PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Change

Suitanim
05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Thinking about how the FO of the Titans overruled Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow and selected Vince Young instead of Matt Leinart, I'm thinking that Fisher's days in Tennessee may be numbered. We've seen these same kinds of power struggles in Pittsburgh between Donahoe and Cowher, and someone had to go. The ownership of the Titans wanted Young, and the coaches wanted Leinart, so...

Considering that Mike Holmgren is almost day-to-day on whether he wants to coach in the NFL or not, I'd not be shocked to see Jeff Fisher in as HC of the Seahawks in a year or two.

tony hipchest
05-09-2006, 10:09 PM
holmgren is set to make $7 mil/year on an extension. despite his wifes and childrens out of country ventures it will be hard for him to leave that on the table, especially since he no longer has gm duties.

fisher is in the same boat cowher was several years ago. if he gets fired, he will have his choice of any head coaching jop open. although it would be stupid to fire him, how the steelers preform next year could affect several teams owners firing the current regimes to roll the dice on proven winners. (whisenhunt, grimm)

coachspeak33
05-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Here are a few thoughts on the HC situation in Pittsburgh:
- Bill Cowher will NOT coach another NFL football team
- It is possible that he could retire sooner than many think
- Dont read too much into the Whiz turning down Oakland cause that is a coaches graveyard... nobody in their right mind wants to work under Al Davis as a HC.... PERIOD.... you know who goes to Oakland to be a HC????? Desperate people hanging on at the end of their career or a guy who just wants an opportunity to gety his foot in the HC'ing door
- Russ Grimm and Whiz give us two "in house" candidates to replace Billy
- **** L. will stay as Steelers D coordinator for a long while... HC'ing during the old days in Cincy are enough to make anyone swear off coaching forever...HA HA
- All of the NC house talk is a bit unsettling but I trust that the Steelers FO will be the first informed by Cowher if he indeed plans on retiring sooner than expected... in fact they have probably had a conversation or two about it since the Super Bowl. You dont become the NFL's most stable franchise without a little planning.
- I think there is a good possibility that we could lose one of those two (Whiz or Grimm) within a season or two
- I dont think we will lose both of them... the rooneys wouldnt let that happen... especially when you consider what some other franchises are doing by generously paying assistants to keep them within their programs.

If I were Whiz or Grimm I wouldnt move a muscle... think about it... HC in Pittsburgh right now means the Rooney's above you, a borderline HOFer at D coordinator, a talented and deep roster led by the youngest QB in history to win a super bowl & the best fans in the world...... but lets just hope that Cowher realizes this and stays for another 15 years.

Suitanim
05-10-2006, 08:19 AM
holmgren is set to make $7 mil/year on an extension. despite his wifes and childrens out of country ventures it will be hard for him to leave that on the table, especially since he no longer has gm duties.

fisher is in the same boat cowher was several years ago. if he gets fired, he will have his choice of any head coaching jop open. although it would be stupid to fire him, how the steelers preform next year could affect several teams owners firing the current regimes to roll the dice on proven winners. (whisenhunt, grimm)

I'm thinking 2007...

clevestinks
05-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I think Fisher will be a coordinator somewhere eventually, I think for what its worth, that he is a bit over rated!

Ambridge
05-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Titans owner Bud Adams has been openly critical of Fisher in the last couple of seasons so I think Fisher could be gone sooner than later.
Tennessee has been in salary cap jail the past few years which has probably bought Fisher some extra time but I think if the Titans don't show definate signs of improvement that Fisher could be gone after '06.