PDA

View Full Version : when cowhers time is up...

Big D
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I dont know why i'm thinking about this maybe boredom who do you all see replacing bill when he retires? I think it will be whisenhunt if he hasnt already found a nfl job. I know this is probably at least five years away but thinking ahead

tony hipchest
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
darren perry. whiz and grimm may be gone in 3-4 years although most head coaching jobs are pretty solid going into next year.

Ohio Steeler
05-09-2006, 10:05 AM
I dont know why i'm thinking about this maybe boredom who do you all see replacing bill when he retires? I think it will be whisenhunt if he hasnt already found a nfl job. I know this is probably at least five years away but thinking ahead

the thought has never crossed my mind cowher will be here for a long time

BigDude66687
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
i would hope it is Grimm, he will make an excellent head coach, but the steelers are quite good at finding a darkhourse candidate, like they did with cowher, so it could be some1 young from outside the organisation

Big D
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I would love grimm too. he would be a perfect head coach. He's got fire. Obviously cowher will be around for awhile and obviously there wont be as many coaching openings this year. But I could see parcells and holmgren quiting after this year. Shotenheimer getting fired and maybe the raven might fire billick if they have another shit year. Couldnt you all see grimm coaching dallas?

Lyn
05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I suppose we do have to consider that our beloved coach will leave us. I agree that it will probably be someone from out of the organization.

Big D
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
i bet i''m going to get called stupid for this... But what if tony dungy comes back to us after bill retires

shimmysteelerfan
05-09-2006, 12:00 PM
dungy is a decent coach, he just needs some players under him who wont choke under pressure....manning.....vandersuck....i would hope cowher doesnt leave until he cant walk anymore, one of the best coaches ever!!!!!!!!

pucho58
05-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I think he will be around for another 14 years or untill Ben retire.

Suitanim
05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree with all the people who said it'll be some young, unknown (or hardly known) guy.

Ohio Steeler
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I think he will be around for another 14 years or untill Ben retire.

I agree with you 100% and that is why I have yet to post a name god know's who will be around in 14 years

clevestinks
05-09-2006, 03:17 PM
It all depends on when, if it were soon Grimm and Wisehunt come to mind, it we are lucky it will be a while, and that next somebody is probab;y on twenty or so right now.

shimmysteelerfan
05-09-2006, 03:19 PM
when the time comes bettis will be there to fill the coaching shoes!

BB2W
05-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I could see Grimm as the head coach of the Steelers. :cool:

Ward86MVP
05-09-2006, 04:45 PM
It's tough to say who will replace Coach Cowher at this moment because it looks like he could be around for at least 5 more years. As much as the coaching carousel turns each year, it's hard to tell who will become the next "hot commodity" or "hidden gem" in coaching even year to year. No matter who it is, I hope it is someone who stands for the same principles as the Steelers and the Rooney family.

Midnightwriter07
05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
it wont be Grimm or Wisenhut.. they wont be here more than a few years. Given the Steelers history and how important continuity and consistantcy is within the Steelers organization at the head coach position.. i would think it would be a young guy who has alot of energy that they will project being there for a long tenure as well.

tony hipchest
05-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Given the Steelers history and how important continuity and consistantcy is within the Steelers organization at the head coach position.. i would think it would be a young guy who has alot of energy that they will project being there for a long tenure as well.sounds like darren perry. he may get a d.c. position in the next few years though

clevestinks
05-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Can we really see a offensive coach as our coach? No disrespect ti Wiz and Grimm, but this is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Noll Steelers, Cowhers Steelers. DEFENSE! Thats where its at!

pitt
05-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Coach Cowher will be around for a long time yet.

HburgXL06
05-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Can we really see a offensive coach as our coach? No disrespect ti Wiz and Grimm, but this is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Noll Steelers, Cowhers Steelers. DEFENSE! Thats where its at!

Who was it that said "Offense makes highlight videos, Defense wins championships"?

BuFu

Steel Pit
05-10-2006, 02:23 AM
I would love grimm too. he would be a perfect head coach. He's got fire. Obviously cowher will be around for awhile and obviously there wont be as many coaching openings this year. But I could see parcells and holmgren quiting after this year. Shotenheimer getting fired and maybe the raven might fire billick if they have another shit year. Couldnt you all see grimm coaching dallas?

Russ Grimm hasn't shown me or anyone else anything that would indicate that he would be a perfect head coach or for that matter even a good head coach. He's got fire? A lot of former players have "fire" but they sure as h e l l wouldn't be a great head coach. Come on people! Once again some of you are looking at this through your Steelers colored glasses. We've lost far better assistant coaches to other NFL teams and most of them have not and will not even be labeled as a good head coach.

If you could put the entire Steelers organization into a pan and boil it down to a solid substance, you would find that the substance would consist of the Rooney's and Bill Cowher. They make assistant coaches and players look better than what they actually are.

MasterOfPuppets
05-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Russ Grimm hasn't shown me or anyone else anything that would indicate that he would be a perfect head coach or for that matter even a good head coach. He's got fire? A lot of former players have "fire" but they sure as h e l l wouldn't be a great head coach. Come on people! Once again some of you are looking at this through your Steelers colored glasses. We've lost far better assistant coaches to other NFL teams and most of them have not and will not even be labeled as a good head coach.

If you could put the entire Steelers organization into a pan and boil it down to a solid substance, you would find that the substance would consist of the Rooney's and Bill Cowher. They make assistant coaches and players look better than what they actually are.
and did you even know who cowher was before he took the job?????????:rolleyes:

Steel Pit
05-10-2006, 04:02 AM
and did you even know who cowher was before he took the job?????????:rolleyes:

No I did not and there's plenty of other assistant coaches around the NFL that I don't know and most of them will not become head coaches. I'll add this fact as well, many "unknown"- assistant coaches have been given the opportunity to become head coaches and a lot of them have failed miserably. Russ Grimm has had a few interviews but no takers. If he's not good enough to coach a lousy team like the Lions then he's certainly not good enough to coach the Steelers. He's not what I would classify as head coach material.

DIESELMAN
05-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Its way to early to be answering this question but when the day comes that Cowher steps down with his numerous Super Bowl rings and AFCN Titles( EAT THAT BUNGLES FANS) I say the Steelers will go outside the organization to get a new head coach or someone that Cowher believes can follow in his foot steps.....:helmet:

3 to be 4
05-10-2006, 05:41 AM
2 guys coaching right now that people overlook are Nick Saban and Herman Edwards.
I keep telling people in KC they dont realize what a coaching upgrade they just got.
Vermeil lost all interest in defense after 1999. Edwards took the JETS to three playoffs.

Saban is a future coaching great. a Belichick protege, look what hed did at LSU and in one year with the Dolphins.

coachspeak33
05-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Here are a few thoughts on the HC situation in Pittsburgh:
- Bill Cowher will NOT coach another NFL football team
- It is possible that he could retire sooner than many think
- Dont read too much into the Whiz turning down Oakland cause that is a coaches graveyard... nobody in their right mind wants to work under Al Davis as a HC.... PERIOD.... you know who goes to Oakland to be a HC????? Desperate people hanging on at the end of their career or a guy who just wants an opportunity to gety his foot in the HC'ing door
- Russ Grimm and Whiz give us two "in house" candidates to replace Billy
- **** L. will stay as Steelers D coordinator for a long while... HC'ing during the old days in Cincy are enough to make anyone swear off coaching forever...HA HA
- All of the NC house talk is a bit unsettling but I trust that the Steelers FO will be the first informed by Cowher if he indeed plans on retiring sooner than expected... in fact they have probably had a conversation or two about it since the Super Bowl. You dont become the NFL's most stable franchise without a little planning.
- I think there is a good possibility that we could lose one of those two (Whiz or Grimm) within a season or two
- I dont think we will lose both of them... the rooneys wouldnt let that happen... especially when you consider what some other franchises are doing by generously paying assistants to keep them within their programs.

If I were Whiz or Grimm I wouldnt move a muscle... think about it... HC in Pittsburgh right now means the Rooney's above you, a borderline HOFer at D coordinator, a talented and deep roster led by the youngest QB in history to win a super bowl & the best fans in the world...... but lets just hope that Cowher realizes this and stays for another 15 years.

Big D
05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
I agree with that point that we dont know how long he could be around. and that it could be sooner then we think. look how long this guys been a head coach maybe he could retire within the next couple years to spend time with his family. theres more to life then the gridiron you know

clevestinks
05-10-2006, 08:31 AM
2 guys coaching right now that people overlook are Nick Saban and Herman Edwards.
I keep telling people in KC they dont realize what a coaching upgrade they just got.
Vermeil lost all interest in defense after 1999. Edwards took the JETS to three playoffs.

Saban is a future coaching great. a Belichick protege, look what hed did at LSU and in one year with the Dolphins.
I`m not sold on Saban yet. But I agree that Edwards is a great coach

clevestinks
05-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Who was it that said "Offense makes highlight videos, Defense wins championships"?

BuFu
Thats what I`m talking about! Defense, glad you agreed:cool:

HburgXL06
05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
theres more to life then the gridiron you know

There is. I've been there. It's not near as much fun. Haha.

Thats what I`m talking about! Defense, glad you agreed:cool:

The Steel Curtain won us four in the 70s and this year it did it again. We all know the players/numbers on our defense that shut down offenses from bein able to move (Indy comes to mind).

BuFu

Midnightwriter07
05-10-2006, 06:22 PM
i guess i missed the memo about Saban and Edwards being great coaches??? Saban hasnt done anything yet.. they still missed the playoffs and doesnt Miami usually make a run at the end of every season to fall just short of the playoffs ? Time will tell i guess but i think is a little early to putting them on a pedistool just yet .. Edwards overall record is 39-41 and Saban is 9-7. As i said time will tell but i dont see anything great to this point.

Big D
01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
I started this thread in may. I predicted cowher had five more years. Boy was I wrong..

tony hipchest
01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Saban is a future coaching great. a Belichick protege, look what hed did at LSU and in one year with the Dolphins.:dang:

lol. if whiz or grimm arent hired i still like my darren perry prediction in 5 years. after tomlin or rivera or even worse gailey, the rooneys may realize a return to the roots is in order.