PDA

View Full Version : Be careful who you blame

mesaSteeler
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Be careful who you blame

Like Neil O'Donnell before him, Ben Roethlisberger is taking a lot of heat for his play in the Super Bowl.

But, like O'Donnell, there were some key plays during the game when the Steelers' young receivers did not run their routes as expected, resulting in some incompletions.

For example, on the Steelers' first offensive series, Roethlisberger made a throw to Antonio Brown's back shoulder that the receiver didn't read correctly, continuing his route down the field. The back shoulder throw was open had Brown adjusted, but the ball sailed out of bounds, looking like a horrible throw by Roethlisberger.

And on the deep route to Mike Wallace late in the game, Roethlisberger made the throw to the spot where the ball was supposed to go - to the pylon. But Wallace cut his route off more shallow than he should have, resulting in a pass in which it looked like Roethlisberger overthrew him badly.

We also saw Wallace struggling in the two-minute offense late in the game, not knowing what the play was.

These are the kind of things that happen with young receivers - even talented ones. Sometimes they make mistakes and the quarterback takes the blame.

That's why there is a belief that receivers don't hit their stride until their third year, which shows the arrow pointing up for the Steelers' passing game.

vasteeler
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
i know a few around here that need to read this

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Lol I was thinking that maybe the one positive thing coming out of this loss is that we can all appreciate the 1995 Steelers a little more.

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I blame the Green Bay Packers for playing their best game of their entire season, that's who I blame.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I was saying the same thing in other threads. WRs take at least two seasons to become fully integrated into the offense. Based on other articles posted, we were not even able to run the no-huddle very much this season because of the rookies' unfamiliarity with the playbook and all the calls.

Alot of the drops we have seen from Sanders, Brown (and even Wallace) will disappear as their route running becomes second nature, and their concentration is on catching the football instead of worrying about their footwork.

I for one, am not looking to place blame for Sunday's loss. The whole team in general did not execute well that day, not just Ben, not just his receivers.

p-s-fan
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Also Ben's first pick was just a matter of him getting hit as he threw and the second one wasn't exactly a bad throw (bad decision, maybe:noidea:)

check out my website psfwallpapers.com (http://www.psfwallpapers.com) for steelers, penguins, pirates and pitt wallpapers

zulater
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Also Ben's first pick was just a matter of him getting hit as he threw and the second one wasn't exactly a bad throw (bad decision, maybe:noidea:)

check out my website psfwallpapers.com (http://www.psfwallpapers.com) for steelers, penguins, pirates and pitt wallpapers

Actually I think it was more a good calculated gamble by the Packer defender. He ( Bush) was supposed to be in man coverage on Heath, but I guess he read Ben's eyes and made a great break on the ball and got the interception. so for those that claim Ben threw into double coverage that play he didn't.

1978_steeler
02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately as always the QB gets to much credit with a win and to much criticism with a loss. Truth be told it was probably a combo of both WR inexperience and QB decision making that cost us #7.

zulater
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately as always the QB gets to much credit with a win and to much criticism with a loss. Truth be told it was probably a combo of both WR inexperience and QB decision making that cost us #7.

And throw in Mendy's fumble and a couple stupid penalties on special teams.

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Only those that bandwagon complain about Ben. Looking at the game again, the pick 6 wasn't his fault. The O-Line couldn't stop the guy and he got hit as he threw.

realdeal
02-10-2011, 08:14 PM
The Defense is to blame!! You knew they were going to pass and we couldn't stop them. This is our weakness and will continue to be. If our outside Lb's don't put pressure, our secondary is hung out to dry!! Our weakness was exposed once again!!

Our O line played great!! We need db's in upcoming draft!! There's a reason we got Mcfadden and a reason the Cards let him go!! If he was any good, the Cards wouldn't have left him go!! It's sad that he was a better option at 2 than any other db.

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I just can't believe that they lost Donald Driver, Sam Shields AND Charles Woodson and we STILL found a way to not produce the way we are so use to producing, especially on that last drive. I mean, we let a 3rd string wideout torch us single handily and if it wasn't for like 5 dropped balls it could have been worse. GB almost gave us the game but they decided to hang on instead.

I mean, losing 2 of their top 2 corners and then for us not to scorch them from that point forward was disheartening. But, like airhead said, we don't attack players so, so be it.

SH-Rock
02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I just can't believe that they lost Donald Driver, Sam Shields AND Charles Woodson and we STILL found a way to not produce the way we are so use to producing, especially on that last drive. I mean, we let a 3rd string wideout torch us single handily and if it wasn't for like 5 dropped balls it could have been worse. GB almost gave us the game but they decided to hang on instead.

I mean, losing 2 of their top 2 corners and then for us not to scorch them from that point forward was disheartening. But, like airhead said, we don't attack players so, so be it.

Now I don't know if the last 2 plays were called by Arians. They were in the huddle, but Arians might haven't called those plays so it could be all on Ben and the recievers.

Hirsch
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I blame the Green Bay Packers for playing their best game of their entire season, that's who I blame.

Do you really think that they played their best game of the season? I mean we turned the ball over THREE TIMES and yet we still only lost by six points. I think we played our worst game of the year at the worst time possible. Im not blaming anyone it happens.

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Do you really think that they played their best game of the season? I mean we turned the ball over THREE TIMES and yet we still only lost by six points. I think we played our worst game of the year at the worst time possible. Im not blaming anyone it happens.

Pretty close to it. I watched Green Bay all year and they were VERY inconsistent all season long, at one point they looked great, at another they looked good and after that they looked like they would not even be a contender even if they MADE the playoffs before they turned it on. The Steelers however played the most consistent of the two Super Bowl teams ALL season, which is why I was so shocked we came out so flat and it was Green Bay who was pin-point. I guess it IS true to say that "You are as good as your last game.."

1978_steeler
02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Only those that bandwagon complain about Ben. Looking at the game again, the pick 6 wasn't his fault. The O-Line couldn't stop the guy and he got hit as he threw.

and if anyone thought that one was Ben's fault then they know nothing about football at all. All the guy has done since he has been here is win. I wil take the bad with the good if it means being a Super Bowl contender year in and year out. :tt03:

Bubbabanjo
02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
What?!?!?!? Who in their right mind compares Ben to O-Dummy? Neil was as stoopid as stoopid gets and a shlub. He was the one man loss in a spit bucket.

Ben is one of the top QBs in the NFL. We were beat up and runnin on fumes in the SB. Just got outplayed. They had a deeper bench than us and our key weapon on Defense was playin on one wheel.

Ben gets comeback of the year top honors for gettin that far with all he had on his shoulders. Awesome year Ben....aint no one tougher at QB in the NFL....brutha you showed some guts this year.

Salute brutha!!!

StainlessStill
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
and if anyone thought that one was Ben's fault then they know nothing about football at all. All the guy has done since he has been here is win. I wil take the bad with the good if it means being a Super Bowl contender year in and year out. :tt03:

Ben even pump-faked it, which wasted that extra split second for the defender to jump plus Kemo getting bulldozed. Ben had no pocket and had his arm hit immediately. The play was doomed from the get-go and it started up front. If Ben had time, Wallace would of been gone. That's football. A game of very valuable and delicate inches.

stb_steeler
02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
You know what their sayin..this is pass happy league now.......:noidea:

ZoneBlitzer
02-11-2011, 03:13 AM
He also missed a WIDE OPEN Heath Miller on his 2nd pick of the day.

TRH
02-11-2011, 03:41 AM
i thought the defense was far worse than our QB + offense. People complain about the other 2 turnovers but i didn't see the defense stopping them.
Ben will have a good year next year.

Fire Arians
02-11-2011, 03:50 AM
i thought the defense was far worse than our QB + offense. People complain about the other 2 turnovers but i didn't see the defense stopping them.
Ben will have a good year next year.

same here. our defense just needed 1 freakin play and the outcome of the game would have been totally different. 60 minutes, not 1 big play by the defense, and it seemed like we couldn't get a single stop the entire game.

Kanata-Steeler
02-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Our QB (aka BEN) + Offense amounted to nothing less than - 21 points (thats right NEGATIVE 21 points). !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ben himself, was the primary cause of -14 points. How can any team crawl outta that CRATER and win. ?!
And some ppl want put blame on our Defense ?

Sure, it's a "team" loss, but Ben was "O'Donnell" in SB XLV -plain as that.
It happened, and it's over. Ben also is here to stay, if he wants, while O'Donnell was on his way out back then.

Green Bay, including their QB played rock-steady and won SB XLV. -primarily due to "OUR" costly mistakes. But trying to shift blame to our Defense is like saying Ben is perfect -he can do no wrong,..., when in plain fact, He did do wrong in SBXLV.
And Ben will become a much better player for it next season.

I for one, can now finally put the ghost of the '95 Steelers to rest, as far as SBXXX went.

It was still a great season for the Steelers, considering everything the Steelers went through just to get into those SB's, then and now.

Aussie Steeler
02-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Our QB (aka BEN) + Offense amounted to nothing less than - 21 points (thats right NEGATIVE 21 points). !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ben himself, was the primary cause of -14 points. How can any team crawl outta that CRATER and win. ?!
And some ppl want put blame on our Defense ?

Sure, it's a "team" loss, but Ben was "O'Donnell" in SB XLV -plain as that.
It happened, and it's over. Ben also is here to stay, if he wants, while O'Donnell was on his way out back then.

Green Bay, including their QB played rock-steady and won SB XLV. -primarily due to "OUR" costly mistakes. But trying to shift blame to our Defense is like saying Ben is perfect -he can do no wrong,..., when in plain fact, He did do wrong in SBXLV.
And Ben will become a much better player for it next season.

I for one, can now finally put the ghost of the '95 Steelers to rest, as far as SBXXX went.

It was still a great season for the Steelers, considering everything the Steelers went through just to get into those SB's, then and now.

The offense gave 6/7 points to GB. I don't think anyone is saying that Ben did no wrong in SB XLV buddy; I think you're missing the whole point of the article.

The defense could still have very well bailed us out with those turnovers as they were both half way or more in the field. Not saying that the defense should bail us out every time, but they did fail in alot of 3rd and long opportunities. Personally, I think Packers figured (and correctly so) that we'd blitz at every 3rd and long - we got picked up and the defensive scheme gave up a tonne of yardage. Our defense also didn't amount to getting any turnovers which would have been handy. Mind you, Rodgers did throw a few balls which could have been picked if Polamalu didn't play so deep. I'm not completely justifying the offense's three turnovers, but you've gotta realize that not everything is on the QB - point in case of the article.

zulater
02-11-2011, 07:08 AM
He also missed a WIDE OPEN Heath Miller on his 2nd pick of the day.

Yeah he did, because that was the guy Bush was supposed to be covering. But things are going pretty fast out there in actual speed, you've got guys coming at you from all angles, it's not as if you can go to the booth while the game's being played and ask who your most open man is at the time. In other words, it's not as easy as it looks after the fact. Every qb is going to make a misread here and there, even the great Aaron Rodgers.

Spidey
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Bad coaching all round cost us this game more than anything else.

Poor play calling.

Poor defensive gameplan.

Poor leadership from the top.

ETL
02-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Ben made throws high all day. That's his fault. Ask him, he says he played poorly and he knows it.

kirklandrules
02-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Ben made throws high all day. That's his fault. Ask him, he says he played poorly and he knows it.

Ben did play poorly ... high throws (like the last pass), low throws, off target throws. The receivers didn't help by running poor routes and not adjusting to the ball in the air. Mendy's fumble. ST penalties. Defense didn't make plays and always seemed a split second behind. And when everyone thought Miller would see plenty of action (and the Pack did leave the middle of the field open most of the night), somehow the TE didn't quite make it into the game plan.

Wow, come to think of it, sounds like this was a team loss. I agree with Stainless that the Pack played their best football and the Steelers did not.

As I've stated in other posts, the player bashing is misdirected and unbecoming of Steelers Nation. That's something I would expect from Raven's fans. Now it's time to think about what the FO and coaches will do to prepare for next year and get excited knowing our team will whip ass in 2011!

Wallace108
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
We also saw Wallace struggling in the two-minute offense late in the game, not knowing what the play was.

These are the kind of things that happen with young receivers - even talented ones.

Randle El admitted he lined up on the wrong side during one of the last plays. I haven't gone back and watched this yet, but is this the play where Wallace throws his hands up in the air, obviously confused about what the play was? If so, it seems the writer of this article should be careful about who HE blames. :chuckle: