PDA

View Full Version : Draft a corner.

steelerchad
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
There are 3 o4 projected 1st rounders and none are likely to be there when we pick at #31. Is this the year we make a move up a few spots to grab the last one of these guys? Keep in mind by doing this we would also likely leave the Ravens out in the cold as they are also in the market for a corner early in the draft. I'd love to see us slide a spot or 2 in front of Baltimore and (stealer) their corner.

bornaSteelersfan
02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
To trade up and get a good rookie starter at CB, we would have to give something really good up. We could trade one of our players to make room in the salary cap (depending on what that cap will be) to sign that type of guy. I'm thinking Farrior or Foote. We have some young guys who could step into that role (Worilds or one of quite a few we signed up for off-season). Farrior is getting old and Foote isn't producing like he used to. Plus it would open up around 3 mil for either one from the cap. There are plenty of teams who need a good LB. This is just one scenario, but it is unlikely in The Steelers organization for them to trade up in the first round. We will probably take an OL if one of those CB's aren't there at pick 31.

Fire Arians
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
To trade up and get a good rookie starter at CB, we would have to give something really good up. We could trade one of our players to make room in the salary cap (depending on what that cap will be) to sign that type of guy. I'm thinking Farrior or Foote. We have some young guys who could step into that role (Worilds or one of quite a few we signed up for off-season). Farrior is getting old and Foote isn't producing like he used to. Plus it would open up around 3 mil for either one from the cap. There are plenty of teams who need a good LB. This is just one scenario, but it is unlikely in The Steelers organization for them to trade up in the first round. We will probably take an OL if one of those CB's aren't there at pick 31.

we didn't even start troy in his 1st year. if we draft a cb he won't be a starter in the 1st year barring injury.

i like lebeau, but HATE how he will never play his rookies.

young players NEED game time to grow. emmanuel sanders and antonio brown grew as the season went on because of the game experience. hate to say it but lebeau can learn something from arians here. put some young talent in the secondary.

pete74
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
we wont take a corner in round 1. the top few will be off the board and the steelers are going to pick the best player left. unless jimmy smith slips which i seriously doubt will happen we will take whoever is the best player on the board. i see us grabing an LB or defensive lineman then a corner in the 2nd if someone decent is avaliable

ricardisimo
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
This is a deep cornerback draft, one of the deepest in recent memory by most everyone's estimation. Translation: there's no need to overpay for a quality corner. Any of the top 10-15 cornerbacks this year can and should be solid starters by 2012 at the latest. This list is just one of many, but all of the top 12 will be pretty much the same no matter who's making it:

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
Height: 6-1. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2011): Top 4 Pick.
Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Projected Round (2011): Top 10 Pick.
Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2011): Top 25 Pick.
Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
Projected Round (2011): 2.
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
Height: 6-1. Weight: 189.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2011): 2.
Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
Height: 6-0. Weight: 180.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2011): 2-3.
Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina
Height: 5-9. Weight: 181.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech
Height: 5-10. Weight: 185.
Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
Height: 5-11. Weight: 185.
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Height: 6-1. Weight: 187.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2011): 2-4.
Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Height: 6-2. Weight: 200.
Projected Round (2011): 2-4.
DeMarcus Van Dyke, CB, Miami
Height: 6-1. Weight: 168.
Projected Round (2011): 3-5

If the Steelers really wanted to do so, they could have two of these guys with their first three picks, get an O-lineman with the other and feel pretty good about their draft.

.24lockdown
02-17-2011, 05:18 PM
If Jimmy Smith is still available at 31, take him.

GameTime55
02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Id love to see Jimmy slip to us as well but maybe we need to move up in the 2nd..not the first to get our CB and take BPA with 1st round.

Only two I could fathom moving up for, if any, in the second round might be Jimmy or Aaron Williams.

I think A. Williams is moving up boards though so he might even be gone before we make our first selection.

Saw somewhere via the internet.. pittsburgh website as well but cant remember which one that Steelers are saying they have some interest in Pouncey.

It wouldnt be horrible but we shouldnt get hung up on the whole twin brother thing here.

No bump here though...back to CBs:tt::tt::tt::tt:

.24lockdown
02-17-2011, 11:48 PM
It depends on what we're looking for. Jimmy Smith is REALLY good in man coverage and isnt afraid to tackle. To me he would be perfect since everyone is hating on Gay right now for not being able to cover 1on1

Fire Arians
02-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Id love to see Jimmy slip to us as well but maybe we need to move up in the 2nd..not the first to get our CB and take BPA with 1st round.

Only two I could fathom moving up for, if any, in the second round might be Jimmy or Aaron Williams.

I think A. Williams is moving up boards though so he might even be gone before we make our first selection.

Saw somewhere via the internet.. pittsburgh website as well but cant remember which one that Steelers are saying they have some interest in Pouncey.

It wouldnt be horrible but we shouldnt get hung up on the whole twin brother thing here.

No bump here though...back to CBs:tt::tt::tt::tt:

if pouncey falls to us we will definitely pick him. it's just the question of if he will or not. and it's looking unlikely, thanks to his brother performing so well. he shoulda entered the draft last year where he was expected to fall to round 2 or 3, we might have got them both lol

ricardisimo
02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
if pouncey falls to us we will definitely pick him. it's just the question of if he will or not. and it's looking unlikely, thanks to his brother performing so well. he shoulda entered the draft last year where he was expected to fall to round 2 or 3, we might have got them both lol
I have difficulty seeing a guard drafted before our slot. You need to be All-Universe as a guard to be drafted in the first round, seems to me. Pouncey's good, but I see him falling to us, or even early second round. Last year exactly one guard went in the first round - Iupati 17th overall - and given that it was the 49ers drafting him, there's a good argument to be made that he was a reach.

The year before the first guard - Andy Levitre - waited until the middle of the 2nd, and the next guard taken - Louis Vasquez - waited until the middle of the third. Previous years have similar results. The occasional Faneca comes by every decade, but otherwise you simply don't trade up to get a guard... and we certainly won't do it this year.

I'm seeing us draft Pouncey, then a corner (one of the Texas corners or Carmichael), then either a MLB or another corner. Where's that Carnac jpeg when I need it?

mesaSteeler
02-18-2011, 09:50 PM
This is a deep cornerback draft, one of the deepest in recent memory by most everyone's estimation. Translation: there's no need to overpay for a quality corner. Any of the top 10-15 cornerbacks this year can and should be solid starters by 2012 at the latest. This list is just one of many, but all of the top 12 will be pretty much the same no matter who's making it:

If the Steelers really wanted to do so, they could have two of these (CB) guys with their first three picks, get an O-lineman with the other and feel pretty good about their draft.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit:

GameTime55
02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
why not one corner, ol, and dl.

one of each. :tt04:

PhantomJB93
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm liking Jimmy Smith more and more every day, I think we should trade into the middle of the first and get him. I really think he could be our next "great" corner if we draft him.

I also think Pouncey could actually end up slipping very late as well, I think as draft time grows nearer teams are going to realize he's not as good as his brother, and also interior lineman are never very popular before the late first/mid second unless they're STUDS, which Pouncey wasn't this past year. Just saying I wouldn't rule out him dropping a lot farther than most draft analysts are saying, if we're lucky we could trade up in the second as well and snag Pouncey AND Jimmy Smith...

Rick5895
02-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Where we draft the likely hood of a top corner who will make immediate impact will be gone. We could get an interior offensive lineman that could start at RG right away. If the Steelers decide that CB is a big need, Jonathon joseph is a free agent and would be an upgrade over Mcfadden or Gay.

Moving up from 31 to mid or higher 1st round to get a top CB would cost us too much. We still have a pretty good D and we can draft a CB in the 2nd. Butler didn't play much because he wasn't much on ST. But any film I have sen on him indicates he can cover pretty well. I am hopeful the light comes on for him at training camp.

mcg24
02-19-2011, 03:58 PM
If the Steelers decide that CB is a big need, Jonathon joseph is a free agent and would be an upgrade over Mcfadden or Gay.

Ok, let's be realistic here. We are not going to sign Joseph.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Why not? He would be a great pickup-- maybe he could intercept some of the other teams' passes and run them back for TDs instead of Ben's. Don't the Steelers have a lot of cap room right now?

mcg24
02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Why not? He would be a great pickup-- maybe he could intercept some of the other teams' passes and run them back for TDs instead of Ben's. Don't the Steelers have a lot of cap room right now?

I know he would be a great pickup, but we aren't going to sign him. We never sign big name free agents, why would we start now? And Joseph is going to want a load of cash, we would have to overpay him.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I know he would be a great pickup, but we aren't going to sign him. We never sign big name free agents, why would we start now? And Joseph is going to want a load of cash, we would have to overpay him.

I hear what you are saying, but the Steelers never signed aging veterans and superstars to big contracts either, until they made Polamalu the highest paid safety in the league in (2007?), until they gave Ben a $100 million contract, or gave Silverback a $57 million contract.

Admittedly, I have not looked at the official stats to see where JonathanJoseph stacks up against the rest of the CBs in the league, but I don't recall ever hearing his name when conversations about elite CBs came up. However, having to play them twice every season, we are more familiar with Cincy's personnel and we as Steeler fans know Joseph's capbiliites, but does the rest of the league?

Just hypothetical, not trying to be argumentative.....

ricardisimo
02-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I hear what you are saying, but the Steelers never signed aging veterans and superstars to big contracts either, until they made Polamalu the highest paid safety in the league in (2007?), until they gave Ben a $100 million contract, or gave Silverback a $57 million contract.

Admittedly, I have not looked at the official stats to see where JonathanJoseph stacks up against the rest of the CBs in the league, but I don't recall ever hearing his name when conversations about elite CBs came up. However, having to play them twice every season, we are more familiar with Cincy's personnel and we as Steeler fans know Joseph's capbiliites, but does the rest of the league?

None of those guys were really what you should call "aging veterans". Even Harrison had very little wear on his tires, relatively speaking, when they signed him. I don't know what you mean by not signing superstars. Their entire 70s roster were superstars, and were continuously resigned as needed. :noidea:

And no, we're not going to be signing Joseph.

SH-Rock
02-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm liking Jimmy Smith more and more every day, I think we should trade into the middle of the first and get him. I really think he could be our next "great" corner if we draft him.

I also think Pouncey could actually end up slipping very late as well, I think as draft time grows nearer teams are going to realize he's not as good as his brother, and also interior lineman are never very popular before the late first/mid second unless they're STUDS, which Pouncey wasn't this past year. Just saying I wouldn't rule out him dropping a lot farther than most draft analysts are saying, if we're lucky we could trade up in the second as well and snag Pouncey AND Jimmy Smith...

And because of this I don't think he'll be there when we draft.

mcg24
02-19-2011, 08:57 PM

No I understand what you are saying. True, we didn't give guys huge contracts to guys, but in all honesty I don't think we are overpaying James, Troy, or Ben by one penny.

I've heard Joseph considered a big time corner many times, and if I haven't heard about him I hear about the duo that is Hall and Joseph plenty of times in a year. I agree with you, I'd love to have him, I just don't see it happening.

Rick5895
02-20-2011, 05:31 AM

I never said we would sign Joseph, I only mentioned he was a free agent and would be an upgrade. I get the feeling the Steelers are not overly concerned about the D. I am sure if one of the top corners fall to 31 we will take him, but I get the feeling the Steelers think Butler will turn out to be another Taylor.
Another pro bowl player now available is Atogwe, but we won't get him either. If the Steelers believe they need to improve the secondary immediately there are options out in free agency. But I am with you on the point, MCG, that we likely won't be players in free agency.

Atlanta Dan
02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
NYT has the lengthy transcript of Mike Mayco*k of NFL Network discussing the draft

Q. Given what you said about the cornerbacks, do you view that is a position that will take at the end of the first round? And what do you think are the best positions for them to target at the end of the first round?

MAYOCK: I think corner and offensive line are their two most obvious areas of need. Pittsburgh is one of those teams that typically takes the highest rated player at their biggest position of need. And Kevin has done a great job with that.

Remember, these are my preferences. Pittsburgh might like the kid from Texas. They might like the kid from Miami. I happen to think the kid from Miami to me is a second or third round corner. He’s not a first round corner.

The kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, to me I’m still trying to figure him out. I’ve watched about three or four of his tapes, and he’s the guy that could fit in at the end of the first round.

Aaron Williams, I think would be interesting to them. He’ll tackle. He’s kind of a physical guy, bigger corner. He might be the guy that they look at. If it’s not corner, then I think it has to be offensive line.

I thought they did a great job keeping it together with all the injuries they’ve had this year. But they’ve got to go get one of those big tackles that I’ve already mentioned or get one of those inside guys. One way or another, they’ve got to upgrade the athleticism of the offensive line.

These were May****'s earlier comments on cornerbacks

After Amukamara and Patrick Peterson, there is a drop off. And I’m not sure the kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, and I’m not sure ‑‑ I don’t like the Miami kid up are there, Brandon Harris

The inside guys and tackles were discussed by May**** earlier in the conference call last week

Whether it’s Castonzo from B.C. or Solder or Tyron Smith or Carimi. Those four guys are all first round tackles....

And I think out of that group, Carimi’s probably better on the right side but could handle the left. I also think Derek Sherrod from Mississippi State is a guy that a lot of people have in the second round that probably could be a first round left tackle.

I think Pouncey from Florida probably is gone at that point. Couple of guys I’m intrigued by are Danny Watkin from Baylor, and Clint Boling who played tackle at Georgia. Both of them were tackles in college. Both of them I believe will be interior linemen.

Watkins is a Canadian kid who has only played four or five years of football. He’s got some upside. He’s a tough, nasty kid. And Boling is a better football player than I gave him credit for. I liked what he did at The Senior Bowl.

He’s probably more of a second round guy. But there are some pretty good interior guys.

John Moffitt from Wisconsin, another second or third round interior guy. He can play center or guard, and Rodney Hudson from Florida State is another guy who has played guard. I think he might be a better center to be honest with you.

I could give you a bunch of different names because, for instance, Marcus Cannon from TCU is a kid who played tackle. I think he’s better at guard. There is a small school kid named William Rackley from Lehigh who you could get from the third and fourth round, so I think he’ll be a starter in the league.

It’s a pretty good year for interior offensive linemen. You don’t necessarily have to get them in the first round.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/mike-mayocks-thoughts-on-combine/?ref=sports

.24lockdown
02-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Actually, the more and more i watch stuff from jimmy smith and aaron williams....the more i dont think jimmy smith will be our guy. He presses a lot and doesnt do well playing against the run. Aaron Williams is a guy who can cover, but his style is more of a read the play first. This is what we do, and is why our corners play off so often (also to prevent the big play). He is great against the run, and I think will fit into our system PERFECTLY.

I would want us to get him in the first, however, I have a feeling our first round pick will not be a cb. I think the steelers will settle for a guy like ras-i dowling to meet our cb need. He reminds me a LOT of Ike Taylor. I don't think his cover skills or his hands are as good as Aaron Williams, but is still great on the run and will probably be a 2nd-3rd rounder.
This is just my gut feeling on what will happen, but I really REALLY hope we get Aaron Williams in the 1st.

BehindSteelCurtain
02-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Our first round pick will be aaron williams....He's a true athletic freakk it looks like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk4QdMwWy6Q

ricardisimo
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
NYT has the lengthy transcript of Mike Mayco*k of NFL Network discussing the draft

Q. Given what you said about the cornerbacks, do you view that is a position that will take at the end of the first round? And what do you think are the best positions for them to target at the end of the first round?

MAYOCK: I think corner and offensive line are their two most obvious areas of need. Pittsburgh is one of those teams that typically takes the highest rated player at their biggest position of need. And Kevin has done a great job with that.

Remember, these are my preferences. Pittsburgh might like the kid from Texas. They might like the kid from Miami. I happen to think the kid from Miami to me is a second or third round corner. He’s not a first round corner.

The kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, to me I’m still trying to figure him out. I’ve watched about three or four of his tapes, and he’s the guy that could fit in at the end of the first round.

Aaron Williams, I think would be interesting to them. He’ll tackle. He’s kind of a physical guy, bigger corner. He might be the guy that they look at. If it’s not corner, then I think it has to be offensive line.

I thought they did a great job keeping it together with all the injuries they’ve had this year. But they’ve got to go get one of those big tackles that I’ve already mentioned or get one of those inside guys. One way or another, they’ve got to upgrade the athleticism of the offensive line.

These were May****'s earlier comments on cornerbacks

After Amukamara and Patrick Peterson, there is a drop off. And I’m not sure the kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, and I’m not sure ‑‑ I don’t like the Miami kid up are there, Brandon Harris

The inside guys and tackles were discussed by May**** earlier in the conference call last week

Whether it’s Castonzo from B.C. or Solder or Tyron Smith or Carimi. Those four guys are all first round tackles....

And I think out of that group, Carimi’s probably better on the right side but could handle the left. I also think Derek Sherrod from Mississippi State is a guy that a lot of people have in the second round that probably could be a first round left tackle.

I think Pouncey from Florida probably is gone at that point. Couple of guys I’m intrigued by are Danny Watkin from Baylor, and Clint Boling who played tackle at Georgia. Both of them were tackles in college. Both of them I believe will be interior linemen.

Watkins is a Canadian kid who has only played four or five years of football. He’s got some upside. He’s a tough, nasty kid. And Boling is a better football player than I gave him credit for. I liked what he did at The Senior Bowl.

He’s probably more of a second round guy. But there are some pretty good interior guys.

John Moffitt from Wisconsin, another second or third round interior guy. He can play center or guard, and Rodney Hudson from Florida State is another guy who has played guard. I think he might be a better center to be honest with you.

I could give you a bunch of different names because, for instance, Marcus Cannon from TCU is a kid who played tackle. I think he’s better at guard. There is a small school kid named William Rackley from Lehigh who you could get from the third and fourth round, so I think he’ll be a starter in the league.

It’s a pretty good year for interior offensive linemen. You don’t necessarily have to get them in the first round.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/mike-mayocks-thoughts-on-combine/?ref=sports
His name is Mayock... why's that getting starred out on SFF?

Our first round pick will be aaron williams....He's a true athletic freakk it looks like....

The more I think about it, the more I believe O-Line will be first. Corner is just deeper this year, and they can risk letting it slide until the second round. If Pouncey is available, we're taking him, for sure. I don't believe it's as impossible as Mayock seems to think. How many teams are needing a guard in the first round? Only teams that are pretty much already set everywhere else might do it.

.24lockdown
02-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Yup. PLUS he would fit our system

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
His name is Mayock... why's that getting starred out on SFF?.

I misspelled the name

pete74
02-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Actually, the more and more i watch stuff from jimmy smith and aaron williams....the more i dont think jimmy smith will be our guy. He presses a lot and doesnt do well playing against the run. Aaron Williams is a guy who can cover, but his style is more of a read the play first. This is what we do, and is why our corners play off so often (also to prevent the big play). He is great against the run, and I think will fit into our system PERFECTLY.

I would want us to get him in the first, however, I have a feeling our first round pick will not be a cb. I think the steelers will settle for a guy like ras-i dowling to meet our cb need. He reminds me a LOT of Ike Taylor. I don't think his cover skills or his hands are as good as Aaron Williams, but is still great on the run and will probably be a 2nd-3rd rounder.
This is just my gut feeling on what will happen, but I really REALLY hope we get Aaron Williams in the 1st.

im glad someone else sees it. jimmy smith is a really good corner but he plays horrible against the run. everything just assumes he plays the run well since he is a big cb but thats not true. he gets overpowered by wr's all the time