View Full Version : Cardinals hire former Steeler Townsend as coach

mesaSteeler
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Cardinals hire former Steeler Townsend as coach
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_722268.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 10, 2011

Deshea Townsend is joining his former position coach in Arizona.

Townsend, who played cornerback for the Steelers from 1998-2009, has been hired to coach the Arizona Cardinals' defensive backs.

His addition to the Cardinals' coaching staff comes a day after Ray Horton became the team's defensive coordinator. Horton coached the Steelers' defensive backs for seven seasons before leaving for Arizona.

Townsend is now the sixth coach on Arizona's staff with Steelers ties, starting with head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

In 12 seasons with the Steelers, Townsend intercepted 21 passes. He played eight games for the Indianapolis Colts last season before getting waived in November.

Townsend's duties as co-host of an afternoon sports talk show on Triblive.com will end after this week.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Cardinals hire former Steeler Townsend as coach - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_722268.html#ixzz1Daz3dKtN

GMU Steeler
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Well congrats to Deshea on the job. My favorite memory of him is when he picked off Romo for a pick six two years ago to end a nice comeback made against the Cowboys. Wonder who our DB coach will be.

skinart82
02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
This is getting a little out of hand now!

El Nino
02-10-2011, 05:29 PM
hey arizona you want arians too? they shoulda made a clause like it has to be a 2 for 1 deal, if you want townsend you gotta take arians too!

they'd be happy that they're 1 step closer to becoming the team full of pittsburgh castoffs, and we can shoot down 2 birds with 1 stone as far as taking care of the problem

Rick5895
02-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I am happy for deshea

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Very cool. Extremely happy for the guy!

Atlanta Dan
02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
:sofunny:

It is pathological - congrats to Deshea but WTF?

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Does the Whiz feel the need to poach our whole staff? But I am happy to hear that for Deshea, especially since I thought he was unceremoniously dumped on the side of the road by us after so many years of being a Steeler....

tony hipchest
02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Does the Whiz feel the need to poach our whole staff? But I am happy to hear that for Deshea, especially since I thought he was unceremoniously dumped on the side of the road by us after so many years of being a Steeler....

well lets take a look here....

AZ poached our staff and made it to the superbowl.

GB paoched our staff and philosophy and won a superbowl.

PIT has maintained much of the same staff and has been to 3 of the past 6 superbowls.

i just hope people keep poaching the patriots staff (that is a proven losing formula).

smokin3000gt
02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
This is almost laughable.

smokin3000gt
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
WOO post #3!!

Merchant
02-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Really, Whiz? Really?

Atlanta Dan
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM

i just hope people keep poaching the patriots staff (that is a proven losing formula).

Not so! - Patriots family tree swept the individual post-season awards (the true mark of greatness!) - another banner year for The Patriots Way:chuckle:

Brady - MVP (one and done with #1 seed in playoffs)

Belichick - coach of the year (one and done with #1 seed in playoffs)

Falcons Thomas Dimtroff (former Patriots director of player personnel) - NFL executive of the year (and ... wait for it ... one and done with #1 seed in playoffs)

Individual stats are what really matter :thumbsup:

El Nino
02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Really, Whiz? Really?

hey hiring a failure of a db coach to be the DC, lol. sounds like promoting our failure of a wr coach to OC.

Farrior_roirraW
02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Why are people annoyed with the fact Whiz is giving Townsend his first coaching gig?

Atlanta Dan
02-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Why are people annoyed with the fact Whiz is giving Townsend his first coaching gig?

I think everyone is happy for Deshea

The joke is Whisenhunt now has 6 (!) coaches with Steelers ties on his coaching staff (he signed Horton after he wanted to hire Butler), has Clark Haggans (did you know he was still in the league?) and Joey Porter as his starting OLBs, and signed Faneca after the Jets dumped him to play guard

There are 30 other teams in the league from which to recruit a few coaches or over the hill players but Whiz wears black and gold colored glasses when it comes to personnel decisions

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I think everyone is happy for Deshea

The joke is Whisenhunt now has 6 (1) coaches with Steelers ties on his coaching staff (he signed Horton after he wanted to hire Butler), has Clark Haggans (did you know he was still in the league?) and Joey Porter as his starting OLBs, and signed Faneca after the Jets dumped him to play guard

There are 30 other teams in the league from which to recruit a few coaches or over the hill players but Whiz wears black and gold colored glasses when it comes to personnel decisions

Can you blame him? We have a pretty good coaching staff sans Arians :doh:

Farrior_roirraW
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
The joke is Whisenhunt now has 6 (1) coaches with Steelers ties on his coaching staff (he signed Horton after he wanted to hire Butler), has Clark Haggans (did you know he was still in the league?) and Joey Porter as his starting OLBs, and signed Faneca after the Jets dumped him to play guard

I know, but this happens quite a bit (maybe not as much as this particular situation) when coaches get HC jobs... its not any different than players leaving to go play for a coach they like Ryan/Scott and Schwartz/Vanden Bosch for example. I think everyone is noticing even more just because its happening to their team and not somebody else's. I see no need to get upset, annoyed or to scoff at Whiz/AZ because of this. Especially when the secondary has sucked (with Horton leaving to be their DC as the prime example) and when Haggans and Porter have long been past their prime. :noidea:

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 09:05 PM
I heard he's going to chance the Card's uniforms to Gold and Black.

SteelCityMom
02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
WOO post #3!!

:busted: :pw: :busted:

:chuckle:

On the topic, I think it's great that Deshea got a job coaching. Best of luck to him in starting his career....always like him.

stb_steeler
02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
well lets take a look here....

AZ poached our staff and made it to the superbowl.

GB paoched our staff and philosophy and won a superbowl.

PIT has maintained much of the same staff and has been to 3 of the past 6 superbowls.

Well they say its a copy cat league.....Didnt know they meant by taking your coach's.

skinart82
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
so when the Black and Gold song gets worn out will Whiz want to get that too?

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Do they play renegade as well :sofunny:

Pentheon
02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
haha wow cards tryin so hard....but congrats to deshea

SteelKid212
02-10-2011, 10:31 PM
wouldnt it be messed up if next year arizona boasts the best passing defense?:noidea:

LegendSteel
02-10-2011, 11:47 PM
I heard he's going to chance the Card's uniforms to Gold and Black.

What's funny is they actually did wear a black uniform this past year that was unveiled around April 2010.

http://nflcardinals.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/blackjerseybloguse.jpg

TRH
02-11-2011, 02:45 AM

haha. Who knows? Will he take terrible towels and paint them red?

It's one thing to interview somebody but this guy's downright embarrassing. he'll probably be looking at our med staff and waterboy's next.

steeltheone
02-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Great Job DT...Wish you well!

Aussie Steeler
02-11-2011, 04:05 AM
LMAO.

That is all.

SeinfeldNut
02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Whisenhunt can hire as many former coached from the Steelers as he wants, he will never come close to the success of the Steelers.