PDA

View Full Version : Crezdon Butler

El Nino
02-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I will say it again he was stolen. He will be a starter next season opposite of ike, and I'm a little surprised he didn't knock off gay as the nickel already, especially with word around training camp saying that nobody really gets by him in practice.

he was projected to be a 1st round pick if he went into the draft his junior year. his stock dropped after his stats went down big in his senior year, finishing with 1 INT and 8 passes defensed. however that might have been because he was only targeted 14 times ALL SEASON. great stats considering the circumstances. we stole this kid, and if he can step up and land a spot on the starting roster he will be huge.

in college his draft stock dropped for being a shutdown corner essentially. isn't the definition of a shutdown corner a player that no qb's want to throw at, and when they do, they shut down the play more than half the time?

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
i sure hope, i keep hearing how great he is... my question is then why did he never get past the practice squad?

steelerchad
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I will say it again he was stolen. He will be a starter next season opposite of ike, and I'm a little surprised he didn't knock off gay as the nickel already, especially with word around training camp saying that nobody really gets by him in practice.

he was projected to be a 1st round pick if he went into the draft his junior year. his stock dropped after his stats went down big in his senior year, finishing with 1 INT and 8 passes defensed. however that might have been because he was only targeted 14 times ALL SEASON. great stats considering the circumstances. we stole this kid, and if he can step up and land a spot on the starting roster he will be huge.

in college his draft stock dropped for being a shutdown corner essentially. isn't the definition of a shutdown corner a player that no qb's want to throw at, and when they do, they shut down the play more than half the time?

I hope you're right. We could use a good corner opposite Ike. If what you say about his stats are true, only target 14 times in a season, then I can't believe his stock dropped that much.

pete74
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
i really thought he was going to come out and play really well for us this year but he didnt. i sure hope he does well next season but i wouldnt be surprised if he did the same thing he did this year either

Merchant
02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
YhQucP7DjYE

thumper
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
i sure hope, i keep hearing how great he is... my question is then why did he never get past the practice squad?

BINGO

El Nino
02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
i really thought he was going to come out and play really well for us this year but he didnt. i sure hope he does well next season but i wouldnt be surprised if he did the same thing he did this year either

probably didn't learn the playbook in swahili and maori yet, which is required for anyone to be a starter in lebeau's system.

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
something doesn't add up..maybe he is in tomlins dog house? i know mendy was in it his rookie year at times and hes doing alright...

but the reason something doesnt make sense is guys like prince akamura(Sp) doesnt get a lot of targets yet he didnt drop out of round 1... same thing with a lot of corners

ebsteelers
02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Strengths
A great cover corner with a lot of experience. He saw extensive playing time as early as his freshman year and has been a starter since his sophomore campaign. Great cover corner with good hips, instincts, the ability to stay with anyone, and change of direction ability. Good ball skills and will attack the ball at it’s highest point.

Weaknesses
Not physical at all. Isn’t a great tackler and won’t be much of a help in run support. Will struggle against bigger receivers. Production dipped Senior year.

Analysis
Some will attribute his below average senior year, statistically, to the fact that a lot of quarterbacks didn’t throw his way. That may be the case, but he’s still not big enough or physical enough to warrant a high draft pick. Because of his fluidity and natural cover skills, he could go anywhere between the 4th and 6th rounds.

[url]http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-crezdon-butler[/url

these are his stats from college

Career Stats
Year Tack Solo Asst Sack FF Int TD
2009 36 26 10 1 0 1 0
2008 43 23 20 1 1 4 0
2007 61 36 25 0 0 3 0
2006 26 10 16 0 0 3 0

sorry the columns dont line
doesnt seem too bad of a tackler

pete74
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
hopefully he pans out because we really need help and drafting one good corner isnt good enough against teams that can play 4 or 5 wr's. Farrior's cover skills dont help either

SH-Rock
02-11-2011, 04:39 PM

It's Dick Lebeau's defense. You don't play in your first year. If you get a chance, probably due to a fallen player and your lucky.

fer522
02-11-2011, 04:42 PM
we sure need better Dbacks

Buddha Bus
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Hopefully the kid steps up and is a player because we desperately need that solid number 2 corner opposite Ike. I'm counting on Butler because I don't think Keenan Lewis is the answer.

bubbletownwr88
02-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I was really looking forward for Keenan Lewis to be the Ike Taylor clone and he was one of my biggest disappointments other than sweed in the last 10 years.

mcg24
02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Butler will end up being a great corner...but we need more. Preferably someone who can cover a comeback route...

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Kind of an old article but a good read. pretty much enforces what I've been saying

Clemson's Crezdon Butler: Underrated Corner

The Tigers graduated two outstanding corners this year. For some reason, the better of the pair seems to be slipping down NFL draft boards.
Reports of a less-than-stellar season for Crezdon Butler are badly flawed. It makes you question how talent is really assessed. There is far more to Butler’s play than a simple stat line will tell you.

In reality, Butler could have gone pro last year and done just fine. He posted more interceptions and return yardage in 2008 than 2009. He also delivered a hit in the South Carolina game that must have made NFL scouts salivate.

Butler’s numbers fell off in 2009 because other teams simply refused to throw at him. In the first five games of the year, there were five balls thrown his way. Yet he had three passes broken up. There’s something to be said for consistency.

Just look at the defensive schemes Kevin Steele used last year. More often than not, the corners were on an island. Chris Chancellor took the “other guy.” Marcus Gilchrist covered the slot receiver. Butler locked up with the one you were scared of. Most times he won.

This is not to say that Crezdon Butler will be the next Deion Sanders. Guys like that don’t show up every year in the draft. What Butler will be at the next level is a very consistent cover man. With safety help in some cover-two variation, he can take a top receiver out of the game.

The minor injuries he suffered towards the end of the year shouldn’t hamper his performance. Oh yeah, he also runs the 40 in 4.3. This guy has earned, at the very least, a middle-round selection. He’ll be a starter in the NFL in two or three years. Bet on it.

http://www.topix.com/forum/ncaa/clemson-football/TOK2UFV4FL8B7M1LM

PhantomJB93
02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Again, I am excited to see what Butler can do and I hope we give him a shot this year, but I don't think its worth passing on a first round corner this year in the hope that Butler pans out.

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Again, I am excited to see what Butler can do and I hope we give him a shot this year, but I don't think its worth passing on a first round corner this year in the hope that Butler pans out.

oh for sure even if he pans out I want a cb in rd. 1 or 2. In today's NFL you need 2 good corners and a decent one as a 3rd in order to stop the top passing attacks. I'm hoping butler can establish himself as the #2 and we can get a good corner in the draft to at least replace gay as the nickel.

will be interesting to see what the FO does if there's both a good talent at cb and mike pouncey still left at #31 though.

ggoldman
02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Keenan Lewis is only in his 3rd year, does anyone remember how long it took Lawrence Timmons to fully grasp LeBeau's D? I expect Lewis to make the jump to nickel-back (at least) and make Willie Gay expendable this off-season.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-12-2011, 05:24 PM

According to early reports (early, as in back towards September or October), he was injured and never really got to go on the playing field as a result. Looking on Google, I was unable to substantiate that though. He DID look badass during the preseason though-- anybody remember that Tim Teblow pass he picked off?

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Keenan Lewis is only in his 3rd year, does anyone remember how long it took Lawrence Timmons to fully grasp LeBeau's D? I expect Lewis to make the jump to nickel-back (at least) and make Willie Gay expendable this off-season.

Lewis is too stupid, to put it very plainly. He messed up BAD in that one game this year and punched out a sign or something at the opposing team's stadium afterwards (which of course landed him in Tomlin's doghouse). And the few other times he has seent he field, he committed some catastrophic mistake and ended up getting pulled and throwing his helmet on the ground on the sidelines afterwards.

I think of him as an Anthony Smith, Version 2. Both of them are dumbasses, like when Smith decapitated someone in a game after he waved for a fair catch and got us a 15 yard penalty (I think it was against the Ravens in 2008 maybe?). Or the time he decleated Ward in a non-full contact walkthrough practice just before a game...

austinfrench76
02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Hopefully this boils down to not picking up Lebeau's system. We really need him to step up!

.24lockdown
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM

He wasn't on the practice squad....he just never got action at cb. he was only in on special teams for a few games.

PhantomJB93
02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't expect anything more from Keenan Lewis, he's done...he's not mentally tough enough for the NFL and he's made too many mistakes in his given playing time. Butler still at least has hope, he hasn't gotten any time yet and in what little time he did he had an INT in preseason.

Tulsa
02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Chuck Noll said if a guy isn't ready to start or at least challenge for a starting job by his 3rd year, cut him.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Butler is promising, but nothing more. He's done absolutely nothing as a Steeler thus far, and even though he's got a lot of athletic ability, there's got to be something we don't know about.

And you've got to take everything you read about in training camp with a grain of salt. All reports indicated Ziggy Hood was the second coming of Joe Greene, but he wasn't nearly as good in the regular season. He struggled early on, but was very very good in the playoffs. Butler might have been locking everyone down in training camp, but who was he covering? Practice squad wide receivers? Rookies? I'm pretty sure he wasn't locking down Hines Ward or Mike Wallace.

Still, I do think he'll come out to prove something. Let's just hope we're right.

.24lockdown
02-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Butler is promising, but nothing more. He's done absolutely nothing as a Steeler thus far, and even though he's got a lot of athletic ability, there's got to be something we don't know about.

And you've got to take everything you read about in training camp with a grain of salt. All reports indicated Ziggy Hood was the second coming of Joe Greene, but he wasn't nearly as good in the regular season. He struggled early on, but was very very good in the playoffs. Butler might have been locking everyone down in training camp, but who was he covering? Practice squad wide receivers? Rookies? I'm pretty sure he wasn't locking down Hines Ward or Mike Wallace.

Still, I do think he'll come out to prove something. Let's just hope we're right.

I don't think there's something we're missing at all. The Steelers don't typically(exception: Pouncey) have rookies starting right away. He hasn't shown us anything obviously because he hasn't gotten a shot yet in the reg season

Ben started because of an injury, and James Harrison didn't start til much later in his career and was even dropped by teams before that....

ricardisimo
02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Tomlin and Lebeau seemed to have great things to say about Lewis before his little rash of blow-ups and miscues. I'd like to think that they are good enough coaches that they can correct his attitude rather than just letting him rot on the vine or get cut. That's half of coaching, right?