PDA

View Full Version : Double dose of Pouncey would help Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Double dose of Pouncey would help Steelers
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/double-dose-of-pouncey-would-help-steelers/article_e2c40ce0-372a-11e0-af4e-0017a4a78c22.html
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff Timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH - Never before have two brothers played together for the Steelers. But that could change soon.

Maurkice Pouncey was nothing short of sensational this past season. So why not find a way to get Mike Pouncey on the team?

The Steelers could double their pleasure on the offensive line for years to come with Pouncey and Pouncey. But the possibility of the identical twins playing for the Steelers might be a long shot.

For starters, Mike Pouncey probably won't be available when it's the Steelers' turn to make their first-round pick. He's one of the highest-rated interior linemen in the draft, and he might not last until the Steelers choose at No. 31.

Certainly, other teams in the league needing a force inside have seen what Maurkice did as a rookie. So why not take Mike if he's available?

Plus, maybe the Steelers will be so worried about their precarious situation at cornerback that they may go that route.

Still, the Steelers do have issues on the O-line, including right guard. In the last three seasons, the Steelers have started five different players there, including three this season (Trai Essex, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster).

That problem could be solved if the Steelers take Mike Pouncey. He played center at the University of Florida this past season. But in the previous two years, he started at right guard next to Maurkice, who centered for the Gators.

Since the Steelers chose Maurkice Pouncey with the 19th pick in 2010, they have loved everything about him. They rave about his athleticism, intelligence and the way he plays the game. They rave about his character and his willingness to learn. He's a terrific football player and a good guy to boot.

Maurkice wants to be reunited with his brother. Likewise for Mike Pouncey.

It's hard to imagine that if Mike Pouncey's name is still on the draft board when the Steelers make their first-round pick that coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert would pass on him.

But Pouncey and Pouncey surely has a nice ring to it. Maybe the Steelers will trade up to get him.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

Copyright 2011 Timesonline.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

xli...
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Could he play corner too?

Fire Arians
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM

no but he can probably keep our qb standing long enough so he can throw the ball without getting his arm hit in the process, or something like that.

theplatypus
02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I would love too see them playing together for the Steelers for the next 10 years, but I'm not holding my breath. If we got really lucky maybe the two of them would take pay cuts just to stay together.

zulater
02-13-2011, 12:22 PM

My thoughts exactly.

As much as I like the prospect of upgrading the offensive line, upgrading the secondary is a much greater priority.

PhantomJB93
02-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Hey, he might have some success at bump-and-run...or at least the bump part...:noidea:

Bubbabanjo
02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Coach Noll process still works. If he is on the board get him. O-Line wins championships as much as great Defense.

But.....if there is a shutdown corner, how many times do we need to be Bart Simpson touchin the stove there. Quit gettin burnt if we can.

lipps83
02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I would be more than okay for the Steelers to trade up to grab him. Only him though, I don't want them to move up for a corner or anything.

Steelthe#1dynasty
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM

If we can have longer consistent drives on offense, it makes no difference who plays corner. The formula (i.e., running the play) speaks for itself. However, I do agree we need to upgrade the corners. I'll take Mike Pouncey! It would be a great pick for chemistry on the line.

Rick5895
02-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Picking at 31 we won't get a shut down corner In fact I would doubt we would get an immediate shutdown corner at all in the bottom 3rd of the draft. If Pouncey is there or still available after the 25th pick i would think it might be wise to go get him. Otherwise we follow our draft schedule and take the best available player at 31. ( Likely an interior OL or DB)

Bubbabanjo
02-13-2011, 03:49 PM
We REALLY NEED a strong Bull Rush player. Harrison played hurt in the SB......that explains a lot. But we arent breaking down the protection any more. If we cant get a corner....then a strong pass rusher is a must. Lessens the need for a shutdown corner too.

pete74
02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
i want a good CB and if none are there then i would love to have Phil Taylor. he can be our next great NT

lipps83
02-13-2011, 04:21 PM
The P brothers have stated that they would like to play together. At some point, that is probably going to happen. Does anyone know how much that might affect to a GM's decision to draft him?

If I was a GM on another team, I would think that potentially losing him after 4 or 5 years would impact my decision to draft him. Maurkice isn't going anywhere and the lure of the Steelers organization is huge. Everyone knows right now that Mike has his fingers crossed that the Steelers draft him. So, the potential of him being slightly disgruntled right off the bat is another factor.

Of course, if a team needs a guard and feels he is the best available they are going to take him. And of course, signing a contract worth several millions of dollars makes the negatives less so.

Any one have similar thoughts?

thumper
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
My thoughts exactly.

As much as I like the prospect of upgrading the offensive line, upgrading the secondary is a much greater priority.

Not only that but is OG our biggest problem on the OL
or shouldn't we be looking at upgrading one of the worst
OT units in the league? Remember back in the day when
we had decent OTs? Sure was nice.

steelerohio
02-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Hey, i would have nothing against taking him if he's still available. Cb would be great though.

Rick5895
02-14-2011, 03:19 AM
The P brothers have stated that they would like to play together. At some point, that is probably going to happen. Does anyone know how much that might affect to a GM's decision to draft him?

If I was a GM on another team, I would think that potentially losing him after 4 or 5 years would impact my decision to draft him. Maurkice isn't going anywhere and the lure of the Steelers organization is huge. Everyone knows right now that Mike has his fingers crossed that the Steelers draft him. So, the potential of him being slightly disgruntled right off the bat is another factor.

Of course, if a team needs a guard and feels he is the best available they are going to take him. And of course, signing a contract worth several millions of dollars makes the negatives less so.

Any one have similar thoughts?

Just looked at the PFW mock....They have mike going at 19 to the giants