PDA

View Full Version : New guy thinks Whiz may be groomed...

gratefuled
05-10-2006, 03:30 AM
I am new to the forum, and I would like to say thanks for the info I've gotten from reading it.

But has anyone else thought Whiz didn't take the job in Oakland cause he may become the HC in another 2 or 3 years. BC establishing his legacy with a SB win, him buying a house in NC. Lebeau already taking his shot in cincy may have scared him off of being a HC.

Steel Pit
05-10-2006, 05:05 AM
I am new to the forum, and I would like to say thanks for the info I've gotten from reading it.

But has anyone else thought Whiz didn't take the job in Oakland cause he may become the HC in another 2 or 3 years. BC establishing his legacy with a SB win, him buying a house in NC. Lebeau already taking his shot in cincy may have scared him off of being a HC.

I agree 100% with your entire thread. Makes more sense than Russ Grimm, LMAO.

Suitanim
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Could be possible...but the reason he didn't take the Raiders job was the same reason every other sane coach passed it up...who wants to work for a crazy man?

clevestinks
05-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Who would want to work for Al Davis?

But I did think the same thing that you did, BUT I think it will be another defensive minded coach. Defense first in the Burgh!

Big D
05-10-2006, 09:27 AM
i agree with all you. look who takes the raider job. coaching rejects. Norv turner perfect example. the only crediable hire al has had in the past 25 years is flores. Art shell sucks he had many hall of famers on his roster and still couldnt get it done. **** the raiders. GO Steelers we got you in the black hole this year

silver & black
05-10-2006, 04:19 PM
i agree with all you. look who takes the raider job. coaching rejects. Norv turner perfect example. the only crediable hire al has had in the past 25 years is flores. Art shell sucks he had many hall of famers on his roster and still couldnt get it done. **** the raiders. GO Steelers we got you in the black hole this year

You seem to forget Gruden... not even remotely a coaching reject.

Art shell sucks? He had a winning record, 54-38, and a playoff appearance.

I understand if Steeler fans hate the Raiders, thats cool but, get your facts straight before flapping your gums.

It was because of that "crazy man" that the CBA was renewed this year. You can all hate on Al all you want but, the truth is, the NFL would not be what it is today without him.

I am looking forward to our game with the Steelers this year... very doubtful we will win but, it will be fun all the same. Our teams have played some of the greatest games ever!

VolatileMan
05-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I agree 100% with your entire thread. Makes more sense than Russ Grimm, LMAO.

Hey love the pict of 'fighting back'!!

I just happen to have an autographed copy :busted:

VolatileMan

Midnightwriter07
05-10-2006, 06:49 PM
no Whiz is not being groomed for Steelers job and if we didnt go so far into playoffs, he prolly would have had one of the other vancant jobs.. He is on the short list for vacancies next year.. possibly S.D, Tennessee, Baltimore to name a few and with so many new head coaches this year... there are a few that will prolly be gone after year two or three when they dont turn crummy ass teams around. By Looking at Cowhers face during and after the daft, i dont see him looking like he wants to go anywhere and him and Colbert have a great thing going with no clashes within the organization as most teams do. Love Grimm and Whiz both, but i think they will take off way before Cowher is ready to hang it up.

tony hipchest
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
underrated is the fact that cowher is not a quitter. there are many coaches out there much older than cowher who love their wives, families, home, and relaxation. they also love the competition and their careers. cowher is no different and knows hes in the middle of establishing a legacy, in the city he loves, and in the nfl.

Midnightwriter07
05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I think a better question of if Whiz is gonna take over his job, a more formidable question would be .. when is all said and done, will Cowher or Noll be the Coach that people identify with as Steelers football. Noll won early and has the 4 SuperBowls ... Cowher has always won as well and got his first one late... Will Cowher have to win 3 more for Steeler fans and non Steeler fans to put him up there with Noll or is the fact that it is a different era and maybe a little more difficult to win that Superbowl with free agency and team revenue as well as consistancy an equalizer ?

tony hipchest
05-10-2006, 07:16 PM
i dont think the difficulties in todays nfl will be an equalizer. not only does cowher have to try to live up to noll, he has to live up to belichick as far as being the coaching face of the nfl. but his longevity in the sport (say he coaches another 10 years) will definitely put him right up there in pittsburgh lore. i think if cowher wins 2 more sb he would be as regarded as noll is. hell people already wanna put belichick above noll and lombardi.

clevestinks
05-10-2006, 08:09 PM
i dont think the difficulties in todays nfl will be an equalizer. not only does cowher have to try to live up to noll, he has to live up to belichick as far as being the coaching face of the nfl. but his longevity in the sport (say he coaches another 10 years) will definitely put him right up there in pittsburgh lore. i think if cowher wins 2 more sb he would be as regarded as noll is. hell people already wanna put belichick above noll and lombardi.
Its to bad that Cowher could possibly win three Super Bowl Trophies in Pittsburgh, and still only be the second best QB. Oh well life is good anyway!

Stlrs4Life
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Could be possible...but the reason he didn't take the Raiders job was the same reason every other sane coach passed it up...who wants to work for a crazy man?

I agree. I think Whis is just buying time. And think this ebntire BC thing is blown way out of proportion.

gratefuled
05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
If Cowher still has several more years in him do you think It may be because he has deligated more of the control to his assistants over the last few years. I think he has begun to trust those around him and has relieved some of the coaching pressure that he had been under. A good HC surrounds himself with the best possible people and then lets them do their job with little interference.

Midnightwriter07
05-11-2006, 02:31 AM
I think Cowher has given more control to his assistants because they are good at what they do. but more importanlty in my opinion.... is because he has more control as a whole over the football team. When Donahoe was here, i think he ran everything and had final say on alll personel and decision making. I think Cowher has most of that pull now with the HELP of Colbert and they are able to work together.

The Rooneys extended Cowher's contract even after coming off losing years so i dont think that just becuase Cowher won a SuperBowl or because we went 15-1 the prior year that he was going anywhere. The Rooney's i dont think were going to let him go by thierr choice. They obviously believed in him and didnt listen to critics and disgruntled fans who felt that Cowher wasnt a fit for this organization and couldnt wait to get him out and blaming all failures of any kind soley on him. Good thing the Rooney's own this team.

clevestinks
05-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Cowher Power needs another ten year run in the Burgh