PDA

View Full Version : EVERYBODY.....STOP!!

BengalDestroyer
02-08-2011, 05:35 AM
I've been reading these forums since Sunday and everybody needs to stop over reacting about LeBuea, and Willie etc. Stop trying (or coming up with these ideas of) getting rid of people, especially Dick! (are you kidding?) The Draft is in April, and we need a better OL and a better corner (than BMac)...Steeler Nation, don't jump to absurd conclusions and keep your head up, besides all of our rookies this year now have that much more experience.

BKAnthem
02-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I agree with the needs, but Colbert will probably draft 5 RB's this time around to go with the 14 LB's he took last draft

TRH
02-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I agree with the needs, but Colbert will probably draft 5 RB's this time around to go with the 14 LB's he took last draft

lol. Thats what i was thinking. Its so clear we need DB's and some OL help, but watch....they'll take a LB in the 1st.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't think we can afford to ignore getting some serious help at db right now.

call me crazy but i think our OL is doing a good job right now. with colon and starks back it's actually looking quite good. we could use more help at guard but honestly corner is a much bigger need.

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I've been reading these forums since Sunday and everybody needs to stop over reacting about LeBuea, and Willie etc. Stop trying (or coming up with these ideas of) getting rid of people, especially Dick! (are you kidding?) The Draft is in April, and we need a better OL and a better corner (than BMac)...Steeler Nation, don't jump to absurd conclusions and keep your head up, besides all of our rookies this year now have that much more experience.

See, this is what I'm talking about.

When people write something like: "Stop trying (or coming up with these ideas of) getting rid of people, especially Dick! (are you kidding?)"

I want to scream NO, I'M NOT KIDDING!

I don't necessarily think Dick has to go, but someone needs to sit down with him and talk about why we've had the one of the worst secondaries in the league for almost a decade.

LeBeau is a great guy, a great coach, but this "Walk on water" crap has to stop and we have to realize that he's not perfect and that he may not have all the answers. Just because everyone sees him as a living legend doesn't mean he's infallible.

Someone needs to tell Lebeau that the world doesn't begin and end with linebackers and that the NFL has become a passer's league.

grward
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Wow. Simply wow. Our FO does a superb job at the draft compared to other organizations. We sign and keep more players, who produce, than most other teams. And you are going to bash on Colbert. He does a great job of identifying the best talent on the board that fits our style of play.

grward
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
See, this is what I'm talking about.

When people write something like: "Stop trying (or coming up with these ideas of) getting rid of people, especially Dick! (are you kidding?)"

I want to scream NO, I'M NOT KIDDING!

I don't necessarily think Dick has to go, but someone needs to sit down with him and talk about why we've had the one of the worst secondaries in the league for almost a decade.

LeBeau is a great guy, a great coach, but this "Walk on water" crap has to stop and we have to realize that he's not perfect and that he may not have all the answers. Just because everyone sees him as a living legend doesn't mean he's infallible.

Someone needs to tell Lebeau that the world doesn't begin and end with linebackers and that the NFL has become a passer's league.

So you are just saying the same thing as the OP. I don't think he wants to give everyone a pass. He just is pointing out that we don't need to be in panic mode and start firing coaches and players.

I agree with what you are saying ... LeBeau hasn't caught on to the pass protection concept. We've noticed this since 2008 season and almost lost SB that year b/c of it.

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
So you are just saying the same thing as the OP. I don't think he wants to give everyone a pass. He just is pointing out that we don't need to be in panic mode and start firing coaches and players.

I agree with what you are saying ... LeBeau hasn't caught on to the pass protection concept. We've noticed this since 2008 season and almost lost SB that year b/c of it.

I'm 53 years old and I've seen enough Steeler football to know not to panic.

All I'm saying is that every time we lose a big game, the blame starts making its rounds but LeBeau always seems to get a pass because "He's God". It's as if we're "allowed" to blame everyone and everything --- except him because he's beloved and the greatest defensive blah, blah, blah.

He may very well be some or all of those things but he's not God and he HAS (in my humble opinion) made mistakes and I think his biggest mistake has been focusing too much on the "front seven" at the expense of "the back four".

grward
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM

All I'm saying is that every time we lose a big game, the blame starts making its rounds but LeBeau always seems to get a pass because "He's God". It's as if we're "allowed" to blame everyone and everything --- except him because he's beloved and the greatest defensive blah, blah, blah.

He may very well be some or all of those things but he's not God and he HAS (in my humble opinion) made mistakes and I think his biggest mistake has been focusing too much on the "front seven" at the expense of "the back four".

Agreed.

Sixburgher
02-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2011, 11:51 AM
not sure there is too much "starter" talent that "gets us over the edge" at any position when Picking 31st in the draft...so...ya know...its a tough go...suck and get high draft picks and load up on talent...or be great, get low draft picks and make them count...

the entire team failed Sunday...not "one guy" not "one key position"

so unless you plan on changing the entire coaching staff, the entire roster and the entire build of this team, we can only hope to fix a couple spots with some youth, that will take time to develop and in a couple years see if this year's draft picks pan out.

OX1947
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Any great and accurate QB is going to throw the ball well no matter how good the D is. Sure there are times when a great offense is stopped somewhat but not all the time. The Steelers lost this Super Bowl, pure and simple, because the offense couldnt stop making mistakes. 3 turnovers, led to 21 points. 2 turnovers and 14 points would have won it still. Defense made key stops with the help of some drops as well.

I do not want to blame it all on Big Ben, but he is the QB. That second INT was bad. Miller was wide open on that play. That overthrow that would have taken the lead for wallace, that was a back breaker. Great Qbs, need to make those throws in the Super Bowl.

And as far as disipline is concerned. The steelers special teams penalties destroyed the steelers in the super bowl. The Mundy block in the back killed a good return and Fox killed a good return on that last drive.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
fire arians

kirklandrules
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM

It's not LeBeau who focuses on the front seven versus the back four. That falls more to Colbert and Tomlin with input from the assistant coaches when they draft/sign players to the team. LeBeau can only coach and strategize to the personnel he has. In the end, it is up to the players to make plays. How many times the blitz was just a split second from getting to Rogers and a DB was just a hair shy of getting a hand/finger on the ball? We can sit around and lay blame on players or coaches, but I saw the Packers elevate their play in the biggest game and the Steelers did not. When I say Steelers, I mean QB, RB, WRs, O-Line, LBs, D-line, DBs, special teams. Instead of laying blame, ask the question of who specifically played a championship game for the Steelers? Coming down to the last drive, that failed, I was thinking if the Steelers win, who the hell would they select as the MVP? Because no one from this team played the most valuable role.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 01:30 PM
probably hines ward again. he was the only guy out there who i thought played really well

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 01:58 PM
It's not LeBeau who focuses on the front seven versus the back four. That falls more to Colbert and Tomlin with input from the assistant coaches when they draft/sign players to the team. LeBeau can only coach and strategize to the personnel he has. In the end, it is up to the players to make plays...

Look, I get what you're saying and to some extent I agree with you.

But I simply refuse to believe that a man with LeBeau's pedigree -- an active coach who was just elected to the HOF -- has absolutely no say in what direction the defense goes or who ought to be drafted or acquired and for what position.

C'mon man!

Do you really believe that if LeBeau walked into Colbert's office and told him the we need better DB's that Colbert would say, "Thanks for the suggestion Dick, but that's none of your concern"?

As far as "players playing" that's a given. But the philosophy and strategies with which they play comes from the coach and in my opinion, we can do a helluva lot better in the secondary than what I've seen in the last ten years.

BengalDestroyer
02-08-2011, 05:05 PM
fire arians

Now that I agree with, but not based on the SB....

LVSteelersfan
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
There is not enough money with the salary cap to be able to fill every single position with top notch players. There is no team in football that doesn't have weaknesses somewhere on the field. So the front office does what they can to stay within the budgetary restraints. They drafted DBs two years ago and they obviously did not work out. I am sure the plan was that those DBs from two years ago would be ready to step up and play this year. Instead we are stuck with William Gay in the nickel (he is forced to play because no one tries to run on us) and McFadden who is subpar at best. They drafted LBs last year because Harrison is getting older and there is a very good possibility that Woodley will go elsewhere in the next couple years. The draft was EXCELLENT this past year. If people can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. BTW, Arians needs to be given the heave ho, but since we made it to the Super Bowl yet again despite his stupid play calling, we will be stuck with him for yet another year.

tube517
02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Who said anything about WIllie Colon?

MattsMe
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
EVERYBODY.....STOP!!

Collaborate and listen...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKVmO89Z0XX0ypZVjNDC5w2dBeyef0V XWA-x_YXkvUZyWrcSNuCQ

http://www.grannygear.com/Assets/Images/Races/Bigbear/2005/THE_BIKE_STOP_____Hammer_Time_.jpg

SoCalFan
02-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I agree.WE MADE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL!!! We do need to cut back in places and obviously build up our secondary.

Danny136200
02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Ridiculous statements are ridiculous.

ZoneBlitzer
02-09-2011, 02:57 AM
I don't think we can afford to ignore getting some serious help at db right now.

call me crazy but i think our OL is doing a good job right now. with colon and starks back it's actually looking quite good. we could use more help at guard but honestly corner is a much bigger need.

Nope, not crazy. Evidently linemen are expendable. I was stunned to see how well the 2nd and third tier group performed in the final game. And let's face it, linemen just need to be big fat guys with reasonable intelligence, athleticism and strength to handle the position plus they can get away with cheating on every play because holding happens all the time. The DB position is another story. The Steelers have been terrible in acquiring talent for this position in their recent history. That has got to change, now.