PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Get 6'8" Receiver

SteelerEmpire
02-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Wow. Interesting. This guy's almost 7 ft tall !

Article:

Wide receiver Wes Lyons, a Woodland Hills High School and West Virginia graduate, said he has signed with the Steelers.

LINK: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_722408.html#ixzz1DfU3nht0

Videos:

r07tmiDOMO0

0hAPNTyNiAg

Set-Man
02-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Great......
How can we get the ball to him if BB is on his back?

maybe they can use him as an OL if he gains 200 lbs....

StainlessStill
02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Can anybody say, REDZONE? Who the hell is going to out-jump this guy? I guess everyone who wants a tall receiver GOT their tall receiver. 6'8? That's ginormous. Hopefully he has a good look in camp and improves his route running with his big body! Maybe he would convert to T.E?

1978_steeler
02-11-2011, 02:55 PM
13.5 yards per catch in his Senoir year leads me to think that he was a toss it up and let him go up and get it in a 3rd and long situation. Redzone would be great but I doubt he has been used that way. The guy has 0 TD's @ WV.

But they must see something they like other than him being 6' 8"....good luck to him.

El Nino
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
if they want to try a late round sleeper pick, how about greg salas from hawaii. he should drop to the 5th-6th round and he's got decent speed and is around 6'3, really good hands

kirklandrules
02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Matt Spaeth is 6'7" and the Steelers/Ben have never attempted to utilize his height. When Plexiglass was on the Steelers, I don't really remember a play that required him to use his height advantage. I wish this Lyons kid luck, but I'm thinking this is just a shot in the dark pick-up that will most likely result in a spring time release.

Farrior_roirraW
02-11-2011, 03:20 PM
13.5 yards per catch in his Senoir year leads me to think that he was a toss it up and let him go up and get it in a 3rd and long situation. Redzone would be great but I doubt he has been used that way. The guy has 0 TD's @ WV.

But they must see something they like other than him being 6' 8"....good luck to him.

Yeah... what's up with his stats at WVU?

I don't know how I feel about this...

stb_steeler
02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Isnt that what Ben wants...A bean stalk to put er up in the endzone.

steelerchad
02-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Camp Fodder. WVU didn't get him the ball much. 20 catches in his senior year. Nobody thought much of him around the league last year as he didn't play at all, not even on someone's practice squad. Practice squad is exactly where he should have been last year if he had any talent. With that size, you would have thought someone would try to develop him into a weapon. I guess we're going to give that a shot now.
Good Luck to him.

SteelerEmpire
02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Matt Spaeth is 6'7" and the Steelers/Ben have never attempted to utilize his height. When Plexiglass was on the Steelers, I don't really remember a play that required him to use his height advantage. I wish this Lyons kid luck, but I'm thinking this is just a shot in the dark pick-up that will most likely result in a spring time release.

We all know that Ben has been wanting a tall receiver for a while, so now we will get to see what his plans for one is. But the thing with Spaeth, his hands are 50/50 he'll catch a ball right in his hands, he's not that fast and "it appears" Lyons may be able to go 1ft to 1 1/2 ft higher vertically than Spaeth IF that is the way the team intends to use him... Lyon's also has a 2 yr term with the team... so, we'll see.

stb_steeler
02-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Speath doesnt have the speed to be a WR.....or the hands.....I guess this team is looking to be like the rest of the league...pass happy!

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
ummm.. i still some people get excited about this... i mean maybe but how good could he be if he wasnt even wanted for a practice squad.. sure would be nice if you could get a hidden gem.. to go with brown sanders, wallace, ward and randle el, miller, mendy and redman...

can he play dback?

SeinfeldNut
02-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Interesting to see if the Steelers will utilize him in any specific way.

SteelerEmpire
02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
A good example...? ... A highlight is at 52 secs in the video... lol

5MPOGvqvcvI

SeinfeldNut
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
A good example... go to 57 secs on the video... lol

5MPOGvqvcvI

Haha! That would be an effective way to use him!!!!

4xSBChamps
02-11-2011, 04:10 PM
r07tmiDOMO0

if he throws blocks like that, face-to-face while wearing a Steeler uniform, he'll pay Ms. Goodell millions of dollars

0hAPNTyNiAg

I watched about 3+ minutes of this (having computer problems), and notice 2 things ~

* though talented, he rarely catches the ball at it's highest point possible (at-least what I saw here), negating some of his height-advantage

* the WVU cornerbacks guarding him in practice during this video can't-be taller than 5' 10"

SH-Rock
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
So do we still need a WR?

pete74
02-11-2011, 04:35 PM
it would be awesome to have a good wr 6'8'' but i wont get my hopes up. there is a reason he wasnt drafted and even though teams do find gems this way, its very low odds

bubbletownwr88
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Sweed 2.0 alert?

Pentheon
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
nice pickup, I just hope he turns out better than sweed. He would be perfect for a fade in the endzone

bubbletownwr88
02-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Deandre Brown Southern Miss is where its at. He doesn't even need to change his colors. 6'6 239 lbs. who is a lot faster then Wes Lyons http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/R+L+Carriers+New+Orleans+Bowl+Southern+Miss+pNgdEa z0sBzl.jpg

Deserei90
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
WOW, This guy graduated from My High School. More Wolverines on The Steelers. Good Luck to him.:thumbsup:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Spaeth is a white boy who cant jump and can't catch, lol. What a horrible comparision to a 6-8 WR.

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
isn't deandre brown a head case?.. hopefully lyons will pan out, i have faith he'll be on the team next year caue of the 2 year deal so hopefully it works out... i guess its gonna be bombs away next year....

this still wont help our secondary

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
btw what kind of highlight tape is that?

all practices?

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 07:07 PM
west virginia fans sound off on him

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2508&t=7184957&p=1&sto=MS_94456805

43Hitman
02-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Spaeth is a white boy who cant jump and can't catch, lol. What a horrible comparision to a 6-8 WR.

What does him being white have anything to do with it?

bubbletownwr88
02-11-2011, 08:31 PM
how is DeAndre Brown a head case?

SH-Rock
02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
DeAndre Brown is an absolute stud and would be a steal in 5th-7th round. If he can mature up then it'll help him and us greatly.

Fire Arians
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
What does him being white have anything to do with it?

can't jump? :chuckle:

Fire Arians
02-11-2011, 09:21 PM
how is DeAndre Brown a head case?

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/wr/deandre-brown.shtml

sounds like TO to me

SH-Rock
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM

sounds like TO to me

More like OchoStinko

FanSince72
02-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Does he need to lay on a couch and talk to a shrink about how he feels about the football?

If not, then I say try 'im out!!

Wallace108
02-12-2011, 02:22 AM
west virginia fans sound off on him

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2508&t=7184957&p=1&sto=MS_94456805

I remember reading about this guy before. Opinions on that board seemed more or less mixed, but this stood out to me:

Top notch talent, wasted by Stew-Mullen.

Reminds me of what happened with Willie Parker in college.
Can't hurt to give the guy a look. :noidea:

SteelSurf
02-12-2011, 02:24 AM
He has the speed and hands of a WR and the physicality of a TE.
Here's a interesting read on him, albeit a negative one:
Wes Lyons: The Breakout Star That Never Shined
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/371233-wes-lyons-the-breakout-star-that-never-shined

BlockMonsta
02-12-2011, 03:08 AM
if they want to try a late round sleeper pick, how about greg salas from hawaii. he should drop to the 5th-6th round and he's got decent speed and is around 6'3, really good hands

This Salas was a beast in the bowl game and throughout the season.

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 12:42 PM
This Salas was a beast in the bowl game and throughout the season.

yep i been watching salas for years, dude is for real. you from hawaii too?

SoCalFan
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
The Steelers have always been great at finding raw talent and developing them,just look at Parker to name one.Give him a shot!!!

steelerohio
02-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, it will be interesting...

bubbletownwr88
02-12-2011, 10:26 PM

sounds like TO to me

the steelers can straighten that out very easily when is the last time you hear a steeler player that has attitude issues. Plaxico had attitude issues when he was a steelers they disappeared then resurfaced with the Giants I say we take a chance with DeAndre and then if it doesnt work out release before the season i see no problem with a 5-7 round pick.

BlockMonsta
02-13-2011, 02:29 AM
yep i been watching salas for years, dude is for real. you from hawaii too?

Yep, graduated from Kahuku so got a few freinds up at UH. Gonna play another season of juco ball here in cali though next semetser..assuming I come back. You from the 808 state?

taztroy43
02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
"Steelers sign seven to off-season contracts
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed seven players, including six who were on the 2010 practice squad, to off-season contracts.

The six players from the practice squad who have re-signed are tight end Eugene Bright, safety Damon Cromartie-Smith, linebacker Chris Ellis, wide receiver Tyler Grisham, defensive end Sunny Harris and offensive tackle Kyle Jolly.

First-year wide receiver Wes Lyons, a Woodland Hills graduate, was signed to a reserve/future contract for the 2011 season. Lyons (6-8, 230) originally signed with the New York Jets in 2010 as an undrafted rookie free agent out of West Virginia.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11048/1126131-100.stm#ixzz1EFJrO4J6"

-from pittsburghpostgazette.com

Wath this 2 yr signing is telling me is that they are trying to find a big(tall) WR for redzone purposes or even to be a full time reciever....Why would they sign this guy for 2 years if they are just going to cut him for all you people that say he's just a practice squad body.....I think they signed this guy for 2 years to develop him to be an NFL WR or have him bulk up so he can play tight end for us or something...the guy is 6'9" 235 and has a 41.5 verticle with 4.6 speed he put up 18 B.R. I believe...

You guys should watch some of the youtube vids on him...the guy looks like he can catch but the only thing is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy for most of his career...I say we use him for redzone purposes or possibly bulk him up so he can be our extra TE in the redzone...he already looks like a good blocker against CB in college...but we'll c....a 2 year signing is telling me that they want this guy to develop or they are thinking of utilizing him this year or next.....Why else would he get a 2 yr contract instead of a 1?

The Steelers really went out on this one...if they were looking for a tall WR...they found the tallest WR in the NFL today....lmao....hopefully he pans out because if he does, he is going to be a beast in the endzone! I think the Steelers are looking for a big target WR that isn't LAMEASS SWEED!!!! I guy that I have been really high on all season as a possiblility for the Steelers in the later rounds is WR DeAndre Brown from S. Miss....He can potentially become a Plexico Burress/Vincent Jackson type of guy...I hope we pick him up in the 5th.....A guy that I would love to have on the team would be Pitt WR Jonathan Baldwin...the dude is a better athlete than Brown and at this point is a way better WR (he's projected to go late 1st/early 2nd) but it's highly unlikely we pick him up...but you never know......

Wesley Lyons WR Steelers:( youtube videos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MPOGvqvcvI )

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3457847152_399faab6bc.jpg

DeAndre Brown WR S. Miss:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/files/2010/03/DeAndre-Brown-Credit-Laurel-Leader-Call-300x291.jpg

Jonathan Baldwin, WR Pitt:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/buckshot200/asdf/7baldwin.jpg

taztroy43
02-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Shoot I misspelled the guys name in the title of my thread....It should say WESLEY not westley....lol...

Fire Arians
02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
deandre brown is a great talent but his attitude problems remind me of TO.

now if the steelers coaching staff can knock that out of his system then great. however the diva syndrome is all too common with wr's this talented

theplatypus
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome to last week.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70683

taztroy43
02-17-2011, 03:12 PM
you're absolutely right about this guy....he's the article i mean to post with this thread....http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110216_deandre_brown_the_definition_of_boom_or_b ust_prospect I copied and pasted the article below:

"DeAndre Brown is a former big-time, five-star recruit coming out of high school and is arguably the biggest recruit ever to land at Southern Miss. He immediately made his presence felt on the field in 2008 as the 6-6, 240-pound physical specimen hauled in 67 receptions for 1,117 yards and 12 touchdowns.

For a guy his size he displays a good initial first step off the line and really does have an explosive element to his game – when healthy. He’s not a burner, but is a powerful athlete who can easily shrug off defenders when getting into his routes and possesses the kind of strider speed that is tough to keep pace with. The further down the field he’s asked to run the tougher he is to cover and overall he’s very difficult for opposing defensive backs to keep pace with him on vertical routes.
AdChoices

He also possesses some natural fluidity for a big guy when asked to snap off more sharply breaking routes. Displays good balance out of his breaks, keeps his feet under him and can create an initial burst when trying to change directions and separate for his size. He isn’t a real polished/clean route runner at this stage and will round off his breaks routinely, but for his size you can see a he’s a really naturally gifted athlete.

Therefore, if you have this potentially dominant freshman wide out who runs well for his size, has some natural fluidity/balance as a route runner and exhibits a real explosive element to his game, why isn’t he now a potential first round pick?

The Answer… Brown is a character and medical concern. He brutally broke his left leg in the final game of his freshman season and missed the start of his sophomore year because of it. He also missed time during 2009 with a shoulder injury. Missed seven games this past year with a lower leg strain and never really appeared healthy during the 2010 season because of it, playing with a noticeable gimp. There are also some major questions about his work ethic, attitude and off the field character, as Brown has had some run ins with the coaching staff at Southern Miss and was arrested in July of 2010 on charges of disorderly conduct.

When you hear reports like this and talk to scouts in the area the one word that keeps coming up when describing Brown is “immature”. And if you have a prospect who is immature there are typically a pair of qualities that routinely seem to pop up.

The first is that immature prospects struggle to handle adversity.

The second is that immature prospects struggle to stay healthy because they don’t handle pain well.

Now, in no way am I saying that Brown needed to play through his broken leg. But he’s been injury riddled ever since and you have to question the guy’s passion to get healthy, put in the work in rehab and get back onto to the football field as quickly as possible.

Brown is an impressive natural talent; there is no denying that. And the fact that he is such a talent has me thinking he will still hear his name called sometime during the mid/late portions of the 2011 NFL draft. He’s the kind of prospect who if he ever gets it all together has the skill set to be a very good starting wide out in the NFL. But if he doesn’t, Brown could be out of the NFL sooner rather than later."

taztroy43
02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Welcome to last week.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70683

lol yeah.. i knew about this way before it was officially on their website but I just had some time to post this up.....

I must of missed that one :doh:...I've been so damn busy lately

theplatypus
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Brown is exactly the type of athlete the Steelers won't even bother discussing and I applaud them for that.

PhantomJB93
02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
There has to be something wrong with this guy, I mean he's a physical freak and on paper looks like he should be a dominant force at WR, but his horrid stats through his ENTIRE tenure at WVU are too alarming to ignore, that can't be just a case of being in a system that limits his effectiveness or injuries, there has to be something else we're not seeing...I mean he even went to camp and didn't even make it as a practice squad or special teams player, somebody of his phsycial prowess would surely at least have a backup or PS role on a team if there wasn't some other serious problem...

pittsurghsteelers4life
02-18-2011, 07:06 AM
The guy looks good to me....so give this guy a chance...shit we need something better on our offense.....shit he could be another Randy Moss & for spaeth they need to let him go....this dude can not catch a Ball he catch then he drop the ball...I don't understand why they R keeping this dude trade him ass......u don't need a guy that is scared ...thz why he can't catch the Damm ball.....I WILL NEVER EVER 4GET THAT HE CAUGHT THE FOOT BALL IN THE ENDZONE. & DROPED IT soon as he cought it.......they lost the game after that.....I would have let him go them..