you REALLY think he would of brought the Steelers back into that game down 21-3? Didn't think so. Again, STFU.

We were down 21-17 and driving for the go ahead score with most of the momentum until Mendy fumbled. That fumble right there was our game. Complete gut-wrencher.

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
do you REALLY think he would of brought the Steelers back into that game down 21-3?

Every Packer fan was holding their breath during that final drive, knowing that Big Ben was fully capable of pulling off the game winning drive for the victory.

We're used to beating Batch when he played for the Lions. Your best bet for the future is Big Ben.

StainlessStill
02-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Every Packer fan was holding their breath during that final drive, knowing that Big Ben was fully capable of pulling off the game winning drive for the victory.

We're used to beating Batch when he played for the Lions. Your best bet for the future is Big Ben.

I'm honestly waiting patiently and only ask for ONE season to where we can sure up our offensive line and keep Ben from having to run for his life play after play after play. I'll take Ben over anybody, period. He's the perfect Pittsburgh QB. The special teams 15 yard penalty really sealed our fate and made it very difficult for us to go 86 yards to pay-dirt.

That 3rd and 10 play Rodgers completed on the FG drive was also a huge baring on our chances.