PDA

View Full Version : You guys show pure class

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey guys,

Lifelong Green Bay Packer fan and new forum member here. I've been reading this site off and on for the last couple weeks and finally had to join after reading the 'congrats green bay' thread. No other fan base, in any sport, would show the class and sportsmanship that you guys do. Iím not even 100% convinced Packer fans would do the same. Over the last couple of weeks I've learned a lot about the Steelers organization and their fan base. Iím here to say you guys gained at least one more fan, and Iím sure there are PLENTY more people in the state of Wisconsin who feel the same. As long as the Steelers arenít playing the Packers weíll be rooting for you.

Hereís to a Super Bowl XLVI rematch :tt04:

And hereís to a great baseball season :thumbsup: Looking forward to the first Pirates/Brewers series!

-Ryan

SH-Rock
02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Rather lose to the Packers than any other team.

Steelerz4Life
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,

Lifelong Green Bay Packer fan and new forum member here. I've been reading this site off and on for the last couple weeks and finally had to join after reading the 'congrats green bay' thread. No other fan base, in any sport, would show the class and sportsmanship that you guys do. Iím not even 100% convinced Packer fans would do the same. Over the last couple of weeks I've learned a lot about the Steelers organization and their fan base. Iím here to say you guys gained at least one more fan, and Iím sure there are PLENTY more people in the state of Wisconsin who feel the same. As long as the Steelers arenít playing the Packers weíll be rooting for you.

Hereís to a Super Bowl XLVI rematch :tt04:

And hereís to a great baseball season :thumbsup: Looking forward to the first Pirates/Brewers series!

-Ryan

The only thing I worry about in a Steeler Packer rematch is that Big Ben will have a chance at being the Packers 2 time Super Bowl MVP. He already was your MVP in Super Bowl XLV

stb_steeler
02-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Pirates..now thats funny.....But hey thanks for stopin by. Hope we get a rematch next year. but its hard to repeat.

Steelerz4Life
02-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Pirates..now thats funny.....But hey thanks for stopin by. Hope we get a rematch next year. but its hard to repeat.

I don't expect the Pirates to go to the playoffs, but they will surprise some teams this year. New manager and some good talent.

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 09:15 PM
The only thing I worry about in a Steeler Packer rematch is that Big Ben will have a chance at being the Packers 2 time Super Bowl MVP. He already was your MVP in Super Bowl XLV

The MVP going to Rodgers was almost by default. They had to give it to somebody. IMO, nobody really earned it. Although his stats would have been very mvp-worthy had there not been so many dropped passes.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2011, 09:17 PM
It's a tough loss for sure but I haven't cursed the Packers once yet and I am a man who hates to lose. I think what it is for me is that I genuinely do respect you guys as fellow fans. Green Bay is a great football town like Pittsburgh is. Plus I do like many of your players and even coaches. Rodgers is a tough cookie and I mean this as a compliment but he reminds me a lot of Ben since Rodgers isn't a whiner like a Brady or Manning and he just plays on. And heck I even like some of your coaches. Your HC is a Pittsburgh native and of Irish decent. I like Irish Pittsburghers (Dad's mom's family is just that) Plus Capers and Greene. And I guess another thing is that there really weren't any cheap calls that went your way that determined the outcome. You guys made us make mistakes and took advantage of them. I'd love for a rematch with the scores reversed of course. Enjoy your championship.

Steelerz4Life
The MVP going to Rodgers was almost by default. They had to give it to somebody. IMO, nobody really earned it. Although his stats would have been very mvp-worthy had there not been so many dropped passes.

Putting my sarcasm aside, Rogers did deserve MVP. I would give anything to have Rogers instead of Ben. Rogers has not even hit his peak yet he will get even better.

SteelCityMom
Thanks PackerBacker! I'm not happy the Steelers lost, but I'm glad it went to a great organization like the Packers. :drink:

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I genuinely do respect you guys as fellow fans. Green Bay is a great football town like Pittsburgh is.

Agreed!

I remember SB XXXII, watching Elway's 'helicopter spin' and realizing that we were about to lose. I was so upset, but yet I had to respect Elway and his team for what they did in that game. Deep down inside (way, way, way deep) I was glad he had finally won a super bowl. Had we lost on Sunday, it would have been heartbreaking but at least it would have been to a team and a fan base I can respect.

I just can't imagine losing to the Patriots or the Jets. The thought makes me want to puke.

JEFF4i
02-08-2011, 09:32 PM
If I had to choose one team in the NFC to lose too, it'd be none! Haha. In all honestly, either Vikings (my dad's team), or Packers. Always liked Rodgers, and had to fight even with Packer fans who were Favre devout saying they should keep him around, told them to give Aaron a chance.

I hate being right at my own expense. lol

GMU Steeler
02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Agreed!

I remember SB XXXII, watching Elway's 'helicopter spin' and realizing that we were about to lose. I was so upset, but yet I had to respect Elway and his team for what they did in that game. Deep down inside (way, way, way deep) I was glad he had finally won a super bowl. Had we lost on Sunday, it would have been heartbreaking but at least it would have been to a team and a fan base I can respect.

I just can't imagine losing to the Patriots or the Jets. The thought makes me want to puke.

You know it's funny regarding the Patriots but your SB against them was the first SB I can really remember watching. I was 8 in Super Bowl XXX and at the time not much of a football fan so my first Super Bowl memory is of eating at Romano's Macaroni Grill with my family watching the Packers and Favre beat the Patriots. This was before the Patriots became the Pats we hate now of course. I mean I'm upset at the loss but you guys earned it for sure and I knew the Pack had the right idea going with Rodgers over Favre going forward. I really like watching the guy. Don't get too many Packers games here so I don't see him often but I like his game.

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
either Vikings (my dad's team), or Packers.

The Vikings...? Dear lord....

Nobody should worry about losing to the Vikings, they don't even play outdoors for God's sake!

tube517
02-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Packers as Super Bowl champions is easier to handle than the Dallas Brokebacks reaching .500

JEFF4i
02-08-2011, 09:58 PM

Nobody should worry about losing to the Vikings, they don't even play outdoors for God's sake!

Hey I agree, I said rip the roof off of the Metrodome.

Still, he's been a fan since the days of Tarketon, so I gotta give him his due.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2011, 10:01 PM

I've wondered about that. Two of the teams in your division including you guys play outdoors but the VIkes and Lions do not. Every team in our division plays outdoors. Honestly even though it will never happen I'd love for there to be Super Bowl eitehr at Lambeau or Heinz Field someday. It won't happen because of business reasons but it would be football the way it was meant to be played.

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM

And plenty of Bears fans have been supporters since the days of Halas, but that doesn't make it right.

JEFF4i
02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
And plenty of Bears fans have been supporters since the days of Halas, but that doesn't make it right.

Hey I don't ask why, lol. I BLEED Black and Gold, and I always will. I do have a soft spot for Rodgers though.

I'd rather have Ben, but I'm biased. I told my wife before the season started that conceptually Rodgers is the perfect QB. Arm, mobility, toughness, Captain leadership with Sergeant grit.

But I'd rather have Ben. :)

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Two of the teams in your division including you guys play outdoors but the VIkes and Lions do not.

Football should be played outdoors, no exceptions. Packer fans loathe the Metrodome, we just can't respect a team that has to pump in crowd noise and that stupid viking horn all in heated comfort. Plus, we have a few bad memories there. Ford Field would be nice...if it were a baseball stadium.

The NFC North will always be about the Packers and the Bears. Old school teams that play outside in the cold and wind and snow and rain. Like the Steelers :drink:

The NFL will never allow a Lambeau SB, there's just not enough infrastructure (few hotels, restaurants, no clubs, small airport). I would imagine Pittsburgh (being much more similar to Milwaukee than Green Bay) could maybe pull it off. Either way, I agree that it would be great to see.

StainlessStill
02-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl in August over the San Diego Chargers. Unfortunately, I was WRONG about the AFC team!

With that said, I watched the Packers this season and esp the playoffs rooting for them like I would Pittsburgh. I always thought Rodgers was an absolute STUD and love everything about him. He's going to be one great QB and he showed glimpse's of that in Super Bowl XLV. I think Pittsburgh dug themselves in big time, one they couldn't seem to get out of. I honestly think that if the Steelers and Packers would play 10 games, we would win 7 of them but we completley got outplayed by a team that was razor sharp.

If the Steelers were to lose the Super Bowl, and I'm on record for saying this, it would be the Green Bay Packers and no other. The only team I respect in the NFL is the Packers.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Football should be played outdoors, no exceptions. Packer fans loathe the Metrodome, we just can't respect a team that has to pump in crowd noise and that stupid viking horn all in heated comfort. Plus, we have a few bad memories there. Ford Field would be nice...if it were a baseball stadium.

The NFC North will always be about the Packers and the Bears. Old school teams that play outside in the cold and wind and snow and rain. Like the Steelers :drink:

The NFL will never allow a Lambeau SB, there's just not enough infrastructure (few hotels, restaurants, no clubs, small airport). I would imagine Pittsburgh (being much more similar to Milwaukee than Green Bay) could maybe pull it off. Either way, I agree that it would be great to see.

Yeah I feel the same way about baseball really too. I hate domed stadiums with a passion. Yep I imagine your rivalry with the Bears is a lot like ours with the Ravens but with more history between the two teams obviously since you guys go wayyyyyyyy back. Yeah it will never happen in Pittsburgh either unfortunately but I would love it for the reasons we've discussed. I love games played in the elements and I know you guys too heck you guys played in the Ice Bowl, the ultimate cold weather game so you know exactly what I am talking about.

CargoJon
02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
PB- stick around and stay awhile....you have more to offer here than some of the steeler fans do.....always enjoy talking football with a classy fan of a good team.

PackerBacker
02-08-2011, 11:08 PM
GMU,
The only problem with a baseball stadium not having a roof is the league will cancel or postpone a game due to weather causing all sorts of logistical nightmares. If MLB would commit to playing games regardless of weather (which will never happen) than I agree, baseball should be played outdoors and as such stadiums have no need for a roof. However, in the current situation I love Miller Park and its retractable roof since us fans know there'll never be a rain delay or weather postponement.

dez09231
02-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Enjoy it while you have it.

Its nice to be on top. . .but it hurts like hell to come up short. It's a feeling i've become accustomed to being a Steelers fan.

Those 2 Super Bowls in my lifetime are only all the more special now.

bornaSteelersfan
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Hey I agree, I said rip the roof off of the Metrodome.

I think the roof IS ripped off the Metrodome.

Credit where it is due. Rodgers had an incredible game and didn't make any misstakes (his receivers did, though) and totally deserved the MVP. No receiver could have won the MVP because all of them were guilty of dropped passes. Congrats to the Pack!