PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau to sign deal to stay as Steelers' defensive coordinator

SH-Rock
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://post-gazette.com/pg/11046/1125590-100.stm

Dick LeBeau spent the weekend playing golf in North Carolina, not mulling his future with the Steelers or any other NFL team.

After all, there was nothing to mull.

"I'm not coaching anywhere but here," LeBeau said today after returning from four days off to start getting ready for the NFL combine that begins Feb. 23 in Indianapolis.

The Steelers want LeBeau, 72, back as their defensive coordinator and he intends to sign a new one-year deal any day now to return as the leader of a defense that ranked No. 2 overall and No. 1 against the run in the National Football League in 2010.

Signing a one-year contract is nothing new for LeBeau: He has done that every year with the Steelers since returning for his second stint as defensive coordinator in 2004. And that is his choice, not the Steelers, who typically sign all their assistant coaches to two-year contracts.

pete74
02-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Long-time defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will remain in Pittsburgh and sign a one-year deal, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

LeBeau's contract expired after the season and there were rumors the Hall of Famer leaving the Steelers, possibly to Arizona. Instead, his assistant, Ray Horton, took the Cardinals' defensive coordinator job.

LeBeau, 72, put any rumors of being done with the Steelers to rest Tuesday, telling the paper, "I'm not coaching anywhere but here."

The Steelers finished the 2010 season second in the league in total defense and first against the run, boasting one of the best run defenses in league history.

The way we see it

This does not come as a huge surprise, although LeBeau reportedly took the weekend to decide whether or not he wanted to return. He is one of the greatest defensive minds in the game, and linebackers coach Keith Butler still appears to be LeBeau's successor.

Merchant
02-15-2011, 05:12 PM
No surprise here. If he left, bad things would happen to inanimate objects in my house.

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/bperry1397/Comics%20and%20cartoons/Woo-hoo.jpg

bubbletownwr88
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
is it just me but is Lebeau's defense getting a bit predictable i mean if i can tell what he's gonna run right after the previous play i'm pretty sure the other team can. I'm not saying he should leave because he's a great coach, but switch it up a little.

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
is it just me but is Lebeau's defense getting a bit predictable i mean if i can tell what he's gonna run right after the previous play i'm pretty sure the other team can. I'm not saying he should leave because he's a great coach, but switch it up a little.

You may think that way but lets not forget, Dick had Troy playin deep to help with coverage for Gay an Mcffaden.....at least thats how i see it....

Merchant
02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

You mean the defense that finishes in the Top 3 season after season?

SH-Rock
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
You mean the defense that finishes in the Top 3 season after season?

I think we're being too predictable with our consistency. Should be dropping to 15th every other year :doh:

FanSince72
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Stale is more like it.

I don't know about anyone else but I for one am getting a little tired of watching even half-assed passing teams convert 3rd and 8's into 1st downs more often than not.

Sure, LeBeau's defense looks great against non-West Coast or poor passing teams which thankfully are still most of the teams out there. But good passing teams with West Coast offenses like New England, New Orleans, Green Bay and even the Jets ate our lunch this year and that has to stop otherwise every team in the league will just set up in 4 and 5 receiver sets and walk us down the field.

Le Beau needs to wake up and realize this isn't the good ol' days when all teams used a running game to set up the passing game. These days, offenses are very complex and the either / or approach (run or pass) isn't that simple anymore and just having a bunch of big guys up front isn't going to get it done. We need versatility and we need to be able to adapt to various offenses and stop depending on "zone-blitzes" (which everyone has pretty much figured out) and "run stoppers" to get it done.

I think we need to go in the direction of less bulk and more quickness overall and try to become more adaptable instead of trying to "impose our will" on everyone with overly complicated blitz packages which won't work if the QB gets rid of the ball before anyone gets to him, which has become the simple formula for beating our front seven.

I think everyone needs to stop looking at LeBeau like he's some kind of god and start realizing that he's got some work to do to get this defense ready to play in ALL situations, not just the ones we're good at.

(OK, I've said my piece --- flame away!)

SH-Rock
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
We only have Ike as a pro CB. Everyone else is way below average. Troy is a double edged sword and Ryan is starting to slow down. You want Lebeau to play for them?

TRH
02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
well.....thats good news....although its not going to be a casual year.....he has alot of focus work to do in the D-backfield and attacking passing schemes. Definitely has his work cut out for him.

stb_steeler
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Personaly i think Dick knows about all the situations he needs to address. But its not all on his shoulders. Did you ever hear him on sound bites always tellin the D, lets finish it now keep on them. Maybe its those who dont execute his plans. We'll have to ask dick himself when we get a chance.....

Merchant
02-15-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't think it's fair to blame the success of westcoast-offense type teams against our defense on Lebeau's scheme.

Here is the golden question... Is it the scheme to blame? or is it the execution of the players? Well when your best corners behind Ike are Gay and McFadden.. I'm gonna go ahead and take a wild guess and say that the players should absorb a portion of the blame as well.

steeltheone
02-16-2011, 03:58 AM
I hope he is not being slowly pushed out for this Butler guy....What has Butler ever done but watch Lebeau?

Curtain_of_Steel
02-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Dick comes up huge again, lol.

Hopefully he see's a need for some changes though. With our schedule I think we can domaiunte through the season, but as we just seen in the SB we were exposed a bit. With the colts an dpats on the schedule lets get over that hump and run the table.

FanSince72
02-16-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't think it's fair to blame the success of westcoast-offense type teams against our defense on Lebeau's scheme.

Here is the golden question... Is it the scheme to blame? or is it the execution of the players? Well when your best corners behind Ike are Gay and McFadden.. I'm gonna go ahead and take a wild guess and say that the players should absorb a portion of the blame as well.

Like anything else, it's not a black and white issue and the answer is that it's a little of both.

It's no secret the we're heavy on "Front Seven" philosophy and our secondary is weak overall. I'm not placing the blame entirely on LeBeau, but let's face it, he has a great influence on what kind of personality our defense has. Certainly it comes down to execution, but if our tendency is to emphasize the front seven, then perhaps we've been neglecting the secondary by default and that neglect leads to poor execution simply because the focus is somewhere else.

Whatever the reason, I don't think anyone could argue that our secondary needs work and that we might need to take a look at our overall approach to defense in a league where passing and pass-based offenses are becoming more common.

Green Bay (and the other West Coast teams) proved that no matter how much talent we can bring to bear in a pass rush, it's all moot if the QB gets rid of the ball before any of our guys can get to him and with five receivers on the field, the chances for completing passes goes up drastically especially since we're committing so much to the pass rush.

If you add in our weak corners, who seem to need safety support more often than not, what's left is a wide-open middle and THAT's where we've been getting killed all year. So to me, the solution lies in having a more developed secondary (with more emphasis on the play of the safeties and CB's) coupled with less "heaviness" in the linebackers in favor of more agility and the ability to cover man-to-man in the short to deep middle instead of just dropping into zones.

Yes, we'd give up a little in the pass rush, but we'd gain much more in our ability to defend against a wider variety of offenses overall and I'll take that over what we have now any day.

kirklandrules
02-16-2011, 03:41 PM
It's no secret the we're heavy on "Front Seven" philosophy and our secondary is weak overall. I'm not placing the blame entirely on LeBeau, but let's face it, he has a great influence on what kind of personality our defense has. Certainly it comes down to execution, but if our tendency is to emphasize the front seven, then perhaps we've been neglecting the secondary by default and that neglect leads to poor execution simply because the focus is somewhere else.

I'm siding with Merchant on this one. Lebeau's zone blitz philosophy is not a "front seven" philosophy. What you are seeing is a d-coordinator working to the strengths of the players he can put on the field. Lebeau's defense can be credited for the initial decline of the West Coast offense that was widely popular in the '80s. He knows what to do, but doesn't always have the players to pull it off. Also, I wouldn't consider Troy roaming around to be part of the "front seven" philosophy. Here's a link that provides a very good summary of how Lebeau's strategy has evolved (and we can assume, will continue to evolve):
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_layden/01/31/zone-blitz/index.html