PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famer Woodson joins Raiders staff as DB coach

SteelCityMom
02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Hall of Famer Woodson joins Raiders staff as DB coach

NFL.com
Published: Feb. 14, 2011 at 01:48 p.m.
Updated: Feb. 14, 2011 at 01:57 p.m.

The Oakland Raiders (http://www.nfl.com/teams/oaklandraiders/profile?team=OAK) have hired Hall of Famer Rod Woodson as defensive backs coach, the team announced on Monday.

Woodson, best known for his 10 seasons with the Steelers from 1987-96, made the Pro Bowl 11 times -- a record for a defensive back. The 1993 defensive player of the year owns NFL records with 12 interceptions returned for touchdowns and 1,483 yards on interception returns, even though his 71 career interceptions were only third-best. He also returned kicks early in his career.

Woodson moved on with the 49ers in 1997 and then to Baltimore a year later and played four seasons, switching to safety in 1999 and finally winning a Super Bowl during the 2000 season with one of the best defenses in NFL history.

Woodson also played two seasons with Oakland before retiring in 2004. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio on Aug. 8, 2009.

Since 2004, Woodson has been an in-studio analyst at NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e4d6a3/article/hall-of-famer-woodson-joins-raiders-staff-as-db-coach?module=HP_headlines

pete74
02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Hall of Fame defensive back Rod Woodson has been hired by the Raiders as their new secondary coach.

An 11-time Pro Bowler, Woodson was a premier cornerback and safety during his career. He holds multiple NFL records, with 12 interceptions returned for touchdowns and 1,483 yards on interception returns, even though his 71 career interceptions were only third-best. He played most of his career with the Steelers, but his last two professional seasons were in Oakland.

Since retirement, Woodson has been an analyst for NFL Network.

The way we see it

The Raiders' top defensive back, All-Pro CB Nnamdi Asomugha(notes), is a free agent this offseason. Oakland would like to bring him back, and adding one of the sport's all-time greats will certainly help persuade the corner to return. It is unknown what type of coach Woodson will be, as this is his first job in the profession at any level.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20110214_woodson_hired_as_raiders_db_coach
this is who we should of brought in

El Nino
02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
damn it. i wanted woodson to coach our db's

steelerjim58
02-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I know that it is irrational to feel this way, but for me , this is a slap in the face. I understand that certainly he has every right to do this. But I hope he fails miserably.

Fire Haley
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
good

I won't have to listen to him bad mouth Ben anymore on the NFL channel

stb_steeler
02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
good

I won't have to listen to him bad mouth Ben anymore on the NFL channel

Exactly........he got no respect for the Steelers anymore.....Enjoy your losing seasons in Oakland Woodson......:wave:

pete74
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I know that it is irrational to feel this way, but for me , this is a slap in the face. I understand that certainly he has every right to do this. But I hope he fails miserably.

how is it a slap in the face? the man wants to work and even though we need a DB coach i didnt hear anything about us offering him a job. i think he will do very well coaching defensive backs and will someday be a DC

Fire Haley
02-14-2011, 02:35 PM
With all those kids at home I wonder if he's ready for a full time coaching job - maybe he just wants out of the house.

steeltheone
02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Tomlin has no ties to ex Steelers...He will stick to his friends and former players.....Just as Whiz does in Arizonia.

steeltheone
02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Go get em' Rod!

fer522
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Tomlin has no ties to ex Steelers...He will stick to his friends and former players.....Just as Whiz does in Arizonia

than we should go after John Lynch, they know each other
and he was a very good Dback

austinfrench76
02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Good. I like Rod but one less shitty NFL Network analyst.

Steelers>NFL
02-14-2011, 03:04 PM
how is it a slap in the face? the man wants to work and even though we need a DB coach i didnt hear anything about us offering him a job. i think he will do very well coaching defensive backs and will someday be a DC

Woodson owes the Steelers nothing. Vice versa. He wants to work.
And he took the job. No hard feelings here. Good luck Rob.

steelerchad
02-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Who Cares? Wouldn't want him as a coach for the Steelers anyway. I loved Rod as a Steelers player, he was a great corner here. Great players rarely make great coaches. Cowher and Tomlin both played ball, but neither would ever be considered great. Those guys had to work and study to just make the team and get a chance. Mike Singletary was a great player, I don't think anyones confusing him with the greatest of coaches. Coaches who were great players don't understand why a guy struggles and just can't go execute a certain play like he would have when he played. Of course their are exceptions, but generally speaking give me a coach who had to work, study, and scratch his way through the league.

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I think its good for Rod, he'll make a great coach in my opinion.

I get that fans think he's "turncoat" or something...but he needs to earn a living and loves the game...the more former steelers players on staffs just perpetuates our eventual take over of all 31 other teams.

I mean, its not like I'm angry at Kevin Greene for coaching up Clay Mathews or anything...

Sixburgher
02-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Who Cares? Wouldn't want him as a coach for the Steelers anyway. I loved Rod as a Steelers player, he was a great corner here. Great players rarely make great coaches.

Thank you. Case in point: Joe Greene.

pete74
02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
i dont know why everyone here hates him. he played great for us when we had him. working for a network you cant be one sided and have to tell the people what they want to hear. with the exception of Rod's pink house i always liked everything about him

Merchant
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I can't see Rod panning out to be a good coach. Just my hunch.

kirklandrules
02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you. Case in point: Joe Greene.

And this can be translated to multiple sports: Hockey: Wayne Gretzky, Basketball: Larry Bird, Football: Mike Singletary. In fact, it's rare to have an all-pro caliber player that becomes a great coach. I can name Bill Russell who did it in basketball, but can't really think of a football example.

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
And this can be translated to multiple sports: Hockey: Wayne Gretzky, Basketball: Larry Bird, Football: Mike Singletary. In fact, it's rare to have an all-pro caliber player that becomes a great coach. I can name Bill Russell who did it in basketball, but can't really think of a football example.

the theory being, that the "Greats" have a higher level of talent than most other players, that they are more naturally gifted, and when they get into coaching, they can't understand why the people they are coaching aren't doing it as well as they did. They almost can't grasp the fact they were so great because of God Given talents as well as hard work and dedication. They think everyone should be as good as they were, and can't put that aside to actually just coach Xs and Os...that's a theory on it anyway. Why the "greats" never really become "great coaches"

Rick5895
02-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Rod Woodson has been hired to coach cornerbacks with the Oakland raiders. It would have been nice to have him here, but I am sure with he and his family living in the Oakland /SF area this was his best option.

Deserei90
02-15-2011, 07:26 AM
This was already posted. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70777

Steelerindc
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I know you think that Rod is a traitor and some don't think he'll be a good coach. Well I have to say that the Steelers sure didn't put there foot forward in offering him a job and based how are DB's played this year we could use a HOF player to coach these guys.

Whether he's a good coach or not that remains to be seen, but anything has to be better than what we had.

FanSince72
02-15-2011, 08:24 AM
damn it. i wanted woodson to coach our db's

Screw that! I'd rather have him BE one of our DB's!