PDA

View Full Version : WOODLEY- will he stay, or will he go?

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Comments by Ed. B. of the P-G on Pittsburgh sports talk today (link to audio below)

Free agents - Colon "really wants to come back" but Achilles rupture is a tough recovery

Taylor a higher priority to retain than Woodley

Woodley most in danger of not coming back - he is a prime OLB pass rushing FA as more teams go to the the 3-4 - already paying Harrison big $$ at OLB and cannot pay everyone with a cap back next year - Worlds was drafted for this possible departure

CB is #1 priority but the 2 safeties + Taylor are solid - no way Nnamdi Asomugha is going to the Steelers ( Ed says if the Steelers can afford you as a FA you are no good:chuckle:) - look for a CB in the draft or develop someone already on roster (maybe Lewis or Butler?)

OL - not certain about Adams coming back - depends on Colon - will draft an OL early

Kickers - Suisham may or may not come back - have to worry about Sepulveda's chronic ACL tears

Fox is gone after another dumb penalty, this time in the Super Bowl

Three old pros (Farrior/Ward/A. Smith) will return - no mention of why Smith gets his $$ while Woodley will walk because he is too expensive

With regard to coaches - Arians may "retire" although Ed thinks Arians had a better season this year than 2009 (when Ben + Tomlin apparently saved his job) - should get some credit for helping Roethlisberger this year - would be surprised if Steelers want Arians to go

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/02/08/ed-bouchette-looks-into-the-steelers-future/

IMO the Steelers franchise Woodley - Worlds is not ready yet

cloppbeast
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
IMO the Steelers franchise Woodley - Worlds is not ready yet

I agree. My impression was that they were drafting Worilds to replace Harrison (age), not Woodley.

skinart82
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Why is it my favorite LBs have to go, I love Woodely, this dude is a beast! I also loved Porter, even named my damn dog Porter, see were that got me.

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Why is it my favorite LBs have to go, I love Woodely, this dude is a beast! I also loved Porter, even named my damn dog Porter, see were that got me.

But Porter was in decline rather than entering his prime and Steelers had Harrison ready to go while also drafting Timmons and Woodley when Porter left - that kind of firepower is not in reserve if Woodley goes

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 06:28 PM
They should do what they can to keep Woodley......As much as i hate to say it Smith is on the decline.....

MDSteel15
02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I thought I heard somebody (LaMarr on FB) say he would gladly take the franchise tag until they were able to work out his contract... He doesn't want to go anywhere and I don't see him leaving :coffee:

pete74
02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
i would rather cut smith and keep woodley. hell i would be up for cutting starks for woodley.

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I dont know what they see in Starks that much, or maybe i missed something but, to me he's like a tree trunk out there.

PhantomJB93
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
From what I can tell, Woodley REALLY wants to be a Steeler, I don't think he goes anywhere unless the situation is REALLY drastic, like we can't pay him more than his rookie contract lol. He wants his cash, of course, but he's not a drama queen and just based on what I've heard him say over the past year I would not be surprised at all if he takes much less money to play for us than he could get from various other teams in FA.

I think Worilds was taken to replace Harrison, not Woodley...not sure what's gonna happen there as Harrison doesnt look like he's slowing down any time soon either, but I don't think we should feel pressured to ditch James or Lamarr just because there is a potential replacement waiting in the wings who hasn't proven himself yet.

I think Smith is gone, too much money for what we get out of him these days. Hood isn't Smith yet but he's good enough that I can't see us keeping Smith when so many other key players are facing FA.

SteelCityMom
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't see Woodley going anywhere either.

It would be crazy for them to let Woodley go in favor of keeping Smith. Hood stepped up just fine this year, and is ready to start (for a lot less) IMO. I love what Aaron has done for us, but there's no sense in keeping him now.

MDSteel15
02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't see Woodley going anywhere either.

It would be crazy for them to let Woodley go in favor of keeping Smith. Hood stepped up just fine this year, and is ready to start (for a lot less) IMO. I love what Aaron has done for us, but there's no sense in keeping him now.

I think he should man up and take a cut to keep Woodley so they can both be here! :thumbsup:

jjpro11
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Woodley had yet another sack in the Super Bowl. the guy hasn't played a playoff game yet without recording a sack. he's a slow starter, but is money in the second half of the season and into the playoffs. can't let him go.

pete74
02-08-2011, 06:57 PM
i dont want to lose woodley but i also wouldnt pay him 10mil a year

Merchant
02-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Woodley's already made it clear that winning is more important to him than money. I see him remaining a Steeler in '11.

tube517
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Woodley will probably end up in Pittsburgh West- Arizona if he does go somewhere.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Woodley will probably end up in Pittsburgh West- Arizona if he does go somewhere.

I don't know about that honestly. Most of the guys that have ended up in AZ with Whisenhunt are guys that were on the team when Whiz coached here. Woodley was drafted under Tomlin. Not saying your idea is bad but I don't think it's automatic. I think we end up keeping Woodley honestly. He doesn't seem to be a guy whose primary concern is a big payday and he likes being here a lot. I really do hope we resign him though.

tony hipchest
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
pat kirwan said today that he has it from a very strong and reliable source (although be it a secondary source- not first hand) that "woodley isnt going anywhere".

keep in mind he is not a reporter, and has friends on the inside who will divulge such information because they know he will not make a news spectacle of it.

TRH
02-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I thought I heard somebody (LaMarr on FB) say he would gladly take the franchise tag until they were able to work out his contract... He doesn't want to go anywhere and I don't see him leaving :coffee:

I've read that too and hope thats a possibility because thats the only way we're keeping him. His price on the open market is goin to soar sky high.
Our situations in the DB are so drastic at this point we'll never pay market price to keep Woodley when we're fairly solid at LB even without him.

Rick5895
02-09-2011, 04:24 AM
They should do what they can to keep Woodley......As much as i hate to say it Smith is on the decline.....

Woodley must stay, as much as I love A.Smith, he has missed the majority of 3 of the last 4 seasons with injuries, I think his time is up.

kirklandrules
02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Woodley aint going anywhere. He's a Steeler, not a money grubber like some of the loud mouths that were on this team in the past. He'll provide a discount to resign with the team. Smith will be back too, but as a valuable backup. Suisham will be back ... I have no clue where people are thinking he's leaving ... he appears to have loyalty to the team that picked him off his couch (during a low point in his life) and it's been written that he is well liked in the locker room and by the coaches. Colon, I predict, will not be back. I really like Willie, but 36% of NFL players never make it back on the field after an Achilles injury and the remaining 64% don't play to the same level prior to injury.

TRH
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Woodley aint going anywhere. He's a Steeler, not a money grubber like some of the loud mouths that were on this team in the past. He'll provide a discount to resign with the team. Smith will be back too, but as a valuable backup. Suisham will be back ... I have no clue where people are thinking he's leaving ... he appears to have loyalty to the team that picked him off his couch (during a low point in his life) and it's been written that he is well liked in the locker room and by the coaches. Colon, I predict, will not be back. I really like Willie, but 36% of NFL players never make it back on the field after an Achilles injury and the remaining 64% don't play to the same level prior to injury.

He definitely likes being a Steeler but be careful what you say. As much as we don't like to accept it, both bigger money and players agents have HUGE influences on these decisions.
If Woodley is not franchised and is offered a bigger contract elsewhere, almost certainly he's going to take it.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Woodley wants to get paid and made it clear in preseason he was not happy the terms of the 2010 CBA made it impossible to give him the signing bonus required to give him a new contract - nothing wrong with wanting to get paid - NFL contracts are not guaranteed and in the NFL every play can be your last - but he will stay because he can be franchised (not because he will leave milllions on the table in order to remain a Steeler)and maybe get paid in 2012 if there are some retirements that free up money (Ward, Farrior, A. Smith)

Suisham will be back if the Steelers want him back - he reverted to past form in the playoffs by misssing several kicks and at a minimum will face comepetition in camp

Sad to say i agree about Colon - achilles injury was the one that finally caused the Steelers to give up on Kendall Simmons

kirklandrules
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Almost every player resigned by the Steelers has the option to take a larger payout with another team. Most of the guys the Steelers do attempt to retain, stay with the team. Don't get me wrong, Woodley will get much more money than his rookie contract that he's been working off. Of course he was frustrated that a new deal wasn't done and it was very obvious the Steelers could not do a realistic deal given the nature of the CBA ... a new deal under the terms of the CBA would have been insulting. Woodley hasn't pissed and moaned like Faneca, Porter and others who were facing contract issues. He's expressed his concerns like anyone would, but has also made it very clear he wants to stay. My guess is he is willing to be the 2nd highest paid LB on the team ... the question is how much of a difference is he willing to take between his contact and Harrison's?

I can think of only 3 big misses by the Steelers in not resigning great linebackers:
Mike Merriweather
Hardy Nickerson
Mike Vrabel

It's been a while since they failed to keep someone who continued to be very good/great at that spot ... and only 3 times in the past 22 years. I didn't include Porter because Harrison obviously outplayed his predecessor and Porter's stock quickly dropped after that one good year he had in Miami.

ebsteelers
02-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Woodley my favorite player isnt going anywhere... during super bowl week he talked about how he wants to be mentioned with the steelers greats at linebacker, cant do that if you wearing a panther uniform.. .im pretty sure he said he grew up a steeler fan as well.. remember hes not an animal... he's a beast..

and sushiam, did well durin the regular season,

both post season misses weren't exactly chip shots, but that super bowl kick was nasty... but thats on the coaches just cause your in doors doesnt mean you can go from 45 yards to 53..

aaron smith should come back for cheap,( 3 out of 4 years hes been hurt) hes gotten paid even though hes hurt right? i think he owes pitt... plus they cut gibson for him,

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I can think of only 3 big misses by the Steelers in not resigning great linebackers:
Mike Merriweather
Hardy Nickerson
Mike Vrabel

Add Chad Brown to that list - Steelers could not afford to keep Brown and Greg Lloyd -they signed Lloyd and Lloyd's career was done when he blew out his knee to start the 1996 season after getting his new contract

But Brown's wife made it clear in public comments once it was cklear Brown was not going to get a new contract that she hated living in Pittsburgh and he might have left anyway

kirklandrules
02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Add Chad Brown to that list - Steelers could not afford to keep Brown and Greg Lloyd -they signed Lloyd and Lloyd's career was done when he blew out his knee to start the 1996 season after getting his new contract

But Brown's wife made it clear in public comments once it was cklear Brown was not going to get a new contract that she hated living in Pittsburgh and he might have left anyway

I left Brown off the list because he wasn't necessarily lighting it up after he left the "Burgh. He also was starting to become injury prone (weak ankles if I remember right). He had a few decent years after he left, but I thought the Steelers had him during his best years. Lloyd wasn't just a knee, he developed staph infection. The Panthers signed him and he showed his career was truly over. Although Greg probably wasn't happy his career was over, he should feel lucky to be alive (from what the Steelers coaching staff were saying of his staph infection).

GameTime55
02-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Woodley is my guy. And I believe he wants to stay as well. I think it is pretty critical to keep him around. Address other areas of need thru the draft.....DB!

plus Id like to get his jersey.:rofl:

:tt02::tt02:

pete74
02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Woodley wants to stay but if we dont pay alot of money he is gone. if we had to lose him i would rather franchise him then trade him for a top corner.
with that said i hope we can reach a deal because he is an important piece to our team. if he insisted to be paid as a top 3 OLB'er i would let him walk but hopefully he will stay at a fair price

Curtain_of_Steel
02-09-2011, 01:26 PM
No way Woodley s leaving.

Jason Worilds was not drafted to replace him at all, ever, nor was he the back up plan. Its a rare breed that can contribute as a Steeler LB this soon. Timmons and Woodley are that bred. Worilds is not there, yet.

pete74
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
dont ever say no way. i think we will find a way to keep him even its with the tag but there is always a chance. last year i said Holmes would be gone and this was before his suspension or latest trouble and everyone said no way. i was told i was nuts that i thought holmes would not be resigned but look what happened. if the front office feels someone will come in and play just as well they wont break the bank on him

steelerchad
02-09-2011, 02:19 PM
No one is saying the obvious and that's that Harrison is the odd man out. 2011 will be James's last year as a Steeler. Woodley will be franchised for 2011 and then signed as Harrison is released before 2012. Silverback's contract was extremely back loaded with big salaries beginning in 2011 and going up every year in years 4-6. Worilds will take James spot in 2012 and Woodley will stay put.

Gibson was a possible replacement to Farrior. It's a shame we saved a spot for Smith and lost the ability to find out if Gibson could do it. Smith played his last down as a Steeler on Oct. 24th, 2010 unless he is willing to take a significant pay cut. It's a business and the Steelers conduct "business" more frugally than just about any team out there. They pay for performance. If your's declines even a little, then you are gone.

steeltheone
02-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Vrable was never going to play here.

ebsteelers
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
so does silverback retire after next season? i dont think so...

wheres he going to go?

yes hes older in age, but not playing those first few years, gives him fresher legs than the average old guy....

if it is his last year then we better enjoy those 2 together leading the league in sacks again

lipps83
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I left Brown off the list because he wasn't necessarily lighting it up after he left the "Burgh. He also was starting to become injury prone (weak ankles if I remember right). He had a few decent years after he left, but I thought the Steelers had him during his best years. Lloyd wasn't just a knee, he developed staph infection. The Panthers signed him and he showed his career was truly over. Although Greg probably wasn't happy his career was over, he should feel lucky to be alive (from what the Steelers coaching staff were saying of his staph infection).

Brown was used differently in Seattle and also made a couple Pro Bowls while there.

If he had stayed here, I honestly felt he could have been a hall of famer.

I think Brown and Woodson were the two the Steelers let get away that they shouldn't have. Donahue is to blame there, I think and not necessarily the Rooneys. Woodson wanted to come back after his year with the 49'ers and Donahue said "We are not the Salvation Army".

What an asshole.

pete74
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
No one is saying the obvious and that's that Harrison is the odd man out. 2011 will be James's last year as a Steeler. Woodley will be franchised for 2011 and then signed as Harrison is released before 2012. Silverback's contract was extremely back loaded with big salaries beginning in 2011 and going up every year in years 4-6. Worilds will take James spot in 2012 and Woodley will stay put.

Gibson was a possible replacement to Farrior. It's a shame we saved a spot for Smith and lost the ability to find out if Gibson could do it. Smith played his last down as a Steeler on Oct. 24th, 2010 unless he is willing to take a significant pay cut. It's a business and the Steelers conduct "business" more frugally than just about any team out there. They pay for performance. If your's declines even a little, then you are gone.
i said this same thing before this last season but i really didnt expect harrison to play as well as he did

Velvet Elvis
02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
so does silverback retire after next season? i dont think so...

wheres he going to go?

yes hes older in age, but not playing those first few years, gives him fresher legs than the average old guy....

if it is his last year then we better enjoy those 2 together leading the league in sacks again

Harrison already said this is his last contract and he's done. He said it SB week.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Another story today that Woodley is not going anywhere next season, whether he likes it or not, and explains why under the current CBA there is no way a contract with a new base salary could be negotiated in 2010

Woodley expects to be franchised by Steelers in coming weeks

Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley hasn't been informed formally yet, but he is "fully expecting" to be designated as the team's franchise player within the next two weeks, according to a source.

The hope, on both sides, is that it leads to a long-term deal for the rising 26-year-old pass-rusher, as it has for other Steelers tagged in recent years.

Pittsburgh tagged tackle Max Starks in 2009, and signed him to a four-year deal four months later. Last year, the team was ready to tag nose tackle Casey Hampton, but it instead signed him to a three-year deal just before the deadline to franchise players and tagged kicker Jeff Reed instead.

Woodley would receive the linebacker tag salary, which is expected to exceed $10 million, but could argue that he deserves a hybrid end/linebacker figure like the one Terrell Suggs received in 2009. The defensive end franchise number is expected to come at more than $13 million.

Woodley's 35 sacks since 2008 rank fourth in the NFL, and he's one of just five players (Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware) to post double-digit sacks in each of the last three years.

Because of the 30 percent rule, it's nearly impossible for Pittsburgh and Woodley to work out a long-term deal now, since he made just $550,000 in base salary in 2010, and that number can only go up by increments of $165,000 (30 percent of his final year on the old deal) in each year of a new deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e3c58c/article/woodley-expects-to-be-franchised-by-steelers-in-coming-weeks?module=HP_headlines

TRH
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM

I always thought Brown should have stayed here. Its a great example of the "grass is always greener" somewhere else. Yeah, he may have been voted to the Pro Bowl but that was on reputation mostly. He had his best years here and was utilized to the max and probably would have been HOF material if he stayed.
He probably made out better financially and i can understand that, but he was never the player again he was here.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Based on how we have drafted, I say we don't drop any LBers--that always seems to be our #1 priority. But if we do....

We have Jason Worilds (who we have not seen much of), and another promising looking young talent-- Sly Sylvester. The few times Sylvester has entered the game, he was usually right in the "eye of the storm" and has "playmaker" written all over him, with a season or two of development time, of course.

jjpro11
02-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Brown was used differently in Seattle and also made a couple Pro Bowls while there.

If he had stayed here, I honestly felt he could have been a hall of famer.

I think Brown and Woodson were the two the Steelers let get away that they shouldn't have. Donahue is to blame there, I think and not necessarily the Rooneys. Woodson wanted to come back after his year with the 49'ers and Donahue said "We are not the Salvation Army".

What an asshole.

it's pretty remarkable that Woodson is still such a huge Steelers supporter even after getting run out of town and winning a Super Bowl with the Ravens.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
it's pretty remarkable that Woodson is still such a huge Steelers supporter even after getting run out of town and winning a Super Bowl with the Ravens.

That apparently was a joint decision by Donohoe and Cowher according to this long P-G article from when Woodson was inducted into Canton - where Dan Rooney stood on his departure may be one reason Woodson remained loyal to the Steelers, since Mr. Rooney was correct about the right position from which Woodson could launch the second stage of his a career

Woodson had another Pro Bowl season in 1996, his last under contract with the Steelers, but he was not the same player as before the injury. At the end, Dan Rooney said he thought Woodson should be moved to free safety but that Cowher and Donahoe believed his knee and an injured shoulder would limit him there.

"There was a lot of medical evaluation with Rod and where he was in his career and where Rod thought he was," Cowher says today. "And certainly it proved out Rod was able to play a lot longer than we thought at the time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09179/980468-66.stm

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Latest series of links on Woodley's situation

Ed. B. of the P-G explains that until there is a new CBA Woodley's current base salary cannot increase by more than 30% annually in a new deal

YOU: The story pre=season was that a new contract with Woodley couldn't be worked out because there was a restriction on the amount of the increase over his current contract and the team wouldn't pay enough of a bonus to make up the difference. Now that the season is over, is there still a restriction on the amount of salary in the contract? (Before the cba expires).

ME: Thank you for remembering that. Yes, the 30 percent rule still applies so if they were to sign Woodley, they would have to give him a massive signing bonus and that ain’t happening.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

So the obvious short term answer is franchise Woodley? That could be a problem.

This was in PFT last summer

The final answer depends on the interpretation of Article XX, Section 1 of the current CBA. - Here’s what it potentially means: Since the CBA doesn’t expire until March 2011 and since the deadline for designating franchise players expires in February 2011, before the CBA ends, the franchise designation may be used for the 2011 season.

The key language, arguably capable of multiple interpretations, is this: “[E]ach Club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement.” (Emphasis added.)

The league, which declined to provide its position on this matter beyond merely citing Article XX, Section 1 as the operative clause, would likely argue that, because the deadline for use of the tag in 2011 applies “during the term of this Agreement,” franchise tags are available for 2011. The union, which has not yet responded to our request for its own position regarding this issue, likely would claim that the qualifier “each season” makes the franchise tag inapplicable during 2011, since 2011 is not a season that falls within the “term of this Agreement.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/28/availability-of-franchise-tag-for-2011-is-unclear/

Since that article ran last summer and CBA negotiations have gone nowhere, the union aparently now says with no new CBA and franchise tag designation in 2011 is void

This from Don Banks at SI.com today in his run down of the most pressing offseason issue for each AFC team

Come this year, the Patriots are expected to franchise [All Pro guard Logan] Mankins any day now, an outcome he said he would not welcome in the least. The league says teams have the right to franchise players even if there's no new CBA, but the union disagrees and says the tag will be meaningless if owners lock out players. A guy as unhappy as Mankins might just try to challenge the franchise tag in court, and could have a decent shot at earning his free agency that way. Stay tuned. My sense is this can't possibly end well. ...

Which leads to an analysis by Banks on the Woodley situation

In the case of LaMarr Woodley, will the Steelers follow their pattern of letting star linebackers go in free agency?

More than almost any other team in the league, the Steelers are hoping the NFL is in the right about being able to apply those franchise tags in this season of labor uncertainty. Because Pittsburgh will definitely use its tag on Woodley, their sack-happy outside linebacker, if that's the only way to keep him off the open market.

This isn't Joey Porter, Chad Brown, Hardy Nickerson or Larry Foote we're talking about. Woodley is only 26 and he's an ultra-productive player whose 12 sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions in 2010 would make him an extremely rich man if he were to become a free agent and open up the bidding. But during Super Bowl week, Woodley made it sound like he knows the grass isn't greener elsewhere, even saying he wouldn't mind having the franchise label applied (horrors!) and earning the median salary of the top five linebackers in the league (about $10 million in 2011). The security of a long-term deal, he reasoned, would come soon enough.

That's the kind of player the Steelers aren't about to let get away.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/11/afc-offseason-questions/index.html

This CBA situation is a mess that appears to just keep getting worse

mcg24
02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Woodley isn't going anywhere. The man has a head on his shoulders and the organization understands his importance to this club. If we let Woodley go, our elite linebacking core has a chance from going to elite to average in just a few years.

I don't think Harrison has more than a few years left, and Farrior certainly doesn't...so what happens if we lose Woodley?

That would leave our linebackers in let's say...3-4 years at Timmons, Worilds and...is that it? I'm not doubting this teams ability to draft linebackers, we know they can do that, but this is a guy we can't afford to lose. He is a Pittsburgh Steeler, and he is not going anywhere.

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Woodley isn't going anywhere. The man has a head on his shoulders and the organization understands his importance to this club. If we let Woodley go, our elite linebacking core has a chance from going to elite to average in just a few years.

I don't think Harrison has more than a few years left, and Farrior certainly doesn't...so what happens if we lose Woodley?

That would leave our linebackers in let's say...3-4 years at Timmons, Worilds and...is that it? I'm not doubting this teams ability to draft linebackers, we know they can do that, but this is a guy we can't afford to lose. He is a Pittsburgh Steeler, and he is not going anywhere.

And college basketball players claim they are never leaving early for the NBA until they do

Money talks and it should - if Woodley hits the open market some team would pay far more for him than the Steelers would or for that matter could afford to - that is why the franchise designation that needs to be tagged by Febraury 24 is key for the Steelers as well as several other teams and why I bet the NFL will insist the 2010 franchise designations are enforceable as a condition of any deal that gets done. Steelers need to do a deal before they are competing against other teams bids

thumper
02-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I dont know what they see in Starks that much, or maybe i missed something but, to me he's like a tree trunk out there.

The Steelers - right or wrong - place an emphasis on size and
mauling with athletic ability taking a back seat, when it comes
to the OL. If nothing else, Starks is massive, plus causes
zero trouble with attitude, etc. Pgh does place an emphasis
on being "a good soldier" with zero questioning of the staff
and ownership decisions.

mesaSteeler
02-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Source: Woodley likely to get franchise tag
February, 11, 2011
Feb 11 4:00 PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

By James Walker
At least one AFC North player will likely get hit with the franchise tag this offseason. According to a source, Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley is expected to get "tagged" by the AFC champions before the Feb. 24 deadline.

Woodley, 26, was one of the NFL's best bargains playing out the final year of his rookie contract. Including playoffs, he recorded 60 tackles, 13 sacks, two interceptions and made just $550,000 last season for Pittsburgh. Woodley also became the second player in franchise history to record three consecutive seasons of double-digit sacks, joining teammate James Harrison.

The franchise tag for linebackers is projected to be worth approximately $10.2 million next season. That would be a significant raise for Woodley, although labor uncertainty makes it unclear how the tag will be used once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

"I wouldn't be against it at all," Woodley said during Super Bowl week. "Whatever happens, happens. Would you like to have a long-term contract? Yeah. But a franchise tag, it doesn't matter to me."

The Steelers and Woodley, a former second-round pick, are currently hamstrung with working out a long-term deal because of difficulties with the 30-percent rule under the old CBA, which expires in March. The franchise tag would keep Woodley off the open market and would buy both sides time to work out a long-term deal once a new CBA is reached.

GameTime55
02-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm really hoping we can locker him up to a long term deal.

tony hipchest
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
since the topic of woodley is bound to be a hot topic with dozens of articles and talking points speculating on what will happen, i am gonna consolidate them all into one thread. :drink:

Aussie Steeler
02-12-2011, 01:12 AM
He will stay for another year. Franchised.

tony hipchest
02-12-2011, 01:31 AM
heres a fun thing to think about-

had the steelers taken woodley with their 1st pick in 2007 and landed l. timmons with their 2nd would anyone complain?

its the same difference now, and only a small percentage would bitch about it.

at the time, steelernation woulda probably been in an outrage hollering that he wasnt worth a 1st round pick.

the point is, there are probably 31 teams wishing they wouldve selected him before he dropped to us in the 2nd round (just look at the eagles reaching for brandon graham in last years draft).

woodley has already earned the franchise tag at least, and a multiple year deal at most.

he is more integral to our sb teams than santonio holmes was.

ricardisimo
02-12-2011, 02:05 AM
He will stay for another year. Franchised.
:stupid:
I don't see Woodley staying more than one more year. That's this year, franchised (assuming there is football this year, of course.)

theplatypus
02-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I believe that he wants to stay and that the team will make every reasonable effort to keep him.

TRH
02-12-2011, 07:33 AM
:stupid:
I don't see Woodley staying more than one more year. That's this year, franchised (assuming there is football this year, of course.)

i totally agree. He will absolutely take the "more" money. Players say all the time they'll stay for less....and never do. Agents are also much more powerful than anyone thinks.

steeltheone
02-12-2011, 09:29 AM
If not for the tag,,,,,He would leave!

Farrior_roirraW
02-12-2011, 09:46 AM
i totally agree. He will absolutely take the "more" money. Players say all the time they'll stay for less....and never do. Agents are also much more powerful than anyone thinks.

I hope he does... I think the last Steeler to do it was Kemo I don't remember the numbers but the Jets offered more and he stayed in the Burgh.

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
woodley is only 26 and hasn't even hit his prime yet. would be STUPID to let him go. he will be resigned.

i agree with taylor being #1 priority though. we are hurting at cb. having 1 weak side we can still make it to the sb and possibly win. with both sides weak well, mail it in and hope for higher draft picks.

tony hipchest
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I hope he does... I think the last Steeler to do it was Kemo I don't remember the numbers but the Jets offered more and he stayed in the Burgh.last season ryan clark turned down more $$$ from the dolphins as well.

Farrior_roirraW
02-12-2011, 06:20 PM
last season ryan clark turned down more $$$ from the dolphins as well.

Can't believe I forgot about this. :doh:

Woodley's gonna be the next. :applaudit:

SH-Rock
02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Do you want money or do you want to be a winner? Woodley is a smart guy and will chose to win more than go to an average team and get a lot of cash.

pete74
02-12-2011, 07:02 PM
if it was close i would choose the steelers but if someone offered me alot more i would walk in a second.

if your at a job you really like making $80,000 a year and someone offered you a job doing the same thing in a different place making $200,000 a year what would you do? i would go for the money

steeltheone
02-13-2011, 12:44 AM
if it was close i would choose the steelers but if someone offered me alot more i would walk in a second.

if your at a job you really like making $80,000 a year and someone offered you a job doing the same thing in a different place making $200,000 a year what would you do? i would go for the money

Exactly....Bottom line money

I think we have seen the best of Ryan Clark.....It's all down hill from here.

TRH
02-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Can't believe I forgot about this. :doh:

Woodley's gonna be the next. :applaudit:

this isn't Ryan Clark. The big difference here is the probable huge amount of $$$$$ difference that there will be. This isn't going to be just a little bit.

When it comes time for the big contract...here's the deal....if we DO step up and offer him the big, huge, Brinks truck contract, he'll stay.
If we don't and give him a so-so offer and someone (or someone'S) comes to the plate with a bigger offer (and it will likely be a LOT bigger), he goes. No question.
You're on crack if you think he's going to stay here for a lot less money "because he loves Pittsburgh so much". Not saying he doesn't like it here, because he does....but it will be an easy walk.

Farrior_roirraW
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
this isn't Ryan Clark. The big difference here is the probable huge amount of $$$$$ difference that there will be. This isn't going to be just a little bit.

When it comes time for the big contract...here's the deal....if we DO step up and offer him the big, huge, Brinks truck contract, he'll stay.
If we don't and give him a so-so offer and someone (or someone'S) comes to the plate with a bigger offer (and it will likely be a LOT bigger), he goes. No question.
You're on crack if you think he's going to stay here for a lot less money "because he loves Pittsburgh so much". Not saying he doesn't like it here, because he does....but it will be an easy walk.

Calm down, brah. It's called optimism. :doh:

thumper
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Players will take a little less to stay with a team they like. But when it comes
to several million of dollars, no, it doesn't happen - almost ever. Whatever
3-4 team with cap space will over pay for him. There MUST be a reason why
they over-drafted LB AGAIN last year. I am going to guess that between Worilds
and Sylvester, that one of them will step up and be good - maybe not as good
as Woodley week 1, but good enough that we can avoid paying top, cap killing
$ to keep Woodley. And, is it just me, or does LW disappear for games at a time?
I realize it is actually more wise to pick and choose your spots to make a huge
play, as opposed to be out of gas from going all out every play, but he seems to
just turn into the invisible man for too long and too often.

SH-Rock
02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Woodley also said that he's fine with franchise tag and he wants to stay here. You guys have valid points, but would you rather be a beast on a beast team or be a beast on a shit team that will never get you to the Super Bowl.

ricardisimo
02-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Woodley also said that he's fine with franchise tag and he wants to stay here. You guys have valid points, but would you rather be a beast on a beast team or be a beast on a shit team that will never get you to the Super Bowl.
If he sees the tag coming to hit him, there's no point in complaining about it. You know you're not going anywhere, so you might as well make nice. The boys who do complain about getting tagged tend to be either psychopaths (Haynesworth, for example) or really eager to leave their team for all sorts of other reasons (perennial losers, bad organization, etc.)

I never understood what people complained about, anyhow. Getting tagged is a guaranteed pay raise, as opposed to a potential pay raise out on the open market.

TRH
02-14-2011, 07:49 AM
If he sees the tag coming to hit him, there's no point in complaining about it. You know you're not going anywhere, so you might as well make nice. The boys who do complain about getting tagged tend to be either psychopaths (Haynesworth, for example) or really eager to leave their team for all sorts of other reasons (perennial losers, bad organization, etc.)

I never understood what people complained about, anyhow. Getting tagged is a guaranteed pay raise, as opposed to a potential pay raise out on the open market.

you're right. He's not going to complain about it, he can't do anything about it. Plus he'll be in the ballpark of $10 mil for the year. Then next year, assuming he has another good year, him and his agent will take their negotiations on the road , for sure.

austinfrench76
02-14-2011, 01:01 PM
It seems like we over drafted on LB's becasue we knew this situation would happen. We have the Franchise tag in our back pocket. We let the young guys learn the system, tag LWood for a year (maybe two), and then let him walk for huge money.

Thinking about it though, if you tag him for a year or two he gets older and then who knows. I would love to see the guy be a Steeler for life and this gives us options. It's just my opinion and no one really knows what the FO is doing.

BritishSteel
02-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Woodley would be getting a huge pay rise if he's franchised, but he's come on so quick that we're getting a ridiculous bargain on his current deal - but I think Woodley would get top 5 linebacker money in the open market and the chance to start an auction to keep pushing the price northwards. There's always the risk the market lets you down, but I can't see it happening in a normal year. Of course this isn't a normal year, and you're right about the fact that he knows it's coming, so there's no sense in kicking off about it.

pete74
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
It seems like we over drafted on LB's becasue we knew this situation would happen. We have the Franchise tag in our back pocket. We let the young guys learn the system, tag LWood for a year (maybe two), and then let him walk for huge money.

Thinking about it though, if you tag him for a year or two he gets older and then who knows. I would love to see the guy be a Steeler for life and this gives us options. It's just my opinion and no one really knows what the FO is doing.

overdrafted maybe but not the right ones. who do we have as backup? Worilds and he is umproven. i seriously doubt he can actually start next season and have much of an impact. most people here cant name 1 other OLB on our team without looking. everyone talks about our depth but i dont see it

ricardisimo
02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
overdrafted maybe but not the right ones. who do we have as backup? Worilds and he is umproven. i seriously doubt he can actually start next season and have much of an impact. most people here cant name 1 other OLB on our team without looking. everyone talks about our depth but i dont see it
Sylvester is evidently quite a bit further along than Worilds, which gives the team the interesting option of keeping Timmons inside or sliding him out to Harrison's spot if needed, and moving Sylvester into his slot. Foote is staying at least another year, which should give us adequate depth.

I'm still pissed about losing Gibson. Seemed like a total waste. I think he would have helped in the long run. We definitely overdrafted LBs if we were willing to part with them so as to keep the likes of Arnaz Battle on the roster.

BigRick
02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I hope he stays. Taking more money and leaving doesn't always work out. I worked with Jeff Herrod, ex linebacker for the Colts. When we had time we would talk football. He told me that he should have swallowed his pride and stayed with the Colts instead of taking more money and going to Philly for a year.:helmet:

BGSU A Dub
02-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Stay. The Steel City is a great place for linebackers and he has had a great career here thus far with ample opportunities.

eafratitpm3
02-15-2011, 09:07 AM
For what it's worth, just heard on Sportscenter from Adam Shefter that the Steelers will Franchise Woodley. Again for what it's worth!

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
I started this thread on February 8 based upon sports talk radio comments by Ed. B. of the P-G that Woodley was in danger of leaving

Ed. B. giveth rumors and Ed. B. taketh away rumors - this was Ed. B. in his P-G chat today

Michael: Ed, what are do you surmise are the chances that Woodley is not the starting OLB for the Steelers when the next game is played?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers plan to keep him. So I would say 0 percent, barring injury.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

So much for that - nothing to see here - move along

I guess we now need to worry about Taylor:noidea:

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Awesome......:wink02: