PDA

View Full Version : Is it Colbert's fault that we lost the Super Bowl?

mesaSteeler
02-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Hear me out.

With our second pick in 2010 he drafted Worlids an OLB and with our fourth pick he choose another OLB.

Then he brought back BMAc from the Cardnials to bolster the secondary.

It didn't work all that well and our weak secondary hurt us in the Super Bowl. If nothing else it stopped us from using Troy as he should be used by having him play deep center because B-Mac and others couldn't get it done with out help.

Would it have been better to forgo Worlids with the second pick and draft a CB or a Safety?

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we've gone LB happy to often in last few drafts and it's hurting the rest of the team.

Thoughts?

tony hipchest
02-12-2011, 12:53 AM
alot of people wanted us to draft CB kyle wilson instead of pouncey last year.

kyle wilson pretty much sucked for the jets this season and pouncey was a pro bowler (and shoulda been 1st team all-pro). were it not for a superb year by sam bradford, he woulda been the rookie of the year (colberts 2nd since '04).

wilson, on the other hand, leaves the jets in a predicament of resigning antonio cromartie for a HUGE deal because they are still not sure wilson can get it done.

my thoughts are its definitely not colberts thought.

ben missed a read on his second int.
matthews made a GREAT read on mendenhalls fumble.

sometimes the outcome of a game really is that simple.

what colbert did had no bearing on the 2 outcomes of those plays.

TRH
02-12-2011, 08:50 AM
and it went far beyond those 2 plays. The Fox penalty. The Suisham ridiculously dumb FG try. The Packers being much more charged up than we were. Our D not being able to stop the pass. Troy being non-existent (again). Terrible calls by Arians. And on....and on....and on..
My instincts say that Worlids is going to become very important around here. You're right. Colbert wasn't at fault for the loss, he wouldnt' have expected Gay and McFadden to whiff plays like they did.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Sometimes you just get beat by another team that is at least as good.

Defense did not stop a lot of plays last Sunday (TD to go up 21-3 was due to Farrior getting beat and Clark just missing a deflection/the killer 25 yard completion on 3rd and 10 with about 6 minutes left was Taylor getting beat on a seam route that Aikman said Tomlkin had been trying to prepare for in practice all week) and Rodgers made some great passes.

There was a lot more to the loss than than the Gay/McFadden weakness that was present all season. I also am not completely sold on the theory that Troy played deep center field throughout the playoffs to cover for pass D deficiencies rather than because he was hurt. Since the pass D problems were clearly evident after the New England loss, Troy presumably should have played the deep middle after that game rather than wreak havoc in the Buffalo, Baltimore and Cincinnati games until he went down.

Steelers got lucky to even get to Dallas by missing New England and playing two playoff QBs (Sanchez and Flacco) who could not exploit the pass D problems. In Dallas the defense gave up 24 points (they gave up 21 two years ago to Arizona) which going into the game I thought would not be enough points to win - I thought the winner would have to score at least in the high 20s - Green Bay got there after the pick six that was set up by the Steelers throwing from their end zone after Mundy's ST penalty got them backed up.

Given all that, drafting a second round CB would have been a crap shoot that might not have solved the pass coverage issue given LeBeau's reluctance to play rookies. I have no real issue with taking another OLB in the second round to address future problems at OLB. Harrison is 32 and does not have many peak years left (his 4 year run from 2007-2010 is pretty long for peak efficiency) and even if Woodley is franchised getting him into a long term contract is going to be tough with the need to spend defensive side $$ on signing Taylor and Polamalu due for new contract after 2011 if Troy does not retire (do not discount that possibility - Troy does not appear to regard football as something he needs to play until he is released)

Big D
02-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Hear me out.

With our second pick in 2010 he drafted Worlids an OLB and with our fourth pick he choose another OLB.

Then he brought back BMAc from the Cardnials to bolster the secondary.

It didn't work all that well and our weak secondary hurt us in the Super Bowl. If nothing else it stopped us from using Troy as he should be used by having him play deep center because B-Mac and others couldn't get it done with out help.

Would it have been better to forgo Worlids with the second pick and draft a CB or a Safety?

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think we've gone LB happy to often in last few drafts and it's hurting the rest of the team.

Thoughts?

I would say it's colberts fault we got there to begin with. This guy is the most underrated front office exec in the league. Look at his drafting track record. Ben, Woodley, timmons, pouncey,polamalu, wallace, sanders and heath miller. Not even counting sticking with James Harrison. And who even knows his involvement in hiring tomlin.

theplatypus
02-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you're forgetting that Mcfadden was playing with a torn abdominal muscle along with a myriad of other injuries.

saveus1011
02-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Just draft corners the whole draft.

stb_steeler
02-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Just draft corners the whole draft.

That woudl be the key......they'll prolly go for more LB.....:banging:

SH-Rock
02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Interestingly enough, there was praise for Colbert all year for this draft, but once we lose the Super Bowl he's public enemy number 1?

We also have the Woodley/Farrior fiasco. If Woodley decided he wanted big money then he would be gone then Worilids will step in ,because he had a year to know the playbook. If Farrior retired then we have Sly to step in and once again he knows the playbook already.

JEFF4i
02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
If you think that we don't rest on our four LBs as much as we do Troy, you should essentially watch replay as "film." Steelers ask a lot of their LBs, and while I agree CB needs to become a higher priority, a lot of teams would kill to have Colbert on their staff, and with good reason.

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
That woudl be the key......they'll prolly go for more LB.....:banging:

won't happen unless woodley doesn't get signed. worilds was drafted as the eventual replacement for james

Velvet Elvis
02-12-2011, 12:36 PM
and it went far beyond those 2 plays. The Fox penalty. The Suisham ridiculously dumb FG try. The Packers being much more charged up than we were. Our D not being able to stop the pass. Troy being non-existent (again). Terrible calls by Arians. And on....and on....and on..
My instincts say that Worlids is going to become very important around here. You're right. Colbert wasn't at fault for the loss, he wouldnt' have expected Gay and McFadden to whiff plays like they did.

You just came up with 6 or 7 reasons but failed to mention the biggest one ? Ben played terrible the entire game. He lost this game. He hasnt carried this team one time all year. He was a average QB all year...christ Sam Bradford had more Td's then Ben this year, and the Rams suck. The defense played ballz out all year and Ben cant get it done in one game. Total failure by Ben.

SH-Rock
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM
You just came up with 6 or 7 reasons but failed to mention the biggest one ? Ben played terrible the entire game. He lost this game. He hasnt carried this team one time all year. He was a average QB all year...christ Sam Bradford had more Td's then Ben this year, and the Rams suck. The defense played ballz out all year and Ben cant get it done in one game. Total failure by Ben.

Only one interception was Ben's fault.

Steelers>NFL
02-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Face it, the Steelers played a very good, young and deteremined Packers team.
Let's give credit where due, the Packers beat the Steelers. And they are world champs. They were very hungry.
Quit looking for excuses why or who to blame for Steeler's lost.

LegendSteel
02-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't think they would have even made it to the Super Bowl if he hadn't brought back McFadden. Sure maybe he wasn't the greatest down the stretch (he was playing through injuries for quite some time), but he still played fairly solid all year long, as a whole. He was one of the main reasons they won that first game against ATL, McFadden was complete SHUT DOWN against Roddy White all game long. If anything, they need more depth at that position. Anthony Madison is nowhere close to being a nickel/dime CB.

Velvet Elvis
02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Only one interception was Ben's fault.

I'm not talking about just INT's. His game was terrible. High and low throws all game. GB's secondary was hurting in the 2nd half and still he couldnt move the ball on them. All year he played like this its not surprise to me now that he had the game he did. Look at his play in the Jets game. Piss poor. 100+ Qb ? Come on. His play was below average all year. Only decent team he beat was Baltimore and that was a struggle. He had 3 good games all year, Oak,ClvD,and Panthers. He was struggling all year. I really think he is regressing more than anything. He had all day to throw in the Super Bowl and his passing was pathetic.

thumper
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
This isn't something I am just saying in hindsight. I have said since the 2006 draft
that they are really making errors in rounds 2-5 in most drafts. Don't forget the drafted
Bruce Davis in the 3rd when we were plenty fine at that position. You say we F'd up
not using more picks on CB and I agree. But I say OL was the most ignored position
in the draft, and although we have a magician at QB to make a bad OL seem not as
bad, our OL has been a thorn in our side, even though we won another ring in 2008 with
it and almost won another this year. Yes, hindsight is 20-20 but I voiced their errors after
every draft - being right the majority of the time.

2010 1 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida - great pick not complaints
2 Jason Worilds LB Virginia Tech - he better replace Woodley or its a dumb pick
3 Emmanuel Sanders WR Southern Methodist - I didn't like pick but it might have been solid
4 Thaddeus Gibson LB Ohio State - not even on team. Would have preferred OL or DB
5 Chris Scott G Tennessee - made team and played. Not bad
5 Crezdon Butler DB Clemson - where did this kid go? We were told he rocked in camp
7 Stevenson Sylvester LB Utah - Looks like a great pick
8 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech - Love this pick. Still might develop. I think he will.
9 Antonio Brown WR Central Michigan - Seems good
12 Doug Worthington DE Ohio State

2009 1 Evander Hood DT Missouri - no complaints from me.
3 Kraig Urbik T Wisconsin - Bust
3 Mike Wallace WR Mississippi - Awesome pick
4 Keenan Lewis DB Oregon State - he sucks
5 Joe Burnett DB Central Florida - sucks
5 169 Frank Summers RB UNLV - Took a shot, didn't work out
6 32 205 Ra'Shon Harris DT Oregon
7 17 226 A.Q. Shipley C Penn State
7 David Johnson TE Arkansas State - Not bad for 7th.

2008 1 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois - Still is just shy of a really good player. OK, not great.
2 Limas Sweed WR Texas - big swing and miss.
3 Bruce Davis LB UCLA - Total screw up, horrid pick
4 Tony Hills T Texas - Wish he panned out. Hasn't.
5 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon - Good gamble. Maybe didn't hit
6 Mike Humpal LB Iowa - shit
7 Ryan Mundy DB West Virginia - sucks

2007 1 Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State - Not bad
2 LaMarr Woodley DE Michigan- Great
3 Matt Spaeth TE Minnesota - he sucks. OL would have been a better pick for sure
4 Daniel Sepulveda P Baylor Really? OL or CB would have been the better pick
4 Ryan McBean DE Oklahoma State
5 Cameron Stephenson G Rutgers
7 William Gay DB Louisville
7 Dallas Baker WR Florida

2006 1 1 25 25 Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State
2 Anthony Smith DB Syracuse - seemed like a huge pick. Dude is just too dumb
3 Willie Reid WR Florida State - crap
4 Willie Colon G Hofstra - OK
4 Orien Harris DT Miami (FL)
5 Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green
5 Charles Davis TE Purdue
6 Marvin Philip C California

thumper
02-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not talking about just INT's. His game was terrible. High and low throws all game. GB's secondary was hurting in the 2nd half and still he couldnt move the ball on them. All year he played like this its not surprise to me now that he had the game he did. Look at his play in the Jets game. Piss poor. 100+ Qb ? Come on. His play was below average all year. Only decent team he beat was Baltimore and that was a struggle. He had 3 good games all year, Oak,ClvD,and Panthers. He was struggling all year. I really think he is regressing more than anything. He had all day to throw in the Super Bowl and his passing was pathetic.

All that being said, if Mendy holds on to the Fing ball, we probably win.
And if we had Holmes on the field, we also win. BB wasn't great, but he
played well enough for us to win. How many games did he pull out
that had any other QB been back there, we lose? Happens all the time.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2011, 02:25 PM

:coffee:

NFL 2010 passer rankings/ratings

RANK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

5 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 389 240 61.7 3200 8.23 56 17 5 32 97.0 267

25 Sam Bradford STL 590 354 60.0 3512 5.95 49 18 15 34 76.5 220

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

:sign07:

tony hipchest
02-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm not talking about just INT's. His game was terrible. High and low throws all game. GB's secondary was hurting in the 2nd half and still he couldnt move the ball on them.

this is just flat out wrong and not even worth explaining why to somebody who believes its actually true. :nerd:

pitt0wns
02-12-2011, 02:32 PM
We go too nuts with Linebackers. I dont get it.

tube517
02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
It's all The Chief's fault. :jerkit:

Velvet Elvis
02-12-2011, 08:58 PM
this is just flat out wrong and not even worth explaining why to somebody who believes its actually true. :nerd:

I dont know what people consider good QB play ? Ben had 9 Td passes in 4 games against ClvD x2, Oak, and panthers. That leaves 8 more regular season games he had a total of 8 more. That's a 1 per game average over the other 8 games. For a player that make 100+ million that is terrible. Then you look at the entire playoffs, 4 TD passes and 4 INT's . Again if you think this is good or some say how great he played I'd like to know what you consider "bad play" ? The defense carried this team all year. No doubt about it. Ben barely did anything the entire year. People love to come up with all the excuses in the world for his bad play. Just face it he isnt getting any better, he getting worse. Ben here's an idea for next year. Join a YMCA and find a treadmill and weight room , come to camp in shape for once in your career. Looks like the guy never touched a weight in his life. Start being a professional football player instead of a professional jackass.

steelerohio
02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
yeah i blame Colbert... for getting us to the Super Bowl in the first place with his drafting. I bet there's at least 25 other teams that would like to have him draft for them.

He's alright...

LegendSteel
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
yeah i blame Colbert... for getting us to the Super Bowl in the first place with his drafting. I bet there's at least 25 other teams that would like to have him draft for them.

He's alright...

Seriously, some people are too spoiled.

steelerohio
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure being spoiled has anythign to do with this case, I think it's more of a case of people being nitpicky... things are good now... yeah the Steelers lost teh Super Bowl, but still, no one except the team itself and some of the fans, expected them to be there in the first place... Hell, it seemed everybody was rooting for the Ratbirds...

austinfrench76
02-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Adding 2 OLB's make sense if they don't think they can resign LWood. I'm not sure about Worilds yet, how could anyone be, but I do agree that CB and OLine was much more of a pressing need. In regards to the SB, our offense outscored GB 25-24. Just sayin...

zulater
02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I dont know what people consider good QB play ? Ben had 9 Td passes in 4 games against ClvD x2, Oak, and panthers. That leaves 8 more regular season games he had a total of 8 more. That's a 1 per game average over the other 8 games. For a player that make 100+ million that is terrible. Then you look at the entire playoffs, 4 TD passes and 4 INT's . Again if you think this is good or some say how great he played I'd like to know what you consider "bad play" ? The defense carried this team all year. No doubt about it. Ben barely did anything the entire year. People love to come up with all the excuses in the world for his bad play. Just face it he isnt getting any better, he getting worse. Ben here's an idea for next year. Join a YMCA and find a treadmill and weight room , come to camp in shape for once in your career. Looks like the guy never touched a weight in his life. Start being a professional football player instead of a professional jackass.

Let's disqualify 4 good games in for what for Ben was a 12 game regular season, because it's conveinent for your point? Let's start with the two Browns game that you want to dismiss. Were you aware that if you removed the two Steelers losses from the Browns record their total point differential on the season would have been -11? Money players in Vegas often use point differential to identify up and coming teams going into a season. Or another way to say it is that the Browns weren't nearly as bad as their record. The Browns were also good enough to best Tom Brady and the Patriots and Drew Brees and the Saints, so disqualifying those two games comes off as nothing more than an arbitrary standard by you. Same for the dismissal of the Raiders win. The Raiders were 8-8, they beat Phil Rivers and the Chargers twice, those two losses more than anything else are probably why the Chargers were home for the post season. But since Ben posted good numbers that game let's pretend it didn't happen because you say so. Yeah right. As far as the Panther game, every team plays a powder puff or two, in fact sometimes those can be the hardest games of all, because you end up playing down to your competition. Look at the year Drew Brees just completed against a pretty weak schedule, and you'll see he struggled considerably against some very poor teams. The fact is the Steelers needed and got the 4 wins that you want to dismiss Ben's performance in. That's not the way the league works.

Also just because Ben only threw 8 touchdowns in the other 8 games doesn't mean that his performance was below the bar or inadequete in those games. In fact in almost all of those games his performace was actually very good. Particuarly considering how the offensive line was struggling through a good portion of the season after Starks went down. It wasn't Ben's fault that numerous drives were stalled by one holding call after the other against the Bills and Bengals. That the running game struggled at times etc...

You think Ben is a liability, not worth his pay, and did little or nothing to help this team win. Bullshit! Go check out the Niners or Cardinals season and see how that played out. The Niners have good talent across the board, but their season went nowhere in a bad division because they were lousy behind center. Same with the Cardinals, no Kurt Warner, decent team becomes miserable team, Beanie Wells goes from potential start to putz overnight. Same with the Titans, best running back in the game possibly, but it got them nowhere because no one respected their passing game. Nine or ten men in the box nearly every down.

Speaking of which, I'm sure in your world, where everything Ben is bad, Ben deserves no credit for the win over the Jets in the AFC title game. It was all Mendenhall and the defense. Well guess what, after the game the Jets nearly to a man said the player that concerned them the most was Ben, that's why Mendenhall was able to run the ball so effectively all day.

Look I don't know what Ben did that you hate him so bad? Yeah we all know the accusations, but unless you were that girl in the bathroom you have no more idea what happened than I do that night. And we should all recognize the fact that the accusation wasn't even solid enough to cut mustard with a Grand Jury ( which isn't that high a bar to reach) so imo some presumption of innocence is owed the man.

If you have a personal story concerning Ben perhaps you should share it, at least then perhaps we might understand why you can't seperate the person from the player?

But as it stands now your assessment of Ben the football player comes off as ridiculously biased and completely lacking in credibility. .