PDA

View Full Version : We could have won this game!!!

ETL
02-08-2011, 12:22 AM
That is what so F#$%ing frustrating.

I know the media painted Rodger to be invincible but he wasn't and the Packers weren't either. They were beatable. But instead, we beat ourselves.

If Ben played better with crisper passes
If Arians had a more comprehensive game plan
If Heath Miller was utilized in the middle of the packers defense where time and time again, our receivers were open
If on the first series, we played better - a 3rd down pass to Antonio Brown who had make a route adjustment on the fly - are you ****ing kidding me?!?!?
If our D makes one of those long 3rd and long stops
If Ben and Wallace were on the same page on long passes
If Ben didn't wear that visor which I think distorts light just a bit to cause him to play poorer
So many ifs - its driving me crazy. These packers were definitely beatable and we let them off the hook.

I hope these players know what a precious opportunity they let slip through their fingers. i hope these coaches know what a dumb ass game plan they had - especially Arians for not utilizing Miller more. Our QB seems too scared to utilize the middle - he played not to lose and that is what happened!

God so frustrating!

TRH
02-08-2011, 12:27 AM
If's, if's, if's, if's........
Ben's taking too much heat. I thought there were bigger if's on the defense. Also, hidden on the sidelines, Arians needs some of the heat going Ben's way.

StainlessStill
02-08-2011, 12:29 AM
We could have won Super Bowl XXX as well. Doesn't change the fact we did NOT show up. Plain and simple. We didn't show up for the Super Bowl, which is very dis-heartening givin we are the Pittsburgh Steelers. I give GB a lot of credit, but we would have lost to any playoff team yesterday, period.

Merchant
02-08-2011, 12:32 AM
We coulda beaten the Cowboys in '95. We coulda beaten the Patriots in '01 and '04. We coulda beaten the Jags in '07.

I can go on my friend. But there's no point in dwelling on what could have happened. Jack Ham said that when he sees Roger Staubach he still talks about how the Cowboys could have won those two Super Bowls.

We coulda. But we didn't. What's done is done and can't be undone. Just gotta move on from it.

TRH
02-08-2011, 12:33 AM
We could have won Super Bowl XXX as well. Doesn't change the fact we did NOT show up. Plain and simple. We didn't show up for the Super Bowl, which is very dis-heartening givin we are the Pittsburgh Steelers. I give GB a lot of credit, but we would have lost to any playoff team yesterday, period.

i completely agree with you. You can blame the defense, blame Ben, blame Arians, blame penalties, and so on, and so on...
But the thing i took away most from the game is that we looked listless and lifeless. Deer in headlights sorta. Just like the NE game, although not quite as bad. We looked casual...like no big deal.
Then on the other side of the field Clay Mathews is jumping up and down, flexing, his counterparts are baring their teeth too......bottom line : they wanted it MORE. and they got it. there's no denying that. There's no one that can tell me that we wanted it more than they did.
And thats really whats frustrating. If we would have showed up, we had a damn good chance to win this one.

ETL
02-08-2011, 12:34 AM
I want some confession.

I want some player or coach to say that they did not show up yesterday and confess that they were not ready. I don't want them in their cover-their-ass mode. I want a confession and then leave it up to our graces if we want them back or not

I want to know what they will learn from this. I want boneheads to pay for their boneheaded plays.

Mundy - your only contribution yesterday was to move us back 15 yards. Fox - you too. Both of youse should go over and ask the Packers for a Super Bowl ring because youse deserve one in their eyes.

TRH
02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Hasn't Tomlin already had this conversation with these guys (especially Fox) by now?????

He needs to get in their face...and DEMAND that they walk away from any hit or fight. End of play, after the play, whatever. Or there will be severe consequences.

Quasar
02-08-2011, 12:38 AM
What is this not showing up business? We were -3 in turnovers, and still had a chance to win the game with less than a minute to go! You have to show up to overcome that kind of adversity!

Reminds me of how Bradshaw's Steelers were behind in both Super Bowls to Dallas, and even the one against the Rams, but came back to win. I expected the Steelers to come back, even down 21-3. This team doesn''t roll over, and America knew it. The most watched moment of the game was Ben's final pass, meaning viewers stuck around to the end.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 12:40 AM
if it wasn't for losing, we totally would've won

Men of Steel
02-08-2011, 12:42 AM
dam dude i know its tough if you think about all the things that went wrong in the game, but do not take anything away from green bay, they played clean solid football. made the plays the steelers didnt and didnt make the mistakes we did.

thats it !!! give credit where it is due, no excuses and think, we probably should have not even made the super bowl, with all the close games we got away with this year, and all the drama early on the year.

so just CHILL THE F*** OUT !!!!! :doh:

ETL
02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Tom Brady when he played the Steelers this year was yelling at his players for making a mental error ... even when they had a humongous lead. In his eyes, to beat a team like the Steelers - YOU HAVE TO PLAY PERFECT BALL!

I hate Brady and his ******y ass but we needed that type of intensity and drive yesterday. WE HAD TO PLAY PERFECT BALL - and we would have won this game by 2 TDs! But the players were trying to stay loose and they were TOO LOOSE and making errors all over the place.

I heard Tomlin was yelling at his players at halftime - but being a headcoach at halftime is like being a lameduck president. What can he do to you if you fail - there's no more practices.

The team laid a big fat stinkin turd and they found themselves stuck in it.

blkngld4ever
02-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I want some confession.

I want some player or coach to say that they did not show up yesterday and confess that they were not ready. I don't want them in their cover-their-ass mode. I want a confession and then leave it up to our graces if we want them back or not

I want to know what they will learn from this. I want boneheads to pay for their boneheaded plays.

Mundy - your only contribution yesterday was to move us back 15 yards. Fox - you too. Both of youse should go over and ask the Packers for a Super Bowl ring because youse deserve one in their eyes.

Ya I was thinking the same thing. I know im a knowbody fan that doesnt deserve any explanation. But I want some answers from Troy , harrison and others as to what happened and why they didnt show for this game. It would ease the pain it really would.

ETL
02-08-2011, 12:50 AM
dam dude i know its tough if you think about all the things that went wrong in the game, but do not take anything away from green bay, they played clean solid football. made the plays the steelers didnt and didnt make the mistakes we did.

thats it !!! give credit where it is due, no excuses and think, we probably should have not even made the super bowl, with all the close games we got away with this year, and all the drama early on the year.

so just CHILL THE F*** OUT !!!!! :doh:

Dude, If we played like crap and Green Bay played perfect game and the score was 30-3 - I wouldn't be so upset. If we played well and green bay played well and the score was 31-28 (losing) - I wouldn't be so upset.

We played like crap and they played a perfect game and we lost by 6 points. That is what kills me. We had a chance to win this game despite playing like crap. Can you understand where the frustration comes.

I don't mind if we are beaten by a superior opponent. If we both played well and they beat us - fine. I can accept that. We played like crap and it wasn't because they made us. Passes were off target, stupid decisions, stupid penalties, and even then we could have won.

It's like losing your dream job because you decided to smoke pot the night before the interview.

Aussie Steeler
02-08-2011, 02:09 AM
The thing that really changed that game I reckon is Mendy's fumble. All the momentum was going our way. Our defense was making the stops. Our offense looked damn good. Ben was making throws after throws and we were running the ball well .. then Mendy fumbled. We still could've got back into it IFFFFFFFFFF our defense stopped some third and longs during that drive. From memory, there were three third and longs in that TD drive which our D failed to stop :(

Men of Steel
02-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Dude, If we played like crap and Green Bay played perfect game and the score was 30-3 - I wouldn't be so upset. If we played well and green bay played well and the score was 31-28 (losing) - I wouldn't be so upset.

We played like crap and they played a perfect game and we lost by 6 points. That is what kills me. We had a chance to win this game despite playing like crap. Can you understand where the frustration comes.

I don't mind if we are beaten by a superior opponent. If we both played well and they beat us - fine. I can accept that. We played like crap and it wasn't because they made us. Passes were off target, stupid decisions, stupid penalties, and even then we could have won.

It's like losing your dream job because you decided to smoke pot the night before the interview.

haha i totally agree with this post. from that angle you are right. obviously if we played good football we would have wooped them.

but the packers were focused, the steelers were not. its frustrating, but hopefully this makes them come back stronger and better next year.

BritishSteel
02-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Yeah, we could have won it, but for our self-inflicted screw-ups, but let's not take anything away from The Packers - they minimised their own weaknesses and exploited ours relentlessly. We didn't effectively exploit theirs (even though we had sufficient evidence of where they lay on our first TD drive - they couldn't defend the run) until it was too late to use it effectively.

What you take from defeat is often more useful long-term than what you take from victory - I hope and think we won't cruise into next season (if there is a next season) like we cruised into the 2009/10 season. Hopefully it still stings enough to be a motivator.

theplatypus
02-08-2011, 07:13 AM
If's, if's, if's, if's........
Ben's taking too much heat. I thought there were bigger if's on the defense. Also, hidden on the sidelines, Arians needs some of the heat going Ben's way.

I was watching playbook and the piece they did on Ben's performance really illustrated his issues. There were numerous plays where Ben had one or even two wide open receivers and he held the ball looking for a lower percentage yet bigger play. The play where he was sacked in the 3rd is a perfect example. We had 2 men open one about 10-12 yards down field and the other about 18, Ben looked them off and looked for the big play which led to a sack. He needs to learn to take the high percentage play and put together drives.

SoonerSteeler
02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe it was just me, but I got the feeling that I was watching a intermural game at times when we were on offense. You know, those play as you go, make it up at the line kind of thing. I personally didn't see any lack of effort, but a lack of preparation seemed pretty apparent. We weren't prepared and they were. That said, I thought it was amazing that the Steelers still had a shot at the end and was a testament of just how good this team is, or at least could be. I know Mendy's fumble was huge (2 hands dude! 2 hands), but I feel that the subsequent 3 and 10 play with our defense in man to man was just as big. Rodgers had to be salivating when he saw what we were in when he came to the line! Like I said, preparation, or at least a lack there of. Should have been # 7.

Steelrule
02-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Look, we all know we played like crap, some of it self inflicted, some because of Green Bay. Yet, with two mins to go, we still had a chance to win. Yeah, just think out it might have turned out had we played a "complete" game. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, DIDN'T! End of story.

Rinkleroot
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Steelers got beat, get over it already!! You sound like a bunch of pats fans acting like they deserve the SB just because they had the best record.

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 03:47 PM
And if Lincoln didn't go to the theater, he might have lived to a ripe old age.

It is what it is and it's water under the bridge.

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2011, 04:25 PM

If you watch a replay of the game you will see Green Bay played far from a perfect game - some examples

First possession of the third quarter Rodgers hits Jones in the hands on a slant pattern down the right hashmark - if Jones des not drop that easy catch he is behind Gay, troy is the only DB left withaterible angle, and it is 28-10

Two possessions later receiver droppped a catchable ball on third down that killed a drive - several drops by Green Bay kept the game in range of a comeback

By January the Packers were playing better ball - there is a reason they were favored by 3, won three playoff games on the road, and had double digit leads in every playoff game - they could win while not needing to play at their absolute peak

Steelers were 2-4 in the regular season against playoff teams (1-3 after Roethlisberger returned), probably were a one and done playoff team if Polamalu's strip sack on Flacco did not result in a bye + home field advantage, and struggled in both home playoff wins for extended periods of time - this was not a great team that had its worst game of the season in Dallas

Consider the possibility the 2010 Steelers overachieved, give them credit for not collapsing after going down 21-3, and enjoy how far they came

bornaSteelersfan
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
We certainly could have won this game. People keep saying the game was lost when Mendy fumbled and over-analyze it. The Steelers came back after that, scored a TD and a 2-point conversion and were completely pumped and in a position to win the game with only a 3-point deficit. RandleEl's 2-point conversion and celebration of it had our team completed jacked up. Then the defense came out and immediately got a sack. I am quite sure that when GB was on their own 25 and 3rd down, every Steeler fan was on the edge of their seat completely expecting a big play from the D. That throw of Rodgers perfectly dropped in to an open Greg Jennings between 3 defenders was where we lost it. There is not a Steeler fan out there, based on Ben's performance in the game, that was sure we could get the ball back and win after that. Holding them to a field goal only prolonged the inevitable. Sure Ben had 2 minutes and a timeout, but without a running game, there was no hope. Stopping GB on that 3rd down was key and our D failed.

MaineSteelerFan
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=ETL;919070]That is what so F#$%ing frustrating.

If Ben and Wallace were on the same page on long passes

I feel your pain man, and that's the key right there. I hope they work on this in the off season. Its not just Ben, Wallace needs to adjust better, to help Ben out a bit. They are a half a tick off, once they get there all I can say is WOW.