PDA

View Full Version : Emmanuel Sanders = the new go-to guy

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
A good article I've run across. Which WR bailed us out the most in 3rd and long situations all year? If you said Emmanuel Sanders, you guessed correct.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/01/21/watch-out-for-emmanuel-sanders-on-third-and-long/

Emmanuel Sanders has been a great addition to the Steelers. The rookie has quickly taken over the No. 3 receiver job, and he's shown plenty of signs that he's the heir apparent to Hines Ward -- he even blocks a little like No. 86.

But Sanders' greatest feat is being exceptional on third-and-long. You would think that a rookie wide receiver is not going to get the attention of a veteran quarterback very often in the most difficult of passing situations, but in Sanders' case, he's turned it into an art form.

Five times Ben Roethlisberger has looked for Sanders on third-and-11 or more. Considering the near impossibility of converting third-and-uber-long, if Sanders and Roethlisberger had managed to hook up for one or two first downs, it would be an exceptional performance.

Sanders is 5-for-5. He's converted three third-and-11s, a third-and-13 and a third-and-24. When you consider that the rest of the Steelers' receivers corp has four conversions in 34 third-and 11-plus situations, Sanders' perfection is almost hard to explain.

Ward has been the second most successful on third-and-forever, but the speedy Mike Wallace actually has the most balls thrown his way in those situations.

Brown may only be 1-for-2, but that one catch gets some extra credit considering it was his 58-yard catch to beat the Ravens last week.

Pittsburgh does have one additional third and way-long conversion -- Roethlisberger's hobbled scamper for 18 yards on a third-and-17 against the Bills. He has also been sacked nine times on third-and-11-plus situations, but those are very understandable sacks -- you don't go 10-for-40 on third-and-11-plus without taking some chances. In Roethlisberger's case, his attempts to extend the play make it an all-or-nothing gamble. He'll sometimes get sacked because he tries to buy time for a wide receiver to get open, but on a third and long, it just means the punt is from a little farther back.

Roethlisberger has consistently been the league's best at making the impossible possible. Football Outsiders' stats have him as the league's best on third-and-8 or longer this year (he also was the league's best in 2007). In the four games before Roethlisberger came back, Pittsburgh was 0-for-8.

MAKING IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE
The Steelers have been remarkably good at converting third and 11+ this year. Here's a look at Ben Roethlisberger's targets on those plays.

Player Successful Attempts
Emmanuel Sanders 5 5
Hines Ward 2 7
Mike Wallace 1 8
Heath Miller 0 4
Mewelde Moore 0 3
Antwaan Randle El 0 4
Isaac Redman 0 1
Antonio Brown 1 2

tony hipchest
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
i wont say it killed us when he went down in the SB but it definitely hurt. he was gonna be a big part of the gameplan with many 4-5 wr sets, and we certainly struggled on 3rd down.

with woodson out and him in there we woulda had matchup advantages all over the field. im thinking he woulda been bens go-to guy on that final drive.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Stories are coming out that in addition to being lost on the last drive Wallace ran a poor route on the deep Roethlisberger over throw that would have put the Steelers up 24-21 and Brown apparently badly ran a terrible route when Ben threw to Brown in the first quarter, after which Roethlisberger rarely threw to Brown - so the loss of Sanders definitely hurt since the moment may have been too big for the other young WRs

But of course so did the loss of Shields and Woodson for Green Bay - while rewatching the game I noticed on the last Steelers TD drive you could see the seams where the sections of turf were not even the same color - the condition of that field did not help anyone - epic fail by Dallas in general and Jerry Jones in particular as hosts

Farrior_roirraW
02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I agree with every post in this thread.

Sanders breaking his foot definitely hurt the offense.

GBpack2010
02-12-2011, 08:20 PM
How is Sanders doing? I know he was hurt early in the game. Hope he is OK, any updates?

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 08:50 PM
How is Sanders doing? I know he was hurt early in the game. Hope he is OK, any updates?

broken foot, he's expected to have surgery in the offseason and be healthy before training camp.

i'm expecting great things from this kid in the future, he's a lot like hines ward with speed.

SH-Rock
02-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Sanders and Brown will be a great compliment to Wallace in the future. These guys developed tremendously over the course of the year.

Fire Arians
02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Sanders and Brown will be a great compliment to Wallace in the future. These guys developed tremendously over the course of the year.

yep. though i'm less confident that brown will be a breakout player. he's got good speed but doesn't seem to get it when it comes to route running. he'll be that guy to watch out for big plays (a la nate washington, but better because he can actually catch) but sanders is looking to clearly be the #2 or #1 guy.

Would it be a stretch to think that sanders might lead the steelers in receptions next season? I like wallace, but judging by what I've seen this season from sanders, he'll be the next steeler wr that goes for 70+ catches a season (like ward was)

steeltheone
02-13-2011, 12:49 AM
There is much to learn to go from average to good. A QB like BR7 makes wideouts look good. As does any Franchise Gunslinger. We will see if these guys can take the next step.

austinfrench76
02-13-2011, 01:23 PM
The young money crew should be amazing next year! Ward as Old Money is too funny!

I really wanted to see more from Brown though after Sanders went down. Until that point, i really saw them as interchangeable. Now, it's clear that Sanders was better. Brown WAS awesome as a return man though! Regardless, we look pretty good at WR for a while!

GBpack2010
02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
broken foot, he's expected to have surgery in the offseason and be healthy before training camp.

i'm expecting great things from this kid in the future, he's a lot like hines ward with speed.

Sorry to hear that. I hope his foot heals for next season and he comes back strong.

PhantomJB93
02-13-2011, 08:11 PM
After we drafted him and I watched his highlight tape, it struck me that he was like a fusion of Santonio and Hines - he had Hines's physicality, blocking, and determination after the catch, yet also had the speed and agility of Santonio.

I think he's gonna explode next season, in fact I think he'll be our leading receiver in everything except YPC (Wallace will still have that title).

SH-Rock
02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
After we drafted him and I watched his highlight tape, it struck me that he was like a fusion of Santonio and Hines - he had Hines's physicality, blocking, and determination after the catch, yet also had the speed and agility of Santonio.

I think he's gonna explode next season, in fact I think he'll be our leading receiver in everything except YPC (Wallace will still have that title).

I feel the same way. Sanders brings a lot to the table. He's a better route runner than Wallace, but I'm sure Tomlin has something up his sleeve. Oh say the one trick pony vs Sanders for number 1 receiver. This would certainly bring the best out of both of them.

Fire Arians
02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope his foot heals for next season and he comes back strong.

even if the next super bowl is a rematch and he ends up being the MVP? hey it might happen. :chuckle:

in all seriousness though losing him during the game hurt, he looked like he was on his way to having himself a good game before getting injured. sucks, i always look forward to watching sanders play, he's already one of my favorite steelers.

it is fortunate that the injury wasn't anything serious and he'll make a full recovery though.

GBpack2010
02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
even if the next super bowl is a rematch and he ends up being the MVP? hey it might happen. :chuckle:

in all seriousness though losing him during the game hurt, he looked like he was on his way to having himself a good game before getting injured. sucks, i always look forward to watching sanders play, he's already one of my favorite steelers.

it is fortunate that the injury wasn't anything serious and he'll make a full recovery though.

Well I dont want him to be MVP against us.:chuckle: He seems like a good player, never want to see that happen. Woodson and Driver both got injured so it looked like that turf was made of concrete. Dallas should never host a super bowl again with ice falling from the stadium roof injuring people then they denied 400 people their tickets and the National anthem is messed up. What do you expect though when you have anyone associated with the Cowboys running things.:chuckle:

kirklandrules
02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Well I dont want him to be MVP against us.:chuckle: He seems like a good player, never want to see that happen. Woodson and Driver both got injured so it looked like that turf was made of concrete. Dallas should never host a super bowl again with ice falling from the stadium roof injuring people then they denied 400 people their tickets and the National anthem is messed up. What do you expect though when you have anyone associated with the Cowboys running things.:chuckle:

We got what was expected from a Jerry Jones production. Lots of glamor with nothing under the hood. That whole package Jerry put together sucked. Seeing so many guys go down due to the turf brings me back to the statement: real teams play on real grass! I wish Heinz field would adopt the lighting system they have at Lambeau. Have any of our GB friends heard post season analysis on these lights?
http://www.snfallaccess.com/2010/11/lambeau-light/

stb_steeler
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I hope it doesnt become one of those lingering injuries.He's worked so hard to make the team.

El Nino
02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
jerry probably wanted to make the turf as hard as possible. makes sense, he hates both the packers and steelers, seeing players from both teams go down probably made him smile.

stb_steeler
02-14-2011, 01:44 PM

I dont know why some teams like the plastic turf crap....I can imagine that really hurts when being slammed to the ground. There isnt much between u and the concrete. when i was a kicker/receiver for local team i'd go to a local indoor arena here to practice field goals and that was turf.....I hated it so much, there is no adjusting to it. You either hit it dead on or you end up shankin your ankle, which is what i did on several occassions......

GBpack2010
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I dont know why some teams like the plastic turf crap....I can imagine that really hurts when being slammed to the ground. There isnt much between u and the concrete. when i was a kicker/receiver for local team i'd go to a local indoor arena here to practice field goals and that was turf.....I hated it so much, there is no adjusting to it. You either hit it dead on or you end up shankin your ankle, which is what i did on several occassions......

That must hurt like a B -tch too when you kick field goals or extra points on that turf. You ever have to miss any time from an ankle injury on that stuff?

GBpack2010
02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
jerry probably wanted to make the turf as hard as possible. makes sense, he hates both the packers and steelers, seeing players from both teams go down probably made him smile.

We hate the Cowcraps too! Seeing them fall apart brought a smile to my face especially when we whooped them on SNF in Lambeau this season 45-7.

GBpack2010
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
We got what was expected from a Jerry Jones production. Lots of glamor with nothing under the hood. That whole package Jerry put together sucked. Seeing so many guys go down due to the turf brings me back to the statement: real teams play on real grass! I wish Heinz field would adopt the lighting system they have at Lambeau. Have any of our GB friends heard post season analysis on these lights?
http://www.snfallaccess.com/2010/11/lambeau-light/

No but I just read about it. Heinz should do it though. You guys seem to have a nice stadium and atmosphere there in Pittsburgh. Also real teams play outside in the elements not in the indoor domes. Although the Packers play alot better especially Rodgers in domes.

Fire Arians
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
That must hurt like a B -tch too when you kick field goals or extra points on that turf. You ever have to miss any time from an ankle injury on that stuff?

2 things, the grip on artificial turf doesn't 'give' at all on hard cuts which is why you see all kind of ankle injuries. if you make a similar kind of cut or dig on a grass turf, you'll just fly up a chunk of grass and mud but your ankle is fine. of course you might slip but i'd take that over a season ending injury any day of the week.

also landing on that kinda turf freakin HURTS. it's like landing on concrete almost. I played a few games at aloha stadium in HS which uses the astro turf and one thing that always stuck out to me was hitting the ground on that turf really felt much different than landing on grass. Let's just say there's no wonder why *most* NFL players prefer to play on grass.

outlawing artificial turf would probably be beneficial to the longevity of NFL careers, imo. but it'll never happen.

GBpack2010
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
2 things, the grip on artificial turf doesn't 'give' at all on hard cuts which is why you see all kind of ankle injuries. if you make a similar kind of cut or dig on a grass turf, you'll just fly up a chunk of grass and mud but your ankle is fine. of course you might slip but i'd take that over a season ending injury any day of the week.

also landing on that kinda turf freakin HURTS. it's like landing on concrete almost. I played a few games at aloha stadium in HS which uses the astro turf and one thing that always stuck out to me was hitting the ground on that turf really felt much different than landing on grass. Let's just say there's no wonder why *most* NFL players prefer to play on grass.

outlawing artificial turf would probably be beneficial to the longevity of NFL careers, imo. but it'll never happen.

I agree. Look at how many players went down during the super bowl. We had 3 guys go down and you had one guy go down and even Ben almost hurt his knee on that pass. Im just happy it happened during the super bowl and not mid season otherwise we would be screwed with Woodson and Driver being hurt. I agree they should not play on that turf. Look how many injuries happen every year in Dallas like this year Romo broke his collarbone on that turf and it seems like those injuries happen every year in Minny, Dallas, Indy, New Orleans and St. Louis from their turf.