PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Horton is Cardinals new DC

SteelCityMom
02-08-2011, 08:58 PM
The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers confirms Steelers DBs coach Ray Horton will sign on as the Cardinals' next defensive coordinator Wednesday.

It turns out Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 in Phoenix was right all along. Since coach Ken Whisenhunt knows Horton from their time together in Pittsburgh, the Wednesday interview will be formality. Horton is expected to bring Dick LeBeau's system to Arizona, so the defense will remain a 3-4 alignment. Aging pass rusher Joey Porter obviously knows the scheme well, and O'Brien Schofield could emerge on the opposite side.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41480008/ns/sports-player_news/

Glad it was Horton and not Butler going...I can't find the exact report, but apparently the Steelers denied Arizona Butler again. Good for them.

Glad we'll be getting a new (hopefully better) DB's coach now too. Ideas on any good contenders?

SH-Rock
02-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Glad it was Horton and not Butler going...I can't find the exact report, but apparently the Steelers denied Arizona Butler again. Good for them.

Glad we'll be getting a new (hopefully better) DB's coach now too. Ideas on any good contenders?

Deion anyone :noidea:

43Hitman
02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Deion anyone :noidea:

I'd rather have Rod or Lake as a coach, they were more physical.

vasteeler
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
well there goes arizonas secondary

SH-Rock
02-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I'd rather have Rod or Lake as a coach, they were more physical.

I don't think Rod wants to coach the Steelers. Probably still resents them for cutting him.

SteelCityMom
02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Here's a few names I found while searching around. I hate the Bengals, but they seemed to do pretty well in the secondary the past couple years.

Kevin Coyle DB-Coach (Cinci)
George Catavalos DB-Coach (Bills)
Dave Campo DB-Coach (Dallas)

I saw a snippet somewhere that the Packers Darren Perry may be available? Do you think the Steelers try to bring him back maybe?

Don't know if all these guys are available still. Definitely don't know anything about Catavalos or Campo though.

casteeler
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM

haha, exactly what i was thinking!

SH-Rock
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I would love to have Darren Perry. He has done wonders with undrafted players.

MattsMe
02-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I saw a snippet somewhere that the Packers Darren Perry may be available? Do you think the Steelers try to bring him back maybe?

I'd love to have him back, but I doubt he would be willing to make a lateral career move. I read just recently that he feels he's ready to run his own defense.

SH-Rock
02-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I'd love to have him back, but I doubt he would be willing to make a lateral career move. I read just recently that he feels he's ready to run his own defense.

Well he knows how well the Steeler organization is and he knows Lebeau is getting old and might retire soon. So if he works wonders in Pittsburgh he could be the next DC.

SeinfeldNut
02-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Good luck to Horton, that defense needs allot of work.

BigRick
02-08-2011, 09:40 PM

Amen. Don't remember where I saw or heard it, but the Steelers denied Arizona ths opportunity to talk to Butler. Hopefully we can get a good DB coach now. :helmet:

GMU Steeler
02-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Well I am glad it was Horton instead of Butler. I think Tomlin and Colbert will make a good choice here. We'll probably be meh about the hire but hopefully it will end up like Sean Kugler where by season's end we're impressed with the hire.

tube517
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
:rofl:

Did they even have one?

CargoJon
02-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Any chance he might take William Gay with him? :internetprayer:

StainlessStill
02-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Whiz REALLY needs to build his own team with his own personal. It's getting ridiculous, lmao.

CargoJon
02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Whiz REALLY needs to build his own team with his own personal. It's getting ridiculous, lmao.

I know....it's hilarious. In other threads, I've suggested the following for Whiz:

1. Change the team uni's to Black and Gold
2. Petition the league to re-align them into the AFC North
3. Build an exact replica of Heinz Field for the Cards to play their home games in.

and other suggestions.

It's almost like since he couldn't get the Steelers job, he's trying to turn the Cards into the Steelers. Bringing the mountain to Mohammed, so to speak. :toofunny:

Rick5895
02-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Well he knows how well the Steeler organization is and he knows Lebeau is getting old and might retire soon. So if he works wonders in Pittsburgh he could be the next DC.

Our next DC is Butler. I would like to see Perry also, but don't think he would leave Green bay.

pete74
02-09-2011, 05:51 AM
im looking forward to a new secondary coach that can get our corners playing better. Kevin Coyle or Perry would be my 1st choice.

cloppbeast
02-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Bill Cowher is still available.

CargoJon
02-09-2011, 08:08 AM

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/500/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

BKAnthem
02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
YES!!! Now we need a DB coach to explain to the organization how beneficial using a high draft choice on a DB would be....hell 2 in the Steelers case

SteelCityMom
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM

I was looking for serious ideas...but ok.

TRH
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM

:sofunny:

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Congrats coach Horton! :thumbsup: Hope you do the Steelers oranization proud and help turn that D- around....

cloppbeast
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I was looking for serious ideas...but ok.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAzrt-ZnNTpA0zAz5jJnwJp_AeK7msS9_TGfJT9J4mEDnE_SExhA

I couldn't really think of any......

Rod Woodson would be a good one.

mesaSteeler
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Steelers deny Cardinals' request to interview LBs coach Butler
Arizona, Dallas to interview DBs coach Horton
Tuesday, February 08, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
PG VIDEO: STEELERS TALK ABOUT THE LOSS

The Steelers confirmed they have turned down a request from the Arizona Cardinals to interview linebackers coach Keith Butler for their defensive coordinator position.

With Butler out of consideration, the Cardinals will interview secondary coach Ray Horton on Wednesday in Tempe, Ariz., for their defensive coordinator job, the Post-Gazette has learned. The Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys were each granted permission by the Steelers to speak with Horton, who is in the final year of his two-year contract.

The Post-Gazette reported earlier today that the Cardinals sought permission from team president Art Rooney II, two days after the Steelers' 31-25 loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. But the request was denied because Butler signed a new contract after the 2009 season with the understanding he would be the Steelers' defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires, whenever that is.

Nose tackle Chris Hoke said LeBeau indicated in a team meeting today that he intends to return for the 2011 season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11039/1123946-100.stm#ixzz1DTfJiRcX

MDSteel15
02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAzrt-ZnNTpA0zAz5jJnwJp_AeK7msS9_TGfJT9J4mEDnE_SExhA

That would cool! Doubt he'll leave that cushy job tho

SteelCityMom
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM

:sofunny:

Sorry, I would have laughed at the Cowher thing, but it got old for me 2 years ago lol.

I doubt Woodson would do it. He doesn't come off as coaching material to me. Not many great former players are. Plus, as mentioned, I think he's happy with the gig he has now.

Sometimes I wish I followed college football a little bit more, because I'm sure there are a couple good candidates swimming around out there...I just have absolutely no clue who they would be.

Secondary is a big concern for me though (and many others obviously). I just hope they get the best of what's available.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Coaching staffs get stale and if you have good assistants they leave - Cowher had an impressive run of coordinators that obtained HC jobs (Capers, Gailey, Haslett, Mularkey) and would not hesitate to swing the ax on those that did not meet his standards (Erhardt, Lewis, Sherman, Gilbride)

Horton was on thin ice last year - if he was that good he would be under contract like Butler is. LeBeau not having a contract is a unique set of circumstances and my hunch is Arians not having a contract running beyond this past season is because Arians is on double secret probation

Congrats to Coach Horton - hopefully the new secondary coach is an upgrade equivalent to coach Kugler for the OL

BKAnthem
02-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I wish we could get Darren Perry, dude could play corner and safety and seems to be a helluva secondary coach...what about the saints Tony Oden, or the chargers Steven Wilks?

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Good riddance Horton! Your DB's cost us the Super Bowl! Good luck turning the Steelers West program around!!!

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
They are now reporting Townsend went to coach the Cards as well.

And the Steelers obsession continues....

kirklandrules
02-10-2011, 01:35 PM
They are now reporting Townsend went to coach the Cards as well.

And the Steelers obsession continues....

And therefore, the Cards will continue to lose. The Steelers move forward and the Cards keep trying to recreate something the Steelers put together years ago.

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
And therefore, the Cards will continue to lose. The Steelers move forward and the Cards keep trying to recreate something the Steelers put together years ago.

The obsession is actually freaking me out. I bet Whiz got picked on as a kid. Always doing what a bully tells him to do rather than doing things his way. More power to him if he wants the Rooney's sloppy seconds.

kirklandrules
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
The obsession is actually freaking me out. I bet Whiz got picked on as a kid. Always doing what a bully tells him to do rather than doing things his way. More power to him if he wants the Rooney's sloppy seconds.

For a while, Carolina did the same thing when Capers brought in a bunch of former Steelers players. It got a new franchise up to speed fairly quick, but it never got them a ring. The Cards consistently raiding the Steelers for players and coaches tells me that Whiz doesn't know how to build something himself. He's just creating a duct-taped version of Bill Cowher's Steelers.

TRH
02-11-2011, 03:54 AM

I hear ya. I'm starting to lose all respect for Whiz. This "raiding SB teams coaching staffs" is not a winning formula in the first place, i hope our F.O. tells him to take a hike next time he wants a permission (although he can have this DB coach)