PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians will Remain Offensive Coordinator

Merchant
02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/Steelers/teamreport/67067

..."Mike Tomlin has decided to keep both of his coordinators but must find a replacement for secondary coach Ray Horton, hired by Arizona as the Cardinals' defensive coordinator."...

-----------------

Can't say I'm upset with the decision. I thought Brucey had a solid season.

Fire Arians
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
he did a good job developing the young receivers. i hope tomlin takes charge of some of the situational playcalls though, because that's BA's weakness.

all things considered he did have a better season than his previous 2, but still underachieved considering the talent we have on O.

****, who am I kidding, he sucks and this offseason is already off to a bad start

austinfrench76
02-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Damn! Would have loved to see an upgrade at OC! Here's to another year of mis managed 3rd down attempts.

PhantomJB93
02-14-2011, 10:47 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

mesaSteeler
02-14-2011, 10:49 PM
All hope is not yet lost.

Tomlin may want to keep the Inflexible Idiot, Airhead Arians but Dan Rooney may have other ideas. I'll grant that it's a faint hope but there is still hope that sanity will prevail and the Airhead will be gone. Also these are still only media reports from the same media that reported first that Dick Lebau and then Horton were going to the Arizona. I'll wait until we get an official announcement from the Steelers about keeping the moronic fool before I smash my head through the wall in frustration.

PhantomJB93
02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Firing him in the middle of a contract is one thing, but if I'm not mistaken his contract is up. Resigning him to a NEW, multiyear contract would be utterly assinine.

Merchant
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Damn! Would have loved to see an upgrade at OC! Here's to another year of mis managed 3rd down attempts.

No idea what you are talking about. Our offense was fantastic on 3rd downs this year.

SteelCityMom
02-14-2011, 11:01 PM
All hope is not yet lost.

Tomlin may want to keep the Inflexible Idiot, Airhead Arians but Dan Rooney may have other ideas. I'll grant that it's a faint hope but there is still hope that sanity will prevail and the Airhead will be gone. Also these are still only media reports from the same media that reported first that Dick Lebau and then Horton were going to the Arizona. I'll wait until we get an official announcement from the Steelers about keeping the moronic fool before I smash my head through the wall in frustration.

Agreed. Tomlin doesn't extend or resign contracts, the Rooneys do. They'll have the final say in it!

I don't loathe Bruce as much as some others do, but I think it's time for a change.

GameTime55
02-14-2011, 11:07 PM
It would definitely delight me to no end if they made a change AND got better.

ie: a OC with a track record of proven success. Where does it leave us or what does it do for our anticipated success with the players in place if we go with a young unproven position coach who is getting his first shot?

tony hipchest
02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
this article was posted yesterday.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70766

but i guees this can stand as its own topic. i was pretty certain he would remain regarless the outcome of the SB. he accomplished some things this year that were asked of him... primarilly not being afreid to run on 3rd and 1.

i hope one of the conditions of him getting a new contract is a gag order, cause lets face it.... he's a jackass and dumbasserey flows out of his mouth any time he opens it.

he doesnt attack a teams weakness? really???

pull your head out of your rectum bruce. :dang:

dez09231
02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Arians is fine calling run plays, but even Ben is better calling pass plays. . . hence Ben's rating skyrocketing in the no-huddle.

We could do worse than Arians, but he makes some bonehead calls sometimes.

CargoJon
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
As long as Ben audibles out of the idiotic plays, we'll be OK, even with Bruce Aeriola roaming the sidelines.

SH-Rock
02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
As long as Ben audibles out of the idiotic plays, we'll be OK, even with Bruce Aeriola roaming the sidelines.

We could just have Ben call all the plays.

StainlessStill
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
I've always said owners and their respected run franchise's fail only because their patience runs too thin too early.

With that said, there's a side of me that likes the fact that Arians will be roaming for continuity issues and having a chance to have a healthy offense for once but the other, panicky side says we need to start fresh with a new set stack of philosophy and circumstance.

Not defending him because he can call some wacky plays at crucial times, but I want to see what Arians can do with a healthy offensive line that I'm sure can benefit the situational garbage. We'll see.

BGSU A Dub
02-15-2011, 02:12 AM
Sometimes what BA calls is more predictable than the sunrise but playcalling is only a small piece of the puzzle. Sure it puts a scheme of players on the field, but it comes down to the quarterback assessing the situation and audibling if need be. Another huge component of offense is execution. You can call the best plays in the world but if you have Kyle Boller as a QB, it won't matter.

ricardisimo
02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
I will be shocked if the Rooneys or Colbert undermine Tomlin in this regard. I'd like nothing more, as I think the Bruce Arians experiment has pretty much run its course. But I just don't see it happening. If they didn't want him back they could have and would have signaled it at some point, and I don't think they have.

The flip side to this is that I don't see Tomlin making such a statement without knowing beforehand that he was standing on solid ground.

Jeezus H. Christ... another full year of bubble screens and poorly designed, awkwardly timed, drive-killing gadget plays. Uggh.

Buddha Bus
02-15-2011, 03:51 AM
Simply mind-boggling. :huh: :headshake: :shootme:

theplatypus
02-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure which is going to give me the bigger headache, a couple bubble screens or the people here crying about Arians.

4xSBChamps
02-15-2011, 08:24 AM
... another full year of bubble screens and poorly designed, awkwardly timed, drive-killing gadget plays...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/movies/PhilConnorswithtoasterinbathtub.jpg

TRH
02-15-2011, 09:08 AM
and another year of being able to call the plays from your OWN living room couch BEFORE the ball is even snapped! Awesome!! (but i'm sure we'll "fake out" the opposing teams though...they're 'dumb' and would never be able to figure them out!)

FanSince72
02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Agreed. Tomlin doesn't extend or resign contracts, the Rooneys do. They'll have the final say in it!

I don't loathe Bruce as much as some others do, but I think it's time for a change.

That's pretty much the way I see him.

I don't hate him (I don't hate anybody), but I think the experiment is over, it had lukewarm results and maybe it's time to try another approach.

Of course in his defense, a non-injured O-line and some receivers with more experience wouldn't hurt either. In fact on THAT note, maybe we should be looking at getting rid of some conditioning coaches and / or trainers because we seem to get way too banged up year in and year out and not just dings but season-ending injuries.

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Getting to the Super Bowl saved Arians job - Cowher canned Ron Erhardt after losing SB XXX but Cowher was afraid Gailey would leave if he was not promoted to oordinator - nobody is pounding down teh door to hire away the coaches for the Steelers middle of the pack offense

Even if there is a change Tomlin apparently intends to promote from within and select QB coach (moved from WR coach after 21010 season) Randy Fichtner if Arians ever does leave - not exactly the winds of change there

Given that Roethlisberger's throwing mechanics were a mess in the playoffs (may be due to problems with his foot) after #7 raved about being coached up on his nechanics by a non-Steelers coch during his September suspension losing Arians and promoting Fichtner might not be much of a fix

kirklandrules
02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Dear Santa,

Since the Steelers are keeping their Offensive Coordinator, please make Bruce Arians understand the value of a fullback. If you do this, I promise to be a good boy this year! If you don't do this, I'll be eating your reindeer slathered with a very creamy gravy.

Thank you!

Steeler Fan

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
http://mark-hayward.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/frustration-thumb.jpg

http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/frustration.jpg

Fire Arians
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
hopefully some team is stupid enough to offer him a HC job he can't refuse. this is our only chance now.

MACH1
02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Until he ink's that new contract he ain't back yet.

Dino 6 Rings
02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
as a true NBBFer, (not big bruce fan) I hope he just keeps things balanced and we continue to work on all aspects of our offense, including the passing and running game equally.

no getting greedy.

harrison'samonster
02-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I've always said owners and their respected run franchise's fail only because their patience runs too thin too early.

With that said, there's a side of me that likes the fact that Arians will be roaming for continuity issues and having a chance to have a healthy offense for once but the other, panicky side says we need to start fresh with a new set stack of philosophy and circumstance.

Not defending him because he can call some wacky plays at crucial times, but I want to see what Arians can do with a healthy offensive line that I'm sure can benefit the situational garbage. We'll see.

I completely agree. Even though the Steelers were good enough to get to the superbowl this year, I don't think the team ever got a chance to really peak.

I would like to see what the offense can do with Ben, the healthy O-line, and the young recievers playing together the whole season before I would want to get rid of Arians.

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 03:26 PM
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k346/Neanderthalis/homer-simpson-doh.jpg

ebsteelers
02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
no worries im gonna be the oc the year after.. ill have fans write in plays on my twitter page as the game goes on... might do the same or better than brucie bruce

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G

LeBeau and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians were each told last week by Coach Mike Tomlin that he wanted them to return in 2011. Arians, who was in the final year of a two-year contract, is out of town and has not signed a new contract, either.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

Hopefully Arians is waiting to see what LeBeau gets paid next year and will come in and demand a higher number than LeBeau with multiple years guaranteed that prices him out of the Steelers range.

At this point that is my only hope :chuckle:

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Doesnt look good Dan.......lol

tony hipchest
02-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Hopefully Arians is waiting to see what LeBeau gets paid next year and will come in and demand a higher number than LeBeau with multiple years guaranteed that prices him out of the Steelers range.

At this point that is my only hope :chuckle:it could happen. then he will issue a statement to the press saying "Mr. Rooney didnt tell me to run the ball more efficiently, he said he was going to give me more money."

LVSteelersfan
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM

LeBeau and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians were each told last week by Coach Mike Tomlin that he wanted them to return in 2011. Arians, who was in the final year of a two-year contract, is out of town and has not signed a new contract, either.

Maybe he won't be able to find his way back into town because his head is stuck too far up and he can't see. I knew he was going to be brought back when we went 12-4 last year. The only problem is that he won't have anyone to coach because the lockout is going to happen and there is very little likelihood of a season next year.

Fire Arians
02-15-2011, 09:19 PM

hopefully arians is in arizona right now talking to whizenhunt for a job interview

4xSBChamps
02-15-2011, 09:25 PM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/movies/PrincessLeai.jpg

HELP-ME, Obi-Wan Kenobi!!!

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
WOW she's huge.......:rofl:

tony hipchest
02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
on a lighter note does anyone here remember last year when it was reported that arians was gonna be fired, and the admin's and apologist's assholes puckered up tighter than a snare drum?

it was said that there would be absolutely no gloating, celebrating, or even starting an arians thread (under threat of deletion) and anyone who made any of the arians apologists feel sensitive or sniffle, they would be banned.

:toofunny: ...oh, how far we have evolved.

in light of this news (if one can really call it that, since we havent heard shit from art II), i would say all bashing, or celebration (or expressing whatever it may be the fans are feeling) is welcome.

4xSBChamps
02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
on a lighter note does anyone here remember last year when it was reported that arians was gonna be fired, and the admin's and apologist's assholes puckered up tighter than a snare drum?

... do you mean like when I qouted newbs' posts, complete with their vulgarity that supported him staying-on as OC, only to have my posts deleted by a Moderator because I used 'bad-language'...

... while the original posts remained???

... no... I don't remember that at-all...

Fire Arians
02-15-2011, 11:31 PM

it was said that there would be absolutely no gloating, celebrating, or even starting an arians thread (under threat of deletion) and anyone who made any of the arians apologists feel sensitive or sniffle, they would be banned.

in light of this news (if one can really call it that, since we havent heard shit from art II), i would say all bashing, or celebration (or expressing whatever it may be the fans are feeling) is welcome.

evolved indeed, we even have a thread devoted to wishing arians gets fired, that gets stickied by a mod :chuckle:

tony hipchest
02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
... while the original posts remained???

... no... I don't remember that at-all...

:doh:

oh snap! i totally forgot about that. yeah, that was ****ed up....

their heads were scrambling at that time and they all showed a complete lack of judgement.

i guess between a democrat being elected president and arians near firing, this board was overdue for a meltdown and exodus... :chuckle:

tony hipchest
02-15-2011, 11:45 PM
evolved indeed, we even have a thread devoted to wishing arians gets fired, that gets stickied by a mod :chuckle:im glad you mention that, because stickying that thread was actually the quickest, easiest, and simplest way to solve a (one time) HUGELY overblown, perceived "problem", and satisfy all members who wished to have a voice.

(you can thank us for the blood, sweat, and tears it took to make that happen, later. :chuckle:)

if that simple solution woulda been used a year ago, im sure this board wouldnt have alienated hundereds of members, lurkers, readers, and potential posters as it did.

:helmet:

4xSBChamps
02-15-2011, 11:53 PM
im glad you mention that, because stickying that thread was actually the quickest, easiest, and simplest way to solve a (one time) HUGELY overblown, perceived "problem", and satisfy all members who wished to have a voice.

(you can thank us for the blood, sweat, and tears it took to make that happen, later. :chuckle:)

if that simple solution woulda been used a year ago, im sure this board wouldnt have alienated hundereds of members, lurkers, readers, and potential posters as it did.

"... vhe muzt AHL konfuhrm...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/ColonelKlink.jpg

... lest vhe loze our individuality, ja-vohl?"

Wallace108
02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
This is great news. Now I can continue to impress my friends with my "vast football knowledge" by predicting the play calls. :doh:

MACH1
02-16-2011, 12:59 AM

Hater.

:chuckle:

SteelMusic
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this lately? I'm curious to see if the Rooneys will be willing to extend his contract. It seems strange that they haven't locked him in if they really do plan on keeping him. God, I hope not!

StainlessStill
02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm eager to see what Arians can do with a full, healthy team. Hopefully no suspensions and no key members of the offensive line going down as soon as Week 1 or 2! This NEEDS to be a breakout year for the offense. No excuses.

tanda10506
02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't know if I can take another year of him. When the team gets outplayed (which is rare) and lose a game I can live with it, but seeing them throw away opportunities over and over again because of Arians is unbareable. It literally makes it hard to watch the game.

Atlanta Dan
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this lately? I'm curious to see if the Rooneys will be willing to extend his contract. It seems strange that they haven't locked him in if they really do plan on keeping him. God, I hope not!

According to this comment by Tomlin in teh P-G this afternoon it appears Arians is coming back

The coach added that he expects his entire staff to return except for Ray Horton, who took a job at the defensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. Tomlin said he is in no rush to hire a new secondary coach to replace Horton.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11052/1126982-66.stm

Steelers>NFL
02-22-2011, 08:34 AM

This and then some! :banging::mad::banging::mad:

vasteeler
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
i am one of bruces biggest fans(apologist if you will). i think bruce had a great year, if the offense could have executed a little better i think some of you wouldnt feel the way you feel now. of course he had some head scratchers but what oc didnt?

to all the ba haters.......who do you want and why?

not trying to cause trouble, just curious

steelerchad
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
i am one of bruces biggest fans(apologist if you will). i think bruce had a great year, if the offense could have executed a little better i think some of you wouldnt feel the way you feel now. of course he had some head scratchers but what oc didnt?

I thought Shottenheimer called a great game against us in the Jets game in December. They mixed in enough run and the naked boot on 4th and 1 at the 6 totally fooled our D. But what happened in January makes you realize that it's more about execution. You're not going to fool your opponent every time.

I thought Bruce had a better year this year and I can't really remember feeling like he cost us any games in 2010. If I had to complain about something, I think he abandones the run too quickly sometimes. Even the SB, I know we were down big, but GB showed no signs of being able to stop the run.

The biggest complaint I've had in his tenure was the 10 degree, 30 mph wind game in December of 09, where Bruce decided to air it out 40 times in a 13-6 loss. We were so much better than Cleveland I think we out physical them and win if we would have ran the ball on every play and just played defense. We allowed Cleveland to compete with us in that game by just not lining up and beating them. Bruce outsmarted himself in this game.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we have a better chance with Bruce in 2011 of getting back to the SB than if we started over with someone else. We've made 2 trips to the big game in 3 years. Let's stay consistent. When the time comes to rebuild this team, and that time is coming in the next few years, then make the change at OC.

saveus1011
02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Here's all I have to say...

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

MasterOfPuppets
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM

so who should get the blame when your guys fail to execute on a regular basis ?
in the real world , when employees under achieve or consistently fall short of goals , its management that usually takes the hit.
is the coaches not responsible for preparing the team so they know how to properly execute ? have not most of these guys been practicing arians play book for a few years ?
isn't the reason coaches usually get fired because the players under achieve because they fail to execute ? :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Our favorite offensive coordinator apparently has not yet signed a new one year contract and has been "excused" from attending the combine

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians still has not signed a contract to return in 2011, but, from all indications, he intends to do so.

Like defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, Arians, though, will sign only a one-year deal with the Steelers.

Arians has been out of town since shortly after the Super Bowl and has been excused from attending the NFL combine here in Indianapolis.

Coach Mike Tomlin said earlier this week that he expects all his coaches to return in 2011, except Ray Horton, who accepted a job as defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108288-gerry-arians-not-at-combine

WTF? It would appear he actually is holding out because terms of new deal cannot be reached. Amazing he has not been told this is it - sign or say goodbye.

tony hipchest
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Our favorite offensive coordinator apparently has not yet signed a new one year contract and has been "excused" from attending the combine

i think this means we will not be spending one of our top 4 picks to get the tall 6'4" WR ben covets.

"sorry bruce, you dont make the most of all the weapons we give you as it is- no soup for you."

i bet sean kugler is going to the combine.

bruce and the other steelers coaches should feel lucky. if there is a lockout, many teams are gonna reduce their salaries by 25% and in some cases 50% depending on how long it lasts.

steelers are not one of these teams and will pay all coaches their full salaries.

MACH1
02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Amazing he has not been told this is it - sign or say goodbye.

Hopefully it's this. :buttkick: :wave:

mesaSteeler
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers

Feb. 24, 2011 9:34 a.m. - Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians isn’t at the combine with the rest of the Steelers’ contingent and remains unsigned to return in 2011. But the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that he intends to sign a one-year contract. He apparently was excused from attending the combine. Steelers RapidReports

How the hell can an OC MISS the combine? - mesa

MasterOfPuppets
02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
it's probably a good thing . we might end up with 3 more Hbacks on the roster. ...:doh:

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
How the hell can an OC MISS the combine? - mesa

Agreed - that is inexcusable to me unless Arians has some personal or family related health issue

There may be something going on here regarding probems with his contract negotiations but I recognize that is wishful thinking on my part - since Tomlin apparently intends to promote from within it would not be too disruptive if the Steelers get around to cutting Bruce loose

Like a number of teams the Steelers appear to be hanging back waiting to see what hapens with the CBA negotiations before addressing a number of issues

mesaSteeler
02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
it's probably a good thing . we might end up with 3 more Hbacks on the roster. ...:doh:

Well in Airhead's world; Two halfbacks = 1 Fullback.

tony hipchest
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
it's probably a good thing .

absolutely. the combine is one of the most heavilly media covered events of the season. i think i heard 450+ media members will be in attendance.

with arians being prone to open his mouth and have the inevitable pile of bullshit fall out of his mouth, i think management just felt it best to shut him down and out.

its interviews at the past 4 combines where he dropped these gems on us-

"my offense dont need no stinkin fullback"

"my offense relies heavilly on the 3 TE set, especially in the redzone where we can keep our opponents guessing."

"i want an offense that can morph into any style of offense on any given week , whether it be 3TE and smashmouth or a 5 WR spread like the new england patriots."

"im gonna bring back the pony backfield to the NFL".

"art rooney didnt really mean that he wanted us to run the ball more, just more effectively or efficiently or whatever the **** the exact word he used was".

on the flipside is kevin colbert who always says the right thing to the media and in an interview today had high praise for the job tomlin did this season maintaining the standard and said kugler did a great job of making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

no mention of bruce. :noidea:

Steelers>NFL
02-24-2011, 04:54 PM
absolutely. the combine is one of the most heavilly media covered events of the season. i think i heard 450+ media members will be in attendance.

with arians being prone to open his mouth and have the inevitable pile of bullshit fall out of his mouth, i think management just felt it best to shut him down and out.

its interviews at the past 4 combines where he dropped these gems on us-

"my offense dont need no stinkin fullback"

"my offense relies heavilly on the 3 TE set, especially in the redzone where we can keep our opponents guessing."

"i want an offense that can morph into any style of offense on any given week , whether it be 3TE and smashmouth or a 5 WR spread like the new england patriots."

"im gonna bring back the pony backfield to the NFL".

"art rooney didnt really mean that he wanted us to run the ball more, just more effectively or efficiently or whatever the **** the exact word he used was".

on the flipside is kevin colbert who always says the right thing to the media and in an interview today had high praise for the job tomlin did this season maintaining the standard and said kugler did a great job of making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

no mention of bruce. :noidea:

I think of all coaches, Kugler did the BEST job! Period.
Not to take nothing away from Tomlin, but his job was fairly easy.

4xSBChamps
02-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Well in Airhead's world; Two halfbacks = 1 Fullback.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/funny%20pictures/TinFoilHatCat.jpg

mesaSteeler
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Steelers OC Arians will sign one-year deal to stay in Pittsburgh
* By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e79072/article/steelers-oc-arians-will-sign-oneyear-deal-to-stay-in-pittsburgh

Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:19 p.m

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is set to re-sign with Pittsburgh Steelers for one more year, according to a league source.

Arians, a Steelers assistant since 2004 and offensive coordinator the last four seasons, has an expiring contract. He had been mulling retirement, much like Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Arians will re-sign with Pittsburgh for another year, according to the source, as LeBeau has done this offseason. Those moves will ensure that the crux of coach Mike Tomlin's staff is in place for the 2011 season, though the team will likely be looking for new coordinators in 2012. (Why wait? Replace the Airhead now so as not to waste a year. -mesa)

The Steelers are currently without a secondary coach after Ray Horton left to become offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. The Steelers often promote from within, with linebackers coach Keith Butler, for instance, the defensive coordinator in waiting.

(Why only one year? That is assuming that the toilet sniffer La Canfora's "source" is correct. LeBeau I can understand being only on a one year contract due to his age. However only one year for the Airhead? What sense does that make if he's any good? If the Airhead is not any good, and anyone who has one functioning brain cells knows he isn't, then why bring him back at all? This does not make any sense. Most OC and DC are on multiyear contracts. Horton signed a 3 year contract with the Cardinals. Something about this doesn't smell right. I suspect La Canfora "source" is none other than the known Airhead worshiper Bob Smizik of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. - mesa)

steelax04
02-25-2011, 03:34 PM
The only thing I can say here is that with the unpredictable off-season, it's probably in the Steelers' best interest to keep Arians one more year. If the players are locked out for whatever amount of time along with a new OC coming into town, that could turn out to be even worse than keeping him one more season.

So in my mind it comes down to which is more of a risk... unknown lockout timeline and new OC or Arians for one more year?

theplatypus
02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I can't believe the stupidity of the front office on this OC situation. It's clear to everyone but them that are offense is at the bottom of the league and if it wasn't for the Defense we wouldn't even sniff the playoffs let alone the SB.

tony hipchest
02-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I can't believe the stupidity of the front office on this OC situation. It's clear to everyone but them that are offense is at the bottom of the league .

they were 14th in total offense, 12th in points scored, and 11th in rushing. while we have the talent to do better (assuming a healthy offensive line) those numbers are FAR from "the bottom of the league".

clevestinks
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Hate Arains! Offense flows so much better in No huddle when BA isnt calling the plays,.

mesaSteeler
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
they were 14th in total offense, 12th in points scored, and 11th in rushing. while we have the talent to do better (assuming a healthy offensive line) those numbers are FAR from "the bottom of the league".

You are correct that 14th is not the bottom of the league however as Tomlin says "The Standard is the Standard".

Why are we settling for 14th place? Is that the new standard? I guess Tomlin's "standards" don't apply to his coaches and apply only to his players. I find it very difficult to believe that with our offensive weapons and QB that another OC, or even a lobotomized monkey, could not do better than 14th.

theplatypus
02-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Where's that sarcasm smiley again?

theplatypus
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
You are correct that 14th is not the bottom of the league however as Tomlin says "The Standard is the Standard".

Why are we settling for 14th place? Is that the new standard? I guess Tomlin's "standards" don't apply to his coaches and apply only to his players. I find it very difficult to believe that with our offensive weapons and QB that another OC, or even a lobotomized monkey, could not do better than 14th.

No one is settling for 14th. But you seem to forget or refuse to acknowledge that we had a rookie starting at WR, QB suspended 4 games, both starting tackles lost for the season. All of those things are going top have a negative affect no matter how you slice it. 14th in the league is nothing to jump for joy over, however, all things considered our offense was more than acceptable. I would be surprised if we don't see significant strides next season(assuming that we miss the injury bug).

mesaSteeler
02-26-2011, 09:05 AM
No one is settling for 14th. But you seem to forget or refuse to acknowledge that we had a rookie starting at WR, QB suspended 4 games, both starting tackles lost for the season. All of those things are going top have a negative affect no matter how you slice it. 14th in the league is nothing to jump for joy over, however, all things considered our offense was more than acceptable. I would be surprised if we don't see significant strides next season(assuming that we miss the injury bug).

If the Airhead is wonderful then why only the one year contract?

theplatypus
02-26-2011, 09:16 AM

It couldn't have anything to do with him being 60 and a cancer survivor.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Hater.

Yup, he's just Scapegoating again.

mesaSteeler
02-26-2011, 10:05 AM
It couldn't have anything to do with him being 60 and a cancer survivor.

That doesn't cut it with me. I'm 55 and last year I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma and had to have a radical nephrectomy (kidney removal). I won't be classified as a cancer survivor for at least four more years. If my cancer does return, and it has a 20% chance of doing so, then my mean time of survival is around 25 months.

If his heath is an issue he should not be working at all since his next step after prostate cancer surgery (which he has had) would most likely be chemo or radiation. Both treatments are debilitating and he would not be able to work the long hours necessary for an OC. It's what I will have to face if my cancer returns.

Airans is just not that good of an OC to be offered more than one year. Certainly no one else seems to want him which is a telling point since Super Bowl winning coordinators are usually mentioned as possible as head coaches. Arians name has never seriously surfaced in that discussion for any team that i am aware of. To my knowledge Arians has never been interviewed for an HC position.

The only reason I can see Arians even getting a one year offer is because of the uncertainly over CBA. Of course if there is no lockout and we win the Super Bowl then we might have to replace both the OC and DC next year and wouldn't that be lovely?

theplatypus
02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
That doesn't cut it with me. I'm 55 and last year I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma and had to have a radical nephrectomy (kidney removal). I won't be classified as a cancer survivor for at least four more years. If my cancer does return, and it has a 20% chance of doing so, then my mean time of survival is around 25 months.

If his heath is an issue he should not be working at all since his next step after prostate cancer surgery (which he has had) would most likely be chemo or radiation. Both treatments are debilitating and he would not be able to work the long hours necessary for an OC. It's what I will have to face if my cancer returns.

Airans is just not that good of an OC to be offered more than one year. Certainly no one else seems to want him which is a telling point since Super Bowl winning coordinators are usually mentioned as possible as head coaches. Arians name has never seriously surfaced in that discussion for any team that i am aware of. To my knowledge Arians has never been interviewed for an HC position.

The only reason I can see Arians even getting a one year offer is because of the uncertainly over CBA. Of course if there is no lockout and we win the Super Bowl then we might have to replace both the OC and DC next year and wouldn't that be lovely?

Mesa, truly sorry to hear about your medical issues. I hope everything works out.

With regards to Arians, you've made it abundantly clear that no matter what is said you hate Arians and nothing will ever change that. We could win our 7th,8th, and 9th Superbowls with Arians and you will find some reason to discredit him. My only hope is that when he is replaced that the replacement truly will be an improvemnt and you'll finally find some closure and peace of mind. :drink::tt03:

MACH1
02-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Why are all these other teams trying to steal him away?

:toofunny:

GameTime55
02-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Hey Mesa.. the first thing I will say here is that Im sorry to hear about this. I too hope everthing works out.

as for Arians..Im kinda torn on what perspective I want to choose on this.. theres something "weird" going on perhaps.

"If it looks like cheese, smells like cheese ..it must be cheese."
The question for me is "why" is there a lot of cheese flying around here( Pitt organization)......because obviously a one year deal imho is telling me that that it will be" Adios" to BA-- and yes due to all the cheeeeeese.

So to me it seems weird that it is only a one year deal.. Just my two cents.

:coffee:

tony hipchest
02-27-2011, 12:49 PM
"If it looks like cheese, smells like cheese ..it must be cheese."
The question for me is "why" is there a lot of cheese flying around here( Pitt organization)......:coffee:

ben likes him some cheese.

tony hipchest
03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
its official. arians signed his 1 year deal today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11061/1129106-100.stm

no dollar figures were disclosed but early reports is that it was a very favorable deal with him only having to pay the rooneys $250,000.

mesaSteeler
03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
its official. arians signed his 1 year deal today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11061/1129106-100.stm

no dollar figures were disclosed but early reports is that it was a very favorable deal with him only having to pay the rooneys $250,000.
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: - as to your comment.

On the Airhead returning - :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging::bang ing:

mesaSteeler
03-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Bruce Arians Is Back: How Do You Grade His Performance In 2010?
Posted on March 2, 2011 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/bruce-arians/

In news that is more than a little anticlimactic when compared to last year’s reports that he would be fired, only to end being retained, Bruce Arians will return for another season as Steelers offensive coordinator.

Outside of starting quarterbacks and head coaches, there’s probably not another job in the NFL that carries as much scrutiny and criticism as offensive coordinator, and Arians is certainly no stranger to any of it (I mean, when you have message boards and Facebook pages devoted to your hopeful firing, you know the seat is always going to be a little warm).

It’s a little hard to believe that Arians has been with the Steelers since 2004 serving as a wide receiver coach for three years before taking over as offensive coordinator when Ken Whisenhunt took the head coaching job in Arizona. In his four years in charge of the Steelers offense they’ve finished 9th, 20th, 12th and 12th respectively in points, and while he always seems to have a large target on his back for fan outrage and anger, there seemed to be less criticism directed his way this year. Given that the Steelers went 3-1 with their third and fourth string quarterbacks and went most of the season with what was the definition of a patchwork offensive line, it’s understandable as to why there may have been less criticism.

That said, how do you grade his performance in 2010, and are you happy he’s returning for another season?

(Airhead is a perfect example of the Peter Principle; "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".- mesa)

4xSBChamps
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
On the Airhead returning

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/movies/LloydBridges-badweektoquitsniffingglue.jpg

mesaSteeler
03-02-2011, 10:32 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/movies/LloydBridges-badweektoquitsniffingglue.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny: Excellent choice from Airplane!

Steve McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

Steve McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

Steve McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Steve McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines

see link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeI5ke0BENw&feature=related