PDA

View Full Version : "We don't attack people..." - POST GAME INTERVIEW

SteelMusic
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I didn't put this in the Fire Arians thread because I'm not just posting this to bash him. This is actually what he said in the post game interview and I think it deserves it's own thread to be discussed.

Wow... I can't believe I just heard this. I was browsing another forum and a member quoted BA as saying something like 'we don't attack players'. I just couldn't believe that he would say something like that so I googled the interview and sure enough, he did!

When asked about attacking the middle of the field because Woodson was out he said that we don't attack players and we just call a play and let the QB run it out.

And it didn't stop there....he also said that we didn't make any adjustments and would have played it exactly the same even if Woodson was in.

Here is the link to check it out yourself. Arians Post Game Interview (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/arians-didnt-get-off-to-the-start-we-wanted/)
:noidea:

NCBlackWolf
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
That is crazy. I wish the Packer's OC believed in that- they wouldn't have thrown at McCrappy and Gay all night.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
alright tomlin it's up to you.

i like mike, but if he won't fire arians he's going to become part of the problem. the pack loses 2 key db's and you DON'T attack it? talk about stupid! you know gay and toast mcfadden were being attacked directly. that COULD be why the packers won. in fact, it's a huge reason why they did. exploit the players that are the weak links.. duhhh.

kirklandrules
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Well at least he's consistent. He's never adjusted his approach to how the offense should work and I wouldn't expect him to adjust to the situations presented to him during the course of a game. Furthermore, I believe ... uuuuhmmm, urrrrb, grrrlllp ....
:puke::puke::puke::puke:

Aahhhh, Arians, :sign06:

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
They figured it out...Arians didnt!!! Everybody knows our weakness is William Gay!

Farrior_roirraW
02-08-2011, 02:23 PM
:doh:

:banging:

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
alright tomlin it's up to you.

i like mike, but if he won't fire arians he's going to become part of the problem. the pack loses 2 key db's and you DON'T attack it? talk about stupid! you know gay and toast mcfadden were being attacked directly. that COULD be why the packers won. in fact, it's a huge reason why they did. exploit the players that are the weak links.. duhhh.

You have to wonder what goes thru Tomlins head, did he ever think about canning Arians?.....Or are they best buds who hang out for dinner and a movie? I dont think i ever seen him chew out bruce.

colescott1
02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
But wait....if your gonna argue a point, stay consistent. There's a thread on here linking to an article about how the Steelers may have "run away" from a chance to win, by abadoning the running game.

So...if your not running, your throwing. And one would assume your throwing to who is open. If the backups were able to cover their man....nothing changes.

Sixburgher
02-08-2011, 02:58 PM
But wait....if your gonna argue a point, stay consistent. There's a thread on here linking to an article about how the Steelers may have "run away" from a chance to win, by abadoning the running game.

Beat me to it.

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 03:00 PM

So...if your not running, your throwing. And one would assume your throwing to who is open. If the backups were able to cover their man....nothing changes.

running the ball would have been attacking a weakness. throwing to heath miller would have been attacking whatever safety was backing up woodson. throwing to ward would be attacking the lesser db (which worked when they DID throw his way). Throwing to tramon williams and into the strength of the packer secondary constantly trying to force it to wallace = not attacking a weakness

colescott1
02-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Thats not on Arians. Thats on Ben and his reads....

Fire Arians
02-08-2011, 03:06 PM
while you might be right I'm willing to bet that arians' philosophy rubs off on ben. if a certain gameplan is working or isn't working, it's up to the OC to recognize that and make adjustments.

in any case i think we need a change of offensive philosophy. that starts with the OC.

ebsteelers
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
O GEEZZ!!!! bruce has got to go.
but who do we bring in?

FanSince72
02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
I've been reluctant to jump on the "Fire Arians" bandwagon because I know there's more to winning than just who's in charge. But if this is true then maybe it's time to part ways with BA.

Forget the obvious part about exploiting weaknesses. If all of this is indeed true, the thing that strikes me is arrogance. If BA feels that he won't deviate from "The Plan" because whatever he's drawn up is so perfect and so unassailable that there couldn't possibly be any reason to change anything tells me that it's more about his ego than reality.

As a retired contractor, I can say that almost every job I've ever planned for has always had something come up during its execution that had to be "worked around" and the plan had to be modified. If I went ahead and did it "my way" with no regard for reality, I'd have never been able to finish anything.

Being a professional isn't about doing something perfectly all the time but rather about being able to deal with the unknowns as they appear and have that thing TURN OUT perfectly in spite of them.

ebsteelers
02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
anyone thing we need to bring in a disciplinary as oc? someone who isnt going to put up with all the penalties?

cloppbeast
02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Once Arians gets fired, what are the Ben apologists going to use for an excuse?

Well, there's always the offesnive line. :noidea:

UF-Steeler
02-08-2011, 04:32 PM

At least we'll always have you around to hate on him.

theplatypus
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Arians isn't solely to blame for our offensive issues by any means. Ben has to learn to take what the Defense gives him instead of always looking for the big play.

bigchuck
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
our offense took us to the superbowl and you want to fire the OC...

Sixburgher
02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Arians isn't solely to blame for our offensive issues by any means. Ben has to learn to take what the Defense gives him instead of always looking for the big play.

Exactly. Maybe now Ben will stop winging it, buckle down in the film room for a change and take the next step as a QB, because he has the talent to do so.

PhantomJB93
02-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Wow...just...wow.

I dont care if we made it to multiple Super Bowls with him, we win IN SPITE of him, and anybody that thinks he is even "okay" is retarded. Seriously, having even just an "adequate" mind calling the plays would make our team SO much better.

It's one thing to stick to a gameplan, its another to make NO adjustments in the SUPER BOWL when HALF the opponents' secondary is injured.

Sixburgher
02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow...just...wow.

I dont care if we made it to multiple Super Bowls with him, we win IN SPITE of him, and anybody that thinks he is even "okay" is retarded. Seriously, having even just an "adequate" mind calling the plays would make our team SO much better.

It's one thing to stick to a gameplan, its another to make NO adjustments in the SUPER BOWL when HALF the opponents' secondary is injured.

Complaining about not taking advantage of the Packers injuries in the secondary is quite ironic considering there are other people complaining in another thread about abandoning the run in the second half.

PhantomJB93
02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Complaining about not taking advantage of the Packers injuries in the secondary is quite ironic considering there are other people complaining in another thread about abandoning the run in the second half.

There's a difference between abandoning the run and not taking advantage of an injured secondary, just because they're passing in general doesn't mean they're specifically taking advantage of injured players or backups

Sixburgher
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
There's a difference between abandoning the run and not taking advantage of an injured secondary, just because they're passing in general doesn't mean they're specifically taking advantage of injured players or backups

How is increasing the number of passes thrown not attempting to take advantage of a depleted secondary?

SteelBobbleHead
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
While some of the things BA does baffle me by no means is he the reason we didn't win the Super Bowl. Actually his play calling was good enough had they executed the plays. On the last drive on 3rd down and again on 4th down Heath Miller was running wide open. Would not have been a huge gain but it would have moved the chains. My guess is BA designed the route that got Heath open. My other guess is Ben wanted something bigger and twice tried to force the ball to his big play guy. Is that BA's fault? :noidea:

One other thing that I constantly hear is that he does not play to the strength of his players. I'm not sure how that can be justified when he put the ball in the franchise QB's hands. You live with Ben you die with Ben. He is an amazing competitor but to not realize he handcuffs an OC is ludacrous. Ever wonder why our receivers don't run precise routes or timing routes? Ben's style of play doesn't allow it. He's going to extend plays and try to make something happen......every time. By no means am I suggesting that Ben isn't a great QB. What I am suggesting is BA allows him to play to his strengths rather than change his style like just about every other OC would. I also thing BA handles the criticism well. Not once have I ever heard him complain about not being able to change Ben. I'm sure he does realize though that it is much easier to change OC's than it is franchise QB's.

Danny136200
02-08-2011, 06:49 PM
You have to wonder what goes thru Tomlins head, did he ever think about canning Arians?.....Or are they best buds who hang out for dinner and a movie? I dont think i ever seen him chew out bruce.

I remember a story back in 08, that said that he needed to get his act together and get the offense's act together, or he will be canned. This was after the eagles game.

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
This guy is to blame.......
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/scottjax77/NFL%20Commissioner%20and%20NFLPA%20Head/00roger-goodell.jpg

lipps83
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
How is increasing the number of passes thrown not attempting to take advantage of a depleted secondary?

It is not using it to your advantage when you continue to run the same stupid WR screens that didn't work in the first half.

Curdoisseur
02-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Your OC shouldn't have called that fumble - that's what lost it for you. What a dumb play call. ;)

TRH
02-09-2011, 01:51 AM

and since Brady, Brees, and Manning got knocked out of the playoffs even before Ben's team did, then they must suck even worse, right?
Gather those 3 and off with their heads!
Sheez.........

TRH
02-09-2011, 01:53 AM
what a dumb thing to say. I've hopped aboard the "fire Arians" bus about midday way through this season. It's not only stuff like this, but since you can sit on your couch at home and call most of the plays before the ball's snapped, maybe its time to get someone else in there.

MACH1
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Going back to the beginning of the year.

Because the Steelers struggled getting a running game going against 4-3 defensive fronts a year ago and have 10 games against teams that use four down linemen and three linebackers this year, they are preparing themselves now.
The offense spent a good portion of Wednesday morning's practice running team drills against a 4-3 front to get the players used to the look.
Not only was it the first time this camp they have done such a thing, it was the first time they have ever worked on it during practice.
"In years past, we wouldn't even practice it," Arians said. "We would just go play them. It is a real disadvantage to the offensive line."..............
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_694536.html

:doh:

Add this next to the Fire Arians check box.

SteelMusic
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I just wish he would quit making idiotic statements like that so that maybe...just maybe some other team will want to take him off our hands. I don't see how anyone could not want him gone after hearing him say he doesn't go after the other teams weakness. If anyone in the NFL thought he had ANYTHING to do with our success in the last few years THEY WOULD BE TRYING TO HIRE HIM!

Look at the defensive side of the ball. You have the Cards trying to get their hands on anyone they can get from DL's staff. Bruce..not so much. I don't think you could pay another team to have him coach (college or pros). That alone speaks volumes for his body of work here.

It's not just about passing less or running more. It's about his whole philosophy. When an OC says that he doesn't attack a defense's weakness you have no choice but to come to the conclusion that the guy just doesn't get it.

NCBlackWolf
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I just wish he would quit making idiotic statements like that so that maybe...just maybe some other team will want to take him off our hands. I don't see how anyone could not want him gone after hearing him say he doesn't go after the other teams weakness. If anyone in the NFL thought he had ANYTHING to do with our success in the last few years THEY WOULD BE TRYING TO HIRE HIM!

Look at the defensive side of the ball. You have the Cards trying to get their hands on anyone they can get from DL's staff. Bruce..not so much. I don't think you could pay another team to have him coach (college or pros). That alone speaks volumes for his body of work here.

It's not just about passing less or running more. It's about his whole philosophy. When an OC says that he doesn't attack a defense's weakness you have no choice but to come to the conclusion that the guy just doesn't get it.

Good point about the hiring of coaches. Were Whisenhut and Grimm the last coaches to be hired away from the offensive side?

SteelMusic
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Were Whisenhut and Grimm the last coaches to be hired away from the offensive side?

I believe so.

zulater
02-09-2011, 10:22 PM
I doubt that it will happen, but I wouldn't mind if Arians moved on to a different job. I'm not saying he didn't do some good things with the Steelers, but I think it might be time for Ben to hear a new voice. Sometimes you can only go so far with a particuliar teacher, mentor, or coach.

SteelMusic
02-10-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm watching the replay on NFL Network and on the Mendenhall fumble, Ryan Mathews was calling out the play before the ball was snapped. They even show Ryan Pickett talking about they knew the play was coming and how they both hit Mendy at the same time.

zsheik22
02-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Yeah and it's the OC's job to tell him to listen and to exploit their weakness. What the hells the point of an OC if you're using that logic?

TRH
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm watching the replay on NFL Network and on the Mendenhall fumble, Ryan Mathews was calling out the play before the ball was snapped. They even show Ryan Pickett talking about they knew the play was coming and how they both hit Mendy at the same time.

Hell, thats not a surprise. Many people are even calling our plays at home in their living rooms before we line up to snap.
Couple that with the longest snap counts in the game (we almost ALWAYS take the play clock down to 1 or 0......giving the opposing defenses the maximum time to read our formations and lineups) and you have a recipe for a disastrous offense.
Right now, we are # 1 in the NFL for 'predictable' play calling, hands down.