PDA

View Full Version : Flags too much for Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Flags too much for Steelers

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 8, 2011

DALLAS The Steelers found ways to overcome penalties all season long to pull out wins, but they couldn't do so in Super Bowl XLV.

Six penalties was the average for the Steelers this year, and they finished with that again Sunday in a 31-25 loss to Green Bay, but the timing of at least two of those six penalties proved costly.

"Penalties are always tough, especially in big games like this," safety Troy Polamalu said. "Every single game and situationally, those penalties hurt us ..."

Two in particular hurt the Steelers more than the others, both of which came on the kickoff return unit.

Ryan Mundy's block in the back following Green Bay's initial touchdown pushed the Steelers back half the distance to the goal line.

Instead of having the ball on the 15, they started the drive on the 7. The ensuing play, Ben Roethlisberger was pressured, his arm hit by Howard Green and the ball intercepted and returned 37 yards for a touchdown by Nick Collins to give the Packers a 14-0 lead.

Then on the final series of the game with the Steelers needing a touchdown to overcome a six-point deficit, they were pushed back from the 26-yard line to the 13 because of an unnecessary roughness call on special teams captain Keyaron Fox.

Fox shoved Tom Crabtree to the ground after the whistle blew forcing the flag.

Five plays later, the Steelers turned the ball over on downs to seal the victory for the Packers.

"We had a silly special teams penalty that kind of negated us, put us back, really backed us up," receiver Hines Ward said.

The Steelers have had their share of problems with penalties for the better part of the season but overcame them in most instances.

During a four game span in the latter part of the season, the Steelers had 14 penalties against Oakland, 10 against Buffalo and nine each against Baltimore and Cincinnati and came away victorious in every game.

In the divisional playoff contest against Baltimore, they were called for nine and won, 31-24.

"Usually when you lose it's because of penalties and turnovers," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

The Steelers were called for six penalties for 55 yards Sunday. In their four losses this before the Super Bowl, they were called for an average of six penalties per game. In the 12 wins, they committed 6.3.

The Packers were flagged for seven penalties Sunday.

"I thought the officials did a really good job, largely," Tomlin said. "With 160 to 180 plays in a football game, you can talk about instances but I thought largely, referee Walt Anderson and his crew did a really good job in this football game."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Flags too much for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_721854.html#ixzz1DNHy69wt

TRH
02-08-2011, 07:47 AM
obviously "player discipline" will be one of the key off-season focuses. After-the-play skirmish involvements (yeah, i'm talking to you Kemo and Fox if you're even here next year.....) have to be STOPPED. Walk away....
Tomlin needs to lay down the law with harsh consequences involved.

realdeal
02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Is there a game where Kemo doesn't get flagged for a 15 yarder?? Tomlin should fine him starting next year!!

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
honestly we had bigger problems than flags. there were bad calls on both sides, they were a non factor

kirklandrules
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
honestly we had bigger problems than flags. there were bad calls on both sides, they were a non factor

Totally agree that there were bigger problems than the flags. Would would have lost that game had we not gotten any flags. The funny thing is I didn't think there were that many "bad calls". As long as the flags are being thrown in both directions. I was getting concerned in the first half when the Steelers had already collected 3 or 4 flags and the Pack hadn't had a penalty. But it obviously evened out.

Ricco Suavez
02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Officials were fair I thought but the timing of the penalties hurt more than usual. Both special team penalties were talked about in the above article, but some of the others happened after good runs put us in 2nd and short situations, then a hold or false start would happen and it changed the flow of what we had going. I am not blaming the refs I blame ourselves for making the mistakes.

MattsMe
02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I didn't think bad calls hurt us near as much as the no calls.

Combine that with 3 turnovers, and you lose the Super Bowl.